Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I see UEFA have changed the kick-off times for future CL seasons. 5.55pm and 8.00pm.

5.55pm is a horrible time for fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You think the matches are played for real fans going to the stadiums?
    Nah.... dont be silly.

Then again, it has been de ko times for the EL for a few years already.
    Biggest part of Europa it is 18.55 and 2100 kick off times. Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Top 4 from England, Spain, Germany and Italy now guaranteed to go straight into the group stages.

inforfun wrote: »
    You think the matches are played for real fans going to the stadiums?
    Nah.... dont be silly.

Then again, it has been de ko times for the EL for a few years already.

That is true.

part of the excitement for me as a fan watching on TV midweek is the ability to not worry about traffic coming home from work, and listening to a podcast build up or discussing team news. Maybe even going to the gym first (to justify a night on the couch) then coming home and cooking dinner and settling into the couch at 7.00 for the TV build up for that match.

With a 5.55 KO, I will now instead be rushing home from work as soon as I can, with no delay whatsoever and just about be in front of the TV for a few minutes after KO.

The same would apply for fans going to the game I would imagine - maybe even having to leave work early just to get to the game, and that also cuts out pre-match drinks etc with lads you would meet before a game.

In the time i went to CL/EL matches in the Feyenoord stadium i worked till 1800.
    I just went straight to the stadium if the KO was at 20.00
    Would still do so if the KO is at 2100 and of course certainly would if KO at 1900
    (All Dutch times)

Dont forget it is only Ireland, England and Portugal where the KO is 1800 and 2000 GMT

If you make it 1900 and 2100 for those 3, they ll have midnight KO in eastern parts of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »
    That is true.

part of the excitement for me as a fan watching on TV midweek is the ability to not worry about traffic coming home from work, and listening to a podcast build up or discussing team news. Maybe even going to the gym first (to justify a night on the couch) then coming home and cooking dinner and settling into the couch at 7.00 for the TV build up for that match.

With a 5.55 KO, I will now instead be rushing home from work as soon as I can, with no delay whatsoever and just about be in front of the TV for a few minutes after KO.

The same would apply for fans going to the game I would imagine - maybe even having to leave work early just to get to the game, and that also cuts out pre-match drinks etc with lads you would meet before a game.

Well the work out in most cases in the Europa League with UK games at the later kick off and their away games at the earlier kick off

Here is also the other changes

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105273030&postcount=707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    I've never attended a 6.55 ko (in my case Bayern) but it wouldn't bother me too much.

As it is, I leave work at 6 to meet with the lads in the city for a few quiet ones and then leave town at 7.30 which gets you into the stadium just about bang on kick off time at 8.45
    For a 6.55 I'd just leave work at 5.30 and go direct to the stadium and be still in plenty of time for the game
    I cant see how that's fan unfriendly.

Actually for a team like Bayern which has similarities to Man Utd in that a lot would be a few hours drive away, the 6.55 time would be great as then you're finished at 9pm rather than a shade before 11pm.

It's also MUCH better for kids looking to go to a game as the 8.45 kick off is just too late on a weekday when a child needs to be up (at 6.30 or 7am) to be at school for 8am start.
    You almost never see kids at Bayern Munich champions league games, but with some 5.55 kick offs that most certainly will change.

Good points above guys.

Yeah I suppose 'on the continent', it probably does work out better.

I would imagine the Far Eastern European game will always be the 5.55 KO, a bit like how they have the early KO in the EL games, and some CL matchdays.

Zenith and the likes quite often have a 1700 gmt KO at home and are usually scheduled away from home when both group matches need to be played at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

From an Irish prospective this mighten be too bad either,6.55 ko could cut out the expense of paying for a hotel in liverpool,manchester or london for the night of the game. Day trips midweek by plane,happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

From an Irish prospective this mighten be too bad either,6.55 ko could cut out the expense of paying for a hotel in liverpool,manchester or london for the night of the game. Day trips midweek by plane,happy days

More than a chance it will follow the Europa League.

English team away 5:55pm Kick off
    English team home 8pm kick off

Far Eastern teams at home 5:55 Kick off or earlier
    Far Eastern teams away 8pm kick off.

Mix up then for the rest of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised people think the PSG-Madrid tie is over because of Neymar's absence. It's a big blow for sure but they still pack impressive firepower. They can bring in Draxler on the left who played in the 4-0 first leg win over Barcelona last season or - and this would be my preferred option - put Mbappe over on the left where he did his best work for Monaco last season, and then bring in Di Maria, who was unlucky to be benched for the first leg given he's been in great form, on the right where Mbappe has been operating.

Whether it's Draxler or Di Maria that comes into the front three, they can certainly get goals. It's keeping them out that will be their problem and where I suspect ultimately they will lose out in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If Chelsea were to win the CL, and Arsenal the EL, but both finish outside the top 4, would the 4th place team lose their place in the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If Chelsea were to win the CL, and Arsenal the EL, but both finish outside the top 4, would the 4th place team lose their place in the CL?

Yep only 5 teams can qualify from league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »
    Yep only 5 teams can qualify from league

Is that still the same with the new rules?

(Too lazy to look it up myself):o

paulbok wrote: »
    Is that still the same with the new rules?

(Too lazy to look it up myself):o

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Ronaldo some man for the big goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Looking forward to tomorrow night after that gutless and spiritless performance. Wouldn't mind seeing spurs win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Looking forward to tomorrow night after that gutless and spiritless performance. Wouldn't mind seeing spurs win.

Thought Porto would have more in them alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

irishman86 wrote: »
    Thought Porto would have more in them alright

Haha lol

• Advertisement

Haha lol

Im here all week, except sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ronaldo has over 30 goals this season, has scored in his last 9 Champions League games, and yet many would have you believe he's having a shít season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PSG should be taken out and shot, their continued failure to mount a serious campaign to win the only thing of any value that they can win is damning. They were Can'tBeArsed Utd tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ronaldo has over 30 goals this season, has scored in his last 9 Champions League games, and yet many would have you believe he's having a shít season.

Ronaldo had scored just 4 league goals by mid-January by which time they won one in five, adrift in the league and out of the cup.

So the many would be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

SlickRic wrote: »

He had a very poor start to the season outside the CL, he really start hitting form after the winter break.. not a shït season by all means but very different to what we are used to from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He has the same amount of league goals as Iago Aspas, 16, which for him is a bad season.

When people are saying he is having an awful season they are comparing him to himself and Messi and Suarez only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »
    He has the same amount of league goals as Iago Aspas, 16, which for him is a bad season.

When people are saying he is having an awful season they are comparing him to himself and Messi and Suarez only.

La Liga goals the last three seasons:

35 in 36
    25 in 29
    16 in 21 (current season)

Champions League goals in the last three seasons:

16 in 12
    12 in 13
    12 in 8

He's on track for an overall drop off this season compared to last, but nothing dramatic and the decline in output is nothing over and above a curve you'd expect for a man turning from 30 to 33 during the period in question.

There is nothing "awful" in any of the above. Nothing "bad" in any of the above. Messi has 32 goals in his 41 games this year compared to Ronaldo's 31 in 33; Suarez has 23 in 38.

So really, what the **** are you or anyone else talking about? The Goat is still the Goat, 33 or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

So really, what the **** are you or anyone else talking about? The Goat is still the Goat, 33 or no.
    I'd say the same for you, considering he's not 33 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd say the same for you, considering he's not 33 ;)

He turned 33 two days ago lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

La Liga goals the last three seasons:

35 in 36
    25 in 29
    16 in 21 (current season)

Champions League goals in the last three seasons:

16 in 12
    12 in 13
    12 in 8

He's on track for an overall drop off this season compared to last, but nothing dramatic and the decline in output is nothing over and above a curve you'd expect for a man turning from 30 to 33 during the period in question.

There is nothing "awful" in any of the above. Nothing "bad" in any of the above. Messi has 32 goals in his 41 games this year compared to Ronaldo's 31 in 33; Suarez has 23 in 38.

The Goat retired in 97, after one last spell at Boca Juniors. The only current player with Goat credentials is 30

GOAT is 57, 58 in october.

Any excuse to post this.

GOAT is 57, 58 in october.

Any excuse to post this.

The complete player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

eagle eye wrote: »

Are all three having awful seasons?

Suarez - 38 games, 23 goals (0 in Europe)
    Messi - 41 games, 32 goals (4 in Europe)
    Ronaldo - 33 games, 31 goals (12 in Europe)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Are all three having awful seasons?

Suarez - 38 games, 23 goals (0 in Europe)
    Messi - 41 games, 32 goals (4 in Europe)
    Ronaldo - 33 games, 31 goals (12 in Europe)

You'd expect Ronaldo to be further ahead, seeing as all he does is stand around the box with every attack directed to his feet, in a league where the defences are rubbish and the money between the top 2 and the rest is the most lopsided it's ever been. Football, now with lighter balls and better surfaces, also favours attackers. Messi and Suarez, one being a midfielder in particular, also have less shots per game as they drop deeper and also create.

So when we factor all this in, Ronaldos not doing great. Unless the only criteria is goal stats? Messi in particular has been consistently good over 90 minutes in most matches he's played, Ronaldo is most often a statue, now and again popping up with a goal to remind us he's not totally anonymous in matches

So when we factor all this in, Ronaldos not doing great.
    Probably because he's always bottling it against big teams in the Champions League, right? :pac:

Wasn't me who laid out goals as the key criteria but that's how they were, and by that criteria he's been the most prolific of the three.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo has 22 goals in his last 13 games.

Shows the standard of these guys when 30+ goals in March isn't considered great

Probably because he's always bottling it against big teams in the Champions League, right? :pac:

Wasn't me who laid out goals as the key criteria but that's how they were, and by that criteria he's been the most prolific of the three.

Of course, he's paid to score goals. If he couldn't even do that in the era, league and team he finds himself in, well he wouldn't even be worth mentioning. Messi's off being the fulcrum of a team, the playmaker, with goal scoring being a happy bonus on top of his performance. You didn't lay out the criteria but you certainly defend it.

It's funny watching Messi let other players take penos and setting up tap ins with pull backs when he could of scored the goals himself, how many more would he have had otherwise over the years? Even Messi grew out of the goal stat nonsense a few years back. And that's before we get into how many more he would have if he played higher up the field and had double the chances per game. So it's hard to argue Ronaldo is better at the one criteria he can be compared to Messi on... scoring goals. Everything else, forget about it.

So I guess if comparing goal stats makes Ronaldo fanboys happy in believing he's anywhere close to Messi's level, or ever was, keep at it.

Of course, he's paid to score goals. If he couldn't even do that in the era, league and team he finds himself in, well he wouldn't even be worth mentioning.
    Certainly explains why he scores more per game in the Champions League than La Liga.

"Even Messi grew out of the goal stat nonsense" is an hilarious sentence though - it was people trying to claim Ronaldo was useless in comparison using that. And now they've done a complete 180 on that, with even increasing desperation since their (false) attempts to claim he doesn't do it in the big games has seen them made a balls of.

They're both in the top 5-6 players of all time, possibly even the very top spots. Anyone claiming either is not right up amongst the best players in the games history simply shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RoboKlopp wrote:
    Shows the standard of these guys when 30+ goals in March isn't considered great

Think people have been judging Real more than Ronaldo as they came second to Spurs in the group & the head to heads and are off the normal pace in la liga.
    I doubt Real would have got through as easy against most other sides as PSG for an expensive team at home were beyond disappointing. I'll give an honourable shoutout to Dani Alves who was utterly pathetic & disinterested in anything resembling effort.

Certainly explains why he scores more per game in the Champions League than La Liga.

"Even Messi grew out of the goal stat nonsense" is an hilarious sentence though - it was people trying to claim Ronaldo was useless in comparison using that. And now they've done a complete 180 on that, with even increasing desperation since their (false) attempts to claim he doesn't do it in the big games has seen them made a balls of.

They're both in the top 5-6 players of all time, possibly even the very top spots. Anyone claiming either is not right up amongst the best players in the games history simply shouldn't be taken seriously.

Serious question has anyone ever took TGM serious
    Like ever?? My fave one was Messi letting others take penalties (Its because he missed them :pac:) ignoring Ronaldo let Benzema take one last week while Ronaldo was on his hattrick
    Last season Ronaldo got 12 assists in CL & La Liga, Messi got 14
    The lad hasnt a clue about football, he clearly has a pointless hatred of Ronaldo

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Think people have been judging Real more than Ronaldo as they came second to Spurs in the group & the head to heads and are off the normal pace in la liga.
    I doubt Real would have got through as easy against most other sides as PSG for an expensive team at home were beyond disappointing. I'll give an honourable shoutout to Dani Alves who was utterly pathetic & disinterested in anything resembling effort.

The same PSG who were tipped to beat Real
    Up against any team Real are faves besides perhaps Barca

The same PSG who were tipped to beat Real
    Up against any team Real are faves besides perhaps Barca

Well usually PSG crash out in circumstances where they themselves are to blame due to missing chances or dropping leads. Always before the semi's.
    I think if PSG played like that against most of the sides in the last 16 they'd be out too. Madrid had the quality to take their chances but PSG were poor defensively, offered little in midfield beyond the first half in the tie even with Kroos/Modric out & Casemiro in bad form this season and their attack could have been potent if they looked to pass to one another in better positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

and yet many would have you believe he's having a shit season.
    dfx- wrote: »
    So the many would be right

How can you say that with a straight face?

Well usually PSG crash out in circumstances where they themselves are to blame due to missing chances or dropping leads. Always before the semi's.
    I think if PSG played like that against most of the sides in the last 16 they'd be out too. Madrid had the quality to take their chances but PSG were poor defensively, offered little in midfield beyond the first half in the tie even with Kroos/Modric out & Casemiro in bad form this season and their attack could have been potent if they looked to pass to one another in better positions.

PSG would have walked over most of the last 16, only City from England would match them
    Its funny how much you underrate the winner of the last two champions league down to a team that took there chances
    PSG were unlucky to get drawn against Real. put them up against Liverpool/United/Porto/Besiktas/etc they beat those teams.

PSG would have walked over most of the last 16, only City from England would match them
    Its funny how much you underrate the winner of the last two champions league down to a team that took there chances
    PSG were unlucky to get drawn against Real. put them up against Liverpool/United/Porto/Besiktas/etc they beat those teams.

Based on their performance last night no most of the teams would have won there. They beat Bayern back in match day 1 but spent the next few months beating Ligue 1 sides and putting their boots on their heads. I haven't been bowled over by Bayern this season even with the managerial chance but they beat them easily in the reverse fixture.

Anyway....
    Confirmed line-ups:

Tottenham Hotspur XI: Lloris, Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Alli, Kane, Son

Substitutes: Vorm, Rose, Lamela, Wanyama, Sissoko, Llorente, Lucas Moura

Juventus XI: Buffon, Barzagli, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro, Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi, Dybala, Higuain, Douglas Costa

Substitutes: Szczesny, Marchisio, Asamoah, Rugani, Lichtsteiner, Sturaro, Bentancur

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Two strong sides, and I'd expect a good game. Bloody nervous after seeing their squad.

Based on their performance last night no most of the teams would have won there. They beat Bayern back in match day 1 but spent the next few months beating Ligue 1 sides and putting their boots on their heads. I haven't been bowled over by Bayern this season even with the managerial chance but they beat them easily in the reverse fixture.

Anyway....
    Confirmed line-ups:

Tottenham Hotspur XI: Lloris, Trippier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Alli, Kane, Son

Substitutes: Vorm, Rose, Lamela, Wanyama, Sissoko, Llorente, Lucas Moura

Juventus XI: Buffon, Barzagli, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro, Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi, Dybala, Higuain, Douglas Costa

Substitutes: Szczesny, Marchisio, Asamoah, Rugani, Lichtsteiner, Sturaro, Bentancur

Based on the group stages which they topped and not the champions of Europe i think you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

He turned 33 two days ago lad.

Cristiano Ronaldo actually turned 33 last month, his birthday is in February :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Would love to see Spurs go through

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Would love to see Spurs go through

But Buffon :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement