Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this tree look dead?

Options
  • 18-06-2017 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I got a tree cut back last year, I just noticed it doesn't look the best. Hardly any leafs left on it and those that are on it look dead.

Does it look dead to you? there is a similar type of tree in another part of garden and it is full of leaves.

Should I cut it down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The pics are not great, but from what I can see it looks pretty dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yep, you killed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

looksee wrote: »
    The pics are not great, but from what I can see it looks pretty dead.

I had a pic of the full tree but it was too big to load up

Larger view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Scrape off some bark with your nail and if you see green, there is still life. It might come back better next year or it mightn't be worth keeping.

• Advertisement

I'm just guessing but it looks like some sort of ornamental fruit tree Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii' perhaps, if so if its not doing its stuff by the second week of June its very unlikely to be doing anything anytime soon.

A word about pruning Prunus, mostly the name is an oxymoron and its often said "Prunus - don't prunus". OK so you can prune them but it needs a lot more thought and correct timing than your average tree.

my3cents wrote: »
    I'm just guessing but it looks like some sort of ornamental fruit tree Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii' perhaps, if so if its not doing its stuff by the second week of June its very unlikely to be doing anything anytime soon.

A word about pruning Prunus, mostly the name is an oxymoron and its often said "Prunus - don't prunus". OK so you can prune them but it needs a lot more thought and correct timing than your average tree.

No idea what it is to be honest, it was there when I bought the house.

I didn't prune it back myself, it was done by a gardener. I would have guessed he knew what he was doing but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

here's a bit of traditional gardenin wisdom:

"It is as foolish not to prune a peach as it is to prune a cherry."

Looking at the third picture there doesn't seem to be enough (or much at all) pruning to kill the tree so I wouldn't blame the gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Prunus is susceptible to silver-leaf disease if pruned - less so if pruned in summer when it is growing vigorously but it is not recommended to prune them for this reason.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Prunus is susceptible to silver-leaf disease if pruned - less so if pruned in summer when it is growing vigorously but it is not recommended to prune them for this reason.

It was done last August/September. Don't know exact dates but late August/early September

Advertisement