Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is back with round of 16 games from now until March 14th

Tuesday 13th February
    Juventus (ITA) V Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - BT Sport 3 / TV3
    Basel (SUI) V Manchester City (ENG) - BT Sport 2 / Eir Sport 2

Wednesday 14th February
    Porto (POR) V Liverpool (ENG) - BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Real Madrid (ESP) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - BT Sport 3 / Eir Sport 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Cant wait for the return of the best comp in sport this week.

Juventus
    City
    Porto
    Madrid
    Munich
    Barca
    Shaktar
    United

To progress imo. Munich to win outright.

A lot of close ones in there. City and Munich would be the only ones to fall into the cert category this round. The aggregate score in Real v PSG could be 9-8 or something similarly crazy. Most people will have PSG to win but reckon your Kross and Modric's will wake up for the glamour tie and prove why they were the best partnership in this comp the last few years.

Barca a bit lethargic of late but Chelsea in disarray. They should be too good over two legs for the London outfit.

Porto imo the most underrated side left in the comp. Liverpool heavy favourites to progress there but I see an upset. The game is a great advert for exciting African strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Big night for the English sides tonight, both topped their groups so will have home advantage in the crucial 2nd leg.

I think City will steam roll Basel tonight and the tie will be over before going back to Manchester.

I wouldnt write off Spurs but if they get out of there tonight with a goal, even in a 2-1 loss, its a good result, I'd still fancy Juventus over two legs but Spurs are more than capable of catching them out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

City will have an easy win. Basel aren't bad, but City in their current form are head and shoulders above them. 0-3 i'd say.

Spurs/Juve is tougher to call. Spurs are playing very well right now, but Juve are a tougher challenge then we've faced in a while. We did a fantastic job in our group, when no one gave us much of a chance, but it was against a poor enough Real and a terrible Dortmund. Juve will be different, with a wealth of quality and experience at this level, as well as the form to back it up. I'd happily take a score draw, but i woulnd't be surprised to see it end 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ye've a better chance than us anyway of going through, cant see anything other than a gallant defeat, at best, against Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can't see Spurs getting near this Juve team , Spurs are one of the best teams in England but Juventus are a cut above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Can't see Spurs getting near this Juve team , Spurs are one of the best teams in England but Juventus are a cut above

It will be interesting to see how effective Spurs pressing game will be against a team as skillful as Juventus. Potentially the Tottenham backline could be horribly exposed if Juventus had a full team. However Juventus have a bit of an injury crisis being without Dybala, Cuadrado, Matuidi and a few defenders. Spurs have the luxury of bringing a few flyers off the bench in Lamela and Moura while starting with some seriously clever footballers who also have some pace about them so I am quietly confident Spurs will take at least a draw back to Wembley. Juventus have only conceded 1 in something like the last 16 matches so any score at all for Spurs would be amazing. My prediction is 1-1.

Be pretty surprised if Spurs come away with anything tonight. Juve have been impenetrable of late and offer lots going forward too, Bernardeschi to play a staring role tonight imo.

Comfortable 2-0 win.

Sami Khedira never gets all that much acclaim but that man has done nothing but win since he's been a kid. Captained Germany to an under 21 euro championship. Won a Bundesliga at fecking Stuttgart, won everything there is to win at Madrid: la liga, 2 Spanish cup, a Cl, super cup and world club championship. At Juve he's won 2 Serie A and 2 Italian cups. And a World Cup medal thrown in there too. That's a cv and a half for a 30 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wouldnt rule Spurs grabbing a point out fully. Few big names missing for juventus by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

3-0 City
    2-1 Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Chelsea the only English team to not go through, PSG, Bayern and Roma to round out the eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Team news:
    Juventus XI: Buffon; De Sciglio, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic; Bernardeschi, Douglas Costa, Mandzukic; Higuain

Tottenham XI: Lloris; Aurier, Davinson Sanchez, Vertonghen, Ben Davies; Eriksen, Dier, Dembele; Lamela, Dele Alli. Kane
    Basel XI: Vaclik; Riveros, Suchy, Lang, Lacroix; Frei, Elyounoussi, Die, Xhaka; Stocker, Oberlin.

Man City XI: Ederson; Walker, Otamendi, Kompany, Delph; Fernandinho, Gundogan; De Bruyne, B Silva, Sterling; Aguero.

I think Juve/Spurs will be quite tight. Both sides look defensively strong. I could see this coming down to small margins, maybe a penalty or set piece effort. I reckon 1-1 for the first leg and a more open game at Wembley.

I expect City to come away with a win but I'm not sure it will be as straightforward as many predict. I'll say a 2-1 win. Aguero is in great form so I can see him getting something.

Should be fascinating. I'm especially looking forward to Madrid vs PSG tomorrow.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Wouldnt rule Spurs grabbing a point out fully. Few big names missing for juventus by the looks of it

Ah it's a fairly big squad who rotate plenty anyway so they're not overly weakened by it. Similar to when City missed the likes of Jesus, Sane, Mendy. When you've quality replacing quality a few loses isn't really noticed.

HIGUAINNNNNN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well he scored in a pretty big game for a guy who doesn't score in the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible defending by Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic goal

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Alli picking up Higuain strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You have to say that was something special from Juventus and after only barely a minute. Fantastic finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I love a well thought out freekick. That was Agger like v Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ignoring the defending, that was a beautiful strike.

Too easy. Juve will strangle them now.

That is some brutal defending.

Very Agger like indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The english media darlings spurs 1 down already. So poor from dele alli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is Kevin Kilbane taking over the world?

Peno to Juve.

Ffs

• Advertisement

Howler from Davies.

That was like VVD penalty ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The naivety of this spurs side on show here

Bye Bye Spurs.

Juve better watch out for dirty tackling Spurs now.

2-0. Spurs in danger of losing this before they get to Wembley.

Jesus, tie very likely dead.

Lol you're not playing Arsenal now Spurs.

Not even 10 minutes gone and Spurs are 2-0 down. They should go for the jugular, kill any hope Spurs have in the second leg.

Serious power, Lloris hadn't a hope. Spurs fecked though 2-1 wouldn't be too bad. The way it's going though it'll be 8-0 after the first leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Horror start from spurs, great to see :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Higuain hat trick within the first 45 im guessing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

With all the self-righteousness of certain sections of Spurs' fan-base, and not too subtle media fapping over them, I can't say I am too disappointed for them.

Maybe capitulating in the last-16 is a North London thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Well I was wrong

Basel should of had a pen against City.

City now 1 up. Gundogan

Basel should of had a pen against City.

Would have been soft imo.

1-0 City now. Gundogan header from a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

looked a harsh penalty decision against Spurs, they're giving them away for very little now, it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Would have been soft imo.

1-0 City now. Gundogan header from a corner.

No attempt at the ball. Clear penalty doesn't matter how soft it looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

gimli2112 wrote: »
    looked a harsh penalty decision against Spurs, they're giving them away for very little now, it seems

Very clear penalty.

Diving Kane not given a pen.

Ref should have booked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

This is a Juve side with players who win league titles and complete in CL finals. The winners of the North London derby ain't gonna frighten them.
    Spurs are a good side, just not as good as the media hype suggests.

• Advertisement
Advertisement