Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I thought waving imaginary cards is a yellow card offence nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And has otherwise been poor, are you really denying that?

No, but he's had 2 Chelsea players on him every time he got the ball. First time he finds space he makes it count

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thought waving imaginary cards is a yellow card offence nowadays?

Depends on the colour of the imaginary card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

irishman86 wrote: »
    Suicidal defending to give the best player on the pitch that chance
    I cant be the only one who vomits when people say GOAT

Wouldn't be normal but you wouldn't be the first or last to excrete bodily fluid when thinking about the GOAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Three of the six ties played thus far already over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barca fan boys always easy to rile :) they have not been great at all, though it should be said thier away form in the CL has often been poor enough for such a talented side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

davycc wrote: »
    Iniesta and messi can still shift up a few gears when they like. Delighted

It was class. Iniesta rolled back the best part of a decade to chase that down and tee it up. Funnily enough pretty similar goal to the infamous Iniesta goal those years ago, roles reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Three of the six ties played thus far already over.

Yeah but the best games from each game night so far are still in the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cesc looks absolutely shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Urindanger wrote: »
    Wouldn't be normal but you wouldn't be the first or last to excrete bodily fluid when thinking about the GOAT.

No i think its beyond sad
    And not just in terms of Messi, i think people who say it about Pele, Brady etc are sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah but the best games from each game night so far are still in the balance.

Not to sound like an old man here, but it's not particularly healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

729 passes.
    Must be a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ref doesn't like being told he's blind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

fullstop wrote: »
    Ref doesn't like being told he's blind!

I'm shocked he saw it

Not to sound like an old man here, but it's not particularly healthy.

Agree to an extent but there's still probably 5/6 teams in with a solid chance of winning this and that's probably more than most competitions in any sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Suarez back to his diving best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

5-0 Bayern. Lewandowski gets a second.

Tie well and truly over,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Toughest game Barca has faced this season.

BT Commentary are clueless . Clearly stamped on there, but a dive by Alba accord to Hoddle and Co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Bayern 5-0 now.

Crunchy Biscuits there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Jaysus suarez js a real unpleasant sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In their defence Espanyol beat them 1-0 a few weeks back.

Hazzard won ball back and then fouled him to give them the ball back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

BT Commentary are clueless . Clearly stamped on there, but a dive by Alba accord to Hoddle and Co

Yeh delli alli and kane wouldnt dive.

Drinkwater is out of his depth.

Drinkwater is out of his depth.

Hundred grand a week though.

Jaysus suarez js a real unpleasant sort.

He's not really, just fights for everything on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea usually do well against Barcelona.

Roll on tomorrow, football in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A lot of smooching going on in that Barca team :pac:

Looks like Spurs and Chelsea are gone now.
    Can see Barca and Juve giving them second chances to get job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Chelsea actually looked the more dangerous in attack, reckon they would have scored a few more if they hadn't been so overly defensive - no strikers in the starting lineup!

Barca comfortable without looking to troubled at times. Away goal. I think they'll wrap it up from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

2 away goals and a home leg to come? Juventus will be stronger for the second leg but I wouldn’t be writing Spurs off at all.

Spurs have to play an aging Juve at home. I would make Spurs favourites to go through.

That was an intriguing game. Harsh on Chelsea. Dave needed to foul iniesta. Willian really had his shooting boots on.

Gotta love Busquets. Jordi alba waiting to be allowed back into play huge void in the wing. Busquets doesn't even hesitate and takes hazard out of it.

Spurs will progress. The Juve side are the poorest for a while now. I think spurs will tear them a new one at wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was never sold on the idea of sin bins in football but that game in Munich gives me pause for thought. Besiktas have had a good campaign up top now and that tie with Bayern had the makings of an interesting one, only for a red card in 16 minutes to leave all of that shot to pieces. Spoiled the contest tonight and spoils the next leg too. Maybe there's a better way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Worst Barcelona side in years.

You obviously haven't watched them this season. Watching a single game in a knock-out tournament doesn't really give you a fair impression of a team over a season.

Now that this Barca side is learning to defend - yes they're only learning, and still occasionally terrible at it - like not even marking Willian on a corner, that came from a shot that was going wide (just after having two corners themselves which they passed both straight to Courtois) - this Barca side is more dangerous than ever, because they can keep clean sheets.

Stop laughing, they can. And if this Barca side can defend (like even half as well as the average Prem side does) they will win everything. Still comically bad at defending at times and with Busquets, the weakest def mid in world football - they just don't have the mentality for defending, aside from one or two like Alba.

Dybala is back from injury for Juve which is a big bonus for them. Spurs have the advantage from the first leg but it's probably the tightest 2nd leg to call. Can't wait for that one.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    He's not really, just fights for everything on the pitch.

The hand ball against ghana, the racism, the biting, the constant diving, trying to get the opposition fans into trouble(like he did against betis).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Disappointing to concede the equaliser the way we did but a draw was probably a fair result. Good performance by us though and if we had won it there wouldn’t have been too many complaints but I think on balance a draw was about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rekop dog wrote:
    Dybala is back from injury for Juve which is a big bonus for them. Spurs have the advantage from the first leg but it's probably the tightest 2nd leg to call. Can't wait for that one.

Well Allegri got a lot wrong in the first leg too & there was some uncharacteristically ropey performances from Juve in the first leg too.
    No sure thing they'll start Dybala after he fell out with Allegri earlier on this season.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well Allegri got a lot wrong in the first leg too & there was some uncharacteristically ropey performances from Juve in the first leg too.
    No sure thing they'll start Dybala after he fell out with Allegri earlier on this season.

Is matuidi back?

Dybala fell out with Allegri?

Was never sold on the idea of sin bins in football but that game in Munich gives me pause for thought. Besiktas have had a good campaign up top now and that tie with Bayern had the makings of an interesting one, only for a red card in 16 minutes to leave all of that shot to pieces. Spoiled the contest tonight and spoils the next leg too. Maybe there's a better way.

Punish the player not the team. Send player off, 5 game ban, but team is allowed to bring player on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is Coutinho ineligible? What about Dembele why didn't he start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The clowns on tv3 think Barcelona will lose when they come up against a good team.
    They then list Real Madrid and Man City.
    Real are about twenty points behind Barcelona in the league and were walloped in the Bernabeu less than two months ago.
    Barcelona won't fear City either as City will be alot more open.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is Coutinho ineligible? What about Dembele why didn't he start?

Yep cup tied. Dembele back from injury and hasn't played great for them. That first xi hasn't lost a competitive match this season. Which is a bit ridiculous.

I just heard that was Messi's first goal against Chelsea after 9 games against them.

I wonder has he played against any other teams more than Chelsea without scoring. It was a surprising stat to hear.

Good performance from Chelsea. Hopefully their only one of the week :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The clowns on tv3 think Barcelona will lose when they come up against a good team.
    They then list Real Madrid and Man City.
    Real are about twenty points behind Barcelona in the league and were walloped in the Bernabeu less than two months ago.
    Barcelona won't fear City either as City will be alot more open.

It's the same process as those who only watch them if they play English sides and call them the worst Barca team in years etc.

I think it was the same when RTE showed the 0-0 draw at Juventus in the group to win the group. It was all about how bad they were by missing Neymar apparently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement