Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You probably should have waited til the final whistle, I guess you can always delete another misinformed post:pac:

3-1 now. Still by no means a strong league in fairness but they have a few decent players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Astana currently beating sporting Lisbon, so that just shows you the strength of the Portuguese league

Blew your load a bit quick there eh ;)

And a red card too :D brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

irishman86 wrote: »
    How much goals is it Ronaldo has to score again before hes considered good again
    Now on 9 in 5 games

We’ll if he didn’t score last night his team should be asking questions then again maybe they should. He had 30 touches all game 10 were shots and considering he scored a pen and then celebrated like he scored a goal to win the World Cup when the ball bounced off him and in it was a poor performances.

That game last night was like have 6 mates play Fifa 3 on each side where they refuse to pass to each other, and one of them just pressing shot when they get the chance

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Blew your load a bit quick there eh ;)

Not really the Kazakhstan league is full of quality haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

We’ll if he didn’t score last night his team should be asking questions then again maybe they should. He had 30 touches all game 10 were shots and considering he scored a pen and then celebrated like he scored a goal to win the World Cup when the ball bounced off him and in it was a poor performances.

That game last night was like have 6 mates play Fifa 3 on each side where they refuse to pass to each other, and one of them just pressing shot when they get the chance

If he didnt score.....twice :pac:
    What a argument buddy
    If carlsberg did point this wouldnt make the list :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Astana currently beating sporting Lisbon, so that just shows you the strength of the Portuguese league

Tbf Maribor would've beaten porto, they're not great if we're tbh about it,still a great win though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If he didnt score.....twice :pac:
    What a argument buddy
    If carlsberg did point this wouldnt make the list :pac:

He was lucky with one goal and other was a pen then taking pot shots wasting chances is not a good performance in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ronaldo has been magical the last month. I've a theory giving his age and it's a world cup year he purposely eased into the season a little.

Winning a world cup with Portugal has to be his biggest goal now and he'll want to be in perfect condition for that. Wouldn't put it past him to lead them to glory.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ronaldo has been magical the last month. I've a theory giving his age and it's a world cup year he purposely eased into the season a little.

Winning a world cup with Portugal has to be his biggest goal now and he'll want to be in perfect condition for that. Wouldn't put it past him to lead them to glory.

Maybe Ronaldo had the extra long season in mind, who knows.

If not the final WC for he and Messi, it's bound to be the last where they can produce the quality they are both known for on the big stage.

It'll also be the last WC before whatever shítshow unfolds in Qatar.

Gonna enjoy this one as much as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is definitely Ron's last WC.....he'll simply be too old and slow to be in Qatar.

Messi might be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not going to happen, him lifting the WC
    He wasnt their most important player in the Euros already.
    The ones who were, are now passing balls to ads on the sidelines. Pepe still doing alright but is playing a lot of football and might be burned out by the time the WC starts

Ronaldo still scores loads of goals but now more than ever he needs a good team around him. He cant do it alone anymore.

inforfun wrote: »
    Not going to happen, him lifting the WC
    He wasnt their most important player in the Euros already.
    The ones who were, are now passing balls to ads on the sidelines. Pepe still doing alright but is playing a lot of football and might be burned out by the time the WC starts

Ronaldo still scores loads of goals but now more than ever he needs a good team around him. He cant do it alone anymore.

Well seems like you're out of touch with recent soccer. They've a much better team than at the Euros now. Bernardo Silva wasn't there for the Euros. Neither was Semedo who has been great for Barcelona this year. And Guedes has probably been the best young player in la liga. The latter two have comes on leaps and bounds since their last qualifier and will make the starting 11 much stronger.

They won 9/10 qualifiers and the loss to Switzerland was their first competitive loss in normal time since 2014 which includes two international competitions that they made the final of.

Far from favourites but definitely one of the sides with a chance. But this is wildly off topic now in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »
    This is definitely Ron's last WC.....he'll simply be too old and slow to be in Qatar.

Messi might be there.

I don't know. I think Ronaldo could have a late stage career as a fox in the box 9.

Certainly with Portugals track record of having a pretty good team but never a great striker\pure no 9 goal scorer.
    Helder Postiga was their go to man for ages after all.

Ronaldo should be able to do just that for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't know. I think Ronaldo could have a late stage career as a fox in the box 9.

He's arguably been that for years now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's arguably been that for years now!

He's been morphing that way for sure. I believe he'll still score when the pace is fully gone. He has a knack for taking up good positions in the box...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

inforfun wrote:
    Certainly with Portugals track record of having a pretty good team but never a great striker\pure no 9 goal scorer. Helder Postiga was their go to man for ages after all.

What about Nuno Gomes & Pauleta.....they were fantastic in PES on PS2 with Rui Costa behind & flanked by Conceicao & Figo

True.
    On the pitch not so much though. Portugal really should have won at least the euros sooner than in 2016.

He was lucky with one goal and other was a pen then taking pot shots wasting chances is not a good performance in my book

Oh deary me
    A brilliant improvised finish is lucky these days :pac:
    Come off it buddy

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Sorry but thats nonsense.

He will be 37 come Qatar. Unless he can get a leg transplant, he won't be playing top level football in 2022.

He's showing signs of slowing down this last couple of years. Rumours around that Real Madrid are letting him go in the summer, with talk of him heading to the retirement village of the MLS.

He's approaching the end.

Oh deary me
    A brilliant improvised finish is lucky these days :pac:
    Come off it buddy

:pac:

Sorry but thats nonsense.

He will be 37 come Qatar. Unless he can get a leg transplant, he won't be playing top level football in 2022.

He's showing signs of slowing down this last couple of years. Rumours around that Real Madrid are letting him go in the summer, with talk of him heading to the retirement village of the MLS.

37 means what exactly :confused: Totti was playing for Roma last season at 40
    Di Natale etc etc etc
    Rumours about Real letting him go have circulated since they signed him ffs :pac:
    Ronaldo will move to MLS but it wont be in the next two years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I didn't think Portugal can win the cl can they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

37 means what exactly :confused: Totti was playing for Roma last season at 40
    Di Natale etc etc etc
    Rumours about Real letting him go have circulated since they signed him ffs :pac:
    Ronaldo will move to MLS but it wont be in the next two years

Totti was a bit part player last year. Totti was also a technically gifted playmaker, who could still control and create passages of play from midfield even as he aged and slowed down, whereas Ronaldo does not have this dimension to his game. He is an outlet, Totti wasn't. And once an outlet ceases to provide goals, they contribute nothing else. Ronaldo is still scoring a few to just about paper over the cracks for the time being

I'm really not sure he is. He's deservedly won back to back Ballon d'Ors in those past two years you mention, I'm not sure how being the best in the world and sweeping every team and personal honor possible is considered approaching the end.

In this years CL he's four goals clear of the next top scorer again, despite probably being in the toughest group and getting a high class last 16 opponent.

I'm going on watching him play on televised matches over the last year or so.

Its only my opinion of course. But I think he's on the slide (from a very high starting position of course).

25 goals in 29 apps this season. Not bad for someone on the slide...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

RoboKlopp wrote: »

About half of them were penalties or against the bottom ten of la liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He's scored 3 penalties in La Liga this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

About half of them were penalties or against the bottom ten of la liga.

About half his league matches would be against the bottom ten of La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    :pac:

Its the new :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

When age finally does him in and the goals dry up there will be people saying 'Haha told you he wasn't good'

Unearthly wrote: »
    When age finally does him in and the goals dry up there will be people saying 'Haha told you he wasn't good'

They'd be wrong though. I have a severe dislike of Ronaldo but there's no disputing his ability. One of the greatest of all time and himself and Messi are, in my opinion, unlikely to be matched for a very long time, if ever. Neymar included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Back talking about Cristiano Ronaldo again by the looks of things. The man has been on fire over the last few weeks.

He is the most natural goalscorer I've ever seen. He was a ridiculously fast and skillful footballer but he has now shown how great a football brain he has with his speed gone.

I think he will go on banging them in for years to come, well for as long as he has the relentless desire that he still clearly has.

Unearthly wrote: »

Only people that have zero between their ears.

