Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bayern are a weird one; some of the players just aren't playing at the level they were 2 or 3 years ago (Alaba, Muller, Boateng, Hummels) & others like Ribery is clearly a shadow of who he was, Robben is getting on in years too. I said it in the summer i'm baffled they look at Coman & Gnabry(who's out on loan) as ever being replacements for them 2.
    I don't see how Ancelotti being sacked changes their fortunes long term, they'll probably win the Bundesliga as Dortmund aren't going to always keep clean sheets at the rate they have domestically.

Guardiola and Hitzfeld are the exceptions for Bayern getting to stick around as managers.

Otherwise, you get a year or two and get kicked out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

irishman86 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Klopp take over

I wasn't very serious, it's just there were rumours a few years ago that Bayern are sort of waiting for Klopp to prove himself ready.
    Personally I don't think Klopp and Bayern are compatible, but who knows.

Just read some words from Hoeness there. Apparently Ancelotti had lost the dressing room as they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I wasn't very serious, it's just there were rumours a few years ago that Bayern are sort of waiting for Klopp to prove himself ready.

You dont think hes proved himself?
    I think beating them to two titles would have been enough, rumour was he didnt want to step from Dortmund to Bayern
    After getting this Liverpool to the CL i think hes shown hes got the talent for a super club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Bayern chiefs were genuinely considering Klopp after he got relegated with Mainz and became available . They chose the other Jurgen and he turned out to be a "failure" (as Lahm put it)

I am pretty sure they would be convinced he could do the job after the last decade in management, particularly when he was pipping them to titles

• Advertisement

Well turns out they’re bringing Heynckes back out of retirement. Again.
    Just for this year though, to bring things back on track and buy some time to find a longer term successor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tuesday Games
    Group E

Spartak Moskva (RUS) V Sevilla (ESP) BT Sport Extra 3
    Maribor (SVN) V Liverpool (ENG) BT Sport ESPN / TV3

Group F
    Manchester City (ENG) V Napoli (ITA) BT Sport 3 / Eir Sports 1
    Feyenoord (NED) V Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) BT Sport Extra 6

Group G
    Monaco (FRA) V Beşiktaş (TUR) BT Sport Extra 4
    RB Leipzig (GER) V Porto (POR) BT Sport Extra 5

Group H
    APOEL (CYP) V Borussia Dortmund (GER) BT Sport Extra 2
    Real Madrid (ESP) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) BT Sport 2 / Eir Sports 2

Wednesday Games
    Group A

Benfica (POR) V Manchester United (ENG) BT Sport 2 / Showcase / RTE 2
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) V Basel (SUI) BT Sport Extra 5

Group B
    Anderlecht (BEL) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) BT Sport Extra 4
    Bayern München (GER) V Celtic (SCO) BT Sport ESPN / Eir Sports 2

Group C
    Qarabağ (AZE) V Atlético Madrid (ESP) BT Sport 2 / Eir Sports 1 5pm Kick off
    Chelsea (ENG) V Roma (ITA) BT Sport 3 / Eir Sports 1

Group D
    Juventus (ITA) V Sporting CP (POR) BT Sport Extra 3
    Barcelona (ESP) V Olympiacos (GRE) BT Sport Extra 2

TV3 showing Maribor v Liverpool over Spurs/Real Madrid.

Even City and napoli would be better match.

I get that it is supply and demand and our national channels pander to the large pool of United and Pool fans (I am a Utd fan fwiw myself) but it really devalues viewing and this is why many fans find the group stage so mundane.

Benfica are clearly very poor at the minute so I have little interest in watching that game either. Chelsea v Roma would have been a better pick.

Ah, well, over to BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Maybe when they showed Dortmund and Madrid they did not pull in the viewers so have gone back to showing Liverpool

Maybe when they showed Dortmund and Madrid they did not pull in the viewers so have gone back to showing Liverpool

Yeah, kudos for them for at least trying to do that, and it was a great game to watch. But, yes, not many Liverpool fans are going to miss watching their team playing in Champions League, naturally.

As I said, supply/demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I get that it is supply and demand and our national channels pander to the large pool of United and Pool fans (I am a Utd fan fwiw myself) but it really devalues viewing and this is why many fans find the group stage so mundane.

Benfica are clearly very poor at the minute so I have little interest in watching that game either. Chelsea v Roma would have been a better pick.

Ah, well, over to BT
    It's what they do over here. Broadcasters will pander to the masses. Look at the time City were playing Barca on the same night that Celtic were playing Gladbach. Common sense and objectivity would dictate that the City/Barca game was the one to show. But TV3 took the easy route and showed the Celtic game. It was annoying at the time (still is, actually), but what can you do? I don't have BT Sport, and what passes for broadband down here is not fast enough to be able to watch a stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Difficult choice choosing between the two big games tonight.

Madrid seem to be going through the motions so far this season so Spurs probably have a chance if they don't get too fazed by the occasion.

Might go with City Napoli though as its two sides playing at the top of their abilities clashing. Tonight's game may actually suit Napoli more than home game as they're so dangerous on the counter.

