Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile site stripping accents / special characters?

Options
  • 18-06-2017 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I just posted something with a line in French and all the accents were stripped and replaced with ? marks

Voilà un exemplaire - a French tongue twister :

Bonjour madame la saucissière,
    combien vendez-vous ces six saucisses-là ?
    Je les vends six sous,
    six sous ci,
    six sous ça,
    six sous ces six saucisses.

Edit:
    And
    Now it's displaying correctly ?!! A little while later.

Explain?!

Posting on latest version of safari on an iPhone
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

that seems to have posted with accents and non-english characters.

Some security measures will strip out potentially harmful characters (those that can be adjusted to be read as something more meaningful to a system such as vbulletin or php in general)

Is the text displaying as you would expect it to? Could it be your browser that is not displaying the correct character encoding?

(I've attached a screenshot of what I see when I look at your post.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

It's weird, it stripped out all the chars on the initial post, that was definitely displaying incorrectly with ? in place of chars. Then, on the exact same browser, returning to the post some time later, the letters were fine.

Very strange.

Perhaps try it out yourself on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Could have been the vbulletin equivalent of a brainfart with the style pages. I'll flag your post for the techies, it may be a clue to something they need to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi BinkingLights,

this is a known site issue at the moment - for some reason, special characters and accented letters are not being processed correctly by the site. As for as I'm aware, the dev team are working on a fix.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057726032

Advertisement