Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

God bless Ronaldo
    A machine

Liam O wrote: »
    Where's Golden Miller tonight? Or is he still going to say Ronaldo's performance was only about the goals?

Well it was his goals that led to Juventus being open at the back. So yeah, if it wasn't for his goals he wouldn't have had the assist and therefore had a **** match. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liam O wrote: »
    Where's Golden Miller tonight? Or is he still going to say Ronaldo's performance was only about the goals?

To be fair, aside from the goals, he hasn't done much else. been relatively poor otherwise. The assist doesn't count for much because it was against a non-existent defense at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

We really need Liverpool to put it up to City tomorrow or the return leg week for this round will be a bit boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Nice to see Ronaldo acknowledge the home support like that. It's refreshing to see something other than bile, hated and stupidity in football all the time. Respect to Juve fans and Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why are Madrid going so well in the CL while being hit and miss in La Liga? And yes I know they have got better in the last 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nah don't write off Roma yet.
    It's still 0 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Who is the co-comm on TV3?
    Not saying he's brilliant or anything but a really nice change to the whining of Lawrenson.

Who is the co-comm on TV3?
    Not saying he's brilliant or anything but a really nice change to the whining of Lawrenson.

Chris Sutton - he's still dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo has been incredible in this calender year 2018 so far.

I think when both Ronaldo & Messi retire everyone will realise there the 2 greatest players of all time. Easily better than Pele & Maradona.

Why are Madrid going so well in the CL while being hit and miss in La Liga? And yes I know they have got better in the last 2 months

Because they are still one of the best teams in world football?

Football fans be so fickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Turtwig wrote: »
    Nah don't write off Roma yet.
    It's still 0 0.

It'll be shocking if it's any less than a 4 goal margin over the two legs.

Barca are more likely to score 10 than Roma win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looking like a

Madrid
    Bayern
    Barca
    Liverpool

Semi final

Motivation. Easier for big players who've won everything several times over to get themselves pumped for a tie in Turin against a European great as opposed to a trip to Getafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

"Buffon has hardly had a save to make"

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give Chris Sutton.... FFS.

BTW, what qualifies Juve to be termed 'European giants'? Italian giants yes, but for all their titles and perennial European Cup/Champions league participants, they have only won it twice.

Ancellotti and simeone are both on record with stating la liga is harder than UCl. You really only need to win 7 games for the UCL and have the margins go your way. La liga requires far more consistency.

Real, weren't at the races, Ronaldo included, for the first half of the season. Part of that too may have been peaking for this part of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"Buffon has hardly had a save to make"

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give Chris Sutton.... FFS.

Has he made any?

It's a pretty common commentating thing - one team is dominant but the keepers had nothing to do because he couldn't do anything about any of the chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Not listening to TV3 but Sutton always sounds like he's struggling to breath when he talks, his nose must be a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Gbear wrote: »
    Has he made any?

It's a pretty common commentating thing - one team is dominant but the keepers had nothing to do because he couldn't do anything about any of the chances.

Well, he did have at least 3 saves that needed making....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

And then Ronaldo misses a sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Didn't want the hat trick anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Looking like a

Madrid Bayern Barca Liverpool
    Semi final

Before a ball is even kicked for 2 of those first leg games.......

You're not a neutral anyways that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ianob7 wrote: »

He never said he was. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's why Chelsea sold him

Ronaldo doing his best to fvk up accumulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Probably should be a penalty for Cuadrado there, never understood why refs won't give a pen when a player is fouled after getting the shot off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

ianob7 wrote: »

To be fair barca will wipe their hole with Roma.

Also hope city will beat Liverpool as Madrid would murder them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

martyos121 wrote: »
    You spelt Puskas award winner wrong. That’s the one for the best goal, Ballon D’Or will go to the best player, likely to be Messi.

Not for me
    Since the start of 2018 Ronaldo has been ahead of Messi

irishman86 wrote: »
    Not for me
    Since the start of 2018 Ronaldo has been ahead of Messi

Don’t agree but it’s looking like a close race for it this year between the same two. It’ll be won in Russia this summer I reckon. Neymar could take the award yet if Brazil win the WC. If it was an award for the actual best footballer on the planet then there’d only be one winner in the last 8 years.

