Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Milner, Lovern and Alexander Arnold have yellows from the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which Liverpool players are on yellows by the way, for reference tonight? With both teams less than perfect in defense, having 1-2 key players out could be a huge loss.

Do you not need 3 yellows to miss out on the final and the cards are wiped after the quarters? So I don't think you can be suspended for the final on yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Which Liverpool players are on yellows by the way, for reference tonight? With both teams less than perfect in defense, having 1-2 key players out could be a huge loss.

I don't think that rule applies. Henderson is on a yellow but it was said in Liverpool thread last week that he won't be banned if he gets a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Need a red in the semis to be banned in the final these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

TheCitizen wrote: »
    dear oh dear

Whats the problem what I said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I’d expect Madrid to grind out a win in the final as usual. I do think Liverpool are well capable of hockeying them in a home leg ‘under the lights at Anfield’
    That’s a factor that has served them well up until now that they won’t have against Madrid.

In saying that, Salah is as likely as Ronaldo to absolutely dominate the headlines. The result could hinge on which one of them turns up... or doesn’t.

Except, Liverpool hammered Porto away from home and also beat City away from home.
    They are capable of playing well away from Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Need a red in the semis to be banned in the final these days.

Ah yes, had completely forgotten that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Need 3 yellow cards to be missing from the Final, and since all yellow cards are reset after the quarter finals the only way you would miss the final is a red card or if UEFA have a belated suspension to had out for something that happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Final could be a high scoring game I'd say, Liverpools tactic of sitting deep and then hitting it long into the channel for Salah to work a bit of magic could pay big dividends against a left back like Marcelo.

Equally you expect their defence to ship a couple as well at some point.

Should be a good watch

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Final could be a high scoring game I'd say, Liverpools tactic of sitting deep and then hitting it long into the channel for Salah to work a bit of magic could pay big dividends against a left back like Marcelo.

Equally you expect their defence to ship a couple as well at some point.

Should be a good watch

Roma are not out yet.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Roma are not out yet.

Look, I get the caution from Liverpool fans. I do, but do you honestly think its a plausible outcome for you to lose by 3 goals tonight, without even scoring in reply?

A goal for Pool, whatever time it comes will surely go a long way to relaxing ye but this is one of those big occassions where you can pretty much just relax and enjoy it. The stars are aligning, the hard work has been done. Tonight is a night for celebration.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sorry, should've clarified it was more in reference to mates on whatsapp, Facebook, etc.

It's kind of impossible to argue against... but I still might! :p It's just so hard to go against Barca of about 2008-12 when they were also dominating domestically and had the core of their team off winning European and World Cups on possibly the greatest national team of all time. It's really tough though, because 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 is absurd. If I'm right the only teams to ever do that were Madrid in the 50s (with five, but I've always thought these deserve a bit of an asterisk like winning a WC in the 1930s) and then Ajax followed directly by Bayenr in the 70s.

One thing is certain though, I was hilariously wrong about Zidane - I thought he was a terrible 'big name' manager type of hire at the time.

That Barca are by far a better footballing side and if they met this Madrid side would cut them open at will.

I think the 3 in a row, if it happens though is such a monumental achievement in the modern game that it would be hard to look passed Madrid.

I still think Pool will turn them over in the final but it should be a free scoring, mad game at the end of May.

Look, I get the caution from Liverpool fans. I do, but do you honestly think its a plausible outcome for you to lose by 3 goals tonight, without even scoring in reply?

A goal for Pool, whatever time it comes will surely go a long way to relaxing ye but this is one of those big occassions where you can pretty much just relax and enjoy it. The stars are aligning, the hard work has been done. Tonight is a night for celebration.

I'm not underestimating Roma. Barca had a three goal lead in the last round and look what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

In saying that, Salah is as likely as Ronaldo to absolutely dominate the headlines. The result could hinge on which one of them turns up... or doesn’t.

I'd genuinely expect Ronaldo to be the one stepping up and not Salah. Maybe it's because i remember the United game and how easily Salah was nullified and so i don't see him as unstoppable at all, whereas Ronaldo is Ronaldo and has proven his big game ability time and again.

I also think the Marcelo concerns are overstated, he is perhaps the best left back in the game right now, and more than that im sure Zidane will set up to help Marcelo out on that flank. Unless Zidane does something stupid I can see Salah being handled, for all that he has done fantastic this season.

