Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Its good when they bother going but it's more than half empty for most games.

Its 70,000. Of course its going to be half empty for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That's Liverpool in the final. They'll make easy work of Roma. Real will have too much for Bayern,again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

NIMAN wrote: »

I had a great time last season at Inter game against Lazio
    It a great stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Super draw for LFC.

Reckon they would have a much better shot of beating Real or Bayern over 90 minutes than over two legs.

Roma wont be a push over but its hard to see past LFC for that one.

BM and RM is the intriguing tie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Bret Hart wrote: »
    That's Liverpool in the final. They'll make easy work of Roma. Real will have too much for Bayern,again.

Ya just like Messi and co did
    Christ the delusions among premier league fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bayern v Real Madrid
    Bayern wins 11
    Real Madrid 11
    Draws 2

1975/76 European Cup semi-finals
    Real Madrid 1-1 Bayern
    Bayern 2-0 Real Madrid
    Bayern win 3-1 on aggregate

1986/87 European Cup semi-finals
    Bayern 4-1 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern
    Bayern win 4-2 on aggregate

1999/2000 UEFA Champions League second group stage
    Real Madrid 2-4 Bayern
    Bayern 4-1 Real Madrid

1999/2000 UEFA Champions League semi-finals
    Real Madrid 2-0 Bayern
    Bayern 2-1 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid win 3-2 on aggregate

2000/01 UEFA Champions League semi-finals
    Real Madrid 0-1 Bayern
    Bayern 2-1 Real Madrid
    Bayern win 3-1 on aggregate

2001/02 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals
    Bayern 2-1 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 2-0 Bayern
    Real Madrid win 3-2 on aggregate

2003/04 UEFA Champions League round of 16
    Bayern 1-1 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern
    Real Madrid win 2-1 on aggregate

2006/07 UEFA Champions League round of 16
    Real Madrid 3-2 Bayern
    Bayern 2-1 Real Madrid
    Aggregate 4-4; Bayern win on away goals

2011/12 UEFA Champions League semi-finals
    Bayern 2-1 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 2-1 Bayern aet
    Aggregate 3-3; Bayern win 3-1 on penalties

2013/14 UEFA Champions League semi-finals
    Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern
    Bayern 0-4 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid win 5-0 on aggregate

2016/17 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals
    Bayern 1-2 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 4-2 Bayern aet
    Real Madrid win 6-3 on aggregate

1987/88 European Cup quarter-finals
    Bayern 3-2 Real Madrid
    Real Madrid 2-0 Bayern
    Real Madrid win 4-3 on aggregate

Liverpool v Roma
    Liverpool wins 2
    Roma wins 1
    Draws 2

1983/84 European Cup final (Rome)
    Roma 1-1 Liverpool (aet; Liverpool win 4-2 on penalties)

2000/01 UEFA Cup fourth round
    Roma 0-2 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0-1 Roma
    Liverpool win 2-1 on aggregate

2001/02 UEFA Champions League second group stage
    Roma 0-0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 2-0 Roma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It would be unreal if James scores the winner to send Munich through can't see It happening though:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Why of course? Serie A used to fill their stadiums. It's the capital city and the main sport in the country, averaging a little over 30,000 fans a game for Roma is shocking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I actually think Pool might find it difficult to break Roma down, Roma wont leave any space in behind the way City do.. they will need an early goal, could see a 0-0 or 1-0 pool in the first leg anyways. Roma have been great at home this season in Europe so it could be a great tie, but frustrating one for Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

gustafo wrote: »
    what are the dates need to go look for flights

April 25 - April 26

• Advertisement

Roma have yet to concede at goal at home in this years Champions League, those saying it is a bye for Liverpool need to have a look at the results from the comp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Would have any team to get to the final, after the weeks results wev'e had. Wouldnt count Roma out of this yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Its good when they bother going but it's more than half empty for most games.

Juve aside, no team in Italy sells out their stadium week in week out.

This is due to a number of factors such as regular fans being treated like criminals and hooligans wielding too much power. Regular folks are worried about going week in and out for fear of getting the crack of a baton or getting knifed. There's often other things at play as well such as poor or overly large grounds and dodgy stewarding. It's not a poor support issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Happy with that draw.

I think Roma will be too.

I think we win but it'll be close.

Looking forward to it.

Roma have yet to concede at goal at home in this years Champions League, those saying it is a bye for Liverpool need to have a look at the results from the comp

Most of the people saying that think FIFA 18 is real football and that football started in 1992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

spiralism wrote: »
    Juve aside, no team in Italy sells out their stadium week in week out.

This is due to a number of factors such as regular fans being treated like criminals and hooligans wielding too much power. Regular folks are worried about going week in and out for fear of getting the crack of a baton or getting knifed. There's often other things at play as well such as poor or overly large grounds and dodgy stewarding. It's not a poor support issue.

It's completely a poor support issue. I semi regularly attend Milan games and the local fan base have lost interest in their local league, the match fixing scandals have had the biggest impact on this and fans don't trust the integrity of the league and once that goes it's difficult to claw back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

They've not won a away game in the competition this year. Liverpool will have the job completed after the 1st leg,just as they did in the two previous rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Better for Liverpool to be away in the 2nd leg. I always think the 'away goals' rule favours being at home first. If the game is 0-0 in both games and goes to extra time does the away goals rule still apply?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Better for Liverpool to be away in the 2nd leg. I always think the 'away goals' rule favours being at home first. If the game is 0-0 in both games and goes to extra time does the away goals rule still apply?
    Yes. Away goals count in extra time. Doesn't matter if it's 0-0 in both games or 1-1 or 2-2 or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Bret Hart wrote: »
    They've not won a away game in the competition this year. Liverpool will have the job completed after the 1st leg,just as they did in the two previous rounds.

Ain't that what Barcelona thought. I am glad Kloop is the manager of Liverpool then some here and is giving it the serious concern it deserves. It is the semi final no easy gamez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm sure I've seen a stat that indicated 70% of the teams playing the second leg at home go through. Certainly the case with 3 of the 4 semi finalists and it's not like City didn't have the opportunity against us.
    I actually can see the advantage of playing the home tie first but statistically you're better off being at home for the second leg.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I assume the people saying they expect Roma to be a formality for liverpool arent liverpool supporters.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen a stat that indicated 70% of the teams playing the second leg at home go through. Certainly the case with 3 of the 4 semi finalists and it's not like City didn't have the opportunity against us.
    I actually can see the advantage of playing the home tie first but statistically you're better off being at home for the second leg.
    I don't think it makes much difference to teams who play the way Liverpool do. We pretty much have one way of playing, home or away.

Being at home second means you can go away in the first leg and just try not to get beat. Play on the break, park the bus or whatever. Then win the game in the second leg.

Liverpool aren't very good at this, our game plan is high press, high tempo football and it's what we're good at.

Even if we were away to Roma first I suspect we'd play our usual way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I assume the people saying they expect Roma to be a formality for liverpool arent liverpool supporters.

Yes it's a reverse psychology kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Liverpool fans delighted in getting Roma, and Roma fans delighted with getting Liverpool. Roma will now believe they've a real chance to extend the dream. Can't believe their luck, nothing to lose while Liverpool are expected to win. It will be an interesting game.

A far more pragmatic and efficient Bayern, will do Madrid, unless more offside goals are allowed, and Beyern get 4 or 5 men sent off for nothing. But that's a real possibility when playing Real. In nearly every game where a team has had the measure of Real, a ref's call, whether right or wrong, has turned the game back in Real's favour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A far more pragmatic and efficient Bayern, will do Madrid
    Anyone else just have a flashback to about this time last year? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Liverpool fans delighted in getting Roma, and Roma fans delighted with getting Liverpool. Roma will now believe they've a real chance to extend the dream. Can't believe their luck, nothing to lose while Liverpool are expected to win. It will be an interesting game.

A far more pragmatic and efficient Bayern, will do Madrid, unless more offside goals are allowed, and Beyern get 4 or 5 men sent off for nothing. But that's a real possibility when playing Real. In nearly every game where a team has had the measure of Real, a ref's call, whether right or wrong, has turned the game back in Real's favour

Want to give away some more money on Ronaldo not scoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Billy86 wrote: »

When Jupp Heynckes wasn't in charge....and I do think Real are weaker this year. Just look at Wednesday.

It will be between Juventus, Monaco and Atletico imo, with Juventus winning outright. Napoli, Barca, Bayern, Man City, PSG and Dortmund will all be done by a good defensive counter attacking team. Arsenal, Porto, Benfica, Sevilla, Leicester and Bayer aren't good enough. Madrid may cause Juve, Atletico and Monaco trouble in a one legged final as they play in a more direct and pragmatic fashion than your Barca's or Bayern's but would also be undone over 2 legs imo and Juve seem to hold the indian sign over them

Yes, I remember last year, when I nearly called the whole thing from before Christmas. If anyone want's tips this year, just pm me.

Last year, I made the prediction on the Bayern game in the knowledge that the ref would of done his job properly, he didn't. So I won't be putting more money on Ronaldo not to score a few more off-side goals. As I said, if the ref does his job Bayern win, if he doesn't, which he probably won't once more, Real will win

• Advertisement

UEFA have ruled that Ramos will not face any further punishment for standing in the tunnel against Juventus as he didn't enter the playing area. Free to play in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yes, to quote the guardian report on the game:
    18 Apr 2017 : 22:13
    Full-time: Real Madrid 4-2 Bayern Munich (6-3 agg)
    Bayern have been robbed.

and in extra time to take the lead ....
    18 Apr 2017 : 21:55
    GOAL! Real Madrid 2-2 Bayern Munich (Ronaldo, 105 min; 4-3 aggg)
    This is another disgrace from the officials, who have been an utter shambles tonight. Ramos lifts a straight ball into the middle for Ronaldo, who’s about two yards offside
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2017/apr/18/real-madrid-v-bayern-munich-champions-league-quarter-final-live

The 2 'dream' finals were

Arsenal v Atletico
    Real v Munich

I bet you UEFA cheat and keep them apart in the semi's!!

Maybe UEFA's dream Final in the Champions League is Real V Liverpool :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yes, I remember last year, when I nearly called the whole thing from before Christmas. If anyone want's tips this year, just pm me.

Last year, I made the prediction on the Bayern game in the knowledge that the ref would of done his job properly, he didn't. So I won't be putting more money on Ronaldo not to score a few more off-side goals. As I said, if the ref does his job Bayern win, if he doesn't, which he probably won't once more, Real will win

Who from Real píssed in your cereal?

Fúck me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SlickRic wrote: »

Fúck me.

CR7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Liverpool Bayern final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

2 cups, 1 city.

3-0/3-1 at a push in Anfield, Salah hat trick. Scoreless in Rome with the main storyline of the game being trouble before the game, the Roma ultras love a scrap with English fans..

Hard to call the other, could see penalties. Bayern are better than last year though but Real just have that X factor in this competition and they've got the rub of the green with the 2nd leg in the Bernabeu and Ramos not being suspended. Think Real might shade it.

Bayern München (GER) v Real Madrid (ESP) – 25 April & 1 May
    Liverpool (ENG) v Roma (ITA) – 24 April & 2 May

SlickRic wrote: »

Fúck me.

Years of corruption, the Spanish tax payer funding their success and the fact they're a bunch of fascists. More recently, unlikeable players, Europa league draws for two years running, and ref decisions always favouring them when a team has their beating, most noticeably Bayern last year. But ultimately, in this tie, I just think Bayern are the better team under Heyneks. So we'll see how it's reffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The bitters are out in force today!

"weak semi final"
    "poor teams left in the champions league this year"
    "Europa League semi finals are tougher"

Not on boards exactly, but on social media lately..... I'll give ye one clue of which team they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

FitzShane wrote:
    Europa League semi finals are tougher"

Who said that?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

2/1 Real Madrid, 2/1 Liverpool, 12/5 Bayern Munich, 17/2 Roma.
    First legs
    April 25th 1/2 Liverpool 3/1 Draw 4/1 Roma
    April 26th 1/1 Bayern 12/5 Draw 21/10 Madrid
    Name the finalists:
    7/4 MAD-LIV 2/1 BAY-LIV 7/2 MAD-ROM 5/1 BAY-ROM
    Anyone fancying Roma should back them now at 15/2 and lay them off later.
    Juventus were available at 160/1 to qualify before Wednesday night and were 7/4 to qualify on 90 minutes!

These look like being great ties. Let's hope we're not talking about the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Years of corruption, the Spanish tax payer funding their success and the fact they're a bunch of fascists. More recently, unlikeable players, Europa league draws for two years running, and ref decisions always favouring them when a team has their beating, most noticeably Bayern last year. But ultimately, in this tie, I just think Bayern are the better team under Heyneks. So we'll see how it's reffed

Their fans are also some of the most disgusting individuals in the world. Was watching in a bar the game where Betis were playing against them in the Bernabéu. Some of the abuse that was coming out of their mouth was sick. Also you turn on the news and Spain could have won something in another sport but you'll get about thirty minutes dedicated to Madrid and what they ate for dinner and 2 minutes to said sport. Also their White hankerchief ****e pisses me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It would be very funny if Roma won the champions league the first season after Totti’s retirement.

Thats right, they have cheated their way to all their success of late.

They have been in 3 of the last 4 finals, and could possibly make it 4 in last 5 soon.

If you think they achieve all that from getting dodgy decisions, you are a bit of a saddo and delusional.

It wouldn't be said about any other team, people seem to have a real hatred for Madrid. Many neutrals love watching them as they always play attacking, open football. No parking the bus ever with Madrid, and I have been watching them for nearly 35-40yrs now. You know when you watch one of their games on TV you are going to see a decent game usually.

When Barca were pummeling all before them for a few years, did they too get dodgy decisions? Or is it just that Irish people are meant to buy into the whole Catalan, independence, more than a club bullsh1t and support the lefties? I also like watching Barca play too, cos they play the game the right way.

Maybe sometimes teams win things because they are the best. End of. Nothing complicated or no conspiracies.

Their fans are also some of the most disgusting individuals in the world. Was watching in a bar the game where Betis were playing against them in the Bernabéu. Some of the abuse that was coming out of their mouth was sick. Also you turn on the news and Spain could have won something in another sport but you'll get about thirty minutes dedicated to Madrid and what they ate for dinner and 2 minutes to said sport. Also their White hankerchief ****e pisses me off.

Yes a real nasty sinister undercurrent to their fans. The old imperialist siege mentality. You get the same attitude in some loyalist circles in the north and Scotland, their teams Linfield and Rangers, and the far right in parts of English society. A belief they are superior to the peasants that surround them, and will use any excuse to trample over anyone they can. Horrible club, everything they have is built on corruption. I wonder how much "healthy debt" they are in now?

Never heard them compared to Rangers now, thats a new one.

You need to let it go Miller, all that rage will give you high blood pressure or worse.

Never heard them compared to Rangers now, thats a new one.

You need to let it go Miller, all that rage will give you high blood pressure or worse.

Im comparing a prevalent siege mentality, not ethos, of a certain section of the fans in the two clubs.

Nor did I said Madrid cheated. Soft draws 2 years on the bounce, and officials stepping in for them v Bayern, as they did for much of the domestic season last year. How much "healthy debt" do you reckon they are in these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Let's hope Real win the semi or some will have nothing to give out about

Advertisement