Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin question

Options
  • 18-06-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I stupidly saved my spin instead of restarting after pausing and had to record a new one for the rest of the way home. Does anyone know if it's possible to join two spins in Strava? Bear in mind I'm technically brain dead!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I've used this to merge 2 garmin files pretty easily before. Just export the 2 strava rides and use the link to merge them. It can then import it straight back in to your strava if you wish.

http://gotoes.org/strava/Combine_GPX_TCX_FIT_Files.php

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Going to jump in here with another question in a similar vein - thanks.

If my Garmin battery goes dead on a long ride and I switch to Strava on my iPhone, can the two rides from different devices be merged?

(I'm also brain dead when it comes to technical stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Going to jump in here with another question in a similar vein - thanks.

If my Garmin battery goes dead on a long ride and I switch to Strava on my iPhone, can the two rides from different devices be merged?

(I'm also brain dead when it comes to technical stuff!)

I can't see any reason why not. But there's a chance the garmin file will be corrupted, mine was after it shut down by itself (for no reason, not a dead battery).

If you can't merge 2 files with different extensions (fit and gpx) with my link then you could import your garmin file to strava, export it as gpx along with your strava one and merge the 2 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

If you upload both Garmin and iPhone rides to strava and then export as gpx , an XML format, then it should be possible to copy the readings in the iPhone one into the appropriate location in the Garmin one and then upload. This requires some familiarity with text editors and XML, which may not be for the faint hearted.
    There may be some online tools to do it, but I am not familiar with those. I know this is not the answer requested but I only know the techie way, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Thanks for the replies lads. I've decided to just leave it and not let my Strava ocd get the better of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yes i've done it before using a trace from my forerunner and from my edge 800 using the link above. very easily done tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ive done a few adventure races but rather than have 2 devices i just record the lot as a bike is there a tool or is it in a link above to split the disciplines afterwards??

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Ive done a few adventure races but rather than have 2 devices i just record the lot as a bike is there a tool or is it in a link above to split the disciplines afterwards??

I havn't used it but the strava website I think does this. Go to the activity and click the spanner then "split". What happens after that I can't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

You can always stop and reset the device after each section of the event. Only takes 5 seconds!

• Advertisement

Takca wrote: »
    I havn't used it but the strava website I think does this. Go to the activity and click the spanner then "split". What happens after that I can't tell you.

I would be afraid to lose the all the data knowing my look i would delete it...

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You can always stop and reset the device after each section of the event. Only takes 5 seconds!

Ah you have a race dibber to be worrying about at each station so your already losing time with that...

Advertisement