Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do in the situation?

Options
  • 18-06-2017 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

I moved into a house two weeks ago. I share the house with 4 others. The landlord isn't registered with the PRTB however, this is not the problem.
    The landlord comes and goes as he pleases. This morning he opened my bedroom door and said ''good morning'' at 10.am. He enters the house around the same time everyday to check if everything is alright and he's constantly questioning what other people are doing in the house, what their work hours are etc.
    I don't normally report people for no good reason but if a landlord doesn't even have the decency to knock before he enters my room then there is a serious problem.
    I'm guessing I have to move out but I want to report him first. I think he could also be claiming squatters rights because he wants to give the impression he is here everyday.
    Like I said, I am not a vindictive person, but he crossed the line this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Some stranger walked into your bedroom.

Call the guards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home. .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

I'd be recording him doing this the next time and banking the huge payout from the RTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

That is completely unacceptable behaviour. Entering the house, let alone the your bedroom. Disgraceful.

I'd say you should considering getting out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't take that op.

Do not allow him in and make sure others are the same.

A ll must give notice of intent and can not just let themselves in whenever they want.

Report to RTB and if I were you I would contact him stating the law.

If he enters again call the cops and have him removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are you sure he doesn't live there?

This is not normal behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Why do people such as this landlord do things like this? I mean, anyone with a brain knows that you shouldn't just waltz into someone's house never mind their bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Why do people such as this landlord do things like this? I mean, anyone with a brain knows that you shouldn't just waltz into someone's house never mind their bedroom.

Usually absolute fools or they have a huge attachment to the property and its furnishings even if its a dive.

I've the experience of living in a dump from the 70's with a green toilet and kitchen from that era also.

They came to view 4 tagged along and they thought the couch was so comfortable... A gone off old pink 3 seated worn to sh1t and it now resides in the garage.
    They can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I get the feeling that the LL is trying to get Rent a Room by proving he is there most of the time.

Have you a lease OP, or are you a lodger?

If you have a lease tell him to back off pronto and get onto RTB. And put a lock on your door.

If you are a lodger only, get out. Only way sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

So if you weren't in this morning at 10am, would he just have opened your bedroom door and had a look around your room anyway?
    Completely inappropriate behaviour from a landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's obviously totally inappropriate, and I'm not trying to say otherwise, but are you a tenant or a licensee (in the landlords eyes)? Does your landlord have stuff in an empty room or something and is keeping that as his "space" and claiming he resides there or are ye supposed to have exclusive use of the whole property?
    Either way, him coming into bedrooms is totally wrong, and you can't be putting up with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I think he could also be claiming squatters rights because he wants to give the impression he is here everyday.

If the landlord owns the property, why would he want to claim squatters rights?

Advertisement