Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes I know that happened, I'm not disputing the result, I'm gauging where Madrid are at, so the context of how the game panned out is relevant. Particularly when you see what happened tonight. They are there for the taking, now whether anyone puts them to the sword, or the ref swoops in to save them is another matter entirely

Last year was a disgrace especially against Munich, but that was a pen tonight in fairness. Madrid are an incredible team but the result tonight does show they are not as invincible as we thought in the CL although i still think they will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yes I know that happened, I'm not disputing the result, I'm gauging where Madrid are at, so the context of how the game panned out is relevant. Particularly when you see what happened tonight. They are there for the taking, now whether anyone puts them to the sword, or the ref swoops in to save them is another matter entirely

You can say "they are there for the taking" about all teams when two competitive sides compete against eachother. Nit pick holes in their armoury. It is a pointless statement, especially at this level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Bah, thought Juve would do it facing the last five minutes. Disappointing after they played their hearts out but no question it was the correct decision.

Set to be a cracking round of semis no matter what way they’re drawn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well that was quite an entertaining mid-week of footy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You can say "they are there for the taking" about all teams. It is a pointless statement, especially at this level

You could say anything about any team, anywhere, at any time. It' a discussion board. If you don't agree that Madrid are not a particularly strong team, then great for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The big four nations are all represented in the CL/European Cup SF stage for the first time since 1980/81, dunno who won it that year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The big four nations are all represented in the CL/European Cup SF stage for the first time since 1980/81, dunno who won it that year

Repeat of that 81 final and result would be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Had to google it but the answer is ...
    LIVERPOOL

cjmc wrote: »
    Had to google it but the answer is ...
    LIVERPOOL

It is there in my signature you know the dates under the stars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not exactly a given.

Buffon has 50:50 penalty record and although Ronaldo was odds on to score, he has missed a few important ones in his time

Ronaldo puts it in the top corner no matter who's in goal and no keeper gets to it.

Not for one second do i believe Ronaldo alters his shot selection or execution because Buffon stays in goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What's to say with a lot less delay and buffoon in goal, the peno isn't different?

We'll never know.........

Who knows, maybe he wouldn't place it perfectly some other time. (Though it is funny to see 3/4 minutes of delay and Juventus players right in his face is now described as a benefit to a penalty taker).

The point I was responding to though was about Buffon and going from hero to zero. He didn't, not in the sense of a Zidane style sending off costing his team the victory zero. Nobody will blame him, he didn't give the penalty away and he would not have been expected to save it anyway.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    But the love he gets from some Man Utd posters in here is bizarre.
    He has left the club winning everything while Man Utd struggle lol.

He fired the club to the Champions league, 3 PL titles, the FA cup, two league cups, the Fifa world club cup, and is one of only 4 Manchester United players to win the Ballon D'or when at the club.

How the hell could he not be considered a United legend? Name me a player anywhere with that sort of contribution who is not loved by the club they did it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

As much as I dislike the red card decision, gotta say it was excellent refereeing by Michael Oliver.
    Really admirable composure in such a high pressure situation.
    Could very easily have folded and I doubt much would have been made of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I have never turned around my support so quickly ...

absolutely DISGUSTED !!!

Was up for Madrid as I think they are the only ones that can beat Liverpool ... but after that joke of a penalty and the red card for Buffon - the poor guy ... his last chance at winning this ... c*nt of a referee ..

Juventus ROBBED !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

English refs get a lot of stick but Oliver got it all correct at the end. It was a moment that of course was very emotional for Juventus after a great comeback, but poor defending meant Benatia had to try and make up for his really poor positioning. Juventus should have kept playing and kept the pressure on, keep putting balls into Mandzukic who was very threatening in the air without Ramos there. Instead they seemed to be too elated at getting level and tried to protect it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who knows, maybe he wouldn't place it perfectly some other time. (Though it is funny to see 3/4 minutes of delay and Juventus players right in his face is now described as a benefit to a penalty taker).

