Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So dumb from the officials. Ruins the contest too, with an awful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

monkey9 wrote: »
    Those English players are really getting into the oul diving big time

Beating those Italians at their own game.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rodriguez must be braindead to stick his hand out like that. Players will always go down if given the slightest chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Same old arsenal always cheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

davycc wrote: »

Yeah its only arsenal who cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That peno call looks worse the more you see it.

Sporting have avoided an upset by getting a goal in Extra-Time to beat Plzen. Lyon meanwhile have seen their first leg 1-0 lead cancelled out thanks to a great strike from CSKA's Golovin. Dortmund still needing a goal against Salzburg.

It you feel contact you have to go down.

Says Alan shearer. Thats the message nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

:D from a Spurs fan of all fans. Dele Alli??

:D from a Spurs fan of all fans. Dele Alli??

Kane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That virus that attacks the middle ear has spread across North London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

It you feel contact you have to go down.

Says Alan shearer. Thats the message nowadays.

I think he's says if you're fouled you have to go down, which is a huge difference.

Martin Keown talking about "the swaz on the ball as the youngsters call it". :pac:

Flincher wrote: »
    I think he's says if you're fouled you have to go down, which is a huge difference.

Nope.

Pundits now say if theres contact you have to go down or you're manager wont be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That peno call looks worse the more you see it.

Sporting have avoided an upset by getting a goal in Extra-Time to beat Plzen. Lyon meanwhile have seen their first leg 1-0 lead cancelled out thanks to a great strike from CSKA's Golovin. Dortmund still needing a goal against Salzburg.

Dortmund need 2

Nope.

Pundits now say if theres contact you have to go down or you're manager wont be happy.

The pundits i'm watching on BT Sport all called it a terrible dive and terrible decision anyway..

Nope.

I'd a quick Google of Shearer's comments and I can't find anything other than him condemning diving. I don't think anyone has a problem with a player who has been fouled not staying on their feet, which I certainly recall him saying on MOTD. If you can link to whatever comments you're on about that would be great because for all his flaws, I'd considered Shearer strong on diving.

That virus that attacks the middle ear has spread across North London.

It's called Deleitis, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

From a spurs fan... will ya ever ask me hole.

100% dive and I hate to see it, but to make out like ye lot aren't much much worse is laughable.

Flincher wrote: »
    I'd a quick Google of Shearer's comments and I can't find anything other than him condemning diving. I don't think anyone has a problem with a player who has been fouled not staying on their feet, which I certainly recall him saying on MOTD. If you can link to whatever comments you're on about that would be great because for all his flaws, I'd considered Shearer strong on diving.

Ok not shearer.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/jmurphy/english-media-refuse-even-discuss-harry-kanes-dive-vs-liverpool/

"There was a time when the likes of Lionel Messi were lauded for staying on their feet in the face of hefty challenges in and around the box. Nowadays, Premier League forwards are likely to be castigated for staying on their feet in the face of even the slightest touch"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Lyon are in trouble

Lyon are in trouble

Looks like they're toast. They're missing their talisman Fekir but they still should be looking to beat CSKA at home.

Ok not shearer.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/jmurphy/english-media-refuse-even-discuss-harry-kanes-dive-vs-liverpool/

"There was a time when the likes of Lionel Messi were lauded for staying on their feet in the face of hefty challenges in and around the box. Nowadays, Premier League forwards are likely to be castigated for staying on their feet in the face of even the slightest touch"

The way you write that suggests that it was said by a pundit... but it wasn't said by anyone during any punditry, it's just written by the author of that article, some chap named "John Murphy", who seems to just be some random guy from Cork with his own sports website.

So I'm not sure that works as backup of your point that; "Pundits now say if theres contact you have to go down or you're manager wont be happy."

Arsenal wrap it up with some exceptionally poor goalkeeping

Sh!te goalkeeping. Not overly surprised mind

Oh Donnarumma! What a howler.

• Advertisement

That's Arsenal through. Have a feeling that they are going to go on and win this. Arsene will keep his job as a result.

Over the two legs, Milan have been exceptionally poor. They've been nothing above Championship level if I'm being honest. Considering their league form, Serie A must be in an even worse state than I thought.

Berserker wrote: »
    That's Arsenal through. Have a feeling that they are going to go on and win this. Arsene will keep his job as a result.

I hope you’re right, but a long way to go in this competition yet. Imo Wenger will never be sacked by Arsenal, so he is here next season regardless of what happens. He shouldn’t be offered a new deal though to stay on past summer 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Credit to Arsenal in fairness. Milan were a very form team coming into this tie.

Lyon 2-3 now with 12 minutes left.

• Advertisement

Two penalty calls have been huge in this tie. Calhanoglu staying on his feet after Ospina tripped him in Milan, and Welbeck going to ground after a nothing challenge tonight that got a penalty. It could and probably should be 3-2 going into the last ten minutes instead of 4-1. I would agree Arsenal merit going through but I think the scoreline flatters them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly think that Ozil looked almost too good for Arsenal out there tonight. You could see him getting frustrated when he was putting the ball into places where there should be people attacking it, but there weren't making the runs he expected of them.

