Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help deciding on first bike (tall rider)

• 18-06-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey guys, due to a recent unplanned job change I can no longer commute by bicycle. I've been intruiged by the idea of getting a motorcycle for some years now but this has forced the hand. I know very little about bikes but have educated myself a small amount over the previous few weeks. I've also never rode a bike.

I am interested in a 600cc bike but am limited by choice somewhat as I'm on a budget of around €2000 for the bike and my height is a huge factor for me hoping to find something comfortable. I'm 6'6" and 16stone. I've been looking at Fazers, Bandits, V-Stroms and an F650GS I'm hoping to view this week. Ideally, I'd like a V-Storm for comfort but can't find any in my price range.

I'll be going for my IBT on an A licence in approx. 2 weeks time and the guy I'm doing it with has a Fazer so I'll get a spin on that. I like the look of the F650GS but I have a feeling it's gonna be snapped up this Friday.

One thing that has me slightly concerned about the BMW is it's a single cylinder and I've heard it will be more twitchy in the low RPM's. I'm not sure if this is good or bad for a novice. I've also heard four inline engines are the way to go.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could offer any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm 6'1 and ride an 800GS. Love it. Great comfort and good view over traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

When doing the IBT, try ride as many different bike as you can and get a feel for which one that way would be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Paulw wrote: »
    I'm 6'1 and ride an 800GS. Love it. Great comfort and good view over traffic.
    That's a very attractive bike. The look of the dual sports appeals to me the most. Also, the versatility. 

Great idea. Hopefully the IBT guy has a few different options available. Thanks for the helpful advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

have you had a look at http://cycle-ergo.com/

it's not perfect but will give you a good idea..

I'm 5 foot 10 with around a 34" inseam.. the japanese bike makers have a full size cut out of me in their design rooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

h
    I'm 5 foot 10 with around a 34" inseam.. the japanese bike makers have a full size cut out of me in their design rooms

haha!

• Advertisement

have you had a look at http://cycle-ergo.com/

it's not perfect but will give you a good idea..

That's a pretty sweet tool. Nice one brother! And, your a jammy dog! Hah

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

An adventure style bike would definitely suit someone of your height.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Im 6 foot 4 and I ride a sv650s and find it comfortable.

I thought the bandit was way too small.

A vstrom would probable be perfect for you

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Im 6 foot 4 and I ride a sv650s and find it comfortable.

I thought the bandit was way too small.

A vstrom would probable be perfect for you

I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a V-strom. That seems to be the most suitable from what I've read/been advised.

I seen a Bandit 650S yesterday parked up and it looked surprisingly small alright. Which is a shame cause an uncle of mine whose into buying bikes at auction and doing work on them has a smashing low mileage one that's right in my price range and I'd effectively be getting a warranty with it if I went for it. Dang!

I missed the SV650S from my shortlist somehow. I'll keep an eye out for them as well incase they're a nice fit.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I haven't tried a bandit 650 but I sat on the 600 and it was tiny.

What engine v-strom are you looking for?

Whats your price range?

• Advertisement

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I haven't tried a bandit 650 but I sat on the 600 and it was tiny.

What engine v-strom are you looking for?

Whats your price range?

Apologies on the late reply. I was looking at the 650cc V-Stroms but they're a little pricey. My budget is around €2500. The cheapest V-Stroms I can find are around the 3k mark and they're quite high mileage.

I was looking at a Honda Transalp XL650V that looks like it'd be right up my alley.

Apologies on the late reply. I was looking at the 650cc V-Stroms but they're a little pricey. My budget is around €2500. The cheapest V-Stroms I can find are around the 3k mark and they're quite high mileage.

I was looking at a Honda Transalp XL650V that looks like it'd be right up my alley.

Maybe check out the Kwak versys too, same family.

zubair wrote: »
    Maybe check out the Kwak versys too, same family.

I'd had a gander for them previously. There doesn't seem to be many on the market used. I've just been using donedeal to scout. Are they're any other places worth having a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Will not go far wrong with a Vstrom 650 and they are plentiful to buy very reliable and comfortable. Most of them sell with full luggage too......

How long is the commute.....if its not that long you would get away with a smaller bike but I would deffo get an upright sports tourer/adventure bike at that size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm 6'2'' and riding a Vstrom DL650. Its very comfortable, but be aware that buffeting can be a problem for tall riders. However the screen is adjustable.

At anything over 6 you're going to look like a parrot on a circus bike if you go the Bandit, SV, FZ route, they're just too small. Great engines, but physically small.

You might fit a Transalp too, they're cheap and once the rectifier has been replaced (most are) they're a very robust bike.

Have you considered a Honda Deauville 650?.

