Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

NIMAN wrote: »
    I cannot fathom how people are saying they are ordinary, lucky etc, yet they have lost 1 cl game in the last 3 seasons.

That's nothing. Since losing to Chelsea in 2009, Liverpool haven't lost ANY CL knock-out game. So there.

Granted, we haven't actually played any knock-outs since then, until this season :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Liam O wrote: »
    Haha is that when you come in and use it for some sort of vindication for the nonsense you've spewed about Ronaldo for the last 3 or so years?

I stick by everything I've said about Ronaldo. Rubbish over these two legs on top of that. Madrid players bursting a gut to make something happen when the game was in the melting pot, Ronaldo frolicking around unable to get anywhere close to the pace of the game on a technical level. Poor outfield player, great goal scorer as I've said before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I stick by everything I've said about Ronaldo. Rubbish over these two legs on top of that. Madrid players bursting a gut to make something happen when the game was in the melting pot, Ronaldo frolicking around unable to get anywhere close to the pace of the game on a technical level. Poor outfield player, great goal scorer as I've said before
    Do you ever feel like, when your opinion is that against the grain, maybe you are wrong? Maybe there is something that you see that nobody else really does, and you have an insight that nobody else has. But I doubt it somehow.

Do you ever feel like, when your opinion is that against the grain, maybe you are wrong? Maybe there is something that you see that nobody else really does, and you have an insight that nobody else has. But I doubt it somehow.

What's against the grain by saying Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, and a technically poor outfield player? Take this tie for example, how is my statement untrue when applied to what we just saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

astradave wrote: »
    If they win the CL by beating PSG,Juve,Bayern and then Liverpool, they will very much have deserved to win it..

Nope.

Some people will say they were lucky, and haven't played a decent team yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I remember times towards the end of both legs where he came back and made important tackles that have helped a lot.

What's your opinion on Salah this season?

Liam O wrote: »
    I remember times towards the end of both legs where he came back and made important tackles that have helped a lot.

What's your opinion on Salah this season?

Yes, Ronaldo was Maradona-esque out there.

Salah is brilliant. Not only does he score bags of goals, he's also a very proficient and industrious outfield player, who's involvement and link up in passages of play is devastating. A goal scorer and playmaker, who leads from the front like Suarez did at Liverpool. Ronaldo is an outlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The trolls and the conspiracy theorists in this thread are one thing, but whats really amusing to see is this new narrative that poor little Real Madrid are heading for an almighty hiding if they come up against the unstoppable Liverpool in the final. Its a done deal if you took any heed of some posters in here. :pac:

I dunno, maybe Liverpool will win, but damn sure I wouldn't be placing a bet on them, not on a team that has been stopped plenty of times this season playing against the team that are perennial champions with some of the most accomplished players in the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The trolls and the conspiracy theorists in this thread are one thing, but whats really amusing to see is this new narrative that poor little Real Madrid are heading for an almighty hiding if they come up against the unstoppable Liverpool in the final. Its a done deal if you took any heed of some posters in here. :pac:

While others see the perennial champions winning because the are Real Madrid.

Go figure. Opinions eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Some craic if Liverpool go out tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I dunno, maybe Liverpool will win, but damn sure I wouldn't be placing a bet on them, not on a team that has been stopped plenty of times this season playing against the team that are perennial champions with some of the most accomplished players in the game.
    Agreed, especially with Klopp's record in Finals thrown into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

In terms of attacking entertainment it's probably the final (providing Liverpool get there) I'm most looking forward to since Barca v Arsenal. That turned out to be a damp scuib due to an early sending off so hopefully something similar doesn't ruin this game.

I think a 4-0 4-1 type score is equally possible for both sides.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Some craic if Liverpool go out tomorrow :D

Why?

Roma will have a good chance of beating Real.
    After all they would have beaten Liverpool by at least 3-0 and Barca 3-0.

My opinion on that Real defence being easily got at won't change if Roma get to the final.

