Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

irishman86 wrote: »
    But Buffon :(

Dammit. Read his Twitter post to Astori, heart breaking.

Decent start for spurs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

And that ladies and gentlemen is why you should always go down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Further proof the extra officials beside the goals are as useful as a paper umbrella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    Liverpool (ENG) 0 V 0 Porto (POR) (Agg 5-0)
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 1 V 2 Real Madrid (ESP) (Agg 2-5)
    Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) 1 V 2 Juventus (ITA) (Agg 3-4)
    Manchester City (ENG) 1 V 2 Basel (SUI) (Agg 5-2)

Next Up
    2nd Legs
    Tuesday March 13th

Manchester United (ENG) V Sevilla (ESP) (Agg 0-0) - Live on BT Sport 2 / TV3
    Roma (ITA) V Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) (Agg 1-2) - Live on BT Sport BT Sport 3 / Eir Sport 2

Wednesday March 14th
    Barcelona (ESP) V Chelsea (ENG) (Agg 1-1) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Beşiktaş (TUR) V Bayern München (GER) (Agg 0-5) - Live on BT Sport 3 / Eir Sport 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Can the PL teams get drawn against each other in the next round?

Berserker wrote: »
    Can the PL teams get drawn against each other in the next round?

Yes open draw from now on anyone can draw anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'd actually have Madrid as favourite's, they're a different animal in this competition

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

City to beat Barca in a the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

After seeing that first leg, can't see Spurs getting through

TBH, I wanted Spurs to win ahead of those match fixers, but couldn't see it happening. Spurs just reminded me a bit of Napoli here, playing Juve off the field again and again but always coming out the wrong side of the result, a soft underbelly. Juve have regressed this year so they probably won't win it outright, but then again all the top teams are struggling to hit form. Juve a value each way bet at least, considering no one has really given them a chance this year. They'll always get goals on the counter, so if their defense improves a bit you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Of course, he's paid to score goals. If he couldn't even do that in the era, league and team he finds himself in, well he wouldn't even be worth mentioning. Messi's off being the fulcrum of a team, the playmaker, with goal scoring being a happy bonus on top of his performance. You didn't lay out the criteria but you certainly defend it.

It's funny watching Messi let other players take penos and setting up tap ins with pull backs when he could of scored the goals himself, how many more would he have had otherwise over the years? Even Messi grew out of the goal stat nonsense a few years back. And that's before we get into how many more he would have if he played higher up the field and had double the chances per game. So it's hard to argue Ronaldo is better at the one criteria he can be compared to Messi on... scoring goals. Everything else, forget about it.

So I guess if comparing goal stats makes Ronaldo fanboys happy in believing he's anywhere close to Messi's level, or ever was, keep at it.

Sounds like your being harsh on Ronaldo imo. The hardest thing to do in the game is to score goals. Sure it's a team sport but the dominance Real Madrid have enjoyed in Champions League is largely down to Ronaldo's goals. There is no other player period in the last few years that score more goals against the biggest teams in Europe. He scored against against PSG in both legs and lets not forget PSG were favorites to win the Champions League until they were drawn against Real Madrid.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Think people have been judging Real more than Ronaldo as they came second to Spurs in the group & the head to heads and are off the normal pace in la liga.
    I doubt Real would have got through as easy against most other sides as PSG for an expensive team at home were beyond disappointing. I'll give an honourable shoutout to Dani Alves who was utterly pathetic & disinterested in anything resembling effort.

Fair point but I think Real Madrid are a bad match up for anyone. This is by far their fav competition. I know PSG have been criticised heavily but they didn't turn into a bad team over night. Let's not forget they were favorite to knockout the holders by the bookies. You would still expect PSG to cause any of the top sides problems over 2 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beya2009 wrote: »
    Sounds like your being harsh on Ronaldo imo.

He has had a chip on his shoulder about Ronaldo for years, I wouldn't waste much time looking for logic there. Believe me, it's all been said before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How can you say that with a straight face?

I don't know why that is so controversial. He was very very poor from September to January, so how can he have a good season...

He's having a good January to March alright, but not a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    eagle eye wrote: »
    He has the same amount of league goals as Iago Aspas, 16, which for him is a bad season.

When people are saying he is having an awful season they are comparing him to himself and Messi and Suarez only.

La Liga goals the last three seasons:

35 in 36
    25 in 29
    16 in 21 (current season)

Champions League goals in the last three seasons:

16 in 12
    12 in 13
    12 in 8

He's on track for an overall drop off this season compared to last, but nothing dramatic and the decline in output is nothing over and above a curve you'd expect for a man turning from 30 to 33 during the period in question.

There is nothing "awful" in any of the above. Nothing "bad" in any of the above. Messi has 32 goals in his 41 games this year compared to Ronaldo's 31 in 33; Suarez has 23 in 38.

So really, what the **** are you or anyone else talking about? The Goat is still the Goat, 33 or no.
    Maybe you should read a post before you quote it.

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't know why that is so controversial. He was very very poor from September to January, so how can he have a good season...

Because you are saying he had a **** season when it is only true if you compare it against his own records from earlier years. Compare it to mere mortals and its nowhere near ****, from lots of top players it would in fact be a season for the ages.

From September to the start of January for example, he hit 4 goals and 2 assists in 12 league games. 9 goals and 1 assists in 6 CL games. Then 2 goals in 3 games for the various cups. So, 15 goals and 3 assists in 21 games.

If that is ****, if that is very very bad, then there are a lot of very very **** players out there because there are a lot of strikers that would be content with those numbers.

Call his season and his numbers disappointing if you want, but labeling it as **** isn't really judging things fairly.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous. Like saying a player who does nothing for the first half but scores 2 in second didn’t have a good game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who are the mere mortals who considers 4 goals in 12 league games at the top level as a season for the ages?

I don't think there's a goalscorer across any top league who would consider that a good return and be happy with that.

Who are the mere mortals who considers 4 goals in 12 league games at the top level as a season for the ages?

I don't think there's a goalscorer across any top league who would consider that a good return and be happy with that.

So if Salah doesn’t score for the next 9 games he’s not had a great season? Stop digging.

I think Ronaldo also started last season a bit slow when compared to his ridiculously high standards but his numbers at the end of the season was solid. The logic dfx is using is completely flawed if we're judging players in quarters lol Surely better to judge their numbers at the end of the season. Luis Suárez started the season very slow and by dfx logic Luis Suárez is having a solid last 3 months but not a good season lol

Come on, history is choc full of brilliant players who had periods where they only picked up a few goals in a run of 9/10 games, it happens to every striker and is only evidence that you are not judging Ronaldo by the same criteria as every other player.

Lukaku for example, as a United fan I am delighted with his season but in fact he had a run of only 3 goals in 14 league games. £166m Mbappe had 5 goals in the first 12 league games he featured in this season. Guess who once got only 5 goals in the first 19 games he was available for Liverpool, back in 2011? Thats right, Luis Suarez. Look at the great Alan Shearers stats, year 2000 for example, 5 goals in 19 games.

A dry run happens to every striker and it is not a given that having a dry run automatically means the player is **** or "very very bad". My point remains very simple, if you look at Ronaldos season to this point you can absolutely label it less impressive than his own previous amazing seasons, but you cannot call it ****, not unless you are judging him by completely different criteria to every other player in football. (yeah, Messi, I know)

• Advertisement

Come on, history is choc full of brilliant players who had periods where they only picked up a few goals in a run of 9/10 games, it happens to every striker and is only evidence that you are not judging Ronaldo by the same criteria as every other player.

Lukaku for example, as a United fan I am delighted with his season but in fact he had a run of only 3 goals in 14 league games. £166m Mbappe had 5 goals in the first 12 league games he featured in this season. Guess who once got only 5 goals in the first 19 games he was available for Liverpool, back in 2011? Thats right, Luis Suarez. Look at the great Alan Shearers stats, year 2000 for example, 5 goals in 19 games.

