Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclamen - brown protuberance

Options
  • 18-06-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Both Cyclamen plants have a brown oval shaped growth on the plant stem at soil level.
    What is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not part of the corm itself, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The seed pods can look like that, but they are usually on a stalk. Could be a cormlet. A pic would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Looked 'corm' up and I think that's what it is - brown, semi-scaly. Never knew of that.
    Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

They are similar to a bulb - a food store for dormancy. You can transplant them easily at this stage and fill your garden with cyclamens!

Silly question. Why do they rise/grow above soil level? I don't recall seeing bulbs such as dahlias appearing above ground. Would I sub-divide the corum to transplant and " fill the garden with cyclamen"? It looks like one large piece.

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    Silly question. Why do they rise/grow above soil level? I don't recall seeing bulbs such as dahlias appearing above ground. Would I sub-divide the corum to transplant and " fill the garden with cyclamen"? It looks like one large piece.

Ok. All you greenfingers out there, relax. Ive googled and learned a little

Corms are analogous to bulbs, tubers etc. The grow slightly above ground. Why? They just do! Unlike tubers they are not sub-divided. Replanting them is to be at about 1/2 inch below soil level.
    I think when and if I transpant them, the corm will grow bigger and produce more plants and flowers. Nice thought for later. Me, I'm more a dahlia and rose person. Did a lot of small house garden stuff with my parents when I was young - probably to keep me out of trouble. One time they came first in National Small Gardens awards. Maybe some of it will show it 'rubbed off' eventually now that I'm semi-retired.

Advertisement