Didn't mean it as an advantage to the taker , just that the peno taken a few mins earlier against a different keeper is a different peno and might go differently. But then again he may have taken it exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Liverpool or Bayern will do a job on Madrid. They're there for the taking

If I were to put any money down against them any time I heard something like that about Zidane's Real, I wouldn't have a penny to my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Last week I was saying all the ties were dead while on paper that was true I never in a million years thought the two Spanish power clubs would come close to getting knocked out. Football can be mad sometimes.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    If he was in goal facing Ronaldo it may have been different. Ronaldo doesn’t always score penalties. All the delay and messing about gave him more time to compose himself. Nah Buffon should’ve kept the head and faced the penalty kick.

They sledged him for a solid three minutes prior to him actually taking the spot kick. Juve fans whistling, real fans trying to drown them out which made it louder still and all that madness going on with Buffon in the background. He composed himself in the time it takes to take a deep breath and drilled a totally unsaveable penalty into the top corner. Buffon or not, that's never getting stopped

Ramos expected to face further punishment from UEFA for standing in the tunnel at the end of the match. Was told it was grand to do so. He's expected to miss the first leg of the semi finals now.

2 of the three possible ties for Liverpool you'd have to fancy them now, Real are a bit of a shambles defensively without Ramos as tonight showed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Never been a fan of Michael Oliver and I so wanted him to be wrong on the penalty decision but everything he did was right imo.

Ronaldo's header down which created the situation was brilliant and so was his penalty.

Like others the moment Buffon got the red it reminded me of Zidane in the World Cup. The similarities are that both are all time greats and not the types to come to your attention like they did in that one moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

spiralism wrote: »
    They sledged him for a solid three minutes prior to him actually taking the spot kick. Juve fans whistling, real fans trying to drown them out which made it louder still and all that madness going on with Buffon in the background. He composed himself in the time it takes to take a deep breath and drilled a totally unsaveable penalty into the top corner. Buffon or not, that's never getting stopped
    The sledging probably focused his mind even more. Best way to answer that was to stick it in the net which is what he did. He had the ball in his hands, them sledging him was showing their fear and gave him more confidence if anything.

Juve lost it. The decision was marginal but correct and their ott reaction all worked in Real's favour.

After all their hard work they threw the towel in in the end even though the penalty still had to be converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in the moment last night, i was annoyed that Real got that penalty. unfortunately, getting a penalty in the very last minute in order to win the tie plays into every conspiracy theory that Real are given favourable decisions more often than others.

I still don't think it was a stonewall penalty, and I actually think Vazquez was tremendously clever. I don't know if he meant it because he knew that Benatia was behind him, but instead of running towards the knockdown, he stops, allowing contact.

i don't think Benatia actually went through him. He tried to wrap his leg around Vazquez to get the ball, barely touched it, and obviously nudged the man. it was a probably a foul, but it was soft, and I can understand anger at that being a penalty that decided such a momentous tie. It would be tough to take.

Buffon's reaction, and other players, as well as Buffon's comments afterwards were beneath him. not impressed.

Oliver didn't do a lot wrong on reflection. it's very difficult for him not to give that penalty from where he is.

And a special mention for Ronaldo. big game moment. the moment he saw Kroos on the ball, he peeled onto Sandro, knewing he had the beating of him in the air, won the header, and instead of going for goal, headed it back into the danger zone. perfect. then the penalty was unstoppable.

the semis are going to be epic. every team has vulnerabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SlickRic wrote: »

I still don't think it was a stonewall penalty, and I actually think Vazquez was tremendously clever. I don't know if he meant it because he knew that Benatia was behind him, but instead of running towards the knockdown, he stops, allowing contact.

i don't think Benatia actually went through him. He tried to wrap his leg around Vazquez to get the ball, barely touched it, and obviously nudged the man. it was a probably a foul, but it was soft, and I can understand anger at that being a penalty that decided such a momentous tie. It would be tough to take.

You left out the initial contact, and outstretched hand/arm into the back of Vazquez from Benatia.

Its not very clear on the TV pics but if you watch it in slo-mo, you'll see it. I think it was this contact that Vazquez felt first and started to go down, so when the defender eventually moved in with his body and leg, the attacker looked like he was going down early.