Me excite. Any neutral going with Liverpool game needs to take a look at themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

blueser wrote: »
    It's what they do over here. Broadcasters will pander to the masses. Look at the time City were playing Barca on the same night that Celtic were playing Gladbach. Common sense and objectivity would dictate that the City/Barca game was the one to show. But TV3 took the easy route and showed the Celtic game. It was annoying at the time (still is, actually), but what can you do? I don't have BT Sport, and what passes for broadband down here is not fast enough to be able to watch a stream.
    Did they not show Real-Dortmund last month instead of Liverpool? Still not gotten over that snub :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Think I'll go with madrid spurs but interested to see napoli play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm in the same boat trying to decide which of City/Napoli and Madrid/Spurs to watch. I'm leaning towards City vs Napoli. A shame one of these wasn't tomorrow as I don't think Wednesday has any game I would rate on a par with these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ah, well, over to BT

Strange, TV3 usually don't give in to the ManYoo/Liverpool fanboys if there's a better match available, not as bad as RTE anyway. Poor choice from TV3. I won't be watching their channel tonight

What the f*ck are Liverpool wearing!

Kilbane makes a comment about a "poor start" by Maribor after 14 seconds !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well Liverpool won't get lost today

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I keep forgetting: why do Man City fans continue to boo the Champions League tune?

looie wrote: »
    I keep forgetting: why do Man City fans continue to boo the Champions League tune?

a plethora of reasons, Balotelli being recipient of racism and those responsible (can't recall the team) being given a mere small fine, their paranoid conspiracy theory obsession that UEFA don't want them to beat the big teams and their issues with the Financial Fair Play

• Advertisement

1-0 to City. Sterling.

2-0 to City now. Gabriel Jesus. Napoli in trouble early here. Gorgeous ball from De Bruyne.

City are ridiculous! AIG was right, they are going to tear the league and maybe even Europe asunder this year!

OMG De Bruyne rattles the crossbar. So unlucky.

Spuds go one up, Varane own goal.

Real not all that bothered this season. Sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

City so good to watch. Hamsik is such a cool footballer to watch aswell.

Peno to Napoli. Walker pulling Albiol at a corner.

Ederson saves from Mertens!

Besiktas the shock of the Champions League so far. Ricky Quaresma has always showed moments of genius in his career but never consistent, bit of a nutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Salah, what are you at? That was Firmino's goal. I hope you were begging for forgiveness with that short prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Real not all that bothered this season. Sad to see.
    :confused: Don't think they're not trying here. They'll probably still win this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Peno to Napoli. Walker pulling Albiol at a corner.

Ederson saves from Mertens!

It's moments like that where I get a bad feeling about them winning the league. They just fail at the worst moments :(

Napoli I'm on about not city :rolleyes:

TheCitizen wrote: »
    :confused: Don't think they're not trying here. They'll probably still win this game.

Seen a lot of their league matches, they haven't had the same urgency as last couple of seasons.

Good reaction to the goal tonight though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Seen a lot of their league matches, they haven't had the same urgency as last couple of seasons.

Good reaction to the goal tonight though

Have to agree they're completely off the boil at the moment form wise. But I do still fancy them to "turn" their season around. (They're season ain't a disaster. Gotta love it wonder how Barca and Madrid would cope if they ever had a real crisis)

Great to see Augustin flying for Leipzig. I thought Emery could have utilised him a lot more last season.

Falcao continues to be immense for Monaco.

• Advertisement

Great to see Augustin flying for Leipzig. I thought Emery could have utilised him a lot more last season.

Just another French wonderkid. You really wonder how Arsenals third choice striker gets picked every game for the national team.

They could probably field three separate competitive sides at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

a plethora of reasons, Balotelli being recipient of racism and those responsible (can't recall the team) being given a mere small fine, their paranoid conspiracy theory obsession that UEFA don't want them to beat the big teams and their issues with the Financial Fair Play
    It was one of the Moscow sides; can't remember which one. Add to that the fact that we wefre supposed to play them behind closed doors, which meant our fans couldn't get into the ground, yet there were hundreds (if not thousands) of Moscow "officials" in the ground. Also, the fine we paid to UEFA re. FFP ended up being shared out among other CL sides. We have serious issues with that organisation.

Napoli very close to scoring there.

The BT commentators talking about how comfortable City are playing from the back and immediately Napoli win back possession and nearly score one. :pac:

Could be a great point for Spurs if they hang on, as Dortmund have gone a goal down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Napoli very close to scoring there.

The BT commentators talking about how comfortable City are playing from the back and immediately Napoli win back possession and nearly score one. :pac:

Yeah he also said what a battle it was going to be between the two Manchester clubs in December

Bit of a joker that chap

• Advertisement

Kane thwarted by Navas, should score though.

Another pen to Napoli!

And Diawara scores. All to play for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

First time watching the Goals show on BT properly, great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

2 great saves from Navas there.

5 minutes for Napoli to find an equaliser.

Update: All over now. City were worthy winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monaco & Dortmund with very poor results tonight. 1 point out of a possible 9 for both.
    Even Napoli now will need to beat City in the return fixture.
    Spartak with the result of the night. Didn't see that coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Great result for spurs, all but guaranteed to qualify now after Dortmund drew. Davinson Sanchez looks top class with a fantastic attitude

English teams on the up this year in the CL

I feel sorry for Monaco. It's hard to see them making the next round now. They were one of my favourites to watch last season but their team has been dismantled in the summer. It was always going to be very difficult to do well in a tricky Champions League group with a team in transition.

Great results for Liverpool and Spartak tonight. City looking good for the next round too. Besiktas look like potentially the surprise package this season. Spurs have done far better than I imagined as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Noel82 wrote: »
    Great result for spurs, all but guaranteed to qualify now after Dortmund drew.

Unless Dortmund win their remaining games and Spurs lose to Madrid at home and it goes down to hth. Not beyond the realms of possibility. Dortmund well capable of getting 9 points if they get the finger out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Brilliant result for spurs. Watched a lot of the first half and they were very good.

Liverpool also. Regardless of opposition smashing a team like that in Europe is something to be proud of.

And now I go for a shower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement