Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

dfx- wrote: »
    Roma get top prize there, big reward for topping their group.

The opposite is true of PSG - topped their group ahead of Bayern and got Real. Bayern finish 2nd and get Besiktas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great draws for City, Liverpool and United.City will easily beat Basel, Liverpool should beat Porto handy enough. Over two legs United should be able to beat Sevilla as they aren't great away from home.

I think Juventus and Barca will beat Spurs and ourselves although it wouldn't surprise me to see us or Spurs come through.

For the rest of the games I think PSG will beat Real, Bayern will beat Besiktas and I think Shakthar will cause an upset and knock out Roma.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

inforfun wrote: »
    Shakthar impressed me more than Napoli did when they both played Feyenoord
    Their huge winterbreak used to be a big problem for them though. Basically no competitive football for them till the CL KO

plus they're still playing hundreds of miles away aren't they?

The Roma side that battered Chelsea should be able to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep. Feyenoord played them in Kharkov
    But they are doing that for years now, should be used to that.

Roma might have played Chelsea of the pitch, a lot of their players are usually just 1 step away from going completely bat**** crazy.

But then again.... shakthar too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Some good draws

Slightly off topic but what sort of crowd do Besiktas bring away? in Munich the day they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

major bill wrote: »
    Some good draws

Slightly off topic but what sort of crowd do Besiktas bring away? in Munich the day they play.

A Turkish team in Germany? Expect way more than they normally bring.

Turkish live all over Europa and they will go to their away matches from Holland, Belgium, France, Germany et cetera.

Becoming more and more a problem for the home teams to make sure the fans are kept seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yep. Feyenoord played them in Kharkov
    But they are doing that for years now, should be used to that.

Roma might have played Chelsea of the pitch, a lot of their players are usually just 1 step away from going completely bat**** crazy.

But then again.... shakthar too

3 reds, 2 injury time goals, one a penalty and the other an OG. Has Alberto Moreno moved to Shaktar, by any chance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Some good draws

Have the dates and times been announced? The last 16 is spread over 4 weeks so the home tie could be on a Tuesday or Wednesday over 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Have the dates and times been announced? The last 16 is spread over 4 weeks so the home tie could be on a Tuesday or Wednesday over 2 weeks.

Thats actually a very good point, I just saw the 13th and 6th for all the matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

PSG v Real is the real standout tie of the round. If they were to play now you'd favour the french but a few months can be a long time of PSG playing in a substandard league not being tested much, they may come in a bit cold. This Madrid side are extremely battle hardened on European stage and think they'll have the intelligence to manage the game over two legs and do enough.

Bayern under Jupp look like my idea of champs though, he's got them back to close to their best which makes them formidable, handy draw too which can be half the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Update by dates
    13 Feb & 7th Mar

Juventus (ITA) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
    Basel (SUI) V Manchester City (ENG)

14th Feb & 6th Mar
    Porto (POR) V Liverpool (ENG)
    Real Madrid (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

20th Fev & 14th Mar
    Chelsea (ENG) V Barcelona (ESP)
    Bayern München (GER) V Beşiktaş (TUR)

21st Feb and 13th Mar
    Sevilla (ESP) V Manchester United (ENG)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) V Roma (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Emery must be cursing his luck. His PSG career hinges on doing well in Europe and in the last two seasons he has drawn Barcelona and Real Madrid in the last 16. That match looks the most mouthwatering of the clashes. I'd worry PSG lack a box-to-box destroyer to deal with Madrid's central midfield. Rabiot and Verratti are great on the ball but chasing after it isn't going to work out well. Motta's getting on these days. They let Krychowiak and Matuidi leave and now look light. Draxler has often played deep in their 4-3-3 this season but I can't see that against Madrid. Maybe they will look to bolster this area in January but it's tough to find a gem at this stage of the season.

Juventus vs Spurs looks another good tie. I'd fancy Juventus to have enough to go through but Spurs to make a good go of it at Wembley. Man City should progress against Basle. Interested to see how Sergio Conceicao fares against Liverpool. I wouldn't be shocked if Porto take a lead to Anfield, though Liverpool's attack deservedly make them favourites. Having said that, this imo could be the upset of the ties.

Chelsea vs Barcelona is another tasty one and I'd back Barcelona to advance. Bayern vs Besiktas is an interesting one and it depends on whether Besiktas can come away from Germany with a decent result. I'd think Bayern win it.

Sevilla look like decent opponents for United but the situation could be different by next year. Will the sides go after anyone in January? If Pogba plays I reckon United win. Roma should beat Shakhtar but there's usually a result that surprises you and this could well be that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Bye bye Spurs, Juventus have looked impenetrable as of late. Watching them recently is like watching a lesson on how to defend as a unit.

I wouldn't be so sure, the italian league is poor. 50:50 id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tylerdurex wrote: »

a) No, it's not. Try watching it sometime.

b) Have you somehow missed Juventus getting through to multiple CL finals over the last few years? That's what they're judged against, not league quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Now look what you did.

iEPiPTtazbXVH.gif

Also, please watch some Serie A games before talking rubbish.

What would watching serie a prove to me ? When it's only another Italian team playing another Italian team. They can look great against each other but it's not indicative of quality especially since juve at 20-1 and 8th favourites and roma at 50-1 11th favourites to win the champions league this season with only 16 teams left in the competition in total. Im sorry but I'm right compared to what Italian football was in the 90s yes it's ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What would watching serie a prove to me ? When it's only another Italian team playing another Italian team. They can look great against each other but it's not indicative of quality especially since juve at 20-1 and 8th favourites and roma at 50-1 11th favourites to win the champions league this season with only 16 teams left in the competition in total. Im sorry but I'm right compared to what Italian football was in the 90s yes it's ****

How can you say “the Italian league is poor” if you have never watched it..

astradave wrote: »
    How can you say “the Italian league is poor” if you have never watched it..

I don't watch the league of Ireland either. Juve are 8th favourites for the champion leagues out if 16 teams. Plus the best players don't play in Italy any more . This tells me all I need to know.the clues are there The maths is pretty simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some good ties.

I think Chelsea are probably the most likely EPL team to go out, but even then they have a fair shout.

I think spurs juve is a 50 50 game, but the other 3 should get through without too much hassle

Could have 4 EPL teams in the quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I don't watch the league of Ireland either. Juve are 8th favourites for the champion leagues out if 16 teams. Plus the best players don't play in Italy any more . This tells me all I need to know.the clues are there The maths is pretty simple

Uh just looking at Juventus
    Buffon
    Chiellini
    Pjanic
    Higuain
    Dybala
    Alex Sandro
    Matuidi
    Who wouldnt look out of place in any super team Real and Barca included never mind Spurs
    So ya your talking nonsense buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

irishman86 wrote: »
    Uh just looking at Juventus
    Buffon
    Chiellini
    Pjanic
    Higuain
    Dybala
    Alex Sandro
    Matuidi
    Who wouldnt look out of place in any super team Real and Barca included never mind Spurs
    So ya your talking nonsense buddy

Everyone of the afore moentioned players would start for every team in the premiership aside from Buffon at united maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Spurs will be in for a nasty surprise if they think there gonna run over Juve, They beat an out of form Madrid in the groups but have been pretty mediocre in the League, I think the likes of Dybala, Higuian and Sandro will tear them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Juve are an excellent side and are good value at 20/1 actually

I don't think anybody is making Spurs favourites over Juventus but how did the pick of Serie A fail to score against mighty Sweden in 3 hours football lads?

(And I do know Higuain, Pjancic, Dybala etc are not Italian)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is making Spurs favourites over Juventus but how did the pick of Serie A fail to score against mighty Sweden in 3 hours football lads?

Terrible forward line.

Juventus have bypassed that with an Argentinian/Brazilian front line.

Because the current Sweden team is just as stubborn as their U21's were a few years ago when they won the euro U21.

Terrible forward line.

Juventus have bypassed that with an Argentinian/Brazilian front line.

Higuain has been dropped by Argentina, Dybala has been dropped by Juve, Nedved not being too subtle about it either. Just saying!

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/juventus/story/3307748/paulo-dybala-told-to-sort-out-his-private-life-to-improve-juventus-form-by-nedved

Who's the the Brazillian forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Douglas Costa, more winger than forward I think.

• Advertisement

Some good draws

A Turkish team in Germany? Expect way more than they normally bring.
    Turkish live all over Europa and they will go to their away matches from Holland, Belgium, France, Germany et cetera.

Becoming more and more a problem for the home teams to make sure the fans are kept seperate.

And the real answer this time is 0

Due to what happened in Lyon last season, Besiktas doesnt bring fans as they fear being banned from EL/CL if it goes wrong again in the next 2 years.

Not sure if that will really keep their fans abroad away from those matches. Leipzig last week they didnt bring any either but i havent seen anything from that match to know if there was Turkish support or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you are right it seems, no Besiktas fans for the game in Munich.

the confirmation on the german independent sports channel "Sport 1", here :
    http://www.sport1.de/fussball/champions-league/2017/12/champions-league-besiktas-fans-gegen-fc-bayern-nicht-im-stadion

as for Besitkas fans getting tickets, there will be some re-selling of tickets no doubt on the likes of viagogo.

Through the club itsself next to no chance as there'll likely be 200,000 ticket applications from club members, with an unofficial unwritten rule being that older members get preference, meaning the chances of many Besitkas fans being in the stadium is relatively low.
    And even then, after season ticket holders, fan clubs, disabled and all other groups of recipients, theres only something like 15,000 for general distribution to club members.

Well it wasn't the pick of Serie A. They'd such a poor manager that he thought starting Gabbiadini of Southampton was better than likes of Insigne who is genuinely excellent.

So unimaginably poor management is the best explanation.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Well it wasn't the pick of Serie A. They'd such a poor manager that he thought starting Gabbiadini of Southampton was better than likes of Insigne who is genuinely excellent.

So unimaginably poor management is the best explanation.

To paraphrase / plagiarise someone else: Its fúcking Sweden lads. Over three hours? In a do or die situation, Italy chose death. It doesn't suggest the quality is there.

To paraphrase / plagiarise someone else: Its fúcking Sweden lads. Over three hours? In a do or die situation, Italy chose death. It doesn't suggest the quality is there.

Spurs went on a run of not beating "fúcking West Brom/Watford/Leicester lads" which all but ruled them out of the running for the league. Does that suggest the quality isn't there?? I don't think it does personally. See there's tonnes of reasons beyond quality of a side to explain underperformance.
    Italy actually has it's strongest side in a long time imo, Verratti pulls the strings for arguably the most impressive club side in Europe this season. Immobile has 19 goals in all comps this year. Zaza has been amazing for Valencia near the head of la liga. Belotti was one of the most sought after strikers in Europe last summer. As i said Insigne has been fantastic for Napoli for a good few years. Theres plenty of attacking talent + goals there if used right but team selections and tactics were dreadful the last few years under Ventura.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Judging the league on their national side isn't a fair assessment regardless. You wouldn't judge the PL solely based on the English national team.

• Advertisement

Uh you answered your own question :pac:

Higuain has been dropped by Argentina, Dybala has been dropped by Juve, Nedved not being too subtle about it either. Just saying!

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/juventus/story/3307748/paulo-dybala-told-to-sort-out-his-private-life-to-improve-juventus-form-by-nedved

Being dropped by Argentina means nothing buddy, Dybala was dropped for personal reasons nothing to do with talent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The best players in serie A are foreigners- pjanic, naingollan, skriniar, handanovic, perisic, ghoulam, mertens, icardi, maksimosovic, torreira, sandro,vecino etc

The best players in serie A are foreigners- pjanic, naingollan, skriniar, handanovic, perisic, ghoulam, mertens, icardi, maksimosovic, torreira, sandro,vecino etc

That's not true, it's a mix of both. There was more Italians in the Juve side for the CL final last year than Spanish for Real. The foundation of that side for the last decade was a world class Italian rear guard.

The best young goalkeeper in world football is Italian. Jorginho at Napoi looks to be growing into a world class centre midfielder. Candreva has top assists in the league. Immobile has most combined goals and assists in the league. Crazy to say the best players are foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That Sweden side finished second in a group that contained France and the Netherlands and they also beat France 2-1 along the way (came from behind to win actually). I remember reading prior to the play-off draw that the Italian media were most concerned about landing them, and it turns out they were right to be worried.

• Advertisement

Jesus, sorry to have touched a nerve there "buddies". I can only repeat nobody, including the bookies, is making Spurs favourites for that tie. However, in my view, Serie A is clearly not as strong as it was if Italy failed to qualify for a World Cup for the first time in 60 years and Juventus, being third currently, are clearly not as strong in Serie A as they used to be. Its an opinion, it OK it doesn't invalidate your life if you are a fan. It's one of the ties of the round and something to look forward to in the New Year.

A nations league says nothing about their national team. Add an completely clueless manager in the mix and there you go

Prime example ... my country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

A nations league says nothing about their national team. Add an completely clueless manager in the mix and there you go

Prime example ... my country.

Arent the Dutch league and Dutch national team both poor at this point?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't wait to see Anderlecht and Club Brugge contesting the CL final, given that the Belgian national team is so strong.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Anderlecht and Club Brugge contesting the CL final, given that the Belgian national team is so strong.

George Hamilton would be in heaven getting to pronounce them so often :o

Arent the Dutch league and Dutch national team both poor at this point?

League isnt much better or worse than in 2010 or 2014.

Feyenoord only 3 points in a group with City\Napoli\Shakthar is just logic

Ajax EL final last season was pure and simple the result of every knock out round getting the draw you have the best chance of progressing.
    That luck ended with Nice in the CL qualification this season where they had the worst possible draw. Also ending up against Rosenborg was th worst draw possible but they should have beat them.

Utrecht wasnt far away from kicking Zenith out of the EL and Vitesse had a tough group with Lazio and Nice.

PSV 100% failed in the EL qualification.

National team..... that is entirely the making of the Dutch FA and the appointment of Danny Blind as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

League isnt much better or worse than in 2010 or 2014.

Feyenoord only 3 points in a group with City\Napoli\Shakthar is just logic

Ajax EL final last season was pure and simple the result of every knock out round getting the draw you have the best chance of progressing.
    That luck ended with Nice in the CL qualification this season where they had the worst possible draw. Also ending up against Rosenborg was th worst draw possible but they should have beat them.

Utrecht wasnt far away from kicking Zenith out of the EL and Vitesse had a tough group with Lazio and Nice.

PSV 100% failed in the EL qualification.

National team..... that is entirely the making of the Dutch FA and the appointment of Danny Blind as a manager.

I was joking a bit.

I'll be honest and say I base most of my opinions on PSV as I live in Eindhoven and thats who i watch most.

Poor you....

Rekop dog wrote: »
    That's not true, it's a mix of both. There was more Italians in the Juve side for the CL final last year than Spanish for Real. The foundation of that side for the last decade was a world class Italian rear guard.

The best young goalkeeper in world football is Italian. Jorginho at Napoi looks to be growing into a world class centre midfielder. Candreva has top assists in the league. Immobile has most combined goals and assists in the league. Crazy to say the best players are foreigners.

He was born in Brazil not that your point is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

UEFA Team of the year announced, 2 PL players in it.

Buffon
    Alves Ramos Cheillini Marcelo
    KDB Kroos Modric
    Messi Ronaldo Hazard

• Advertisement
Advertisement