It was a pen all day long. I have yet to hear anyone say it wasn't, so there is no conspiracy theory to answer. If it had happened in the middle of the field in the 10th minute it was a foul too, so it doesn't matter that it was injury time and cruel on Juve, a penalty is a penalty and the ref got it right.

He also was left with no choice but to red card Buffon. His behaviour and shouting wildly into the face of the ref was unacceptable. He should have known better and I am sure today he knows he did the wrong thing and was rightly sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Buffon: " Oliver has a bag of rubbish for a heart"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It was a very clear cut pen, disliking Madrid doesn't change that. Personally had the feeling Vasquez had bottled it too, brainless from Benatia.

• Advertisement

Translation : the rules shouldn't apply to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Full qUote

https://twitter.com/kappilinho/status/984185945036599299?s=21

Also

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/984186212247330817?s=21

I love Buffon but I think he has let himself down with those comments..

Also someone touched on the initial push in the back from Benatia, here’s a video of it up close and slowed down. Absolute stupid decision by Benatia, also looks in it that he missed the ball

https://twitter.com/real_shir/status/984189072200609793?s=21

The hands in the back are what done it as the actual challenge kicking the ball was fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

At this stage it's Heckynes' Bayern for me. They've just rolled over most teams since he took charge again and its definitely his last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Michael Oliver got everything right. It's sad for Buffon to go out like that and all, but you can't change the rules of the game just because it would make a nicer story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The hands in the back are what done it as the actual challenge kicking the ball was fair!

I don’t agree, looking at the video I posted above, the ball only moves in the direction that it came off from the chest, Benatia doesn’t seem to make contact with the ball, looks like 2 fouls in one move there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What time is the draw tomorrow. Excited! :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What time is the draw tomorrow. Excited! :)

12 CET or 11am our time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

astradave wrote: »

Also someone touched on the initial push in the back from Benatia, here’s a video of it up close and slowed down. Absolute stupid decision by Benatia, also looks in it that he missed the ball

https://twitter.com/real_shir/status/984189072200609793?s=21

Benatia also looks about 10 foot tall in that clip, so not surprised he knocked Vasquez over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, any team that beats both Real Madrid and Bayern Munich deserves to be worthy champions. Can't see them being drawn together tomorrow. I would prefer a Liverpool - Roma semi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Penalty or not.... meh.

Alex Sandro ****ed up by being 2 meters behind the last man giving Ronaldo just enough space and time to get to head that ball down.

2c85f968bc9f786d264b120c2fcc90c0.png

If he is at the line with the rest of his defence, Ronaldo would either be off side or too late to head that ball the way he did.

Who was offering €70 million again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Michael Oliver got everything right. It's sad for Buffon to go out like that and all, but you can't change the rules of the game just because it would make a nicer story.
    Actually Oliver didn't get everything right. Benatia was on a yellow so should have been sent off. The red should have went to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

AdamD wrote: »
    It was a very clear cut pen, disliking Madrid doesn't change that. Personally had the feeling Vasquez had bottled it too, brainless from Benatia.

Fvck Juve to be honest.
    They lost this last week, not last night. They were in the game when they conceded the second goal. They then lost the heads and gave up, including Dybala getting sent off.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Actually Oliver didn't get everything right. Benatia was on a yellow so should have been sent off. The red should have went to him.

It wouldn't have been an either /or though, I doubt Buffon would have acted any better had benetia been sent off. It would have just meant Juve down to 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I didn't get to see the game and kept hearing last night how Juve were robbed and everything was rigged... then I saw the penalty decision. How is that being robbed? Am I missing some context here or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If Heynckes' Bayern win this competition, I'll laugh and laugh and laugh (unless it's Liverpool they beat in the final).

it would be quite the sad indictment of Pep in Champions League, without Messi.

^^^^

Enjoy:

fc94083189963a28f773132f275fe5e3.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

spiralism wrote: »
    Ramos expected to face further punishment from UEFA for standing in the tunnel at the end of the match. Was told it was grand to do so. He's expected to miss the first leg of the semi finals now.

