Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

The clowns on tv3 think Barcelona will lose when they come up against a good team.
    They then list Real Madrid and Man City.
    Real are about twenty points behind Barcelona in the league and were walloped in the Bernabeu less than two months ago.
    Barcelona won't fear City either as City will be alot more open.

Tbf it was mostly kilbane talking ****e

Lennon was kinda looks at him going 'wtf is this lad on about' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dfx- wrote: »
    It's the same process as those who only watch them if they play English sides and call them the worst Barca team in years etc

The boys on BT have brown tongues from all the arse licking of Messi and Busquets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's really sad though. I mean not trying to blow my own trumpet but I try to watch all the big leagues. Is liga is obviously my fav. I just can't really fathom how they are paid to be so incompetent. People were waxing lyrical over city being beaten only an English thing despite the fact Leganes eliminated Real Madrid from the cops del Rey and a town with a smaller population than cork is currently in the Europa league spots.

That was an excellent quality game of football. Moments of magic by Willian almost got Chelsea a goal. But ultimately it was a significant mistake by both sides that decided the scoring. Iniesta not doubling up on Willian with busquets. Christensen with a misplaced pass under a press. Considering how finely poised everything was something like these were bound to happen at some stage. Both teams capitalised on the moment really well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

The clowns on tv3 think Barcelona will lose when they come up against a good team.
    Real are about twenty points behind Barcelona in the league and were walloped in the Bernabeu less than two months ago.

lol I found that funny too when they said that. Chelsea were solid defensively for the most part but it's hard playing against a team ultimately parking the bus. Doubt that will work away so it will be interesting if they employ similar tactics in the 2nd leg considering they need to score. Hazard worked his socks off but his offensive talents wasted in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

pudzey101 wrote: »

Most overrated defensive midfielder ever according to someone here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Very true, we will always be one of Barca’s toughest games because of our style of play and the way we set up against them. City aren’t built to play like that and Barca would love playing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

lol I found that funny too when they said that. Chelsea were solid defensively for the most part but it's hard playing against a team ultimately parking the bus. Doubt that will work away so it will be interesting if they employ similar tactics in the 2nd leg considering they need to score. Hazard worked his socks off but his offensive talents wasted in that game.

Going toe to toe with Barca would just be silly. I think our tactics tonight were very good, it wasn’t a backs to the walls performance and Barca didn’t create a whole lot. It was a silly mistake in the end that cost us the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

casemiro is good too , but has to go to makelele overall, not many players have positions named after them :D

*not a barca, real or chelsea fan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

irishman86 wrote: »
    No i think its beyond sad
    And not just in terms of Messi, i think people who say it about Pele, Brady etc are sad

I think moaning about such a ridiculously trivial thing is sadder but sure what can you do!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Looks like Spurs and Chelsea are gone now.
    Can see Barca and Juve giving them second chances to get job done

Spurs are probably very much favourites to go through in that tie,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Spurs are probably very much favourites to go through in that tie,

And we all know what usually happens when spurs look favorites for something good.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

With Porto getting hammered last wk and besiktas this,their group must have been poor quality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

shamrock55 wrote: »
    With Porto getting hammered last wk and besiktas this,their group must have been poor quality

Just a lot of crap in the champions league. Doesnt really start until quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Dev84 wrote: »

Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

shamrock55 wrote: »

I would have said their centre half getting himself sent off 16 minutes in had more bearing on that result than their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Was never sold on the idea of sin bins in football but that game in Munich gives me pause for thought. Besiktas have had a good campaign up top now and that tie with Bayern had the makings of an interesting one, only for a red card in 16 minutes to leave all of that shot to pieces. Spoiled the contest tonight and spoils the next leg too. Maybe there's a better way.
    Punish the player not the team. Send player off, 5 game ban, but team is allowed to bring player on.

Or in this case, let Vida stay and sent off Atiba Hutchinson who gave the worst back pass in human history that got Vida sent off.
    Dont ban him for 5 games, sent him to Elba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dev84 wrote: »

I would normally agree but this season:

Barca v Chelsea
    Juventus v Spurs
    PSG v Real Madrid

We are normally lucky to get one decent last 16 game! They could be all semi final ties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Worse than tv show panels in here for making snap judgements of teams based on one game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I just heard that was Messi's first goal against Chelsea after 9 games against them.

I wonder has he played against any other teams more than Chelsea without scoring. It was a surprising stat to hear.

Good performance from Chelsea. Hopefully their only one of the week :)

No Chelsea was his most played without scoring, read it a few days back. I actually went to check on his odds to score but he was only evens, was hoping there might be a sneaky decent amount of value in it.

Not sure how anyone could make that claim to be honest. Initially I wasn't fully sold on him and I absolutely detest the guy to be honest, also he plays a very set and defined type of role rather than being a 'do it all' type of guy but still... he's not too far off all time lists as a DM/CM in my opinion. He might also go down as Barca's second most capped player ever after Messi if he can keep on for a good few years, or at worst 3-4th (the other two being Xavi and Iniesta).

Well, he is a better midfielder than his dad was a goalkeeper in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Busquets is so good as he moves the ball so quick. His one touch passing is what sets him apart from other mids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yep cup tied. Dembele back from injury and hasn't played great for them. That first xi hasn't lost a competitive match this season. Which is a bit ridiculous.

they lost to espanol a few weeks ago

I noticed Guillem Balague stated this is the worst Barcelona team in the last decade and that Chelsea shouldn't fear the nou camp. Considering how successful they have been in the last decade, he probably has a point but then their operating at ridiculously high standards. Their 17 points ahead of their biggest rivals domestically, 7 points clear at the top of their league and their in the cup final. Their in a strong position in the return leg against Chelsea knowing at some point away team will have to take some risks to try and score. If they win the league this season I think that would be their 7th league title in 10 years. Surely not bad for the worst Barcelona team in a decade lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've had a double on Sevilla and Wales winning, so that almost certainly means United will stroll through this and kill the tie tonight.

beya2009 wrote: »
    I noticed Guillem Balague stated this is the worst Barcelona team in the last decade and that Chelsea shouldn't fear the nou camp. Considering how successful they have been in the last decade, he probably has a point but then their operating at ridiculously high standards. Their 17 points ahead of their biggest rivals domestically, 7 points clear at the top of their league and their in the cup final. Their in a strong position in the return leg against Chelsea knowing at some point away team will have to take some risks to try and score. If they win the league this season I think that would be their 7th league title in 10 years. Surely not bad for the worst Barcelona team in a decade lol
    If Barca go through, just wait for it from him - "and even the greatest English side* cannot beat Barcelona at their very weakest", I'd put the house on that or something similar with an easy built-in excuse for if Barca go out in the second leg.

*Yes of course he'll completely ignore that Chelsea are in fourth, and that City are the best team in England this year by a country mile. It's because he's possibly the worst football pundit on the face of the planet.

Wonder why this Mctominay lad never played for any of the national under age teams. Strange for a young player breaking through at a big side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

20 minutes gone & Roma the better side so far but nothing in the scoreboard to show it. Missed a couple of good chances through Manolas & Dzeko. Shaktar look the smaller side on set pieces.

1-0 Roma. Nice finish by Under & great assist by Dzeko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Under's in smashing form of late.

Any of the four sides tonight would be a favourable draw for rest in the quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Any of the four sides tonight would be a favourable draw for rest in the quarters

You'd think Rochdale, West Brom and Wigan would be favourable draws in the FA Cup and we saw what happened there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Wonder why this Mctominay lad never played for any of the national under age teams. Strange for a young player breaking through at a big side.

Probably because he's shíte...

You'd think Rochdale, West Brom and Wigan would be favourable draws in the FA Cup and we saw what happened there.

Yeah but lol FA cup, it's not particularly a high priority for many.

To be fair to Roma they've saved their best performances for this competition. Qualifying ahead of Atleti was no mean feat.

1-1. Ferreyra for Shaktar. Poor defending & it didn't take a lot of pressure

Update: Alisson keeping the away side in the game.

2-1 Shaktar. Grand Fred free kick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Wants to play for Scotland which makes it even stranger

Well I will not make the same mistake for the return game night and not watch Roma v Shakhtar. Jose would suck the fun out of anything. Far cry from the fearless United philosophy I grew up watching.

Ended 2-1 to Shaktar.
    Alisson is worth his weight in gold to Roma as they were pants in the second half.
    Taison avoided a late red for a blatant elbow about 2 foot in front of a clearly blind linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    Chelsea (ENG) 1 V 1 Barcelona (ESP)
    Bayern München (GER) 5 V 0 Beşiktaş (TUR)
    Sevilla (ESP) 0 V 0 Manchester United (ENG)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 2 V 1 Roma (ITA)

Next up
    2nd legs
    Tuesday March 6th

Liverpool (ENG) V Porto (POR) (Agg 5-0) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 1-3) - Live on BT Sport 2

Wednesday March 7th
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 2-2) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Manchester City (ENG) V Basel (SUI) (Agg 4-0) - Live on BT Sport 3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Seville should have had a pen. Simple as that. Pogba fouled the boy navas. De gea? The header in the first half was straight at him. Made it look good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ger Canning just called Under a Young Turk:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Ger Canning just called Under a Young Turk:)
    He follows that with Nice One Fred. Right said Fred he shoulda said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Results
    Chelsea (ENG) 1 V 1 Barcelona (ESP)
    Bayern München (GER) 5 V 0 Beşiktaş (TUR)
    Sevilla (ESP) 0 V 0 Manchester United (ENG)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 2 V 1 Roma (ITA)

Next up
    2nd legs
    Tuesday March 6th

Liverpool (ENG) V Porto (POR) (Agg 5-0) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 1-3) - Live on BT Sport 2

Wednesday March 7th
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) V Juventus (ITA) (Agg 2-2) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Manchester City (ENG) V Basel (SUI) (Agg 4-0) - Live on BT Sport 3

Hopefully TV3 go with PSG v Real as that has some milage left in it but I bet they don't. Spurs v Juventus should be obvious for RTE2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hopefully TV3 go with PSG v Real as that has some milage left in it but I bet they don't.
    They said last night that they are showing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Damn, Neymar has a fractured foot. That's Real into the quarters.

Well with a 4-1 lead once Ronaldo scores his first next week, it was always going to be a very tall order to begin with. They'd probably have needed to put 5 past Real after Ronaldo got his second, not sure if they could have.

Damn, Neymar has a fractured foot. That's Real into the quarters.

Yeah huge blow for PSG and a bit of shame from a neutral point of view but to be fair that PSG squad probably the best in Europe. They have top class on the bench like Di Maria and Draxler. Even if Neymar was fit, I think they will still concede. Very rare that Real Madrid don't score in any game.

His PSG season is basically over.
    2 months out and needs surgery

• Advertisement

His PSG season is basically over.
    2 months out and needs surgery

Advertisement