Quazzie wrote:
    Over the two legs, Milan have been exceptionally poor. They've been nothing above Championship level if I'm being honest.

They've been shyte but what utter nonsense to post

ERG89 wrote: »
    They've been shyte but what utter nonsense to post

Care to point out which part of it?

Ok not shearer.

There's a hell of a leap from one of the leading pundits on the most watched highlights show to an appallingly written fluff piece on a clickbait site, but I'll take your point.

Welbeck with his second. Just in time for his England recall.

He'll keep Kane out of the team :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Credit to Arsenal in fairness. Milan were a very form team coming into this tie.

Not to take anything away from them but Milan have looked sh!te over the two legs. Think it’s a case of looking good in a poor league.

Honestly think that Ozil looked almost too good for Arsenal out there tonight. You could see him getting frustrated when he was putting the ball into places where there should be people attacking it, but there weren't making the runs he expected of them.

Well Lacazette and Aubameyang are missing. The two of them make great runs, week in week out. Welbeck is a massive step down from them two players.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not to take anything away from them but Milan have looked sh!te over the two legs. Think it’s a case of looking good in a poor league.

Arsenal were knocked out of the FA Cup by a lower half Championship side. It's silly to judge teams (and leagues) based on one or two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The other Red Bull knocking out BVB that’s a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Milan were good up until the Arsenal penalty area. They're still short one or two genuine goal threats.

Could be some weird dodgy connotations if the RB clubs end up facing each other... would anyone be surprised by Salzburg effectively giving their big brother an easy time of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

2nd Leg Results
    Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS) 1 V 5 Atlético Madrid (ESP) (Agg 1-8)
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 0 V 2 Lazio (ITA) (Agg 2-4)
    Zenit (RUS) 1 V 1 RB Leipzig (GER) (Agg 2-3)
    Athletic Club (ESP) 1 V 2 Marseille (FRA) AET (Agg 2-5)
    Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) 2 V 1 Sporting CP (POR) (Agg 2-3)
    Arsenal (ENG) 3 V 1 AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 5-1)
    Salzburg (AUT) 0 V 0 Borussia Dortmund (GER) (Agg 2-1)
    Lyon (FRA) 2 V 3 CSKA Moskva (RUS) (Agg 3-3) CSKA Moskva (RUS) win on Away goals

Quarter Final Line up
    Atlético Madrid (ESP)
    Lazio (ITA)
    RB Leipzig (GER)
    Marseille (FRA)
    Sporting CP (POR)
    Arsenal (ENG)
    Salzburg (AUT)
    CSKA Moskva (RUS)

Lyon out on away goals. Very disappointing result for them with the final being held there. Here's the 8 quarter-finalists:

Atletico Madrid
    Marseille
    Lazio
    Sporting Lisbon
    RB Leipzig
    Arsenal
    Red Bull Salzburg
    CSKA Moscow

The English club drawing the Russian club would certainly be interesting in the current political climate.

Quazzie wrote:
    Care to point out which part of it?

The part where you said they are little more than a championship team. A pure hot take when the league has 2 teams in the last 8 in the champions league but yeah Aston Villa or Sunderland are as good I'm sure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Red Bull vs Red Bull would be an intersting draw for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Could be some weird dodgy connotations if the RB clubs end up facing each other... would anyone be surprised by Salzburg effectively giving their big brother an easy time of it?

Couldn't see that happening when you factor in it would be Austria v Germany. The Austrians generally have a similar approach to Germans as the Celtic nations have towards England. No way would an Irish, Welsh or Scottish club go halfheartedly against an English one. Don't expect an Austrian one to do any different against a German one. Then factor in that the prize money in the Europa League is chicken feed for a German club but very significant to an Austrian one.

Great atmosphere in Salzburg tonight. You could hear what it meant to the fans.

FCIM wrote: »
    Couldn't see that happening when you factor in it would be Austria v Germany. The Austrians generally have a similar approach to Germans as the Celtic nations have towards England. No way would an Irish, Welsh or Scottish club go halfheartedly against an English one. Don't expect an Austrian one to do any different against a German one. Then factor in that the prize money in the Europa League is chicken feed for a German club but very significant to an Austrian one.

Great atmosphere in Salzburg tonight. You could hear what it meant to the fans.

I mean, normally yes, if it was any other German and Austrian team, but in this case they're both one organization. One entity, with their finances coming from the same source. With Leipzig having the better chance of going all the way, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the equivalent of Formula-1's "team orders" taking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Loving the diversity of this quarter final. Each country has a representative cool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Berserker wrote: »

Atletico Madrid might have something to say about that. I'd make them favourites over Aresenal

Advertisement