And yes, I know Liverpool aren't qualified yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Players can have an off game, even Ronaldo last night was poor. Of course you can use tactics to try and nullify them but it doesn't always work. Even with Salah you think teams haven't considered him Liverpool's main threat for most of the season? Yet he still managed to perform in the majority of games.

• Advertisement

I'm not underestimating Roma. Barca had a three goal lead in the last round and look what happened.

Barcelona play a totally different style of football to Liverpool though. This game is made for Pool to score a few more in reality, Barca kill you by wearing you down and finding holes in your defence. Liverpool kill you by cutting you apart on the counter with the pace of the front men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Roma have already beaten Chelsea and Barca 3-0 at htome this season so to write them off is beyond stupid,
    This isn't a league game, the mental side of European football change the game,
     If you go down 1-0 in a Prem game you don't expect to lose 3-0 but its so different tonight,,
    If Roma get the first goal straight away they think they can do it and Liverpool will worry,  These stages of European nights are as much about mental strength as the football,

I'd genuinely expect Ronaldo to be the one stepping up and not Salah.  Maybe it's because i remember the United game and how easily Salah was nullified and so i don't see him as unstoppable at all, whereas Ronaldo is Ronaldo and has proven his big game ability time and again.

I also think the Marcelo concerns are overstated,  he is perhaps the best left back in the game right now,  and more than that im sure Zidane will set up to help Marcelo out on that flank. Unless Zidane does something stupid I can see Salah being handled, for all that he has done fantastic this season.

And yes, I know Liverpool aren't qualified yet.
    I agree Marcello is the best left full back around but the team he plays for makes the difference, 90% teams Real play do not attack them they are not brave enough , this Liverpool side will attack attack attack attack of a sudden Marcello strength is taken away and used as a weakness,
    Look at City batter scared teams in the Prem but if your brave enough to go after them you have a chance, Bristol and Wigan gave them more of a go than most Prem teams because they went after them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Except, Liverpool hammered Porto away from home and also beat City away from home.
    They are capable of playing well away from Anfield.

I didn’t say they can’t play well away from home. Do you not think the game at Anfield had any effect on the game at The Etihad? It will have a massive effect on how the game tonight plays out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Roma have already beaten Chelsea and Barca 3-0 at htome this season so to write them off is beyond stupid,
    This isn't a league game, the mental side of European football change the game,
     If you go down 1-0 in a Prem game you don't expect to lose 3-0 but its so different tonight,,

If Roma get the first goal straight away they think they can do it and Liverpool will worry,  These stages of European nights are as much about mental strength as the football,

Good point. Heads go faster in European games than league games - the aggregate score/away goal scenario ensure that players are always on edge, fearful, and have their minds on other parts of the game which they maybe shouldn't have. I've no doubt that if Roma get an early goal, Liverpool heads may, not drop, but might start of overthink things. We weathered the early storm at City, which was impressive defensively but will we get away with it twice if Roma score early? After beating Barca they will be formidable if they get an early one. Thankfully their manager ballsed up his tactics so much in the first leg that Pool are heavy favourites tonight, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Roma could do it too. Would PSG have expected to throw away a 4-0 lead, and an away goal, to go out last year to Barca? Likewise Barca thought a 4-1 lead was enough this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Unfortunately for Liverpool,Marcello is the only left back who can match Salahs speed,could klopp pull a masterstroke and change his gameplan? Doubt it myself

Unfortunately for Liverpool,Marcello is the only left back who can match Salahs speed,could klopp pull a masterstroke and change his gameplan? Doubt it myself
    No chance Marcelo is as quick as Mo, anyway the point isn't speed its the fact Marcelo position is normal half way up the pitch leaving Salah space, If he stays back to mark  Salah then a huge treat of Real is taken away from them ,
    Real's arrogance may be there down fall , they may just play there normal game and as we have seen Liverpool don't mind attacking teams its teams that sit in and are defensively sound that cause them problems,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lots of posters saying Liverpool are going to win the final this year. I didn't notice one Liverpool fan saying it in here though.

Real are favourites for the final, they are the only team to qualify for it so far. Liverpool still need to do a job tonight in Rome before they are even in Kiev.

Any talk of hockeying Real is just a bit silly.

One thing i noticed as well, a lot of people thinking pool have it won. Get through tonight and work from there.

Think people are forgettimg how good real are. They can rip any team in europe and do it well. I really dont see the case how its all about liverpool.
    I mean this is madrids 3rd final in four year, s, madness, they aint no push overs.

Dont see any liverpool posters get ahead of themselves though, they are focused on tonight which is fair enough to them on this site

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Lots of posters saying Liverpool are going to win the final this year. I didn't notice one Liverpool fan saying it in here though.

Real are favourites for the final, they are the only team to qualify for it so far. Liverpool still need to do a job tonight in Rome before they are even in Kiev.

Any talk of hockeying Real is just a bit silly.

One thing i noticed as well, a lot of people thinking pool have it won. Get through tonight and work from there.

Think people are forgettimg how good real are. They can rip any team in europe and do it well. I really dont see the case how its all about liverpool.
    I mean this is madrids 3rd final in four year, s, madness, they aint no push overs.

Dont see any liverpool posters get ahead of themselves though, they are focused on tonight which is fair enough to them on this site
    Your right the main target is tonight and then to secure 4th place at least in the Prem then worry about Madrid,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I didn’t say they can’t play well away from home. Do you not think the game at Anfield had any effect on the game at The Etihad? It will have a massive effect on how the game tonight plays out too.

Of course it had an effect but you did imply that they needed Anfield to play well against the big teams.

They beat Porto 5-0 away from home, they drew with Man Utd and Dortmund both away from home in the Europa in 15/16.
    They have the ability the play well away from home in Europe, that is all I'm saying.
    They'll need to play very well if they make it to Kiev though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I'd genuinely expect Ronaldo to be the one stepping up and not Salah. Maybe it's because i remember the United game and how easily Salah was nullified and so i don't see him as unstoppable at all, whereas Ronaldo is Ronaldo and has proven his big game ability time and again.

Ronaldo didn't seem too unstoppable last night

Mr.H wrote: »

Ronaldo didn't seem too unstoppable last night
    That kind of worries you , He rarely has a bad run of games 
    He played poor and didn't effect either of  the  Bayern games that won't continue for long ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Of course it had an effect but you did imply that they needed Anfield to play well against the big teams.

No I did not. I said “that’s A factor that has served them well”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't wait for this to start. Hopefully no early Roma goal, although Pool did conceed early v City and managed to come back well to win 2-1.
    I fully expect to have spells under the cosh tonight, hoping our defence can soak it up and see the front 3 do what they do best and break with speed and skill to finish the tie with a couple of goals.

Hopefully no dodgy pens or reds to ruin the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Marcelo as fast as Salah?
    Not in this lifetime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Roma don't conceed at home.....9 minutes !

That's pretty much the end of that then, Roma would at the very very least want to be ahead at the half to have a realistic chance to keep in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Roma are muck.

How is God's name did they beat barca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

FFS....

C'mon 5-2 Roma and extra time!

Great run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

He'll score where he wants
    He'll score where he wants
    Georgie boy scores where he wants

Pool score 2 in 25 in Rome, I would think there are more goals there for them.

Just four unanswered goals needed for Roma now and they can unleash the masterplan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think Real were making the sorts of errors Roma have been consistently making. Liverpool haven't really put to bed the notion they've errors in them.

The biggest thing will be how they approach the game. You would think they'll stick Casemiro in and try and win the battle. Not that Kroos, Modric, Kovacic are particularly lacking in industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Roma were meant to be invincible at home hey? I can actually see 2 united fans having mini strokes here beside me. The chat has changed from a roma comeback to a former united ronaldo doing us in the final quicker than a liverpool counter attack.
    One of the most enjoyable thing about a CL run is the bitterness shown are how klopp has kept on smiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The chat has changed from a roma comeback

What chat? The chat in this thread all day has been about how Liverpool would fare against Madrid in the final, with the odd disclaimer about knowing Liverpool still had to qualify thrown in for forms sake. If anybody was predicting a Roma comeback they sure predicted it quietly.

Think he meant the lads he is watching with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dzekoooooooooooooooo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this the Liverpool team that's going to destroy Madrid in the final?

Righteo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool looking tired. The problem when you can't rotate much due to all the injuries.

Roma just not doing what liverpool did last week and convert their chances

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this the Liverpool team that's going to destroy Madrid in the final?

Righteo.

Not sure who said they would destroy Real, but you're right.

Pool have no chance.

Might aswell stay at home.

Scored more goals than anyone.

Pools front 3 have scored more than any other front 3 in Champions lge history, overtaking Reals Ronnie, Benzema, Bale.

But you are right.

Real are clearly unbeatable.

Pool have no chance.

Reals to lose, might not even watch now........righteo;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Bit of a mixed game. Exciting with the scores but some of the defending was shocking.

It should be a good final though. Both sides will go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Final will have a final score of 11-9.

• Advertisement
Advertisement