Have you considered a Honda Deauville 650?.

... or a push bike?

... or a push bike?

Although not the most exciting bike they're actually a very, very good commuter. One of the best in fact.

Cheap to run, very reliable and will put up huge mileage, great weather protection and have luggage carrying capacity.

Some really nice bikes in the OP's budget HERE (CLICK HERE).

For a pure commuter hack is there a better bike then a DULLVILLE in fairness.....I really dont think so.

... or a push bike?

Although not the most exciting bike they're actually a very, very good commuter. One of the best in fact.

Cheap to run, very reliable and will put up huge mileage, great weather protection and have luggage carrying capacity.

Some really nice bikes in the OP's budget HERE (CLICK HERE).
    As I was saying earlier, I have a family member who has a heap of used bikes up for sale. He initially tried to sqay me towards a Deauville 650. He has four of them ready to go in decent shape. But alas, I find them absolutely hideous to look at. I'd consider myself quite practical in terms of things I purchase normally going for substance over style but I just can't bring myself around to the idea. I'm probably being a complete idiot but I really prefer the looks of the V-Strom or Transalp. I'm gonna have a look at a couple and probably settle on one of them. I will reconsider the Deauville though. 
    I'm very grateful for all the help and advice. Thanks!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Will not go far wrong with a Vstrom 650 and they are plentiful to buy very reliable and comfortable. Most of them sell with full luggage too......

How long is the commute.....if its not that long you would get away with a smaller bike but I would deffo get an upright sports tourer/adventure bike at that size.
    It's only 20km. Something tells me I'll be doing a lot of riding in my leisure time also so looking for something I'll enjoy riding about and something I won't want/need to upgrade size wise in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

It's only 20km. Something tells me I'll be doing a lot of riding in my leisure time also so looking for something I'll enjoy riding about and something I won't want/need to upgrade size wise in the next couple of years.

Well then dont get a DULLVILE, I really think a VSTROM 650 ticks all the boxes for you. Then when you get comfortable and want a bit more power the 1000 will sort you.

CBF1000 is also a good commuter but is starting to show its yrs looks wise.

You also can't do the test on a dullville.

But the advantage is you won't have to worry about bike security...;)

Wonda and Leppla aren't short lads and I know they started on the fazer, surprised it's too small for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

adjustable rearsets and tank risers could really open up the options too

You also can't do the test on a dullville.

But the advantage is you won't have to worry about bike security...;)

Wonda and Leppla aren't short lads and I know they started on the fazer, surprised it's too small for you.

Brian was on a SV650 and in the poodle position, the FZ6 was a grand bike and an Ideal starter bike.

Although I ride a Vstrom now I think they're a hideous looking thing until you beef them up with a bash plate & engine guards. But they're really comfortable and a miser on petrol.

Although I ride a Vstrom now I think they're a hideous looking thing until you beef them up with a bash plate & engine guards. But they're really comfortable and a miser on petrol.

I think the Vstrom sounds like the best of the lot. I like the look of them an all. They all seem to around €3500 which is a bit over budget but I'm gonna try my luck and see can I swing one for around the €2700 mark or maybe even €3000. I figure the comfort and enjoyment will be worth the few quid extra. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah and that's all great Mak but you forgot the most important thing!!!!!

What are they like for wheelies??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I'm 6'6" and 16stone. I've been looking at Fazers, Bandits, V-Stroms and an F650GS I'm hoping to view this week. Ideally, I'd like a V-Storm for comfort but can't find any in my price range.

I think you would find the f650gs too small. I had one for a few years, and am only 5ft 4 (female). Found it the perfect size for me and my short legs. Husband is 6ft, and looked very cramped on it. It is much smaller than the V-Strom, or even a bandit 6, which is what I have now.

alf66 wrote: »
    I think you would find the f650gs too small. I had one for a few years, and am only 5ft 4 (female). Found it the perfect size for me and my short legs. Husband is 6ft, and looked very cramped on it. It is much smaller than the V-Strom, or even a bandit 6, which is what I have now.

I dodged the F650GS thankfully. I read a few things that put me off. I'm up and down like a yo-yo. I only really started researching bikes the last few weeks but I think I got it whittled down now to either or Vstrom or versys. I just gotta root one out now for a price I can afford. The versys is very easy on the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I dodged the F650GS thankfully. I read a few things that put me off. I'm up and down like a yo-yo. I only really started researching bikes the last few weeks but I think I got it whittled down now to either or Vstrom or versys. I just gotta root one out now for a price I can afford. The versys is very easy on the eyes.

The Versys is a lovely looking bike. I had the Kawasaki er-6n, which is similar to the versys, only smaller. Great fun bike to ride :)

Advertisement