A dry run happens to every striker and it is not a given that having a dry run automatically means the player is **** or "very very bad". My point remains very simple, if you look at Ronaldos season to this point you can absolutely label it less impressive than his own previous amazing seasons, but you cannot call it ****, not unless you are judging him by completely different criteria to every other player in football. (yeah, Messi, I know)

Ronaldo didn't come in for such harsh criticism during his dry patch because he is compared to a higher standard, it was quite simply because he was sh!te. Saying Suarez scored x amount of goals in x amount of games as a comparison, only serves to highlight the fallacy in your logic. You can be sure if Messi or Suarez are scoring 5 goals in 19 games, they are more industrious outfield, indirectly creating nearly every goal the team scores. Therefore, people come away from the game aware that they played well regardless. When Ronaldo goes through a dry patch, he is generally the quietest player on the pitch.

Imagine someone, who knew nothing about football, sat down and watched Messi, Suarez and Ronaldo play 12 games of football each, and in those 12 games they all only got 4 goals. You'd have quite the job trying to explain to this person afterwards, how Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world, considering this guy had just seen Ronaldo stand around like a statue for 12 games. In comparison, Messi and Suarez spent the 12 games dropping deep and playmaking. This is why Ronaldo comes in for such harsh criticism if he doesn't get a goal to paper over a poor performance, people are surprised at how poor his other onfield contributions generally are over 90 minutes. It's that simple really

Imagine someone, who knew nothing about football

Oh I don't need to imagine one.

Ye, I guess. Anyone who's opinion deviates from Ronaldo being one of the two best players ever knows nothing. And on top of that, how little all those people knew when they questioned Ronado's poor form during his dry patch, little did they know they were watching 90 minute masterclasses, their eye's were just tricked into rating Ronaldo to some other mythical standard so his contributions only "seemed" poor. If only I knew more about football :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

:pac::pac::pac:

Ye, I guess. Anyone who's opinion deviates from Ronaldo being one of the two best players ever knows nothing. And on top of that, how little all those people knew when they questioned Ronado's poor form during his dry patch, little did they know they were watching 90 minute masterclasses, their eye's were just tricked into rating Ronaldo to some other mythical standard so his contributions only "seemed" poor. If only I knew more about football :(
    Go watch the full 90 minutes of the two Real Madrid vs Man City games from the Champion's league in 2016 and then come back to me and tell me what improved the whole performance of Real Madrid in the second game. The answer is Cristiano Ronaldo who was clearly very badly missed in the first leg. He does a hell of a lot more than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Apparently Neymar wants to come back to Barca, not the brightest spark is he?

Yeah apparently he's not too happy about how little the rest of Europe care about their domestic league. Hammering teams like Dijon is just expected and ever if they win the domestic treble...who cares? lol He left Barca for money unfortunately and all that talk he left Barca to get out of Messi's shadow and win ballon d'Or just utter nonsense lol

How does making a decision you regret make someone 'not the brightest spark'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He'll need a bit of luck to escape PSG, I'd say they will demand he stays for his contract at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The reports that Neymar wants to leave come from the Spanish media who have been claiming the same thing for months. I'd take them with a pinch of salt. The next PSG coach is likely going to be someone that Neymar wants.
    beya2009 wrote: »
    Yeah apparently he's not too happy about how little the rest of Europe care about their domestic league. Hammering teams like Dijon is just expected and ever if they win the domestic treble...who cares? lol He left Barca for money unfortunately and all that talk he left Barca to get out of Messi's shadow and win ballon d'Or just utter nonsense lol

Well he himself was part of the Barca team that hammered Deportivo 8-0 away. If he wants to join a league where the top sides aren't expected to hammer the bottom sides then he'll struggle to find any club in the current climate. A few years ago you could have said the Premier League is the place for a competitive league but this season City have ran away with it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    He'll need a bit of luck to escape PSG, I'd say they will demand he stays for his contract at least.

Apparently PSG will demand 400 million euro and the PSG owner not known to be bullied by anyone to sell his players. I suppose anything is still possible especially if Real Madrid sell some of their players.

Also if Neymar is fit for the WC and has a good one, his value will surely only go up.

Go watch the full 90 minutes of the two Real Madrid vs Man City games from the Champion's league in 2016 and then come back to me and tell me what improved the whole performance of Real Madrid in the second game. The answer is Cristiano Ronaldo who was clearly very badly missed in the first leg. He does a hell of a lot more than you think.

Aye, he sure does. I mistook him for Maradona at one point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I did:
    He has the same amount of league goals as Iago Aspas, 16, which for him is a bad season.

When people are saying he is having an awful season they are comparing him to himself and Messi and Suarez only.

I then compared his output to Messi and Suarez for this season and it compares favourably. So again, what are you talking about?

Roma vs Shakhtar goalless at half-time. Anyone watching this one? Roma 2-1 down from the first leg.

Watching the highlights and Shakhtar look to have had the best chances.

Dzeko has scored. Advantage Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dzeko has scored. Advantage Roma.

considering how stingy they are at the back. That could be shaktar done for. Is it a good game? United sevilla is very poor.

Turtwig wrote: »
    considering how stingy they are at the back. That could be shaktar done for. Is it a good game? United sevilla is very poor.

I have it on in the background so I'm not watching it too closely but I saw Roma go close to a second on the counter. Looks like that's Roma's strategy at the minute. Sit back and hit them on the break.

Credit to Sevilla...have had a go and got rewarded by a goal and their not playing like a team 27 points behind Barca.

• Advertisement

Shakhtar down to ten now. Ordets off for fouling Dzeko as last man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You know what's funny? The RTE panel a couple of weeks were talking about how English football was in a great place and that all 5 teams could realistically make the quarter finals. Fast-forward to tomorrow night and the likelihood is that only Liverpool and Man City will be there. I hope I haven't jinxed Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

sligeach wrote: »
    You know what's funny? The RTE panel a couple of weeks were talking about how English football was in a great place and that all 5 teams could realistically make the quarter finals. Fast-forward to tomorrow night and the likelihood is that only Liverpool and Man City will be there. I hope I haven't jinxed Barca.

Ha was thinking that. In fairness I thought Man U would go through but never thought Spurs would beat Juve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Brexit in full swing :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You know what's funny? The RTE panel a couple of weeks were talking about how English football was in a great place and that all 5 teams could realistically make the quarter finals. Fast-forward to tomorrow night and the likelihood is that only Liverpool and Man City will be there.
    Especially so when they were all unbeaten after the first leg with Spurs and Utd having the 2nd leg at home.

So far there has been 3 seeded and 4 unseeded teams going through to the quarter finals, unless Bayern implode tomorrow. The shake up in Pot 1 of group stage has really had a knock on effect for winning and finishing 2nd in the groups taking away that bigger advantage teams had of winning their groups

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I did:

I then compared his output to Messi and Suarez for this season and it compares favourably. So again, what are you talking about?
    I'm talking about the standard to which he is held.
    Him having a bad season is being behind Messi and Suarez. If he drops off them a bit then people will say he is finished or having an awful season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Maybe the UEFA should do away with the rule that teams from the same country cant draw against each other in this round.
    Gives the English a beter chance to get through when they can draw each other.

If Chelsea do come up short (they still have a chance but will need to be brave and not play like how they did against Man City away lol) then just 2 of 5 teams going through is a pretty poor return. It's the general consensus at least by the British media that the EPL is by far the best league in the world.

If it is just the 2 that go through...well they were given favorable draws in Porto and Basel that's for sure. You just need a bit of luck I guess. To be fair PSG topped a tricky group and got Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Eamon Dunphy referred to Fernandinho(33 in May) as a young player. My night has peaked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Courtois & de Gea making howlers in the last two nights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement