Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter Final
    Barcelona (ESP) V Roma (ITA)
    Sevilla (ESP) V Bayern München (GER)
    Juventus (ITA) V Real Madrid (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG) V Manchester City (ENG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

LOL EPL teams are fighting themselves :D

Barcelona (ESP) v Roma (ITA)
    Sevilla (ESP) v Bayern (GER)
    Juventus (ITA) v Real Madrid (ESP)
    Liverpool (ENG) v Manchester City (ENG)

That'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Barca
    Bayern
    Real
    Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What an anticlimax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

F*ck sake.

Liverpool-City. Boring.

Was hoping we (Liverpool) would get Barca or Real tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You'd expect Barca and Bayern to have too much fro Roma and Sevilla.

Think Real will edge out Juve.

City v Liverpool is tough to call and could be a high scoring tie. I'd go for City if I had to choose.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool v City could be one of the most exciting 2 legs of football you'll see all season.

Man City being at home for the second leg gives them a massive advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Disappointing draw considering its potential.

Apart from bayern though I don't think any victors are exceptionally obvious.

Bayern
    Barca
    Real
    Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

from lofty expectations of having 5 out of 8 QF sides to the reality of 1 out of 4 semifinalists again :)

Decent draw for Barcelona if they can get past Roma.

I knew Shevchenko would fix it. Barca, Real and Bayern avoided each other and the 2 Premiership teams. Nevermind an all Premiership final, there'll only be 1 of them in the semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Who did United get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I fancy this Juve team to win in Turin and grind out a result in Madrid.

City-Liverpool could go either way. Too close to call for me.
    I will go for Liverpool here.

Barcelona will beat Roma handily enough.

Bayern will beat Sevilla but will have a scare along the way. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Have they drawn for the semi's too?

Leave it lads.

Banter over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll predict:

Barca
    Bayern
    Real
    Man City

Think the last two will have a battle on their hands and get through by a goal. Reckon Barca and Bayern will be through fairlly comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll predict:

Barca
    Bayern
    Real
    Man City

Think the last two will have a battle on their hands and get through by a goal. Reckon Barca and Bayern will be through fairlly comfortably.

Juve v Real & City v Pool are tough to call, could go either way really.

Youre right about Barca and Bayern, they should have enough to get through wihtout much trouble.

Have they drawn for the semi's too?

Nope there will be another big day out for those who get to the semi finals

Barcelona (ESP) v Roma (ITA)
    1st leg: 4 April, 2nd leg: 10 April

4 previous UEFA meetings:
    1 Barcelona win
    1 Roma win
    2 draws
    Most recent encounter came in the 2015/16 group stage, the Spanish side winning 6-1 in the Camp Nou with Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez both scoring twice.
    Barcelona are 12 matches unbeaten against Italian sides at the Camp Nou (W9 D3).
    Lionel Messi has 12 goals in 19 games against Serie A opposition at a rate of one every 136 minutes

Sevilla (ESP) v Bayern München (GER)
    1st leg: 3 April, 2nd leg: 11 April

These clubs have never met before in UEFA competition.
    Bayern have lost on their last five trips to Spain; Sevilla have never lost at home to visitors from Germany (W7 D4).
    Sevilla overcame German opposition in four of their five UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League-winning campaigns.

Juventus (ITA) v Real Madrid (ESP, holders)
    1st leg: 3 April, 2nd leg: 11 April

19 previous meetings:
    8 Juventus wins
    9 Real Madrid wins
    2 draws
    A repeat of last season's final, when Madrid won 4-1 in Cardiff.
    Cristiano Ronaldo has seven goals in five matches against Juventus – one every 64 minutes.
    Juve have won the teams' last four two-legged knockout ties on aggregate, including their 2014/15 semi-final – the last time Madrid were knocked out of the competition.
    The Bianconeri have won six of the sides' seven most recent meetings in Turin

Liverpool (ENG) v Manchester City (ENG)
    1st leg: 4 April, 2nd leg: 10 April

The pair have never met before in UEFA competition.
    In domestic fixtures Liverpool have dominated, recording 87 wins to City's 45, with 46 draws.
    City have won just one of their last eight encounters with Liverpool in all competitions, losing five. The Reds are the only team to beat Pep Guardiola's charges in this season's Premier League.
    Raheem Sterling scored 18 goals in 95 Premier League appearances for Liverpool between 2012 and 2015; James Milner was a member of Manchester City's title-winning squads in 2012 and 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Barcelona vs Roma
    Sevilla vs Bayern Munich
    Juventus vs Real Madrid
    Liverpool vs Man City

I'll go for Barca, Bayern, Madrid and Liverpool. I think Liverpool will take City over two legs. They have improved a great deal since their drubbing at Man City earlier this season and have the beating of them, as we saw at Anfield a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Juventus have a very good record against Real Madrid over two legs in recent history - 1996, 2003, 2005, 2015.