Nor will my hope Real get beaten in the final. Most neutrals would be delighted if Real lose the final - except for Utd fans of course as they still wish Ronaldo plays for them.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    While others see the perennial champions winning because the are Real Madrid.

Go figure. Opinions eh!

I'm not sure your point, there are multiple posts stating that Liverpool will hockey Madrid in a final, that is a narrative being peddled. Who is peddling the narrative that Madrid will win simply for being Madrid?

If I was to suggest Madrid would win it would be because man for man they have a better team and because they are vastly experienced in beating Europes best teams to win champions leagues. I wouldn't call that logic faulty to be honest.

I'm not sure your point, there are multiple posts stating that Liverpool will hockey Madrid in a final, that is a narrative being peddled? Who is peddling the narrative that Madrid will win simply for being Madrid?

If I was to suggest Madrid would win it would be because man for man they have a better team and because they are vastly experienced in beating Europes best teams to win champions leagues. I wouldn't call that logic faulty to be honest.

A team doesn't need to be vastly superior than the other to hockey them these days. If one side goes an early goal down they could well be killed by the opposing side on the counter trying to chase the game.

I'm not sure your point, there are multiple posts stating that Liverpool will hockey Madrid in a final, that is a narrative being peddled. Who is peddling the narrative that Madrid will win simply for being Madrid?

I don't think anyone is saying England's greatest footballing institution will hockey Madrid, more that they are well placed to expose Spain's most successful footballing institutions glaring weaknesses if they are clinical. Although, anything could happen

I cant see Roma or Pool hockeying Real in the final - unless there's an early red or something.
    But it's very clear that Real are beatable on any day with that defence. They are giving up a lot of goals this year in particular. They are in the final but they have Really used a fine amount of luck to get there. 3-0 down at home to Juve....last minute pen. Bayern, missing a few top players, created a ridiculous amount of chances, very good chances and gave them an absolute gift of a goal again. Real were hanging in at the end, defending their box crazily at the end. In fact, Muller with the last kick could and possibly should have this thread talking about Bayern in the final.

Real have qualified and won it twice in a row. But whoever plays them will really fancy beating them, given their defence. I wouldn't call that a faulty logic to be honest.

Madrid will be favourites to win it regardless of who they play. Going for their 4th in 5 years ffs. Its their competition.

It'll be an upset if they don't win it.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Madrid will be favourites to win it regardless of who they play. Going for their 4th in 5 years ffs. Its their competition.

It'll be an upset if they don't win it.

Against Liverpool yeah but they'd be outsiders against Barca had they made the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Real may be shaky in defence but their sheer pool of talent mean they can score multiple goals even when playing poor like tonight, along with Ronaldo also missing a sitter. Liverpool are better defensively lately but, like Real, can still very much be got at back there. Casemiro will also be back and will make a big difference in the centre. Roma had suicide tactics in the first leg, almost unbelievable tactics really. Real won't do the same thing and will play the same way they do.

• Advertisement

I'll be happy if Liverpool can actually reach the final..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The narrative in here that Real are the ones with the bad defence if they play Liverpool in the final is amazing. Though they should probably have kept Pepe for another season.

Liverpool's strength is forcing the opposition into mistakes in the middle but I'm unsure they'll be as successful against Modric, Kroos and Casemiro who can all play around them and also have a vindictive streak. They also have the physical players up front that Liverpool struggle against at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rekop dog wrote:
    A team doesn't need to be vastly superior than the other to hockey them these days. If one side goes an early goal down they could well be killed by the opposing side on the counter trying to chase the game.

Probably has more to do with teams being so badly organised. Madrid were a total mess defensively & Bayern looked like they could concede at every attack as they were so anxious just to attack themselves.
    This season a 3 goal first leg lead is now seen as "Is it enough?" Which is crazy when you think about it.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Real have qualified and won it twice in a row. But whoever plays them will really fancy beating them, given their defence. I wouldn't call that a faulty logic to be honest.

It kinda is faulty logic to state that teams will fancy beating them because of the defence, when the team we expect to play them has an even worse defence again.

Liverpool may have improved defensively but damn sure I would rather have Navas, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Caravjal with Casemiro, Kroos and Modric in front of them than the Liverpool selection. Like I say, in my opinion Madrid are better man for man in every area of the pitch, so why is Madrids defence the important factor here? Why not Liverpools?

Lets be honest, all the Liverpool optimism comes from Salah and a hope that he will be effective against a defence that is nowhere near as bad as people are making out. But I have seen Salah be marked out of it this season, and I believe Zidane to be astute enough to know that, and so I really can't share this optimism people have for Liverpool to win.

It kinda is faulty logic to state that teams will fancy beating them because of the defence, when the team we expect to play them has an even worse defence again.

Liverpool may have improved defensively but damn sure I would rather have Navas, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Caravjal with Casemiro, Kroos and Modric in front of them than the Liverpool selection. Like I say, in my opinion Madrid are better man for man in every area of the pitch, so why is Madrids defence the important factor here? Why not Liverpools?

Lets be honest, all the Liverpool optimism comes from Salah and a hope that he will be effective against a defence that is nowhere near as bad as people are making out. But I have seen Salah be marked out of it this season, and I believe Zidane to be astute enough to know that, and so I really can't share this optimism people have for Liverpool to win.

I'd say it's due to the nature of how Liverpool play. Like City, Madrid will be the one's bringing the game to Liverpool, by default, pushing Liverpool back and solidifying their defense. This will leave Madrid open to lightning counter attacks, and if a teams defense is a bit open and wobbly, Liverpool tend to ruthlessly punish that. But it's been talked about from the point of how Liverpool can hurt Madrid, and not vice versa, most likely because Madrid are the champions and people like to predict where a champions downfall will be exposed

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think there's any doubt that if Liverpool make the final, they will win this cup.

I'm hoping that Roma turn them over tomorrow but I don't think for a second it's a reasonable expectation.

I'd expect Liverpool to trounce RM in the final tbh. Not a pleasant thought really but it seems almost inevitable if they survive Roma.

RM have a terrible defence and haven't upgraded their attackers for a while. They've been terrible in their home league and it was a miracle tonight that Navas decided to show up.

I think it's Liverpool's cup to lose at this stage. It would be shocking if they failed to win it from here.

Lads, it's Real Madrid in a CL final - they just don't lose these. I assume Liverpool will get through tomorrow, but I've been a Pool fan for 30 years so I expect to lose the final to Madrid... it's just the way of the world.....taxes and Real Madrid CL wins etc

btw, I also think some non-Pool fans are on the reverse-jinx codology in here :)

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Lads, it's Real Madrid in a CL final - they just don't lose these. I assume Liverpool will get through tomorrow, but I've been a Pool fan for 30 years so I expect to lose the final to Madrid... it's just the way of the world.....taxes and Real Madrid CL wins etc

btw, I also think some non-Pool fans are on the reverse-jinx codology in here :)

Liverpool ain't in the habit of losing too many CL finals when they get there either. Something about Europe tends to bring the best out of Liverpool. Liverpool also have a 100% win rate against Madrid in European Cup finals :). That also seems to bring the best out of Liverpool, when there is form in the history books. History and Europe, two words with a positive connotation for the Pool

Liverpool ain't in the habit of losing too many CL finals when they get there either. Something about Europe tends to bring the best out of Liverpool. Liverpool also have a 100% win rate against Madrid in European Cup finals :). That also seems to bring the best out of Liverpool, when there is form in the history books

True, but the Sevilla defeat a couple of years ago was pretty gutting, truth being told. I know it's a different competition, but that (coupled with the "nearly" league season) took it's toll on my LFC optimism. Add in Klopp's poor record in finals, and Madrids recent success, and it doesn't bode too well in my mind.

