Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I guess Milner and Ronaldo should retire in two weeks also. Plus he's only 33, and in Italian league players play till late 30's .

I never said he should retire. I just corrected your point that he a "young player". He isn't.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Although it is Italy

They have same age calculations in Italy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

They have a monopoly on European football which isn't ending any time soon.

Agreed, they're unbelievable in Europe. The team of the past 5 years have been the greatest CL team of the modern era.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I guess Milner and Ronaldo should retire in two weeks also. Plus he's only 33, and in Italian league players play till late 30's .

More important if a player looks after himself like those 3. Whereas someone who didn't like Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

jacool wrote: »
    I don't suppose Juventus can complain about Ramos coming down pitchside before the end of the game?

Touchline Suspension: A Touchline Suspension is a ban from any immediate contact with players, club officials and match officials participating in a match for the duration of the match. A Touchline Suspension may be imposed on a player and an official. A Touchline Suspension prohibits an individual from:
    Attending the dugouts and technical areas before, during and after the match.
    Straw . . . . clutching

Even if they could, it won't change the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Never fails to be dramatic, unless there is a Germany side involved. Hope Liverpool get Roma or Real

Don't think I'll bother watching the CL anymore. It's pointless, Madrid have paid up front for the competition for the foreseeable future.
    They have a monopoly on European football which isn't ending any time soon.

nice to have you back AIG !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

vetinari wrote: »
    Allegri got out coached by Zidane in the last 20 minutes.
    Zidane brought on all his subs while Juve still had 2 subs left before the penalty.
    Juve were looking really tired for that last 20 minutes. Allegri really should have changed something.

He switched to a 4-5-1 and clearly wanted his side to hold out to Extra time. When he'd likely have had the advantage of bringing on two fresh players.

Allegri definitely got the better of Zidane tonight. Real's structure was compromised on many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would love to see Liverpool win, knocking out Real Madrid on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Buffon red,correct
    RM pen,corect
    Rons pen,superb
    Ref,balls of steel at the end
    Ronnie,should have being booked 2/3/4 times for throwing himself to the ground,probably not really diving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

irishman86 wrote: »
    Thats a defo penalty, no idea what some are talking about
    The greatest player comes up with the goods once again
    Was a penalty but he’s not the greatest player, bud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They have same age calculations in Italy :D

Tell that to every Italian ive ever met
    They dont use the term French Stallion :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would love to see Liverpool win, knocking out Real Madrid on the way

I’m not a Liverpool fan by any means but if they draw Real I’ll be rooting for them. Same goes for the other two that are left in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Nobody was saving that penalty,

What's to say with a lot less delay and buffoon in goal, the peno isn't different?

We'll never know.........

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Hard to see through that red mist ;)

Oooo another 1up for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I’m not a Liverpool fan by any means but if they draw Real I’ll be rooting for them. Same goes for the other two that are left in the competition.

Liverpool or Bayern will do a job on Madrid. They're there for the taking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Even though there's no excuse for a paid analyst to miss such an incident, it was implied that Dunphy didn't see Buffon getting physical until Brady pointed it out to him.

Dunphy then said 'oh, if he put his hands on the ref then he has to go'.

Not sure how Dunphy could have missed that first time around though.

It's because he makes his mind up before the game and decides to stick to it almost regardless of what the case is. Had that been a keeper he does not like, he would have been absolutely all over it from the moment it happened. This is one of the reasons he is not worth watching in my opinion.

I think thats overstated. Nobody was saving that penalty, the red card made no material difference to the game so its not like he cost his team the game or anything.
    If he was in goal facing Ronaldo it may have been different. Ronaldo doesn’t always score penalties. All the delay and messing about gave him more time to compose himself. Nah Buffon should’ve kept the head and faced the penalty kick.

ERG89 wrote: »
    More important if a player looks after himself like those 3. Whereas someone who didn't like Rooney

Rooney is playing full seasons since he was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Disappointing to see Real advance with an as bad as if not worse performance at home than Barca managed away.

The fact that people are saying Ronaldo was their best player tonight speaks volumes of their overall performance.

Up to the decent header down and peno at the end I can't recall anything noteworthy other than a clearance and a few dives. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Viva Ronaldo,Viva Ronaldo :) Amazing penalty.Amazing player.Amazing man.The GOAT has scored in all-but-one Champions League game since last season's quarter-finals.Just amazing.He's so,so unbelievable cool under pressure. I'd expect nothing else from the GOAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I hope Liverpool win it, never thought I'd say that, either them or Roma.

They also walked past PSG and thrashed Juve in Turin.............

But sure lets forget about that.

Awful night for them but they will have learnt a lot from it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Liverpool should be able to handle Real over two legs. Not sure about a one off game though. Real are masters at pulling a performance out of the bag in a CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Rezident wrote: »
    A penaldo for madrid at home? It's always only a matter of time.

Yup their home form is immense they’re just ripping up he league.

lol

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Viva Ronaldo,Viva Ronaldo :) Amazing penalty.Amazing player.Amazing man.The GOAT has scored in all-but-one Champions League game since last season's quarter-finals.Just amazing.He's so,so unbelievable cool under pressure. I'd expect nothing else from the GOAT.

school in the morning. Get some zzzzzzzzzzz s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Look at their league position though, it shows they are there for the taking. On a going day they could hammer anyone but that's not a given judging them on this season.

I think so too. Was Ramos suspended or injured? They looked very beatable tonight and Ronaldo is only a box player now. Last night everyone was saying Real will be home and hosed because Barca went out but they looked fragile tonight. Bayern Munich my tip at this stage. Would be happy with either them or Liverpool or Roma to win it out.

You've been doubling down for 3 years now against madrid if this was roulette you'd be long broke :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brillant penalty from Ronaldo.

But the love he gets from some Man Utd posters in here is bizarre.
    He has left the club winning everything while Man Utd struggle lol.

I have also found a less similar issue with some Liverpool fans on social media about Suarez strange too incase that is brought up.

• Advertisement

What's to say with a lot less delay and buffoon in goal, the peno isn't different?

We'll never know.........

he said, THAT pen, not an imaginary one that didn’t happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Piss off with your logic
    Jeez :mad:

MD1990 wrote: »

I have also found a less similar issue with some Liverpool fans on social media about Suarez strange too incase that is brought up.

Won it all too with United. I guess it’s just how highly he speaks of his time in manchester and the influence SAF has on him.

Class act really

don’t particularly think there is anything wrong in following a player that was adored when he was at the club and hoping they do well when they move on.

Course we could all be bitter that he left, but i’d rather see the positives in life

Aha 'less similar with Suarez', great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking at the highlights last night I'm grateful Bryan Kerr didn't have a go at pronouncing Schick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

as a Liverpool fan I have a lot of love for Ronaldo, as a footballer he's fantastic, as a person he's a person. Think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah, best mate is the same way, he's a pool fan. He can only relate everything back to his own club. I was talking to him recently about serie a and la liga and all he did was ask about ex Liverpool players.

he said, THAT pen, not an imaginary one that didn’t happen

And I made a different point...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Some are just a big bunch of kids*, obviously. As a Pool fan I couldn't give a shiny ****e what Suarez gets up to.

* The Hitman's just trolling though, obviously.

• Advertisement

You've been doubling down for 3 years now against madrid if this was roulette you'd be long broke :P

didn’t he go on a crusade betting Ronaldo was a fraud and wouldn’t score in the final against juve. not a bad return against them -4 goals in 3 champs league games and 2 assists

Won it all too with United. I guess it’s just how highly he speaks of his time in manchester and the influence SAF has on him.

Class act really
    Yeah he deserves respect & praise from every football fan. Just some of it is ott.

That said Ronaldo did stay one final season & nearly won another CL.

While Coutinho wouldn't stay another 4 months & Klopp basically said he wouldn't play anymore. It's why I have little respect for Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Vasquez made the most of what little contact there was but its the type of decision that will always go against you away from home. Damage was done allowing Kroos time in midfield to get his head up. Matuidi was the only Juve player who seemed to still have legs in the final minutes.

Buffons red card didn't matter a jot.

corny wrote: »
    Vasquez made the most of what little contact there was but its the type of decision that will always go against you away from home. Damage was done allowing Kroos time in midfield to get his head up. Matuidi was the only Juve player who seemed to still have legs in the final minutes.

Buffons red card didn't matter a jot

Not exactly a given.

Buffon has 50:50 penalty record and although Ronaldo was odds on to score, he has missed a few important ones in his time

Actually, I never said Madrid wouldn't win it last year. I said they'd be there or there abouts, but expected Juve to win outright. I said Ronaldo wouldn't score, but I wasn't to know the ref would rape Bayern, having to press with 10 men and offside goals etc.

here we go again............

• Advertisement

The mighty PSG of course. Thrashed Juve in Turin? They got an early goal and Juve were on top after until a goal out of nowhere turned the game and things got away from them. But for this whole game, and for a large part of the first game, Juve exposed Madrid again and again. Madrid are there for the taking, their domestic form isn't an anomaly. Of course, with their 12th man, the ref, helping them along, I'd expect Madrid to get a few more fortuitous calls at pivotal moments in games

Be interesting what happens Bale in the summer.

Not sure Man Utd will want him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He can't be as good as Messi. :D

Messi was quare anonymous last night eh? Shut down when it counted.

The mighty PSG of course. Thrashed Juve in Turin? They got an early goal and Juve were on top after until a goal out of nowhere turned the game and things got away from them. But for this whole game, and for a large part of the first game, Juve exposed Madrid again and again. Madrid are there for the taking, their domestic form isn't an anomaly

Yes, they thrashed Juventus in Turin. There is always a but..........but............but still with you!!

Yes, they thrashed Juventus in Turin. There is always a but..........but............but still with you!!

Yes I know that happened, I'm not disputing the result, I'm gauging where Madrid are at, so the context of how the game panned out is relevant. Particularly when you see what happened tonight, and their domestic form. They are there for the taking, now whether anyone puts them to the sword, or the ref swoops in to save them is another matter entirely

• Advertisement
Advertisement