2 of the three possible ties for Liverpool you'd have to fancy them now, Real are a bit of a shambles defensively without Ramos as tonight showed.

Lol just no
    Faves against Roma but the other two they are under dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thought it was a clear penalty myself, baffled that Vasquez was given so much space in the box though.

Sad way for it to end given how Juve had played, but still the right decision I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Billy86 wrote: »
    I didn't get to see the game and kept hearing last night how Juve were robbed and everything was rigged... then I saw the penalty decision. How is that being robbed? Am I missing some context here or something?

Yeah you are totally missing the context. Juventus put on a miraculous performance to tie the match on aggregate, and giving Buffon the chance to continue his dream quest of winning the one medal that has evaded him in his soon to be over career.

Heartless Micheal Oliver was a disgrace by a) putting sentiment and emotion aside and entirely correctly applying the rules of the game in awarding the penalty and b) putting sentiment and emotion aside and calmly giving Buffon a red card which was entirely deserved on the face if it and indeed really should be resulting in a ban or fine.

Disappointing but correct end to the game. I wonder when things calm down will Buffon reassess his behaviour and post match comments.

Passion is great but not this way - lost some respect for him

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Yeah you are totally missing the context. Juventus put on a miraculous performance to tie the match on aggregate, and giving Buffon the chance to continue his dream quest of winning the one medal that has evaded him in his soon to be over career.

Personally I'm a little bored of the extended farewell tour he has been on. Feels like 2 years now I have been hearing about how he is a legend and how everybody wants him to win another trophy before he retires. It was talked about constantly at Euro 2016, it was again the xfactor style emotional story surrounding last years CL final, its still the narrative today.

He is a world cup winner and has about 10 league titles for gods sake, he has done alright for his career, I don't need to keep hearing people constantly profess their love for him. Its as old as he is at this stage.

Screw the narrative, he laid hands on the ref, he had to walk and its nobodies fault but his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I love Buffon, I think he's an absolute legend and the best Goalkeeper of all time, but he's way off the mark with those comments. I forgive him somewhat the berating of the ref and the manhandling in the heat of the moment - it must have been a hugely emotional moment and I can believe that in the moment he felt it was not a pen, or at best a soft pen.

But with the benefit of some time to calm down and watch the incident again and make an honest unbiased judgement, his comments are very poor form and not what I'd expect from someone I have always seen as a great pro.

It's pretty close to a stonewall penalty and there's not much room for debate. I think 9 out of 10 refs give a pen there.

The only error Oliver made in fact was not sending off Benatia, as you have to say that's a second yellow.

I say all this as someone who strongly dislikes Madrid and was rooting for Juve.
    In the moment I felt it may have been soft, it's the last minute in the Bernabeu, so I can understand the Juve players' reactions and their suspicions that they had been robbed.

But the truth is is that is was definitely a pen, I don't even think Vasquez bought it. I think he waits for the ball to come to him so he can cushion it and strike - running towards it wouldn't have made sense as it was at an awkward height.

I hope Buffon comes out with an apology when he's had a bit longer to calm down

Screw the narrative, he laid hands on the ref, he had to walk and its nobodies fault but his own.

I dont think anybody is disputing whether he should of been sent off or not though

Can see that red card being scratched of his record.
    Wasnt given for comments but for "touching" the referee.
    Which Buffon didnt do but Douglas Costa.

https://twitter.com/chrismd10/status/984316325676929025

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I dont think anybody is disputing whether he should of been sent off or not though

Some are, both here and on other sites.
    SENT OFF BUFFON ??
    WHAT AN IDIOT, YOU DON'T SEND OFF A LEGEND
    inforfun wrote: »
    Can see that red card being scratched of his record.
    But it was more the narrative that I was addressing, that Buffon is the legend and its very sad and not the way things should end etc etc.
    Lackey wrote: »
    You'd think someone who watches football would understand emotion taking over.
    Buffon is a gent and a legend.
    I'm just bored of it and think he should be treated exactly the same as any other player.

Advertisement