Turn of phrase sorry !

I gathered he was a Liverpool fan judging by the prediction.

Not trying to stir anything here btw

When is Ronaldo going to slow down ???? Man is ridiculous at this stage in his career

Many other players like him and Messi doing it this prolifically late in their career ?? Especially Ronaldo considering he's a bit older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Truly Iconic.

To be fair barca will wipe their hole with Roma.

Don't disagree with this in the slightest.

However the other tie is very very close...hard to call it . If it was just one game I'd favour Liverpool more than city

Hence my previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not a good set of results for RTE showing the second legs next Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Don’t agree but it’s looking like a close race for it this year between the same two. It’ll be won in Russia this summer I reckon. Neymar could take the award yet if Brazil win the WC. If it was an award for the actual best footballer on the planet then there’d only be one winner in the last 8 years.

This calender year Ronaldo has been ahead of Messi no question.

23 goals in 13 games & his general play been superb as well.

I agree it will be won in Brazil
    Dont see Neymar beating either tbh
    I dont agree with the last part i dont think Stephen Ward has been better in each of the last eight years.

irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree it will be won in Brazil
    Dont see Neymar beating either tbh
    I dont agree with the last part i dont think Stephen Ward has been better in each of the last eight years.

Well if Barca ever come up against Burnley he’ll be marking the second best player in the world so we could find out for sure then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Well neither Neymar, Ronaldo or Messi Will be lifting the WC. It Will be between Spain and Germany but they dont have any sexy marketable names so yeah probably between those 3 there for th balón dor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm very appreciative of being able to watch Messi and Ronaldo, two all-time greats in action. Growing up and watching clips of the goals by Pele, Best, Maradona (in his prime) I used to think how great it must have been to watch those moments as and when they happened. Similarly, football fans not yet born will feel the same way about moments like the Ronaldo goal we saw tonight. We should enjoy these guys because they're not getting any younger and probably only have a few years left to produce this exceptional standard.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    This calender year Ronaldo has been ahead of Messi no question.

23 goals in 13 games & his general play been superb as well.

Ronaldo is a terrific goalscorer, but there’s more to football than that. Messi’s general level of play this year has still been better than Ronaldo’s for me. To say there’s “no question” about it is going a little OTT. It’s very close between them and a good case can be made for either man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Zidane is doing wonders with Ronaldo at this stage of his career. Resting him before these knockout games is working

100% agree. Messi and Ronaldo have already started adapting their game to limit their apparent decline. They've become more effective but their skill level hasn't risen. If anything it has declined. Time with these two is getting precious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    First half takeaways: Shut up with that blasted drum.

Second half takeaways: What a man.

On a lower note, was I imagining it or could you hear monkey chants ~80th minute when Marcelo was taking a throw-in?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Second half takeaways: What a man.

On a lower note, was I imagining it or could you hear monkey chants ~80th minute when Marcelo was taking a throw-in?

UEFA didn't hear them. So it'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Ronaldo is done.

Doesn't do it in the big games Bill

The way Ronaldo has adapted his game has been wonderful to watch. His in game intelligence is very underrated, gets involved in far more one touch link up play outside the box now where he used to drive and shoot from everywhere in his twenties. He's also been carrying a French donkey up there with him for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

. Similarly, football fans not yet born will feel the same way about moments like the Ronaldo goal we saw tonight. We should enjoy these guys because they're not getting any younger and probably only have a few years left to produce this exceptional standard.

Difference is, every minute of nearly every game Messi and Ronnie have played in are available to watch in full.

It's not like the footage isn't there like with a lot of the footballers of yesteryear.

Well if Barca ever come up against Burnley he’ll be marking the second best player in the world so we could find out for sure then.

Sadly we shall never see the battle everyone wants
    Ward is to comfortable controlling the premier league and Messi La Liga :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement