Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Some of the early posts in here looking daft.

Well done Spurs. Good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't believe Rio thought Kane should have had a penalty. Come on, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Superb 80 min display from Spurs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This Juve team look like all the sales & replacements have caught up to them. Their defence was pretty ruthless last year in this tournament but this year without Bonucci & Alves it's looked rocky as Barca showed earlier this season. Yeah they haven't conceded in a while but most of them games you wouldn't expect them to.
    They missed Matuidi in midfield & I've just not been convinced by Bernadeschi & Costa have added the flair they felt they needed. I'd rather rely on Mandzukic out wide which says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dembele is such a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Dembele is such a good player.

I thought he was superb, particularly in the first half. He was everywhere, all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The amount of negativity and hatred towards Spurs in this thread was laughable, some people would seriously want to grow up. COYS!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

KingdomYid wrote: »
    The amount of negativity and hatred towards Spurs in this thread was laughable, some people would seriously want to grow up. COYS!!!!!!

Don't get it myself. They play great football with a really positive attitude and are overachieving for the resources they have available to them. People on boards are very dismissive of them in general.

Don't get it myself. They play great football with a really positive attitude and are overachieving for the resources they have available to them. People on boards are very dismissive of them in general.

I think most people don't like another team breaking into the traditional big group. As a Spurs fan and season ticket holder I never even dreamt of times like these. Anyway is what it is, best to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It’s because you have keyboard warriors taking a leaf out of the Eamon Dunphy book of analysis. If you don’t win a trophy and you’re not the best, you’re ****. If you lose a game, you’ve **** the bed. You saw some of the crap after 8 minutes tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Spurs to win a trophy. But, f**k me, I’ve got such joy out of supporting them over the last 3 seasons. And I was about to give up hope after Tactics Tim and AVBore.

It’s not just about winning trophies. On countless occasions over the last 3 years I’ve been walking around feeling 10 foot tall because Spurs have won and won playing great football.

That Pochettino has done that on a fraction of the budget of other teams shows what a great manager he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Seems the majority are bitter Liverpool fans too, baffling.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It’s because you have keyboard warriors taking a leaf out of the Eamon Dunphy book of analysis. If you don’t win a trophy and you’re not the best, you’re ****. If you lose a game, you’ve **** the bed. You saw some of the crap after 8 minutes tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Spurs to win a trophy. But, f**k me, I’ve got such joy out of supporting them over the last 3 seasons. And I was about to give up hope after Tactics Tim and AVBore.

It’s not just about winning trophies. On countless occasions over the last 3 years I’ve been walking around feeling 10 foot tall because Spurs have won and won playing great football.

That Pochettino has done that on a fraction of the budget of other teams shows what a great manager he is.

This post sums up exactly how I feel too, couldn't be prouder of this team :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I dont like them because the way they were against Chelsea in the Leicester title winning season
    They were utter scum that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

After seeing that first leg, can't see Spurs getting through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Spurs are in great form.

Very good performance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Good result for Spurs. That Juve side have conceded only a few goals in there last 20 games. To put a couple past them in Turin is an achievement. I hope they go far! (so they get distracted in the league)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lukker- wrote: »
    Good result for Spurs. That Juve side have conceded only a few goals in there last 20 games. To put a couple past them in Turin is an achievement. I hope they go far! (so they get distracted in the league)

They had conceded 1 goal in 16 games before tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Spurs are nothing but a bunch of diving cnuts

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Spurs are nothing but a bunch of diving cnuts

Keep hating buddy, you will feel better for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Spurs' fitness levels must be through the roof. 4 big games in a row in a fortnight practically and they have never once looked tired or a bit leggy. And Poch doesn't even rotate the team all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Spurs' fitness levels must be through the roof. 4 big games in a row in a fortnight practically and they have never once looked tired or a bit leggy. And Poch doesn't even rotate the team all that much.

Either they hit a massive slump in the next month or so, or we see the biggest doping scandal since Lance :pac:

It does seem inhumane though. No let up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Just catching up with the extended highlights from tv3 had to run out for 7 a side at 9

It's sad to see buffon reduced to this level but I suppose he won't retire until he finally wins the champs lge..
    If juve end up out hopefully he can win it next year

So impressed with my little spurs turning it around. I would been happy with 1_1 and the 2 away goals could be vital I would expect a more open attacking game from juve and hopefully we can sneak one or two on the counter attack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Looking like there'll be at least 3,maybe 4 english teams in the QF's. I'd expect Spurs to finish the job at Wembley and Liverpool and City to follow suit. I don't hold out too much hope for Chelsea and with Utd,well there just a team with a lot of meh too ok players,who've been flung together,with a clueless manager whose no idea on how to get the best out of them. Sevilla will be very disappointed if they don't make it too the last 8.

City,PSG,Barca,Bayern,Liverpool,Spurs,Sevilla and Roma as the last 8.

City,PSG,Barca,Liverpool,Bayern,Spurs,Roma and Sevilla in that order in who I think have the best chance of winning the UCL.

City for me too win it in Kiev and in doing so complete a quadruple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't think United will have a problem Sevilla. In the group Liverpool made a right mess of both games against them should have won both handily. Spartak thumped them, even Maribor got a point off them and they're sixth in La Liga. United havn't been on fire lately but they can get this done in second gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Same for every club. It's like only reason some people post is to **** on every other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't think United will have a problem Sevilla. In the group Liverpool made a right mess of both games against them should have won both handily. Spartak thumped them, even Maribor got a point off them and they're sixth in La Liga. United havn't been on fire lately but they can get this done in second gear.

They didnt get better from Sampaoli's decision to leave but after Montella took over in the winter they have been quite **** unfortunately

inforfun wrote: »
    They didnt get better from Sampaoli's decision to leave but after Montella took over in the winter they have been quite **** unfortunately

Did well knocking out Atletico in the copa del rey but lose 5-1 to Eibar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

True about the CDR. And it wasnt that Atletico put on a weakened team on the pitch either.
    So maybe they are back to their old days of being a cup team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

That's not true actually. The only players who play every minute when they are available are Kane and Eriksen, everyone else is rotated and / or substituted early (eg Alli & Son). Thanks to a very kind draw so far the FA cup team is completely changed so the recent run was a game on Tuesday V Utd, a game on Sunday V Liverpool, a game on Saturday morning V Arsenal and a game on Tuesday night V Juventus . A tough run of fixtures but I wouldn't call it that gruelling physically . Edit: And the next league match is not for a fortnight (Feb 26th). V Rochdale next weekend there will be big changes.

Add in the likes of Dembele, Wanyama, Lamela, Alderweireld and Rose missing large chunks of the season and throw in new signing Lucas Moura and Spurs will have plenty of fresh legs for a busy run-in.

In my opinion its a bit if a myth that Spurs have a light squad. There are two decent goalkeepers, four full backs (Trippier / Aurier and Davies / Rose), three top class centre backs who would get on any top 6 team (Verts, Toby, Sanchez plus watch out for Juan Foyth in the cup matches), four CM's (Dembele, Dier, Wanyama, Winks) and for front three / wingers you have Kane, Lorrente, Alli, Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Sissoko and now Moura.

Out of that lot I would only class Aurier, Llorente and Sissoko as players I wouldn't have 100% faith in. I hate to break it to ye lads, but Spurs will be around for a while!! (providing Pochettino is chained to his desk with gold cuffs).

Lukker- wrote: »

They had some help in recent weeks. Shots hitting woodwork, penalties overturning.

But also, with Dybala for Wembley I think they will have enough to keep Spurs busier in mid field, and let Juventus play more forward. My predict is Juventus can score three in Wembley and go through the tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brilliant by Spurs.

I don't care if Juve's dealings are catching up with them; that was a big time, experienced, battle hardened team they have pegged back. and they should have won.

Dembele is superb. The only reason he's not more important than Kane is that the backup to Kane is horrendous in comparison. At least if Dembele gets injured, there's a little depth.

I don't think they'll win the competition, as I think that's between City, Barca and maybe PSG. But they'll give anyone a proper scare as long as their key players are fit and firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

RTE 2 airing the Liverpool V Porto game tonight instead of Real Madrid v PSG. FFS. Even Liverpool fans would prefer to watch the other game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

RTE 2 airing the Liverpool V Porto game tonight instead of Real Madrid v PSG. FFS. Even Liverpool fans would prefer to watch the other game.

yeah, Liverpool fans would rather not watch their first Champions League knockout match in 9 years......:pac::rolleyes:

Will always be this way when Liverpool,United or Celtic are playing. They will always go with the game that will give them the biggest audience however annoying it is for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

um, false.

if any of that were remotely true, they'd show the Madrid/PSG game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

They know more people will watch liverpool,plus every Liverpool game is guaranteed goals and drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will always be this way when Liverpool,United or Celtic are playing. They will always go with the game that will give them the biggest audience however annoying it is for everyone else.

Was there not a group game where they did not show an English team and showed Real V Dortmund or was it Barca V PSG and it did not fair as well

Was there not a group game where they did not show an English team and showed Real V Dortmund or was it Barca V PSG and it did not fair as well

Now you mention it that could be correct. I think it was TV3 who did that but i have no idea of the viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah TV3 showed Real V Dortmund and the numbers dropped hugely. But Real/PSG is probably the tie of the round so thought they'd still show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I distinctly remember the late great Bill O'Herlihy announcing one night that whenever Utd were playing CL, and whoever they were playing, they would be shown on RTE regardless of how irrelevant the result was and no matter who else was playing that night.

I presume they know their audience and Liverpool would probably have a similar chunk of the soccer viewing public. It doesn't bother me as I have other options and, to be honest, I couldn't watch RTE anyway for fear I'd catch Eamon Dunphy still dialling in his inane opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Don't have BT, feck it anyway. Crap quality it is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sergio Conceicao impressed me as Nantes coach last season and while I haven't seen much of Porto this season, I gather he has them as a big threat from set-pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if they cause Liverpool problems and emerge from the first leg with a win to take to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Maybe sky are right the premier league maybe the best league in Europe.

English teams bossing it so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well, the PL teams are performing exceptionally well so far. Spurs put in a very good performance last night against a very good Juventus side and I think they'll get the job done at home. Liverpool and Man City are through. Both sides performed like genuine contenders this week. What odds on an all PL final, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Porto imo the most underrated side left in the comp. Liverpool heavy favourites to progress there but I see an upset. The game is a great advert for exciting African strikers.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Liverpool and Spurs both have that in the locker on occasions but are were they are in the league as consistency can't be relied on game to game.

:pac::pac:

Rekop dog wrote:
    Liverpool and Spurs both have that in the locker on occasions but are were they are in the league as consistency can't be relied on game to game.

Sorry but this is the least impressive Porto side in around 20 years. I don't see anyone there that has stood out like they always had with a Deco, Pepe or Falcao even when they weren't competing they'd have at least 1.
    Brahimi made Alexander Arnold look like Cannavaro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is the least impressive Porto side in around 20 years. I don't see anyone there that has stood out like they always had with a Deco, Pepe or Falcao even when they weren't competing they'd have at least 1.
    Brahimi made Alexander Arnold look like Cannavaro

Well, they can only beat what's in front of them and they've done that in second gear. Porto aren't CL novices either and this isn't a group game. If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be very happy with this. Only thing I'd be annoyed about is the fact that they don't have another game for a few weeks.

Advertisement