Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sure its not as if Bayern ever turned round a 2-1 home defeat against Real to bring the tie to extra time after outplaying Real in the bernabau .....

oh hang on, thats what happened last year.

Why did RTE and BT keep on repeatedly saying that Real have won their last six matches against Bayern ?
    Did Bayern not win the second leg last season and force the match into extra time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GLaDOS wrote:
    Id hardly say the Madrid Munich tie is over

I genuinely think Roma have a better chance than Bayern tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’ve really enjoyed it this year, especially watching Madrid, beating PSG, Juve and potentially Bayern to get to the final, it’s as if someone is trying to stop them winning it again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

astradave wrote: »
    I’ve really enjoyed it this year, especially watching Madrid, beating PSG, Juve and potentially Bayern to get to the final, it’s as if someone is trying to stop them winning it again :pac:

They had a very tough run to get there,I would easily say the most deserved team to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They had a very tough run to get there,I would easily say the most deserved team to win it.

Whoever wins it in Kiev will be the team who deserves it, nobody else. You have to earn titles, you don’t deserve them purely for beating certain teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

martyos121 wrote: »
    Whoever wins it in Kiev will be the team who deserves it, nobody else. You have to earn titles, you don’t deserve them purely for beating certain teams.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

martyos121 wrote: »

Some draws are definitely easier than others. The same way some groups are. Don't kid yourself.

Yes whoever wins deserves it but that doesn't mean another club didn't have a tougher route to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Madrid have already lost twice in this seasons champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why did RTE and BT keep on repeatedly saying that Real have won their last six matches against Bayern ?
    Did Bayern not win the second leg last season and force the match into extra time ?

and dont forget those offside goals Madrid were handed last year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Extra time counts towards an official scoreline so officially Real Won the game 4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

astradave wrote: »

Many on here will tell you Madrid had the help of UEFA, refs, the Illuminati etc to win another CL.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

NIMAN wrote: »
    Many on here will tell you Madrid had the help of UEFA, refs, the Illuminati etc to win another CL.;)
    the ref appointed for the game tomorrow is the lad who unbelievably sent off Nani for Man Utd against Real a few years back tuning the tie in their favour.
    Whether thats a conspiracy to help Madrid, I couldnt possibly comment.

The Bayern team against Frankfurt at the weekend had an average age of just a few days over 24, including 4 debutants from the youth system (and they still won 4 -1 ), 3 of whom are on the squad for tomorrow.
    The 3 young lads who are travelling were very good against Frankfurt and slotted in perfectly, one getting the opener. The lad not travelling is the odd one out who did look a little star struck by being chosen for the first team out of the blue.
    I wouldnt be surprised if at least one of them starts, in order to inject a little freshness and pace. Alaba is travelling too, but he is just back from an injury so over potentially 120 minutes a liability.

Its hard to see bayern beating Real with the home and ref advantage , but if the ref stays reasonably even handed and doesnt do anything rash I'd at least hope that the tie is still up for grabs approaching 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Its hard to see bayern beating Real with the home and ref advantage , but if the ref stays reasonably even handed and doesnt do anything rash I'd at least hope that the tie is still up for grabs approaching 90 minutes.

If it's Cuneyt Cakir then I wouldn't hold out any hope. He is genuinely one of the worst Ref's currently operating.

A red card or penalty bet might be worth a look though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If it's Cuneyt Cakir then I wouldn't hold out any hope. He is genuinely one of the worst Ref's currently operating.

Even that he ****s up. The guy is capable of sending off people in friendlies while showing no cards in a Boca - River Plate match.

And yes, it is our little friend Cakir.

there's a few posters on this thread who belong in the flat earth one instead!

What?

The anti-Madridista brigade....the ones who think no other teams in football get bad decisions their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

another one (lest anyone say its a pro bayern, anti madrid view of the world that has me doubting this mans mental ability), Ireland v Italy in a world cup qualifier

Sends off Keith Andrews for a second yellow card for what isnt even a tackle, let alone a free, let alone a yellow card . Unbelievable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhhu6GnLuo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

another one (lest anyone say its a pro bayern, anti madrid view of the world that has me doubting this mans mental ability), Ireland v Italy in a world cup qualifier

Sends off Keith Andrews for a second yellow card for what isnt even a tackle, let alone a free, let alone a yellow card . Unbelievable.

He was also the ref against Belgium who ignored Shane Long getting kicked in the head in their box right before they scored.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Is he the Turk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is he the Turk?

