Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

39 goals is pretty pretty astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It looks like an attitude issue.
    They keep putting in atrocious performances away from home in the knockout stages.
    When was the last time Barcelona lost a match?

Away against Espanyol I think in the Copa? Valverde's combination of Semedo and Roberto on the RW did not work at all. Roma absolutely bossed the entire game almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Roma deserved to win by more too.

Missed about 3 sitters.

Roma should have been down to ten men though, ridiculous decision by the ref not to send Fazio off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hugely complacent from Barca but delighted for Roma. Rome as a city have had a shocking record in this competition and attendances have been awful there in the league. May give them an injection of new vigour.

Gotta feel for Totti, probably THE go to 1 club man of my generation. Been there since 92, retired last season and they made it further than they ever did with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

irishman86 wrote: »
    Saying football is boring after that result :confused:

Results, Liverpool are not going to beat Madrid and neither are Roma or Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Dissapointed about City, but absolutely DELIGHTED to see Roma through.
    Fantastic!!!

Roma should have been down to ten men though, ridiculous decision by the ref not to send Fazio off.

Embarassing for UEFA they’ve decided not to use VAR in next season’s CL. Astonishing how its not a 2nd yellow for Fazio, even allowing for the fact his 1st was pretty dodgy.

Barca fans wondering when the 3rd leg is .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

People saying it's Madrid's CL to win. Ridiculous comment. Liverpool or Bayern could very easily beat them. Any of these 3 teams are capable of winning it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Madrid are not unbeatable.

They've been beaten by the likes of Betis, Girona and Espanyol this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Embarassing for UEFA they’ve decided not to use VAR in next season’s CL. Astonishing how its not a 2nd yellow for Fazio, even allowing for the fact his 1st was pretty dodgy.

Any football competition where VAR isn’t implemented (correctly) is a joke. It’s a joke that refs have such power. Everyone can see the issues as they happen but the men who count.

Have 10 refs like in American football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Observations tonight,

That was Romas final. They are going no further.

Man city embarrassing. Pep loves possession but to have 3 shots over 2 legs is shocking. Found out 3 times in a week. The emperor's new clothes..

This is Madrids title if they play anywhere near the level they have in the cl so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Champions league is a different beast

sheroman01 wrote: »
    People saying it's Madrid's CL to win. Ridiculous comment. Liverpool or Bayern could very easily beat them. Any of these 3 teams are capable of winning it out.
    I have a feeling about Liverpool and to be honest, I wouldn't begrudge them - even though I don't really like them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Observations tonight,

Man city embarrassing. Pep loves possession but to have 3 shots over 2 legs is shocking. Found out 3 times in a week. The emperor's new clothes..

This is Madrids title if they play anywhere near the level they have in the cl so far.

I've always thought that Guardiola (after his stint in Bayern) will never win the UCL with any other team except Barca .... and no doubt he will end up there for another stint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Difficult to see past Madrid. They're easily the best and most experienced side left in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Garzorico wrote: »
    Champions league is a different beast

And Spurs beat them this season in the Champions League

I know that but when they get to semis finals they play better. They also have been helped a lot in the Champions League by dodgy officiating which is another factor. Also teams seem to panic when they see that White shirt at the business end of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Madrid's Champions League now, how ****ing boring football has become
    Grand.
    Shall we propose that uefa hold a meeting of the executive to vote on to cancelling the tournament because someone on the internet reckons football is boring because (converse to the flippin theory) both results from games today were sensational, if not surprising .

How is roma and the pool getting through boring ?
    Before today nobody gave Roma a chance.
    Before both games nobody would say city would loose both legs pathetically.
    This is pure drama !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I know that but when they get to semis finals they play better. They also have been helped a lot in the Champions League by dodgy officiating which is another factor. Also teams seem to panic when they see that White shirt at the business end of things.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd love to get them in the Semi's.

Get them to Anfield and have a right go at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Evidently so are Roma. They'd be 20-1 shots against Real but they could beat Liverpool or Bayern in a final without anything mad to happen.

Alisson, Naingolan, Dzeko, etc. They're not muppets.

Grand.
    Shall we propose that uefa hold a meeting of the executive to vote on to cancelling the tournament because someone on the internet reckons football is boring because (converse to the flippin theory) both results from games today were sensational, if not surprising .

How is roma and the pool getting through boring ?
    Before today nobody gave Roma a chance.
    Before both games nobody would say city would loose both legs pathetically.
    This is pure drama !

Get real. I didn't say anything about cancelling a tournament. It was a great achievement by those teams and Maybe they'll prove me wrong which I'd love them to do.

Difficult to see past Madrid. They're easily the best and most experienced side left in the competition.

Yeah Bayern with Robben, Ribery and bunch of past CL winners and world cup winners are really struggling on the experience front.

Madrid's Champions League now, how ****ing boring football has become

6/4. Easy money for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Officer999

NIMAN wrote: »
    Observations tonight,

A lot of people still underestimating Roma.

Topped their group above Atletico and Chelsea.

Just knocked out a Barca team 3-0 that's undefeated in La Liga.

Still haven't conceded a goal at home this season in the CL (against the likes of Hazard, Griezmann, Messi).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

DacyZvGXkAEcKZL.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

When do they make the draw. They'll all want Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TheCitizen wrote: »

Friday, and then actual games in a couple of weeks.
    Tight for fans looking to travel , but I’m sure Roma and pool fans will not care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah Bayern with Robben, Ribery and bunch of past CL winners and world cup winners are really struggling on the experience front.

Jupp Heynckes, what does he know about the CL?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

martyos121 wrote: »
    The pundits will say nobody will want to draw Roma after that.

Of course they’ll be dead wrong, would love to get them. They’re brilliant but easily the 4th best team left.
    Yea this "nobody will want to draw <insert team name>" after a good result is really just bollocks.

If you're Real Madrid you don't care who you get.

If you're Bayern Munich you want Roma or Liverpool.

If you're Liverpool you want Roma.

If you're Roma you want Liverpool.

Doesn't matter how the teams got there, if you said at the start of the season that Roma were a potential CL semi final opponent then everyone would be happy to get them, that still remains the case. Same for Liverpool, a remarkable achievement to get to a semi final and a very potent front three but still a level below Bayern or Real as a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Since Pep last won the CL, the two teams he has subsequently managed have exited the competition on a combined aggregate scoreline of 26-13.

Pretty much sums up his allergy to pragmatism when required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Liverpool were the underdog as were Roma
    I consider that a pretty exciting quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The three goals Barcelona conceded were absolutely shocking.
    The first two were hoofs over the top and Dzeko outran Pique and Umtiti both times.
    Djeko has hardly any pace.

For the third goal Barcelona had no defender on the post from the corner. Would easily have been cleared if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I love Brian Kerr pronouncing Juan Jesus as Jaysus

Knockout football is always a bit of a crapshoot, too many people draw over the top conclusions. Leagues are generally a far better indicator of where a sides at given the sample of games is much more conducive to finding the actual best team.
    But because of this surprise winners are far more common than in leagues, which is what makes the champions league so exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Jaaaaaysus is playing for Roma according to Brian Kerr

ERG89 wrote: »
    I love Brian Kerr pronouncing Juan Jesus as Jaysus

Idiot, doesnt he know its Hayzus
    Gotta give him credit i suppose for trying

Liverpool were the underdog as were Roma
    I consider that a pretty exciting quarters

To be fair the Liverpool v city tie could have gone both ways when we Saw the match Up beforehand as we know that pool beat them already this year and klopp has a good record against Pep. Roma beating barca was a huge shock, i agree with you there.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Knockout football is always a bit of a crapshoot, too many people draw over the top conclusions. Leagues are generally a far better indicator of where a sides at given the sample of games is much more conducive to finding the actual best team.
    But because of this surprise winners are far more common than in leagues, which is what makes the champions league so exciting.
    Yea exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

TheCitizen wrote: »

Really? not conceded a goal at home. Played Barcelona, Chelsea, Athletico.

Messi, Hazzard, Greizman

i think the last 4 are all capable of beating each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Idiot, doesnt he know its Hayzus
    Gotta give him credit i suppose for trying

No, it’s Juan Jay-zoos. You pronounce the J in Brazil.

Allison is the best keeper in Europe right now for me.

Now i'm the idiot :( You win again Brian Kerr

Allison is the best keeper in Europe right now for me.

That gets said about every goalie these days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Same for Gabriel Jesus according to Ty not that Claude cared

https://twitter.com/neilsherwin/status/967959293965172736?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ERG89 wrote: »
    Same for Gabriel Jesus according to Ty not that Claude cared

https://twitter.com/neilsherwin/status/967959293965172736?s=20

I love how Ty is so sure that he’s right too. That show is great entertainment. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There's been no new winner of the EC/CL in the 21st century ffs, except Chelsea who are hardly paupers. The chances of a surprise winner are less than they ever were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

DacyZvGXkAEcKZL.jpg:large

Yeah, better to be at Liverpool enduring a (likely) 6th straight trophyless season rather than the la liga league and cup double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah, better to be at Liverpool enduring a (likely) 6th straight trophyless season rather than the la liga league and cup double.

that's like eating roadkill, sure it's food but the work's already done and it tastes like s**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can't Coutinho still win the UCL if Liverpool win it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement