Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Real have been poor but the last 3 CL campaigns have thought us anything is you an never count them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

niallo27 wrote: »
    Utd fans should be worried after that goal.

Be more concerned if I was a Chelsea fan tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Real have been poor but the last 3 CL campaigns have thought us anything is you an never count them out.

They've found a dip in form at a bad time.
    Awful at home to Juve, poor tonight and look out-of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Chelsea be needing a new goalie this summer

I wouldn't be surprised if they went after De Gea

Marcelo caught missing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:

Bayern haven't exactly been incredible either. A lot of stray passes. James workrate is impressive in a way cause he's more high maintenance than high pressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bayern are being so wasteful here, Madrid aren't going to be bad for 90 minutes, they definitely won't be bad for both legs, need to score more than once during this spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why? Courtois has been mediocre this season, Madrid go after the best. De Gea is the best. They nearly signed him once, it’s not at all unlikely they’ll try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If De Gea has a big world cup though I think they will go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All about them full-backs!

• Advertisement

Feck sake. Great goal though in fairness.

Yeah, there it is. Great contact on that strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What a strike that is by Marcelo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Real do nothing all half and then get a goal out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Away goal. Perfect timing for real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Real didn't deserve that. And from Marcelo, he could hit that another 10 times and he wouldn't score.

stayed hit

sligeach wrote: »
    Real didn't deserve that. And from Marcelo, he could hit that another 10 times and he wouldn't score.

Could say that about kimmichs goal also

How that isn’t a booking for Vazquez I do not know. Awful decision.

• Advertisement

And it continues from Bayern, so fcuking wasteful.

Navas is having a bit of a Mignolet so far, lucky that didn’t fall to a Bayern player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Damn! Either side with that header and it was in.

Such a wasteful half from Bayern, so many good sides turn to shîte in front of goal against Real. I don’t know if it’s intimidation or luck, but their defence isn’t as good as people say it is.

Always wondered why Madrid never thought about playing Marcelo in midfield and getting a proper full back in behind him.

He can't defend. He's decent going forward and skillful enough to play there.

They concede a lot of chances down his side of defence.

martyos121 wrote:
    Such a wasteful half from Bayern, so many good sides turn to shìte in front of goal against Real. I don't know if it's intimidation or luck, but their defence isn't as good as people say it is.

I was wondering how truly bad Dortmund & Hamburg must be to concede 6 against them.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I was wondering how truly bad Dortmund & Hamburg must be to concede 6 against them.

I saw the Dortmund game, they weren’t anywhere near prepared for the pace Bayern set in that match. The first half was literally like watching a full strength Bayern against an U21 team. Didn’t see Hamburg’s game but they’ve been atrocious all season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

De Gea is better than Courtois and i think Real know that as well. I'm not sure Madrid will allow a broken fax machine stop them this time.

monkey9 wrote: »
    De Gea is better than Courtois and i think Real know that as well. I'm not sure Madrid will allow a broken fax machine stop them this time.

Fax machine?
    When did they try to sign De Gea, the 90s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Like the last couple of years we all think RM are there for the taking but they are not. They will go through easily over the two legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always wondered why Madrid never thought about playing Marcelo in midfield and getting a proper full back in behind him.

Used to hear this a lot in the United thread years ago, talking about playing full backs as wingers. "Player X gets forward well but can't defend, why don't we play him on the wing...". Or England fans wanting to play Ashley Cole on the wing to fix their left wing problems.

Its rubbish, they are just not the same position, the runs start from different areas, the runs are not tracked the same as a wingers, the full back is not expected to create in tight areas, not expected to turn in and switch sides. Take the likes of Marcelo breaking from deep or coming onto the ball out wide, there is a world of difference between that and what the likes of Robben or Giggs had to achieve as wingers.

The likes of Bale were the exception not the rule, most full backs played further forward on the wing wouldn't know if they were coming or going.

• Advertisement

Maybe Ronaldo's worst ever shot :p

Quality contribution from Ronaldo there. :D

martyos121 wrote: »
    I saw the Dortmund game, they weren’t anywhere near prepared for the pace Bayern set in that match. The first half was literally like watching a full strength Bayern against an U21 team. Didn’t see Hamburg’s game but they’ve been atrocious all season anyway.

I always admire Hamburgs cockroach mentality in the Bundesliga but they are walking a thin line for some time. Amazed that Bayern set a pace as this side seems very flat without Koman.

Used to hear this a lot in the United thread years ago, talking about playing full backs as wingers. "Player X gets forward well but can't defend, why don't we play him on the wing...". Or England fans wanting to play Ashley Cole on the wing to fix their left wing problems.

Its rubbish, they are just not the same position, the runs start from different areas, the runs are not tracked the same as a wingers, the full back is not expected to create in tight areas, not expected to turn in and switch sides. Take the likes of Marcelo breaking from deep or coming onto the ball out wide, there is a world of difference between that and what the likes of Robben or Giggs had to achieve as wingers.

The likes of Bale were the exception not the rule, most full backs played further forward on the wing wouldn't know if they were coming or going.

I also think marcelo could make the move
    Sure he plays there most weeks

ERG89 wrote: »
    I always admire Hamburgs cockroach mentality in the Bundesliga but they are walking a thin line for some time. Amazed that Bayern set a pace as this side seems very flat without Koman.

It’s more of a criticism on Dortmund tbh, they essentially brought a spoon to a knife fight. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fax machine?
    When did they try to sign De Gea, the 90s?

They've just moved on from Telex.

Isco subbed at half-time is a big call from Zidane.

can't see Bayern going through in this tie.

Real Madrid have been well below their best this season, but they’re still world class at surrounding a referee.

He contributed very little.
    I would have been tempted to introduce Bale.

• Advertisement

He can't defend. He's decent going forward and skillful enough to play there.

They concede a lot of chances down his side of defence.
    Is he not on the same wing as Ronaldo though? Gonna be exposed there surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Bad bad mistake that by Bayern

And it's been vindicated in style! Elite counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Talk about undeserved. Real have a horseshoe up their backsides in this competition. Can never back against them.

Rafinha....ugh. Asensio witj a lovely finish

Sure Bayern are the only team left to win their league this season, shouldn't they be the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was a good ball......... If he'd been playing for Madrid.

Madrid looked more in control since it restarted.

If they get another, game over.

Talk about undserved. Real have a horseshoe up their backsides in this tournament.

Bayern have only themselves to blame really. Awful finishing throughout. Tie probably done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boom!

Real Madrid just ****in' get it done.

Stunning finish.

Advertisement