Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Messi put the ball in off both Courtois' legs, on his right foot, from that angle. Ridiculous finish. Who else does that?

Good play and super finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Chelsea hadn't been bad by any stretch. Bit of bad luck and a lot of quality and the games as good as done.

I love watching barcelona play this beautiful attacking football but whenever they get a corner, I do wonder why they bother crossing it into the box, the amount those little lads actually score from must be tiny.

Gbear wrote: »
    Chelsea hadn't been bad by any stretch. Bit of bad luck and a lot of quality and the games as good as done.

I wouldn't write chelsea off yet, if they get the next goal it will be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

inforfun wrote: »
    Maybe the UEFA should do away with the rule that teams from the same country cant draw against each other in this round.
    Gives the English a beter chance to get through when they can draw each other.

Do all countries not get the same chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Pretty poor fare in the Champions League this year.

Chelsea look a shadow of their former selves. Fabregas doesn't have the legs and the 2 boys at the back haven't looked convincing.

Willian probably the best player in that side. Hazard isn't great. Too greedy for me.

English sides being shown up again.
    Man City look fairly strong but don't have much experience in the latter stages and their home ground isn't really a fortress.

Hard to look past Madrid and Barca again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Champions league separates the men from the boys. I think it's fair to say the best 8 teams in Europe are in the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Real Madrid
    Roma
    Seville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Real Madrid
    Roma
    Seville

The cream of the crop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Draw I'd like to see:

Man City vs Real Madrid
    Liverpool vs Barcelona
    Juventus vs Roma
    Bayern vs Sevilla

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I'd like to see Liverpool get Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd like.

City Barca.
    Liverpool Juventus
    Bayern Real
    Roma Sevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Barca will go on to win it, hopefully.

Messi, there's no more superlatives you can use to describe him.

He didn't even play well over the two legs but was ultra clinical when it mattered.

Liverpool need a side that is a bit gung-ho. So RM/Juve would be the worst ones - City always have problems with Liverpool and obviously the victor would reach the semi-finals which would be good for the PL coefficient (yeah like I really care!) - I suspect Bayern are a bit soft so lacking are they any domestic competition.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think Barca will go on to win it, hopefully.

Messi, there's no more superlatives you can use to describe him.

He didn't even play well over the two legs but was ultra clinical when it mattered.

That's Barca under valverde this season. They only really concede low percentage chances and are just very very clinical.

Busquets injury could be significant.

Don't discount bayern they've been impressive since jupp returned.

Turtwig wrote: »
    That's Barca under valverde this season. They only really concede low percentage chances and are just very very clinical.

I don't like Barca at all but I'd pick them over Real in the stakes of hatred. :o

I do however love Messi so I'd be happy to see him win another CL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

niallo27 wrote: »
    Champions league separates the men from the boys. I think it's fair to say the best 8 teams in Europe are in the quarters.

Its really not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

irishman86 wrote: »
    Its really not

You could argue Roma and Sevilla I suppose. They have had soft draws so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bless

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Turtwig wrote: »

Paulinho might be able to deputise there now though compared to other seasons ably helped by Rakitic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Results
    2nd Legs

Manchester United (ENG) 1 V 2 Sevilla (ESP) (Agg 1-2)
    Roma (ITA) 1 V 0 Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) (Agg 2-2) Roma (ITA) win on away goals
    Barcelona (ESP) 3 V 0 Chelsea (ENG) (Agg 4-1)
    Beşiktaş (TUR) 1 V 3 Bayern München (GER) (Agg 1-8)

Quarter Final Line Up
    Real Madrid (ESP) - UEFA Club Ranking 1 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W28 L6. This Season P8 W6 D1 L1 F22 A9
    Bayern München (GER) - UEFA Club Ranking 2 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W18 L10. This Season P8 W7 D0 L1 F21 A7
    Barcelona (ESP) - UEFA Club Ranking 3 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W14 L5. This Season P8 W5 D3 L0 F13 A2
    Juventus (ITA) - UEFA Club Ranking 5 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W12 L5. This Season P8 W4 D3 L1 F11 A8
    Sevilla (ESP) - UEFA Club Ranking 6 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W0 L1. This Season P8 W3 D4 L1 F14 A13
    Manchester City (ENG) - UEFA Club Ranking 8 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W1 L0. This season P8 W6 D0 L2 F19 A7
    Roma (ITA) - UEFA Club Ranking 24 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W1 L2. This season P8 W4 D2 L2 F11 A8
    Liverpool (ENG) - UEFA Club Ranking 30 - European Cup Quarter Final Record W9 L4. This Season P8 W4 D4 L0 F28 A6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Poor enough in the groups but Atletico are definitely better than those (and Liverpool ;))

dfx- wrote: »
    Paulinho might be able to deputise there now though compared to other seasons ably helped by Rakitic too.

He badly needs a rest. Because of China he's had no real break since January last year I think.

He's no where as press resistant as Busquets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Poor enough in the groups but Atletico are definitely better than those (and Liverpool ;))

Roma topped the group with Atletico & Chelsea in it tho. Atletico's dreadful results vs Qarabag is the reason they didn't make the knockouts. Probably at Chrlsea's expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ERG89 wrote: »
    Roma topped the group with Atletico & Chelsea in it tho. Atletico's dreadful results vs Qarabag is the reason they didn't make the knockouts. Probably at Chrlsea's expense.

Oh this season they deservedly went out, but they're a better team than both.

You know why i like you niallo. You dont even pretend :pac:

Oh this season they deservedly went out, but they're a better team than both.

As are PSG
    All comes down to the luck of the draw
    PSG top a group and get drawn against the holders, that is just hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Draw will be interesting...there will surely be some juicy match ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The best teams don't always go through, that's more evident now than ever with Roma and Sevilla gling through. They aren't terrible teams but there are better than them that aren't in the last 8

• Advertisement

The best teams don't always go through, that's more evident now than ever with Roma and Sevilla gling through. They aren't terrible teams but there are better than them that aren't in the last 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Roma should have been without a chance after match 1 against Shakhtar.
    Sevilla were the right team to go through over the 2 matches.

They did beat a strong Atletico team home and away for the Copa del Rey and i have said it before here somewhere, it looks like they are in "EL\cup mode" so dont let the La Liga results fool you.
    Only Real and Barca should be happy when they draw them, the other teams really shouldnt.

And i dont know where i heard this, as i saw most of the match via a Dutch stream and the rest via an English\American one....

Fastest goal ever for Messi who also only once scored in injury time.
    For someone who does have a goal in him, those are weird stats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

inforfun wrote: »
    They did beat a strong Atletico team home and away for the Copa del Rey and i have said it before here somewhere, it looks like they are in "EL\cup mode" so dont let the La Liga results fool you.
    Only Real and Barca should be happy when they draw them, the other teams really shouldnt.

I think they should be very happy to draw them. They're very arguably the worst, or second worst, of the 8 teams remaining.

Admittedly, they do do well in cups, but they're an average team, don't have any stand-out attacking talent and for most of the season have had a defence like a sieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Roma topped a group with Atletico & Chelsea then beat Shaktar who knocked out Napoli. Sevilla finished runners up but didn't lose to Liverpool & convinvingly won at Old Trafford so I don't see them being lucky.
    No team eliminated can feel aggrieved really. Maybe Shaktar on away goals. Spurs, at home were a goal up at half time but didn't adapt to Juve changing wingbacks, United being proud of drawing away from home was a headscratcher as it leaves you having to win comfortably at home & PSG put up so little fight at home I'm glad to see them gone early as they didn't deserve a spot.
    Liverpool, City, Barca, Real & Bayern got through comfortably from the group stages to the last 8 so I don't see what team should feel unlucky.

Roma topped a group with Atletico & Chelsea then beat Shaktar who knocked out Napoli. Sevilla finished runners up but didn't lose to Liverpool & convinvingly won at Old Trafford so I don't see them being lucky.
    No team eliminated can feel aggrieved really. Maybe Shaktar on away goals. Spurs, at home were a goal up at half time but didn't adapt to Juve changing wingbacks, United being proud of drawing away from home was a headscratcher as it leaves you having to win comfortably at home & PSG put up so little fight at home I'm glad to see them gone early as they didn't deserve a spot.
    Liverpool, City, Barca, Real & Bayern got through comfortably from the group stages to the last 8 so I don't see what team should feel unlucky.

In the context of this discussion the below statement was made:

I disagree with this. The best 8 teams in Europe are not in the last 8, Sevilla and Roma being two at the very least that would be in doubt in my opinion.

Whatever their journey to the last 8, getting there doesn't mean you are top 8, the same as winning it doesn't mean you are the best team in Europe, though that generally is the case. Teams can have off nights, others can get lucky with draws, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see them there and I'm delighted to see United out, but the statement is wrong, again, in my opinion.

Messi scored his 100th CL goal last night and done it in 14 less games than Ronaldo.

I dont like Barca at all but I hope he can lead them to another CL from here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Messi scored his 100th CL goal last night and done it in 14 less games than Ronaldo.
    Ronaldo didn't score in his first 29 games in the competition... his record since joining Real is actually superior.

Ronaldo didn't score in his first 29 games in the competition... his record since joining Real is actually superior.

We'll discard those games so. :pac:

Messi's goal:games ratio is still better than Ronaldos but I cant see him catching Ronaldos total, as he continues to score on the big stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    In the context of this discussion the below statement was made:

I disagree with this. The best 8 teams in Europe are not in the last 8, Sevilla and Roma being two at the very least that would be in doubt in my opinion.

Whatever their journey to the last 8, getting there doesn't mean you are top 8, the same as winning it doesn't mean you are the best team in Europe, though that generally is the case. Teams can have off nights, others can get lucky with draws, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to see them there and I'm delighted to see United out, but the statement is wrong, again, in my opinion.

So who in your opinion should be in the last 8?

So who in your opinion should be in the last 8?

The teams that are there. That doesn't mean they are the best 8 in Europe though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

We'll discard those games so. :pac:

Messi's goal:games ratio is still better than Ronaldos but I cant see him catching Ronaldos total, as he continues to score on the big stages.
    Not implying we should discard them, just thought it was quite an interesting stat.

Messi being 2.5 years younger, I wouldn't rule him out catching up.

Not implying we should discard them, just thought it was quite an interesting stat.

Messi being 2.5 years younger, I wouldn't rule him out catching up.

I dont think he will TBH, Ronaldo is a different animal once the KO stages start and hes going to be pushing 20 CL goals this year again.

Money money money

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYUUhL_WkAAbbkm.jpg

Celtic make so much for failing every year, no wonder they are so dominant.

Had to laugh at these comments regarding the debate that Chelsea are not a European powerhouse from an article in the guardian by Dominic Fifield.

"They've (Chelsea) never been European heavyweights. They belong in the pile with psg and man city.

That is the truth. Milan, Liverpool, Man Utd, Real, Barca, Juve are the true top table wether you like it or not"

Reply...

"Man Utd are 16 points behind City.
    AC Milan are 27 points behind Juventus.

Liverpool have never won the Premier League. Utd have not won it for 5 years, and don't look like they are going to win it for the forseeable future.

But yes they used to be good. Years ago. So did Arsenal. So did Wolves, and before that Sunderland, Huddersfield, Preston, Accrington Stanley"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

beya2009 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at these comments regarding the debate that Chelsea are not a European powerhouse from an article in the guardian by Dominic Fifield.

"They've (Chelsea) never been European heavyweights. They belong in the pile with psg and man city.

That is the truth. Milan, Liverpool, Man Utd, Real, Barca, Juve are the true top table wether you like it or not"

Reply...

"Man Utd are 16 points behind City.
    AC Milan are 27 points behind Juventus.

Liverpool have never won the Premier League. Utd have not won it for 5 years, and don't look like they are going to win it for the forseeable future.

But yes they used to be good. Years ago. So did Arsenal. So did Wolves, and before that Sunderland, Huddersfield, Preston, Accrington Stanley"

Accrington Stanley were once European heavyweights?

Chelsea have hardly made a dent in Europe. They rose to prominence for a 2-3 year period, won a Champion League and an odd Cup Winners Cup, and disappeared off the European radar again. So whether the criteria for being a European heavyweight is based on past success or a more recent metric, I don't see how Chelsea could be considered a heavyweight under any criteria. Or Man City or PSG for that matter.

I saw another article in the gurdian by Barney Ronay basically saying Mourinho no longer a force in the champions league.

"Mourinho is unusually bad at negotiating the sharp end of this competition. That he is, with two wins in 10 and everything from funds to pedigree in his favour, the worst manager in the past 10 years of the Champions League knockout stages.

Too much? Probably. But the real issue is not his place in the hierarchy of knockout failure. Instead it is Mourinho’s dogged persistence with an approach that, frankly, no longer works at this level."

I really can't stand Mourinho to be honest but that statement is harsh. He's won it twice which is no easy feat. Pep as great as he is has struggled in the business end of the champions league since he left Barca and he too has had all the resources at his disposal. His Bayern side got hammered time after time by Spanish opposition. It's a difficult competition to never mind win but also reach the latter stages. English teams have struggled in this competition in the last few years which just highlights how difficult it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looks more to be a problem for Mourinho having those resources as his wins were with Porto and Inter.
    Inter wasnt poor at the time but not the resources there he since had at Chelsea,Real and Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This has the potential to be the best quarter final draw in years. All the big teams are there. Everyone will be looking for Romance or Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Barcelona v Roma
    Sevilla v Bayern
    Juventus v Real

So I wonder what that leaves.

Liverpool v Man City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Full Draw:

Barcelona vs Roma
    Sevilla vs Bayern Munich
    Juventus vs Real Madrid
    Liverpool vs Man City

The last two games look the most exciting.

Advertisement