Still, let's get past Roma first anyway! :p

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    True, but the Sevilla defeat a couple of years ago was pretty gutting, truth being told. I know it's a different competition, but that (coupled with the "nearly" league season) took it's toll on my LFC optimism. Add in Klopp's poor record in finals, and Madrids recent success, and it doesn't bode too well in my mind.

Still, let's get past Roma first anyway! :p

Not a pool fan myself, but hope they go on and do it now. To validate the beautiful game they play, to annoy United fans, and to beat the fascists. Klopp did win a cup once, v Bayern. It's almost as if Liverpool can utilize their history to impose their game onto teams once the stakes get higher in Europe. Never seen that raw belief with any other team before, considering their players have no tangible link to the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Not a pool fan myself, but hope they go on and do it now. To validate the beautiful game they play, to annoy United fans, and to beat the fascists. Klopp did win a cup once, v Bayern. It's almost as if Liverpool can utilize their history to impose their game onto teams once the stakes get higher in Europe. Never seen that raw belief with any other team before, considering their players have no tangible link to the past

Im an Utd fan, and id love for the pool to destroy Roma tomorrow, embarress them with a insane scoreline. After that fkin farce they pull last week, if they win it'll be a get the hell out of dodge quick, and you'd have to be a brave fan to travel there.

Of course Ronaldo to get a hat trick with the last goal coming the 89th minute to break pools heart.
    All fairness though should be a cracking final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Billy86 wrote: »
    Any decent side like... French champions PSG, who won their league and finished ahead of Bayern in the group?

Or more like... Juve, who are four points clear in Serie A with 3 games left, were in 2 of the last 3 finals, and who knocked out Spurs?

Or more like... German champions and perennial late stagers Bayern Munich?

I have to ask, what constitutes a 'decent side'?

I don’t think I have seen a side more undeserving of their place in the final than this Real Madrid team. They shouldn’t be in the final. It’s a disgrace that they’ve got this far based on former reputation. They won’t get away with it in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don't think there's any doubt that if Liverpool make the final, they will win this cup.

I'm hoping that Roma turn them over tomorrow but I don't think for a second it's a reasonable expectation.

I'd expect Liverpool to trounce RM in the final tbh. Not a pleasant thought really but it seems almost inevitable if they survive Roma.

RM have a terrible defence and haven't upgraded their attackers for a while. They've been terrible in their home league and it was a miracle tonight that Navas decided to show up.

I think it's Liverpool's cup to lose at this stage. It would be shocking if they failed to win it from here.

Agreed. Real are a team living on their reputation. It’s actually shocking that they’ve got this far in the games premier club competition based on their reputation. Bayern for some inexplicable reason didn’t believe enough in themselves to dispatch them in the way they should have. Whoever gets through the Roma v Liverpool tie tonight will be CL champions this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If Liverpool get there and its still an IF. Real will of course be favourites . Most posting the Liverpool will hammer them stuff arent Liverpool fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That was a great match but kinda tough to watch. Mostly because regardless of all that happened on the pitch - and I congratulate Bayern for an immense performance - I kinda knew it wasn't going to happen for them.

Ullreich's howler was hard to take psychologically. It didn't really change anything at that point since Bayern needed 2 more goals anyway, but it knocked the air out of them for a while. Between that one and Rafinha's blackout in the first leg they did themselves.
    They left a good few chances out there. I guess they had to play such an intense game physically that concentration just wasn't there in the decisive moments.

Those matches were very much a breath of fresh air when at that level and at that stage of the competition matches are often very tactical and tight and very calculating. This was end to end at its best.

To those who think Liverpool this and Liverpool that... Have you not learned a thing from these knockout stages?

Also on Liverpool...while I don't dislike them at all I don't think it would be deserving if they won it. They had a comparably easy route so far and you can argue they're there and that makes it deserving but - I don't know - they're a good team and all but they're not in the same league as those big teams yet and if they did it it would feel like a steal to me. I mean they came fourth in the EPL almost 20 points behind the champions just a mere point ahead of the EL places. They haven't won an actual league title in donkeys. To me it wouldn't feel right as if they haven't 'earned' it.

And of course if I was a Liverpool supporter I'd think f*** you anyway. I concede that. Its just how I feel.

I didn't think I'd ever say that but I want Real to win it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lots of posters saying Liverpool are going to win the final this year. I didn't notice one Liverpool fan saying it in here though.

Real are favourites for the final, they are the only team to qualify for it so far. Liverpool still need to do a job tonight in Rome before they are even in Kiev.

Any talk of hockeying Real is just a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I don’t think I have seen a side more undeserving of their place in the final than this Real Madrid team. They shouldn’t be in the final. It’s a disgrace that they’ve got this far based on former reputation. They won’t get away with it in the final.

Can I ask who you think has been the best team in this year's competition, and who you think deserves to win the trophy this season based on performances ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Also on Liverpool...while I don't dislike them at all I don't think it would be deserving if they won it. They had a comparably easy route so far and you can argue they're there

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say except for this bit. Man City was probably the toughest draw any English side could have got. Liverpool rode their luck but got through. This tie alone meant it wasn't an easy route.

The fact Liverpool blew Porto, Rome and City away in the first legs doesn't mean it was easy.

Other than that we may not have beaten any champions (are Porto Portugal Champions?) but I can't agree Roma is an easy tie. They're obviously a quality side on their day as Barcelona will tell you. I'll be very happy if Liverpool get through tonight but it won't have been easy.

That was a great match but kinda tough to watch. Mostly because regardless of all that happened on the pitch - and I congratulate Bayern for an immense performance - I kinda knew it wasn't going to happen for them.

Ullreich's howler was hard to take psychologically. It didn't really change anything at that point since Bayern needed 2 more goals anyway, but it knocked the air out of them for a while. Between that one and Rafinha's blackout in the first leg they did themselves.
    They left a good few chances out there. I guess they had to play such an intense game physically that concentration just wasn't there in the decisive moments.

Those matches were very much a breath of fresh air when at that level and at that stage of the competition matches are often very tactical and tight and very calculating. This was end to end at its best.

To those who think Liverpool this and Liverpool that... Have you not learned a thing from these knockout stages?

Also on Liverpool...while I don't dislike them at all I don't think it would be deserving if they won it. They had a comparably easy route so far and you can argue they're there and that makes it deserving but - I don't know - they're a good team and all but they're not in the same league as those big teams yet and if they did it it would feel like a steal to me. I mean they came fourth in the EPL almost 20 points behind the champions just a mere point ahead of the EL places. They haven't won an actual league title in donkeys. To me it wouldn't feel right as if they haven't 'earned' it.

And of course if I was a Liverpool supporter I'd think f*** you anyway. I concede that. Its just how I feel.

I didn't think I'd ever say that but I want Real to win it now.

Liverpool topped their group ahead of Sevilla, who then knocked United out. They then beat Porto who qualified ahead of Monaco and RBL, hammered City who were one of the favourites and are now leading against Roma who finished ahead of Chelsea and Atletico, and knocked out Barca.

Liverpool are the only unbeaten team left and have scored more and conceded less than Real.

They would then have to beat Real to win the CL. But yes if they win it they won't deserve it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

What position are the mighty Liverpool in England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’d expect Madrid to grind out a win in the final as usual. I do think Liverpool are well capable of hockeying them in a home leg ‘under the lights at Anfield’
    That’s a factor that has served them well up until now that they won’t have against Madrid.

In saying that, Salah is as likely as Ronaldo to absolutely dominate the headlines. The result could hinge on which one of them turns up... or doesn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

irishman86 wrote: »
    What position are the mighty Liverpool in England

Yeah, whatever about arguing their performances in Europe (also a bit silly given their route to the final) the claims from some Liverpool fans that Madrid have been awful in La Liga is kind of funny given that they've scored more and conceded less than Liverpool have in the Premiership with just one less point but two games less played.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Liverpool topped their group ahead of Sevilla, who then knocked United out. They then beat Porto who qualified ahead of Monaco and RBL, hammered City who were one of the favourites and are now leading against Roma who finished ahead of Chelsea and Atletico, and knocked out Barca.

Liverpool are the only unbeaten team left and have scored more and conceded less than Real.

They would then have to beat Real to win the CL. But yes if they win it they won't deserve it :pac:

I remember a post on here years ago when someone was trying to belittle Liverpool's old European Cup wins, such as 1977 when they beat Monchengladbach in the final after knocking out St Etienne and Zurich along the way.... "but they didn't need to face Barca, Madrid, Munich etc" was the justification - completely oblivious to the possibility that those teams may not have actually been that good at the time and the teams who Liverpool faced that year were the best Europe had to offer.

If Liverpool do win it this year, I would expect the revisionist "but they beat the likes of Man City - and they're a 4th division side!" (sorry Man City fans :D) in 20 years time, but I didn't expect those arguments to start before the final has even been played!

Facts are, if Liverpool are to win it they would have beaten the runaway English leaders (and bookies CL favourites), knocked out the side who eliminated the Spanish champions (and most fans CL favourites), and beaten the current CL winners in the final. Yet people will still say "Porto... they're a nothing team".

Disclaimer - I still expect Madrid to win it out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

fyfe79 wrote:
    I remember a post on here years ago when someone was trying to belittle Liverpool's old European Cup wins.

As hypocritical as it sounds but wasn't that Man City in a match day program?
    Saying in was a simpler time like it was a book :pac: :pac:

Yeah, whatever about arguing their performances in Europe (also a bit silly given their route to the final) the claims from some Liverpool fans that Madrid have been awful in La Liga is kind of funny given that they've scored more and conceded less than Liverpool have in the Premiership with just one less point but two games less played.

What Liverpool fan said Madrid were awful in the League? I don't think I saw that post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its also worth noting, not that it means much, that Real have being naming weakened sides in La Liga pretty much since the K/Os of the CL started, Ronaldo has been left at home for some away games too they are that far behind Barca.

I think the Pool v Real final is going to ber very interesting, both sides love to play on the counter.

Player for player, Real are better but they're so suspect at the back, their luck has to run out sometime.

If they win 3 in a row, IMO, they have to be considered the greatest side in the last 3 or 4 decades, 4 finals in the last 5 is an unbelievable achievement.

ERG89 wrote: »
    As hypocritical as it sounds but wasn't that Man City in a match day program?
    Saying in was a simpler time like it was a book :pac: :pac:

Really? That's bad form. I take back my previous apology then about them being down the leagues in 20 years time :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What Liverpool fan said Madrid were awful in the League? I don't think I saw that post?
    Sorry, should've clarified it was more in reference to mates on whatsapp, Facebook, etc.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    If they win 3 in a row, IMO, they have to be considered the greatest side in the last 3 or 4 decades, 4 finals in the last 5 is an unbelievable achievement.
    It's kind of impossible to argue against... but I still might! :p It's just so hard to go against Barca of about 2008-12 when they were also dominating domestically and had the core of their team off winning European and World Cups on possibly the greatest national team of all time. It's really tough though, because 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 is absurd. If I'm right the only teams to ever do that were Madrid in the 50s (with five, but I've always thought these deserve a bit of an asterisk like winning a WC in the 1930s) and then Ajax followed directly by Bayenr in the 70s.

One thing is certain though, I was hilariously wrong about Zidane - I thought he was a terrible 'big name' manager type of hire at the time.

Which Liverpool players are on yellows by the way, for reference tonight? With both teams less than perfect in defense, having 1-2 key players out could be a huge loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement