Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a plumbing business

Options
  • 18-06-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone I'm thinking of starting my own plumbing business and have a few questions especially for the tradesmen.

How hard was it getting started

Did you need much money saved up

Did it take long to get a client base

Did you advertise and market your business

What advice would you give yourself starting out if you could go back

I'd a website essential these days where the internet is such a big thing

If you can answer any out even ask if these that would be sound out our if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Little bit about myself I'm 31 plumbing since I left school at 18. Experience in domestic, retail and commercial jobs, renewables especially solar and maintenance of factories. I have tools and would only need a few things to get started. No oftec or rgi but plan on doing them soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

Im not a tradesman but the questions you ask can be applied to starting any business, some of your questions are subjective around how much money you need and how long did it take to build a client base.

How much money you need is down to having a mortgage, kids and wife.

How long to build a client base is how hard you are prepared to work and to provide an excellent service to your customers.

You've been plumbing for 13 years, have you built up contacts over this time across the trade? lads who will send work your way, other trades, sparks etc? they will be your bread and butter while you're starting off and possibly for the next 3 years, can you subcontract with your boss or another company for a while?

RGI is a big one, you need to be registered even if its not doing gas, if you are out on a job and they ask for their boiler to be checked and you say you cant do it makes you look daft, i would be prioritising any certifications.

The advertising and marketing (website etc), yes it is essential to have a website or a facebook page or some online presence, forget about the golden pages. See what your competition are doing but my guess is that 80% of your business is going to be referral or word of mouth, 20% advertising. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

How much of a base have you got from nixers/friends/family income outside your main job?

Advertisement