Cristiano Ronaldo CL matches from last year's quarter final to now:

Bayern 2 goals
    Bayern 3 goals
    Atletico Madrid 3 goals
    Atletico Madrid 0
    Juventus 2 goals
    Apoel 2 goals
    Dortmund 2 goals
    Tottenham 1 goal
    Tottenham 1 goal
    Apoel 2 goals
    Dortmund 1 goals
    PSG 2 goals

That decline tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cristiano Ronaldo CL matches from last year's quarter final to now:

Bayern 2 goals
    Bayern 3 goals
    Atletico Madrid 3 goals
    Atletico Madrid 0
    Juventus 2 goals
    Apoel 2 goals
    Dortmund 2 goals
    Tottenham 1 goal
    Tottenham 1 goal
    Apoel 2 goals
    Dortmund 1 goals
    PSG 2 goals

That decline tho.

That’s a fûckin mental record!

Totti was a bit part player last year. Totti was also a technically gifted playmaker, who could still control and create passages of play from midfield even as he aged and slowed down, whereas Ronaldo does not have this dimension to his game. He is an outlet, Totti wasn't. And once an outlet ceases to provide goals, they contribute nothing else. Ronaldo is still scoring a few to just about paper over the cracks for the time being

OMG where have you been ??
    Have you been posting?, i honestly thought you were gone
    You were so fun last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

I was watching a bit of soccer Saturday today and Paul Merson really believes Man City are banked on to win champions league. Odds are short obviously because of how they have been playing but also because the draw was kind to them. I think man city's starting defence was worth more than basel's team lol I think te acid test will come when they meet one of the big heavyweights.

Plenty of teams in with a shout, really hard to pick a winner. Real, Barca, Bayern and City, and Spurs in with an outside chance.if yhey can keep that fight up. Can't see Liverpool, United or Chelsea winning it this year.

beya2009 wrote: »
    I was watching a bit of soccer Saturday today and Paul Merson really believes Man City are banked on to win champions league. Odds are short obviously because of how they have been playing but also because the draw was kind to them. I think man city's starting defence was worth more than basel's team lol I think te acid test will come when they meet one of the big heavyweights.

I think one of their defence was worth more than Basel's team.
    Sure their entire defence is worth about £200m.

About half his league matches would be against the bottom ten of La Liga.

I just looked, he's only scored 8 goals in La Liga this season and two of those were against relegation favourites Deportivo La Coruña.

I just looked, he's only scored 8 goals in La Liga this season and two of those were against relegation favourites Deportivo La Coru/QUOTE]

While he's banging them in against minnows PSG, Spurs, Dortmund in the CL..

What does that do to your logic, as good as it is?

I just looked, he's only scored 8 goals in La Liga this season and two of those were against relegation favourites Deportivo La Coru/QUOTE]

While he's banging them in against minnows PSG, Spurs, Dortmund in the CL..

What does that do to your logic, as good as it is?

That's all well and good but my stat does prove that he's in decline. Also the goals against psg-one was a penalty and the other was fortunate, however it was great awareness of him to be in that area. You forgot that he scored against CL heavyweights APOEL.

• Advertisement

Also I wouldn't put scoring against dortmund as a great achievement these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sure let's just rule out all goals against teams not in the last 16 of the champions league then. Because that will really show Ronaldo up...

Only goals in CL/World Cup Finals should be included in players goal stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In other Cristiano Ronaldo news, it appears he wants to help the Rohingya refugees by sending them Paul Pogba.

Maybe it's the move Pogbas career needs :)

TOP STORIES
    Man Utd News: Cristiano Ronaldo makes Paul Pogba transfer demand to Real Madrid | Daily Star
    Daily Star - 2 hours ago
    Cristiano Ronaldo calls on the world to help Rohingya refugees
    The Daily Star - 2 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

That's all well and good but my stat does prove that he's in decline. Also the goals against psg-one was a penalty and the other was fortunate, however it was great awareness of him to be in that area. You forgot that he scored against CL heavyweights APOEL.

I think using the word decline too strong a word and probably harsh imo. He's slowed down...no doubt about it but he's still contributing to the team with his goals and leadership too. Benzema has lost all confidence and just can't score which doesn't help but ultimately when it really mattered against PSG Ronaldo delivered the goods as he usually does in the big games (I can't think of anyone that has a better goal scoring record against big teams in champions league over the past couple of seasons than Ronaldo). Doesn't matter if it's coming off his knees...his movement off the ball and desire to get in the right places is exceptional.

To put it in perspective going into the PSG game I think Ronaldo had 23 goals in all competitions and Neymar has 28 goals but the latter is playing in the weakest league out of the top 5 european leagues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement