Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I thought Ribery was decent. Himself and Alaba tortured Vasquez

Aye, but the young lads not a RB, usually plays upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Esse85 wrote:
    Ribery, Muller and Lewandowski all really quiet tonight.

2/3,thought Ribery at 35(?) tried hard,the other 2 were brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I thought Ribery was decent. Himself and Alaba tortured Vasquez

It's the done thing these days, to run down Ribery for no apparent reason, even though he's generally one of the more industrious players on show

Lewandowski failed his Madrid audition over the 2 legs.

They'd be mad to spend money on him this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Aye, but the young lads not a RB, usually plays upfront.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ashley Young

Never seen him scream in referees faces for decisions anytime he was under pressure. Plus that's 1 player at Real or Barca it's a lot more than 1 of them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Hes a great player and would be great at Real.Hard to judge over 2 games but he would replace Benzema spot no problem and worth the cash imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ardent wrote: »
    My heart was pumping throughout those last 15 minutes! What a game!

Mine too, handy that.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Mine too, handy that.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hes a great player and would be great at Real.Hard to judge over 2 games but he would replace Benzema spot no problem and worth the cash imo.
    Their best move is to say "Here is Gareth Bale accompanies by all on the monies. All of them. Every last monies that ever monied. And in return, one Harry Kane please."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Did the Bayern keeper make a save over the two legs?

Jammy Real, Zidane and Perez have sold their souls to the devil to get to the final yet again.
    Real were gifted two of their goals and Muller and Lewandowski couldn't hit a barn door.

If nerves dont get the better of Liverpool in the final, they will get a lot of joy against Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bayern deserved to go through over the two legs.

Madrid will get destroyed by Liverpool if they play that poorly.

They will. Madrid are a shadow of their former selves. It would be shocking of they do 3 in a row. Any decent side will destroy them. Roma even though they are 5-2 down v Liverpool have a better chance of winning the CL this year than Real in my opinion.

Bayern somehow contrived to lose that tie. They gave Real far too much respect.

This Real Madrid team will not win 3 in a row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Ramos is the worst for going up and shouting at refs, he's like John Terry x10

Uh Sergio Busquets
    And your view on Ramos doesnt count You Real Betis fan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Said this before the first leg: if I were a Liverpool fan I'd prefer to play Madrid than Bayern. Zidane, much like Guardiola, will stick to his attacking ethos and that principled mentality will suit Klopp's style; Heynckes is pragmatic and would have done whatever he felt was needed to get the job done. He's also beaten Klopp in a Champions League final before.

I suspect Klopp privately is pleased with this outcome.

But the thing with Zidane, he has so many strings to his bow, and is so spoiled with riches, that that attacking ethos is still "unpredictable" if that is possible.

Second leg vs PSG. Favours the energy of Vazquez and Asensio ahead of Bale and Isco, and Kovacic for Modric. Gets the result.

Tonight, Casemiro is held in reserve for the more defensive shield of Kovacic.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the up-to-now under-used Bale is brought out of the cold to match up vs TAA.

Nice little headache for Zidane to have.

If anything, Liverpool are TOO predictable. Yes it has worked thus far, but there is literally no rabbit bouncing around Melwood to spring from a hat in Kiev.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

dear oh dear

Those two goals tonight for Big Benz is all it will take for Zidane to keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

irishman86 wrote: »
    Uh Sergio Busquets
    And your view on Ramos doesnt count You Real Betis fan :pac:

Haha touché

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No they won't. Liverpool or Roma whichever wins the other tie are a shoo in.

I'd have Madrid as odds on favorites in the final.
    They'll just do enough on the day.
    They're very clinical as a team. Very well suited for finals.
    A pity as it drains a lot of excitement out of the competition.

But the thing with Zidane, he has so many strings to his bow, and is so spoiled with riches, that that attacking ethos is still "unpredictable" if that is possible.

Second leg vs PSG. Favours the energy of Vazquez and Asensio ahead of Bale and Isco, and Kovacic for Modric. Gets the result.

Tonight, Casemiro is held in reserve for the more defensive shield of Kovacic.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the up-to-now under-used Bale is brought out of the cold to match up vs TAA.

Nice little headache for Zidane to have.

If anything, Liverpool are TOO predictable. Yes it has worked thus far, but there is literally no rabbit bouncing around Melwood to spring from a hat in Kiev.

They may not need a rabbit in a hat. Liverpool are impossible to keep out if you do not park a bus, and Madrid won't

• Advertisement

Who is Mooler?

They may not need a rabbit in a hat. Liverpool are impossible to keep out if you do not park a bus, and Madrid won't

It may be impossible to keep Ronaldo out too when Lovren is a first-choice centre back :D

5-5 thriller on the cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just looking at the Bayern chances in the second half alone, sooooo many good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

ERG89 wrote: »
    Who is Mooler?

They were calling him Miller on the Spanish commentary.

Any decent side will destroy them.

Any decent side like... French champions PSG, who won their league and finished ahead of Bayern in the group?

Or more like... Juve, who are four points clear in Serie A with 3 games left, were in 2 of the last 3 finals, and who knocked out Spurs?

Or more like... German champions and perennial late stagers Bayern Munich?

I have to ask, what constitutes a 'decent side'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What game was Souness watching, Bayern spent the whole game diving to the ground at the slightest contact.

• Advertisement

5-5 thriller on the cards.

1-0 so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Never seen him scream in referees faces for decisions anytime he was under pressure. Plus that's 1 player at Real or Barca it's a lot more than 1 of them at it.

I was talking more on going down on little or no contact as per the text I was quoting. Roy Keane was great is getting in Ref's faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

They will. Madrid are a shadow of their former selves. It would be shocking of they do 3 in a row. Any decent side will destroy them.

Beats PSG/Juve/Bayern on the way to the final.

Who dafck do you want them to play?

Porto and Roma

Roma or Liverpool, preferably Liverpool

• Advertisement

You're not a real team until you've taken on Louis Amore Rodriguez' Harchester United squad and won.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Any decent side like... French champions PSG, who won their league and finished ahead of Bayern in the group?

Or more like... Juve, who are four points clear in Serie A with 3 games left, were in 2 of the last 3 finals, and who knocked out Spurs?

Or more like... German champions and perennial late stagers Bayern Munich?

I have to ask, what constitutes a 'decent side'?

An english premier league side for most

Madrid have had as hard a run to the final as possible. Yet people are saying a decent team will beat them.

Some people haven't a notion.

I can see Barcelona giving Real a right hiding at the weekend.
    Hopefully Reals luck will run out in the final, they do not deserve to win three in a row.

irishman86 wrote: »
    An english premier league side for most

The sad truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Madrid have had as hard a run to the final as possible. Yet people are saying a decent team will beat them.

It's generally baffling.

Agree that they don't seem as amazing as last year but they grind out results. I do think Liverpool will beat them if the occasion doesn't get to them. But Madrid are masters of Europe and you just know they'll show up.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You're not a real team until you've taken on Louis Amore Rodriguez' Harchester United squad and won.

Jerry Block would probably hire a sniper to take Ronaldo out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

ERG89 wrote:
    Who is Mooler?

Or burn munich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Just looking at the Bayern chances in the second half alone, sooooo many good ones.

They blew it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Jerry Block would probably hire a sniper to take Ronaldo out.

Linda would be devastated as she's probably riding him.

• Advertisement

They were calling him Miller on the Spanish commentary.

Now I want Brian Kerr to do Spanish commentary.
    "Moy bwen...ah cross"

The point is, there is serious vulnerability there. Winning 3 of the last 4 CL's flatters them I believe. They are a very good functional team to a point, but teams have had their measure. They have been fortunate again this tie. Whether it's been Europa league draws in the past, last minute goals against Atletico in the final, ref decisions (whether right or wrong) always going for them, goalie howlers and guilt edge chances missed against them when teams have their beating, fortune has always shinned on them thus far, and always at key turning points in games. Their domestic form isn't an anomaly, the same weaknesses have been exposed in Europe too, teams just haven't exploited it, partly due to the aforementioned reasons. A confident and clinical team should be able to exploit them, and Liverpool right now are a clinical and confident team. They are there for the taking, hopefully Liverpool rise to the occasion, which they normally do in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

The point is, there is serious vulnerability there. Winning 3 of the last 4 CL's flatters them I believe. They are a very good functional team to a point, but teams have had their measure. They have been fortunate again this tie. Whether it's been Europa league draws in the past, last minute goals against Atletico in the final, ref decisions (whether right or wrong) always going for them, goalie howlers and guilt edge chances missed against them when teams have their beating, fortune has always shinned on them thus far, and always at key turning points in games. Their domestic form isn't an anomaly, the same weaknesses have been exposed in Europe too, teams just haven't exploited it, partly due to the aforementioned reasons. A confident and clinical team should be able to exploit them, and Liverpool right now are a clinical and confident team. They are there for the taking, hopefully Liverpool rise to the occasion, which they normally do in Europe

The only person on this forum who speaks any sense. I swear you lot just see the results after the game and imagine how the game went.

Most teams are functional, Madrid are obviously more functional than others as they have won the premier competition in Europe for the last 2 years. By definition, all football teams have a function, to beat the opposition, Madrid seem fairly good at it. And for the neutral, they never Park the bus, always try to win every game they are in, and try to outscore the opposition. I'd think most football fans would embrace these attributes.

I cannot fathom how people are saying they are ordinary, lucky etc, yet they have lost 1 cl game in the last 3 seasons.

Sometimes I think people are just so biased they can't see the facts.

NIMAN wrote:
    I cannot fathom how people are saying they are ordinary, lucky etc, yet they have lost 1 cl game in the last 3 seasons.

1 knockout game this season. They lost to Juve & Spurs this season. They lost to Atletico in a semi final last year too (had won the first leg mind) so I'm not sure how accurate that stat is.

1 knockout game this season. They lost to Juve & Spurs this season. They lost to Atletico in a semi final last year too (had won the first leg mind) so I'm not sure how accurate that stat is.

It was a stat on the TV tonight.
    Knockout games only perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Most teams are functional, Madrid are obviously more functional than others as they have won the premier competition in Europe for the last 2 years. By definition, all football teams have a function, to beat the opposition, Madrid seem fairly good at it. And for the neutral, they never Park the bus, always try to win every game they are in, and try to outscore the opposition. I'd think most football fans would embrace these attributes.

Sometimes I think people are just so biased they can't see the facts.

People hate Madrid. They tend not to attract balanced observation. When a sentence starts with "3 CL finals in 4 years flatters them" it tells you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

When does the Referee for the final get picked?

Would be nice if it was someone not afraid to give a big decision against Real tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Haha is that when you come in and use it for some sort of vindication for the nonsense you've spewed about Ronaldo for the last 3 or so years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I can see Barcelona giving Real a right hiding at the weekend.
    Hopefully Reals luck will run out in the final, they do not deserve to win three in a row.

If they win the CL by beating PSG,Juve,Bayern and then Liverpool, they will very much have deserved to win it..

Advertisement