Not an easy tie to predict plus advantage Juve with the away leg second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not an easy tie to predict plus advantage Juve with the away leg second.

It's advantage if you're away the first leg, not the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Only thing is away goals scored in extra time are gold.

But yea being at home in the second leg is definitely a huge advantage.

I don't know if it matters as much in he English tie though. While arsenal felt the European atmosphere at afield back in the yesteryear, I don't think City will flinch. The same vice versa.

not a bit worried by the 2nd leg in Manchester.

our fans will probably be louder than theirs anyway. their fans (the ones in the stadium) seem to dislike the Champions League, or at least not be that bothered by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are they still booing the Champions League Anthem in that part of Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd expect Juve to take Madrid. Both teams have gone backwards since last year but Juve always do them over 2 legs. Madrid beat them in the last two finals they played, early goals and Juve forced to come out of their comfort zone and chase the games, but they'll be alot tighter over two legs. I'd be surprised if Ronaldo even gets a look in, was fortunate the way things fell last year, offside goals against Bayern and scoring against 10 men when Bayern were chasing a game with huge space left, second goal v Juve when they had to chase the game etc. It will be far tougher v Juve this time round over 2 legs.

Liverpool will probably take City as City will play into their hands and normally bottle it this far in anyway, Liverpool tend to excel on big European nights. City will dominate possession and force Liverpool back but City are flimsy in defense, so Liverpool will rip them a new one on the counter. Huge pressure by the way of expectation on City in front of their own fans in the second leg, they'll capitulate.

Bayern under Jupp are far more pragmatic than when they tried to play that tiki-taka nonsense that only Barca can really excel at. They won't concede possession to Seville, and will sustain huge pressure on them and could give them a right hiding.

Roma will give a decent account of themselves v Barca, but will ultimately lose.

Liverpool will probably take City as City will play into their hands and normally bottle it this far in anyway, Liverpool tend to excel on big European nights. City will dominate possession and force Liverpool back but City are flimsy in defense, so Liverpool will rip them a new one on the counter. Huge pressure by the way of expectation on City in front of their own fans in the second leg, they'll capitulate.

it'll be tit for tat.

Liverpool's defence is also sh unless VVD holds Lovren together somehow. Both defences are flimsy, so I honestly think it'll be whoever can overpower who in the middle.

Can City be good enough to beat the Liverpool press? if they are, they'll destroy Liverpool. if Liverpool are disciplined and have enough energy for long enough, then it will be a fúcking amazing tie that can go either way.

City undoubtedly have the edge, but it can't be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

SlickRic wrote: »
    it'll be tit for tat.

Liverpool's defence is also sh unless VVD holds Lovren together somehow. Both defences are flimsy, so I honestly think it'll be whoever can overpower who in the middle.

Can City be good enough to beat the Liverpool press? if they are, they'll destroy Liverpool. if Liverpool are disciplined and have enough energy for long enough, then it will be a fúcking amazing tie that can go either way.

City undoubtedly have the edge, but it can't be called.

I think the only thing that can beat Liverpool is a park the bus job and frustrate them. I see City dominating possession, and forcing Liverpool back, so this strengthens Liverpool's flimsy defense. The Liverpool press should keep this sideways passing out of dangerous area's, and City will be leaving big spaces for lightning counter attacks when Liverpool break. It was no fluke Liverpool hit 4 on the bounce last time they met, before Liverpool pulled up. Bayern hammered Barca doing this before, and in turn Madrid done it to Bayern the following year when Pep took over. Pep's possession game has huge weaknesses, and Liverpool are the type of team that perfectly counters it imo. But we'll see I guess. Liverpool will be a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'll go for

Barca
    Juve
    Bayern
    Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Was specifically talking about Juve. Keep it tight first leg in Turin 1-0 and get an away goal in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

beya2009 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at these comments regarding the debate that Chelsea are not a European powerhouse from an article in the guardian by Dominic Fifield.

"They've (Chelsea) never been European heavyweights. They belong in the pile with psg and man city.

That is the truth. Milan, Liverpool, Man Utd, Real, Barca, Juve are the true top table wether you like it or not"

Reply...

"Man Utd are 16 points behind City.
    AC Milan are 27 points behind Juventus.

Liverpool have never won the Premier League. Utd have not won it for 5 years, and don't look like they are going to win it for the forseeable future.

But yes they used to be good. Years ago. So did Arsenal. So did Wolves, and before that Sunderland, Huddersfield, Preston, Accrington Stanley"

And Bayern not on the elite list? Really the big 4 consistently over the years in my eyes are Barca, Bayern, Juve and Real Madrid.

From the 2018/19 season, a fourth substitute listed on the match sheet may take part in knockout matches exclusively during extra time. This will not affect the other three substitutions.

• Exceptionally for the UEFA Champions League final, UEFA Europa League final and UEFA Super Cup, 23 players (instead of 18 players for all other matches) may be included on the match sheet. This will allow 12 substitutes (instead of seven) to sit on the bench in these finals – giving clubs and, in particular, coaches more flexibility regarding substitutes, and facilitate their squad management for the most important fixture of the season.

• New kick-off times in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League:

UEFA Champions League play-offs, group-stage games, round of 16 matches, quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final will kick off at 21:00CET. However, on every group-stage matchday, two of the Tuesday and two of the Wednesday matches will kick off at 18:55CET. All fixtures on the last matchday will be played simultaneously. Exceptions to this rule can be made by the UEFA administration.

So only 2 of group games each evening will have an early kick off - I am guessing these will be the Russian and other Eastern European teams

UEFA Europa League matches from the group stage until round of 16 matches will kick off at 18:55 and 21:00CET. The kick-off times will be decided in accordance with the draw. In principle, games within a group will be played simultaneously on the last matchday. The quarter-finals, semi-finals and final will all kick off at 21:00CET. Exceptions can be made by the UEFA administration.
    The UEFA Super Cup will kick-off at 21:00CET. This already applies to the 2018 UEFA Super Cup which will be played on 15 August at Tallinn's Lilleküla Stadium in Estonia.
    • Regarding the registration of players after a group stage of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, a club may register three new eligible players without any restrictions. This is in line with the existing regulatory situation in the different domestic leagues, which does not impose restrictions on the eligibility for competitions of players registered for a new club during the winter transfer window.

• As was already the case in the UEFA Champions League, as of the 2018/19 season, teams which have won the UEFA Europa League (or previously the UEFA Cup) three consecutive times or a minimum of five times may also wear a multiple-winner badge on the shirt sleeve. The only team entitled to wear this badge next season would be Sevilla FC, who have won the competition five times (2006, 2007, 2014, 2015, 2016).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• As was already the case in the UEFA Champions League, as of the 2018/19 season, teams which have won the UEFA Europa League (or previously the UEFA Cup) three consecutive times or a minimum of five times may also wear a multiple-winner badge on the shirt sleeve. The only team entitled to wear this badge next season would be Sevilla FC, who have won the competition five times (2006, 2007, 2014, 2015, 2016).

Sevilla should stick 2 of those badges on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Regarding the registration of players after a group stage of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, a club may register three new eligible players without any restrictions. This is in line with the existing regulatory situation in the different domestic leagues, which does not impose restrictions on the eligibility for competitions of players registered for a new club during the winter transfer window.
    Does this mean that cup tied is done away with? It's not very clear as it says eligible players but doesn't say if that means players that have played for other teams? Also with Aubameyang he was barred from playing with Arsenal as Dortmund were now in the Europa league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Signing players now in January that won't have them cup tied in European games could lead to some big transfers in the January windows going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’m not sure on that wording, I would certainly take it to mean that “eligible players” would be any player that hasn’t played in that competition, so instead of being able to register one extra player they can register 3.

Tuesday Games
    Sevilla (ESP) v Bayern München (GER) - Live on BT Sport 3 / Eir Sport 1
    Juventus (ITA) v Real Madrid (ESP) - Live on BT Sport 2 / TV 3

Wednesday Games
    Liverpool (ENG) v Manchester City (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2 / RTE 2
    Barcelona (ESP) v Roma (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 3 / Eir Sport 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump!

Juventus XI: Buffon; De Sciglio, Barzagli, Chiellini, Asamoah; Douglas Costa, Khedira, Bentancur, Alex Sandro; Dybala, Higuaín

Real Madrid XI: Keylor Navas; Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo; Kroos, Casemiro, Modric; Isco, Benzema, Ronaldo.

Sevilla XI: David Soria; Jesús Navas, Kjaer, Lenglet, Escudero; Pizarro, N'Zonzi; Sarabia, Vázquez, Correa; Ben Yedder

Bayern Munich XI: Ulreich; Kimmich, Boateng, Hummels, Bernat; Vidal, Javi Martínez, Thiago; Müller, Lewandowski, Ribéry

Huge test for Bentancur.

• Advertisement

RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Pffft finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great finish by Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

GOAT gonna GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some movement from him once again. An absolutely ridiculously good goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Brilliant 'screen' on Chellini by Benzema there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Real leading already.

Did I imagine things, or did TV3 have the strip colours the wrong way round, on the corner score ticker at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Ronaldo's poor season continues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Modric is amazing to watch

• Advertisement
Advertisement