Yes.
    Bayern are furious about his appointment.
    As Bayern look to turn the score around in Madrid and continue their treble run, they are not entirely happy that Çakir will officiate the match due to dreadful experiences in the past. Bayern were eliminated from the Champions League in 2016 after losing to Atletico Madrid—on away goals—in a very controversial match that still haunts the Germans. After the team’s knockout in 2016, the club chairman Karl Heinz Rummenigge harshly criticized Çakir for wrong calls in the game and said that he felt cheated.

Here is Rummenigge’s reaction to the controversial match against Atletico from two years back:

Our team played great. They deserved to win and deserved to go to Milan. Atletico’s goal was offside; the foul for the penalty was outside of the box.
    The UEFA delegate told me it’s a shame what he did.

As they should be. Not saying he's pro Real Madrid or anything just he's a ****e ref.

Surely is he's a sh1t ref then he is likely to make bad decisions for both teams?

Why would a Turkish ref be pro-Real Madrid anyway?

I also think its a bit poor form of Bayern to be complaining about the ref even before the game has started. It is kind of making excuses before the event, to cover them getting beat. If they are good enough, they'll do what they have to on the pitch and get through. If they go out over 2 legs, is it always a ref who causes it, or themselves not being good enough?

It's because he's randomly ****e. You've no idea what he'll do as there's absolutely no consistency at all with him. It's a pure gamble.

Would you want the fate of your club hanging in the balance with an unpredictable lunatic?

The fact so many people are aware of who he is in here should tell you something. I doubt I'd have any idea who the ref is in the other semi as I know very few refs. But this guy stands out every time I see him.

I've genuinely no idea how he's still taking charge of any games at the top level. He's beyond useless.

The least a club could expect in a champions league semi final is a competent referee.

Edit: and for the record I want Real Madrid to go through.

NIMAN wrote: »

It is a pyramid. Real get the benefit against all other clubs that are below them. Then the next level, Man U, Barca, Bayern get the decision against all below them, then Liverpool, Milan etc.

So all the clubs can be claimed to get bad decision in their favour, but only against the smaller club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's the Madrid and Bayern teams:
    Real Madrid XI: Navas; Vazquez, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Kovacic, Modric, Kroos, Asensio; Benzema, Ronaldo.

Bayern Munich XI: Ulreich; Kimmich, Sule, Hummels, Alaba; Tolisso, Thiago, James; Muller, Lewandowski, Ribery.

Can Bayern overturn the 2-1 deficit from the first leg?

I think Bayern will take it to Extra-Time and then Ronaldo will settle it for Madrid.

Has Vazquez played rb much/ever before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Here's the Madrid and Bayern teams:

I think Bayern will take it to Extra-Time and then Ronaldo will settle it for Madrid.

I hope they can overturn it.

As a Liverpool fan, I am frightened about the possibility of Ronaldo v Lovren in the final (if we get there)

Would you want the fate of your club hanging in the balance with an unpredictable lunatic?

I think if we are honest, the fate of Munich today lies in how awful they were last week.

If they play as badly tonight they deserve to go out.

Will be watching this ref closely tonight to see just how bad he is. But to be honest, most refs I see in the EPL and CL are prone to strange decisions.

No.
    Have to score twice tonight & I don't see it happening. Even after Alonso & Lahm retired last summer Bayern just looked old last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Be hilarious if James Rodriguez scores the decisive goal that knocks Real out.

Bayern targeting Vazquez straight away

Awful defending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well that makes it interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Poor from Madrid. Delighted!

TV3 commentary behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Great start by Bayern, 1-0.

The sound and action is further out than it is on Rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Makes it fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What was Ramos at?

Marcelo was very slow to get out and stop the cross too.

Game on

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

TV3 commentary behind?

Way behind! Thought a flag was raised cause of the lack of reaction

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

TV3 commentary behind?

Yep, even worse than RTE2 last week. Must be at least 3 seconds.

Just what the spectacle needed. Nice.

Esse85 wrote:
    Be hilarious if James Rodriguez scores the decisive goal that knocks Real out.

Didn't Morientes knock them out years ago with Monaco.
    Ugh I don't even like seeing Rafinha on the bench.

1-1. Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

What a start to the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Marcelo is a great player

Hate Marcelo but it was a good cross.

At least the sound is synched with the picture now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Madrid defenders all over the shop here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Marcelo is a great player

Don't think he gets the appreciation he deserves - best LB in the World I reckon.

Advertisement