Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

plain and simple,Messi wouldn’t have taken it and if he did he would have missed

Hail CR7

That's because he plays for Barca. Real got the peno tonight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doltanian wrote: »
    And then there is Messi, such a humble man despite his genius. He'd nearly kick the ball wide in the interest of fair play. I really hope Argentina win the World Cup this year for him alone.

Humble is the last description i'd give to Messi. Private yes, humble no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Essien wrote: »
    What's all this about Harry Kane? He keeps popping up in match threads...claiming goals apparently.

I was wondering what that running joke was alright!!

I'd say Harry will claim he made it up, the rascal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I was wondering what that running joke was alright!!

I'd say Harry will claim he made it up, the rascal!

I liked the John Terry celebration meme (initially). The Harry Kane one though is kind of lame imo and has been over saturated already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Vasquez is actually lucky that Banetia came through him like that, he waited on the ball and a better defender could have gotten around to nick that away from him.

Yeah Vasquez did not look like he would actually score it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I dunno maybe because he sent his team into the semi final in the CL after a dramatic finish

I think you don't get the joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Vasquez is actually lucky that Banetia came through him like that, he waited on the ball and a better defender could have gotten around to nick that away from him.

+1

Defender was never on the right side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

beya2009 wrote: »
    I love Messi but he rightly is getting some stick for his poor showing yesterday. Messi was also missing in both legs when barca were knocked out by juve last season so he's proves he's human sometimes lol As for Ronaldo...I cannot think of another player that consistently delivers on the big stages.

Sidney Crosby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Benatia should really have been sent out as well. It should have been a second yellow for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dunphy talking ****e eulegising about Ramos and what a great player he is.
    Didn't he famously call him a head banger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Juve defender was so far out of line with the rest of the back 4, he dropped so deep and caused all the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Benatia should really have been sent out as well. It should have been a second yellow for him.

I think the pen was enough punishment.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Yeah Vasquez did not look like he would actually score it.

Thought the same, Vasquez was praying for a defender to nail him
    Thankfully Benatia was delighted to do so

He did but to be fair he does actually revise his assessments on players overtime. Which I think is one of those rare occasions where I give him a positive remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dunphy changed his opinion on the Buffon card anyway.

They aren't mutually exclusive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The poor ref also forgot to send off Banetia. Gave the pen, stopped a goal scoring opportunity and was already on a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buffon may well have got there too if Vazquez had chested it .

• Advertisement

Dunphy is embarrassing himself after what he said earlier

Clear red card

Buffon all over him

I suspect the whole Juve team will get fines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Never mind the cheats, racists, thieving Russian ogliarchs, human rights violators, rapists et al, when one of the greatest players of all time is guilty of loving himself a bit too much

We can all be guilty of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness, Ramos is both.

Mushy wrote: »

I reckon there will be a few on here who may also, you would like to think so anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's not hate in here, it's just the love in for him here is a bit embarrassing.

It's weird, he had a few good seasons said he was a slave and left and is treated like a god. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He laid his hands on the refs back, no matter what you can’t lay a finger on the ref. Especially when you are screaming obscenities at him

Just realised your talking about Benatia oops :( lack of sleep something something something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He went through the back of a player to stop a clear goal scoring chance. A yellow could easily have been given, and should have been I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mushy wrote: »

To be fair he said he could have only given a yellow for the shouting at him but once he saw buffon touch the ref he clearly admitted the ref was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

astradave wrote: »
    He laid his hands on the refs back, no matter what you can’t lay a finger on the ref. Especially when you are screaming obscenities at him

He was talking about benetia getting a red (2nd yellow) for the foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Buffon hero to zero in his final CL outing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ref got those calls spot on even though I was disgusted at the time. Take a bow.

Ronaldo love him or hate him, that pen was out of this world considering the pressure. Buffon will always think what if but he wouldn’t have saved that if it’s any consolation.

Madrid will be a different animal with Ramos back too so I wouldn’t be wishing to draw them in SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He was talking about benetia getting a red (2nd yellow) for the foul.

Yeah I corrected myself.. :)

No pressure on penalty, game was a draw and a lot of football to be played had he missed. He when for the dramatic penalty and it came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Another yawnfest of a night in the predictable CL.

Brady '' end for Chiellini '' why would such a young player end after tonight.

• Advertisement

Wtf is dunphy ranting about

Roma are in the semis ffs

Buffon has an almost 50:50 penalty save rate in his career, who knows..................................

Dunphy is embarrassing himself after what he said earlier

Clear red card

Buffon all over him

I suspect the whole Juve team will get fines

Even though there's no excuse for a paid analyst to miss such an incident, it was implied that Dunphy didn't see Buffon getting physical until Brady pointed it out to him.

Dunphy then said 'oh, if he put his hands on the ref then he has to go'.

Not sure how Dunphy could have missed that first time around though.

Brady '' end for Chiellini '' why would such a young player end after tonight.

He is hardly "young"

34 at start of next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Juve defender was so far out of line with the rest of the back 4, he dropped so deep and caused all the problems

It was actually really poor from chellini and benatia. Chellini empties the centre of the box thinking the pass is going to go to the real player in front of him. Benatia is so far out of position he is actually outside the box and trying to run back in to save the day..hence the wrong side of the Vazquez and gives away the penalty. Sandro let's Ronaldo get in around goal side of him but we all know how good he is in the air but the centre backs are nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Reminds me a bit of the ref tonight

Cartman.jpg?fit=600%2C338&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Don't think I'll bother watching the CL anymore. It's pointless, Madrid have paid up front for the competition for the foreseeable future.
    They have a monopoly on European football which isn't ending any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Buffon hero to zero in his final CL outing

I think thats overstated. Nobody was saving that penalty, the red card made no material difference to the game so its not like he cost his team the game or anything.

He is hardly "young"

Although it is Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Allegri got out coached by Zidane in the last 20 minutes.
    Zidane brought on all his subs while Juve still had 2 subs left before the penalty.
    Juve were looking really tired for that last 20 minutes. Allegri really should have changed something.

He is hardly "young"

I guess Milner and Ronaldo should retire in two weeks also. Plus he's only 33, and in Italian league players play till late 30's .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Dunphy has been lamenting the death of Italian football and football in general for the last 10 yrs - "Football is dying Bill/Darragh! It's on its knees, it's barren!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I don't suppose Juventus can complain about Ramos coming down pitchside before the end of the game?

Touchline Suspension: A Touchline Suspension is a ban from any immediate contact with players, club officials and match officials participating in a match for the duration of the match. A Touchline Suspension may be imposed on a player and an official. A Touchline Suspension prohibits an individual from:
    Attending the dugouts and technical areas before, during and after the match.
    Straw . . . . clutching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Actually missed the joke, hold my hands up :P

Hard to see through that red mist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

He went through the back of a player to stop a clear goal scoring chance. A yellow could easily have been given, and should have been I think.

I think it looks worse in real time.
    It's probably a penalty but he didn't make much contact with the player.
    He actually did a decent job of getting around the side at the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement