Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

1636465666769»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Probably going to be one of the highest scoring finals in a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

osarusan wrote: »
    Final will have a final score of 11-9.

As long as Liverpool score 11, I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Up until tonight I fancied Liverpool to win it, because they had come through the different rounds looking more composed than any other team, and suffering fewer bad spells and scares than anybody else.

But that second half tonight makes me rethink it. It was never really that close to disaster given the fact that Roma needed 3, but the way Liverpool played was fairly woeful.

There was a 15-minute spell after Roma's second goal where they really fell away, and were lucky not to concede. They didn't survive because of what they did well tonight, rather, what Roma didn't do well enough.

I actually think it's going to be a fascinating final, with both managers maybe deciding that the only way to avoid their own defence being put under pressure is to go really attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fascinating final in prospect. Curious to see what tactics Klopp uses against Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not sure why Liverpool are being written off so quickly on the back of one result.

If we've learned anything about this side it's that losing one game 4-2 doesn't stop them winning the next one 4-2, and the quality of opposition is largely irrelevant in both cases.

Fair play to them, it'll be a great final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Never would have imagined making the final after qualifying last August after playing Hoffenhiem.
    Any side going for 3 in a row are always going to be favourites but I'm hoping Liverpool find their legs when the league ends as they were absolutely out on their feet late on. A lack of a bench is a real difference maker for Real who started a strong XI last night without Carvajal, Bale, Isco & Casemiro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fascinating final in prospect. Curious to see what tactics Klopp uses against Zidane.

And likewise.

ZZ has looked a bit clueless tactically over the last few rounds of the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

On Paddy Real are currently 8/11 to lift the trophy, Liverpool are 11/10. If that sticks I think I'll throw a few bob on Real but it's far fro a given and should be a fun final above all else.

Apologies in advance for jinxing it into being a 1-0 win to whoever caused by a 4th minute OG with only two attempts on goal for the rest of the match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

osarusan wrote: »

I actually think it's going to be a fascinating final, with both managers maybe deciding that the only way to avoid their own defence being put under pressure is to go really attacking.

That's exactly how I see it.

Tonight's game has to be viewed differently from a one off game, especially with a 3 goal lead.
    A one off game, go hell for leather and see what happens.

Liverpool are back at the top table.

So many 'neutrals' will be having the nightmare scenario of Number 6 arriving to Liverpool.

The rest will be looking foward to what can only be described as the best pairing for the final, goals galore, defences with issues and so much to look foward to.
    Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Essien wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Liverpool are being written off so quickly on the back of one result.

If we've learned anything about this side it's that losing one game 4-2 doesn't stop them winning the next one 4-2, and the quality of opposition is largely irrelevant in both cases.

Fair play to them, it'll be a great final.

Squad of depth, Real's third final in four years, they are used to playing in the CL finals.

Not writting of liverpool, but that Madrid team knows how to win a CL final.

But on the night anything can go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I have a feeling it will be a comfortable win for Real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Billy86 wrote: »
    On Paddy Real are currently 8/11 to lift the trophy, Liverpool are 11/10. If that sticks I think I'll throw a few bob on Real but it's far fro a given and should be a fun final above all else.

Apologies in advance for jinxing it into being a 1-0 win to whoever caused by a 4th minute OG with only two attempts on goal for the rest of the match.

In a game with Ronaldo, gtfo
    *maybe on target

Ive a feeling you'll be wrong.

:)

UEFA might ban these Roma ****s now from europe. Nothing against the team, but the fans are woeful. If they continue to go unpunished it'll be some farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The final could end up 6 - 5 either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Stranger things have certainly happened.

It's an absolutely fascinating tie.

Liverpool can little afford to go behind at any stage. If there's ever a situation where Real take the lead, the pendulum will massively swing in their favour, because they're just so lethal in how they execute their attack. They can look like they're bumbling around for 20 minutes and then just walk through your defence in an instant, and Liverpool are certainly not bulletproof (although I think performances against City will be more indicative than against Roma, where everything went a bit mad, and the refs were atrocious).

A lot can change between now and then. Liverpool could really do with the likes of Lallana coming back in, because they'll need legs and quality off the bench to avoid a collapse late on, even if they had seemingly manged put the game to bed at that stage.
    There's been no word from Can either, and he'd be another useful weapon.
    Liverpool can't afford any more injuries.

Real have the likes of Bale keeping his powder dry last night, Isco not featuring, and few players actually performing to their standard, so there's certainly a lot more in their locker than they've shown since that first leg performance against Juve.

Real keep cutting it fine, year in year out and sooner or later you get caught out if that keeps happening.

The final could end up 6 - 5 either way.

Ronaldo cant score two hat-tricks

Bale, benzema and kroos will have to get the other 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Final should be fun. Good for football to see positive football prevail above all else. When teams are successful playing a certain way it tends to lead to copycat styles for a few years so that bodes well for entertainment.

Of course Real are faves but they've been far from invincible this year unlike last where they were sweeping sides aside with ease in this comp. But Liverpool are annoyingly good in this competition usually and very often play above the sum of their parts so you'd be foolish to dismiss their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this the Liverpool team that's going to destroy Madrid in the final?

Righteo.

And if you look back only people who have been saying that are non Liverpool fans on boards at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It kinda is faulty logic to state that teams will fancy beating them because of the defence, when the team we expect to play them has an even worse defence again.

Liverpool may have improved defensively but damn sure I would rather have Navas, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Caravjal with Casemiro, Kroos and Modric in front of them than the Liverpool selection. Like I say, in my opinion Madrid are better man for man in every area of the pitch, so why is Madrids defence the important factor here? Why not Liverpools?

Hard not to feel a little vindicated after watching that. Anybody who thought the final would be about Salah/Mane/Firmino against the Real defence was looking at the wrong end of the pitch.

Semi Final Results
    Real Madrid (ESP) 2 V 2 Bayern München (GER) (Agg 4-3)
    Roma (ITA) 4 V 2 Liverpool (ENG) (Agg 6-7)

2017-18 UEFA Champions League Final
    Saturday 26th May

Real Madrid (ESP) V Liverpool (ENG)

Hard not to feel a little vindicated after watching that. Anybody who thought the final would be about Salah/Mane/Firmino against the Real defence was looking at the wrong end of the pitch.

On the other hand, this same defence, in different circumstances where they set out to defend solidly, managed to keep a better attacking team than Real down to around 1 serious chance (debateably the result of a foul in the first place) in 180 minutes of football.

Liverpool will pay Real more respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Bayern Munched
    They were indeed.

They were indeed.

Ha apple auto correct

Gbear wrote: »
    Liverpool will pay Real more respect.

Again though I think people in general have it backward.

Liverpool won't show Real more respect, they aren't that adaptable. Madrid on the other hand...

I honestly think people expecting a rip roaring final are in for a shock, I think Zidane will go pragmatic as hell, he will create a tight cagey match with extra bodies in midfield, deny Liverpool their head in attack and then pick them off 2 or 3 times over the course of the 90 minutes.

• Advertisement

Liverpool won't show Real more respect, they aren't that adaptable. Madrid on the other hand...

I honestly think people expecting a rip roaring final are in for a shock, I think Zidane will go pragmatic as hell, he will create a tight cagey match with extra bodies in midfield, deny Liverpool their head in attack and then pick them off 2 or 3 times over the course of the 90 minutes.

Handy one for Real.

Taking part is all that matters.

That was exactly the way Liverpool played against City, so I don't see any lack of adaptability there.
    I can't see any case where Madrid don't dominate possession.

I think a big question is how well they deal with Liverpool's press.
    They have serious quality in midfield to bail them out and all throughout the backline, so it's less likely they'll be making cock ups like Roma have in both legs. Then they have great hold up play in Ronaldo and Benzema and depending on who else plays, they'll have plenty of options behind.

For me the main thing about the game is reputation. I don't think you can really point to much this season to show how the game goes.

I think it's more a question of the constantly swelling European trophy cabinet with Real. They find a way, by hook or by crook.
    Even in a relatively comfortable final against Juve, it was a Casemiro shot a bit out of nowhere that got them back in control of the game.

Gbear wrote: »
    That was exactly the way Liverpool played against City, so I don't see any lack of adaptability there.
    I can't see any case where Madrid don't dominate possession.

Not sure I get you? I would have said that Liverpool showed City no respect either, they went out and got in their faces, pressed hard and went for it, as they do quite often.

And they will try the same in the final, I just think that Zidane will be more pragmatic than Pep was in anticipating that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Could be the highest scoring final ever, two very potent attacking teams with less than stellar defenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    Could be the highest scoring final ever, two very potent attacking teams with less than stellar defenses.

Both teams have the ability to score 3 or 4 goals in a 20 minute spell that rips their opponents apart.

Both teams have defenses that collapse aand appear shaky.

Game could be 5-0 to either team, or 5-5. I think it's genuinely impossible to call.

Should make for a fascinating tie anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Told ye,nothing to worry about.

Why is your man saying Liverpool have the most goals in cl history this season?

Are they not still a few behind Barcelona on 40odd and Madrid on 41 or 42 or something?

That's 40 for the season is it not?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Are they not still a few behind Barcelona on 40odd and Madrid on 41 or 42 or something?

Headline on UEFA.com

Liverpool break Champions League goals record

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2554546.html?iv=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it depends how you calculate it and include the qualifying round or not. it's one of these things the anti-Liverpool crowd have latched onto that Liverpool fans don't really care about, you know golden boot, POTY, this. It's a nice stat nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Great achievement us making the UCL final. Really fancy our chances in a one off game against real madrid. I noticed a lot of the english pundits all backing us to win and I hope we do. Real Madrid have recent experience of finals but they also have every trick in the book so a strong ref needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

eagle eye wrote: »

An Alaves-Liverpool 2001 score anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it depends how you calculate it and include the qualifying round or not. it's one of these things the anti-Liverpool crowd have latched onto that Liverpool fans don't really care about, you know golden boot, POTY, this. It's a nice stat nothing else.

Ah I see, it's including the qualifiers is it? That makes sense then. Rte obviously just took it from the main competition only with their table.

Some Liverpool fans surely care since it was mentioned? I agree with you actually, it's a nice stat nothing else. If ye do win the competition though it would certainly add to the achievement, even if it has an asterisk beside it that's some amount if goals 40 in 12 in the main competition is over 3 a game average as it is before taking the qualifiers into account.

Record breaking seasons are always nice :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

13-04-2018, 13:31
    Maybe UEFA's dream Final in the Champions League is Real V Liverpool :eek:

Ref decisions, conspiracy theories :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

- 13-04-2018, 13:31

Ref decisions, conspiracy theories :eek:

The Roma manager was in on it too, playing that ridiculous high-line at Anfield. :eek:

I'm joking, of course. Or am I?

Advertisement