Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question.

Options
  • 18-06-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Currently I have a 2012 Vw caddy and it's insured with insure my van. The insurance is up in December and I am planning on selling it before that( in the next 2-3 months) I've bought (haven't got it yet) a 2011 ford transit which is replacing the caddy but I need the 2 insured at the same time for a couple of months as I have to put the transit on Irish plates, test it, service it and shelve it, kit it out etc. And can't be without a van while doing so.
    IMV want 2 grand to insure it for the year! so that's a non runner. I think it's because of not taking over my no claims as it's used on the caddy.
    Has anyone any options or advice of what I could do?
    27, male, no previous claims
    When the caddy is sold I'll be on the lookout for a car but will be in no real rush to buy one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Buy the transit and do whatever work you need to do on it before you insure it. Keep using the caddy until you insure/use the transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

goz83 wrote: »
    Buy the transit and do whatever work you need to do on it before you insure it. Keep using the caddy until you insure/use the transit.

Yes but I've an hours journey to get it home then need to bring it to mechanic, vrt place, test centre, paint shop. This will be mostly done on evenings and weekends as can't take off work so will be a month or more and would need it insured for this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dupont wrote: »
    Yes but I've an hours journey to get it home then need to bring it to mechanic, vrt place, test centre, paint shop. This will be mostly done on evenings and weekends as can't take off work so will be a month or more and would need it insured for this

Get it towed. Be a lot cheaper than insuring it.

Are there other insurance company's that would allow 2 commercials on the same policy. Is it possible to get a temporary insurance for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dupont wrote: »
    Are there other insurance company's that would allow 2 commercials on the same policy. Is it possible to get a temporary insurance for a couple of months

I don't think it's possible in this country. I know that you can get fleet insurance but I don't know how many vehicles you need or how much, only way to know is call them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Temporary transfer of insurance. Call insurer and tell them what time you need the transit insured for. You'll get away with doing it a couple of times but they will charge a fee if you keep doing it. If you're with a broker, you will get charged a fee every time.

goz83 wrote: »
    Temporary transfer of insurance. Call insurer and tell them what time you need the transit insured for. You'll get away with doing it a couple of times but they will charge a fee if you keep doing it. If you're with a broker, you will get charged a fee every time.

I've being looking into this but am I correct in saying they won't insure you if the other vechicle is owned by the same person?

Advertisement