Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dortmund last night played into Reals hands with their suicidal high line.

Theyre going to have to win at least 3 of their last 4 games and probably avoid defeat at the Bernabeu if they want to finish 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is Peter Bosz for you.
    There is a reason he has won **** all as a manager.
    It is a bit strange because as a player he was more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Atletico chelsea the pick of tonight's matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Keith Andrews is presenting now.....ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Dunphy on Fellaini just now is vintage stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Eamon Dunphy, the biggest spoofer on TV. Changes his opinion more times than the weather changes. His thoughts on Fellaini the latest case in point tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Atletico chelsea the pick of tonight's matches.

After PSG vs Bayern. The 2nd and 3rd favourites to win the competition facing off in the group stage.

Chelsea game is interesting though, Conte's Juventus never did great in Europe despite coasting to every league. It's the one big achievement left for him to become a real great.

Rekop dog wrote:
    After PSG vs Bayern. The 2nd and 3rd favourites to win the competition facing off in the group stage.

No Robben, Ribery, Hummels or Boateng in the starting XI for Bayern. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Darragh on RTE is bizarrely referring to CSKA as Seska just like Lineker on BT last night.
    When did this start and do they realise thats not how its pronounced ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That United kit is hideous. Worst I seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Dani Alves' career hasn't been bad has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Darragh on RTE is bizarrely referring to CSKA as Seska just like Lineker on BT last night.
    When did this start and do they realise thats not how its pronounced ?

Seska is a lot more accurate than C-S-K-A.

Lovely finish by Cavani. Bayern so poor defensively especially down their left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

PSG are the team i fancy to go all the way this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Luiz doing a Luiz, peno to atletico converted by Grease Man.

Looked a harsh pen in Madrid. You could give 20 of those a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Griezmann puts away a peno for 1-0 after Luiz hangs out of Lucas. Went down easy but Luiz had a handful of his shirt.

PSG look to be taring Bayern a new one on these counters.

ricero wrote:
    PSG are the team i fancy to go all the way this year

I fancy Bayern to.....do very little in the competition. Sule is running in quicksand on 1 vs 1's.
    PSG are shaky defensively tho. Fortunately they won't be punished by Muller & James Rodriguez I don't think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bayern look really poor this season.

Chelsea dominating and Cesc misses an open goal from 6 yards for a 2-1 lead. :rolleyes:

Probably the best I've seen any team play this year so far. Total football from PSG tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Benfica are losing 5-0 to Basel :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

David Luiz lol

Last minute Chelsea winner well deserved, get in. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Chelsea with the last touch of the game! 1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 2 Results
    Group A

Basel (SUI) 5 V 0 Benfica (POR)
    CSKA Moskva (RUS) 1 V 4 Manchester United (ENG)

Group B
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 3 V 0 Bayern München (GER)
    Anderlecht (BEL) 0 V 3 Celtic (SCO)

Group C
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) 1 V 2 Chelsea (ENG)
    Qarabağ (AZE) 1 V 2 Roma (ITA)

Group D
    Sporting CP (POR) 0 V 1 Barcelona (ESP)
    Juventus (ITA) 2 V 0 Olympiacos (GRE)

Group E
    Sevilla (ESP) 3 V 0 Maribor (SVN)
    Spartak Moskva (RUS) 1 V 1 Liverpool (ENG)

Group F
    Manchester City (ENG) 2 V 0 Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    Napoli (ITA) 3 V 1 Feyenoord (NED)

Group G
    Monaco (FRA) 0 V 3 Porto (POR)
    Beşiktaş (TUR) 2 V 0 RB Leipzig (GER)

Group H
    Borussia Dortmund (GER) 1 V 3 Real Madrid (ESP)
    APOEL (CYP) 0 V 3 Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)

Dominated for about 70mins and missed an open goal, we were well worth the win, the goal to win it was a well worked free kick too that was recycled.

Was delighted with a draw at Atleti but a last minute winner is brilliant.

Good result for Celtic tonight. They might even beat Bayern at home, ok maybe not but European football after Christmas is definitely possible now :p

4 out of 5 of the English sides have 100% records in the CL so far, thats pretty good going, especially for Spurs who have been handed the toughest group of all the English sides.

Looking good to have at least 4 in the draw for the round of 16 and I wouldnt rule out Pool getting through either.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule out Pool getting through either.

I would :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I would :P

You definitely would. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

English teams have 26/30 points after 2 rounds.. Liverpool only team to drop points

I'd give Liverpool a better chance than Spurs. Group is so soft. Spurs still have to go to Dortmund and 2 games vs Madrid so hard to see them getting a whole lot of points from that.

Chelsea look all over the best side in England though. Ridiculously difficult start to the season fixture wise but have gone and got wins at Atleti and Spurs albeit both at new homes but that's still form of the highest quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd give Liverpool a better chance than Spurs. Group is so soft. Spurs still have to go to Dortmund and 2 games vs Madrid so hard to see them getting a whole lot of points from that.

Chelsea look all over the best side in England though. Ridiculously difficult start to the season fixture wise but have gone and got wins at Atleti and Spurs albeit both at new homes but that's still form of the highest quality.

All they have to do now is get a point against Dortmund and they are probably through, all being realistic.

Pools group is easier than Spurs but theyve made a balls of it so far.

I think Pool will finish at least 2nd and Spurs have it in their own hands to finish at least 2nd too.

All round, not bad going from the English sides so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent from Celtic tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Bayern are in a full on crisis. Two draws in the league already and now getting thumped 3:0 in the Champions League never looking like they could score a goal last night. I'm sure they'll get out of the group no problem, but it does not look one bit Bayern like at the moment, can't see them going deep this year. Fun times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Italy after passing germany in the coefficiency table. I know it doesn't mean much now with four teams from the four leagues going through to the champions next year. Still it's interesting.

https://www.football-italia.net/110530/serie-moves-uefa-rankings

Well Ancelotti is gone from Bayern, like Pep before, domestic success was easy to come by but in Europe, he failed.

• Advertisement

Bayern are a weird one; some of the players just aren't playing at the level they were 2 or 3 years ago (Alaba, Muller, Boateng, Hummels) & others like Ribery is clearly a shadow of who he was, Robben is getting on in years too. I said it in the summer i'm baffled they look at Coman & Gnabry(who's out on loan) as ever being replacements for them 2.
    I don't see how Ancelotti being sacked changes their fortunes long term, they'll probably win the Bundesliga as Dortmund aren't going to always keep clean sheets at the rate they have domestically.

Carlos only won a handful of domestic titles in his career, Europe is usually where he excels.

Any decent manager should win the German league with Bayerns squad, given the funds available when compared to the rest of the league.

It'll be interesting to see who they replace him with, I hope its not Naglesmann just yet but he could be a long term target for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Sagnol in the interim, and my guess would be Tuchel taking over next week (International break). The Bayern Bosses have said a few times in the past that they are impressed with Tuchel's work etc. and see him as a Bayern Coach some day.

DubDani wrote:
    Sagnol in the interim, and my guess would be Tuchel taking over next week (International break). The Bayern Bosses have said a few times in the past that they are impressed with Tuchel's work etc. and see him as a Bayern Coach some day.

Isn't Tuchel very confrontational & that is what his problems were at Dortmund.
    I was listening to a podcast & they were saying he told Subotic to leave after he travelled to the hotel & wasn't in the squad for a cup or super cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Maybe they get Klopp in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Carlos only won a handful of domestic titles in his career, Europe is usually where he excels.

Any decent manager should win the German league with Bayerns squad, given the funds available when compared to the rest of the league.

It'll be interesting to see who they replace him with, I hope its not Naglesmann just yet but he could be a long term target for Bayern.

Almost certainly will be Nagelsmann, they were going to get him at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well Ancelotti is gone from Bayern, like Pep before, domestic success was easy to come by but in Europe, he failed.

They been dreadful this year domestically and last season they were meh. Which isn't really a good indicator for Carlo.:(

Guy should get the Italian national team now.

Turtwig wrote: »
    They been dreadful this year domestically and last season they were meh. Which isn't really a good indicator for Carlo.:(

Guy should get the Italian national team now.

Ya, I said the same in the Chelsea thread, if they dont make the WC or have a poor showing, Carlo could be drafted in for one last hooray at management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'd like to see Klopp take over

• Advertisement

Montella won't last at Milan, I'd say we'd take Carlo back. His league record was poor though during his initiation spell, arguably had the best side in Europe for much of his spell but only won the one Scutetto in all that time which was a very poor return. Obviously his European success papered over those cracks though, but even at that there were a few embarrassing losses such a Deportivo's and Liverpool's unlikely comebacks.

Advertisement