Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I log about when I log about running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hellfire is around the corner from me - might give it a recce some day.

Here the link for IMRA they have a map of the route or what I use is https://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner

Looks like fun :D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94525067

OOH pity there is no new updates, but not to worry I think I will start a thread we could plan it for the new year and pick a route I can think of a few and we can decide and hopefully more come along :D

ReeReeG don't worry safety in numbers in saying that I have rarely seen many dogs off leads on trails the odd one if any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Baby75 wrote: »
    OOH pity there is no new updates, but not to worry I think I will start a thread we could plan it for the new year and pick a route I can think of a few and we can decide and hopefully more come along :D

ReeReeG don't worry safety in numbers in saying that I have rarely seen many dogs off leads on trails the odd one if any

Found a few more but haven't read them - they might give us some ideas:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057379715
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95015023

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'd love to come along but would need someone to be my protector from the inevitable dogs-off-lead...

if a meet-up ever happens of course :p

I've signed D up to be dog protector. I would but I'll be at the back.
    juke wrote: »
    I used to run up there with a friend a lot, loved it - never had a problem with dogs off lead - but I wouldn't be rushing up there on my own.

Good to note - thanks.
    eyrie wrote: »
    I loved reading this update! So good to hear you enjoying it that much. And I'm very envious of your training! I'll be following the 5k-10k plan myself once I get back to proper running.

Now this is an excellent idea! :D

It was just so hard for a while but it comes back, so don't be too dismayed if you feel the same.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Love this :)

How's the foot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

How's the foot?

It seems ok thank you. I'm trying to build up slowly which is easy enough this time of year when there's so much silly stuff going on to keep me occupied! I ran 15 miles over 3 runs last week and was quite happy with that :)

A bumper two-week update. Buckle up.

Wednesday, 19 December
    Plan: 6x3 min CV (5:26 - 5:34) w/3 recovery
    Total: 10k, including planned session.
    Splits: 5:31; 5:31; 5:32; 5:32; 5:31; and 5:30
    Avg HR: 152 Max HR: 172

In the middle of a very busy week, so a window and seized the opportunity to get a session in. Don’t remember too much apart from needing a pitstop in the middle.

Thursday, 20 December
    Plan: 1 hour very easy
    Total: 47:39 minutes easyish
    Avg pace: 7:12/km
    Avg HR: 144 Max HR: 159

Desperate for a run but also desperate for dinner, resulting in a slightly shortened run. Too fast but effort was in the recovery zone.

Saturday, 22 December
    Plan: 5x5 min Threshold (5:41 - 5:50) w/2 recovery
    Total: 9.59k, including planned session.
    Splits: 5:45; 5:39; 5:44; 5:39; and 5:44

No recollection apart from dillydallying before finally getting out the door in the late afternoon. Drove home early the following day and had lots to do meaning no long run. Shoulda done it before leaving. Not a great week before the week before Christmas is always mental in work, so it’s all about doing what I can.

Tuesday, 25 December
    Total: 1 hour easyish
    Avg pace: 7:10
    Avg HR: 157 Max HR 177

I thought it would be nice to do a Christmas morning parkrun and used it as an incentive to get out the door before Christmas breakfast and gifting began. I was so keen, I arrived an hour early. Never checked the time and realised after running a warm up to the racecourse that parkrun wasn’t happening for at least another hour. Did almost a freedom run and back to the car to head home for brunch feeling nicely smug. Slightly too fast pace because my legs were fresh and I ran with D but we chatted the entire way, so it was an easy enough effort.

Wednesday, 26 December
    Plan: 8 x 1 minute hills (2-3 min rec)
    Total: approx 9km incl Wexford GOAL mile
    Mile time: 7:55
    Avg HR: 161 Max HR 176

The GOAL mile was on my radar but the desire to participate in a Christmas day parkrun meant I didn’t think I’d bother with this. Having missed parkrun, I thought doing the mile would be a bit of a laugh and probably more motivating than the planned session. I’d no idea what to aim for, but I hoped I’d beat my JBells flying mile time of 8:30, which I managed, but I didn’t realise that until I double checked my time when I got home. I do have a mile PB of 7:40, so I was well off that, but it was only supposed to be a bit of fun. The “mile” was set up on the quay and was four laps essentially of two hundred metres out, switchback, two hundred metres back. Apart from the obvious disadvantage of so many switchbacks, it was a good setup with a separate course for the walkers. I took off at a good pace but took the foot off the gas a bit in the middle sections - mainly due to a lack of confidence and also not wanting to make a show of myself when “on the town”. Good craic, I have to say but should’ve been braver.

Thursday, 27 December
    Total: 1:10ish not really that easy at all at all
    Avg pace: 7:03/km ish

Dragged himself to a forest just outside New Ross to get some trail running in. Holiday mode well and truly engaged, I forgot my watch, but no matter as D decided to run with me. There were a number of waymarked routes, some of which took in 1798 sites, and it was fun. The last climb nearly killed me, though, and my legs were fairly jelly by the end.

Friday, 28 December
    Plan: 1 hour very easy or off
    Total: 1.15(ish) minutes
    Avg pace: 7:31/km
    Avg HR: 148 Max HR 161

My last Wexford run and I ran around my old stomping ground of the Raven Forest and North Slob. I enjoyed it so much, I extended it by 15 minutes not realising D had shortened his by 15 - oopsie. No ill effects reported from the previous day’s run and I kept a firm eye on my HR to keep the effort truly easy.

Saturday, 29 December
    Plan: 30 minute tempo
    Total: 10km, incl session
    Temp avg pace: 5:53/km
    Avg HR: 162 Max HR: 190

To Marlay for a jolly. I ran to the parkrun start and ran the first half of the route, nearly passing out on the wee speedbump at the start, before settling into a nice pace. Completed the tempo with a few laps in front of Marlay House, which was a bit of a slalom given how busy the park was. It felt tough at the outset but I settled into it nicely. A slightly longer warm up does help me. Better pace than the 25-minute version of this run.

Sunday, 30 December
    Plan: 1:45 easy
    Total: 1:45 (14.76km)
    Avg pace: 7:07/km
    Avg HR: 153 Max HR 183 (cadence lock, I think)
    I loved this run spent listening to a podcast about Comrades. Tried to work out what pace you’d have to run to beat the Comrades cut off, which kept me occupied for a good long time - still haven’t figured it out as it happens. I felt nice and strong on this run. Wee confession - I’m still doing these at my old easy pace, but it’s a pace I really enjoy running I’m kind of used to now from an almost year of running long runs at in or around 7/km.

A good week, a mix of following the plan interspersed with some different experiences and just enjoying myself. Slightly short of the 64km aim, with 63.8 run but nicely in line with the 2019 target of seven hours per week (approx 7.30, I think - trail run not recorded to Garmin). Might do a yearly roundup tomorrow, although it’ll be fairly boring but I could combine it with a goals post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Loads of variety in the running there over the last little while! Makes for good reading :) I'm very impressed/jealous you got out on Christmas morning! Hope you had a lovely Christmas, running aside.
    And yes to the round up/goals post please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve noticed your runs on Strava so was looking forward to reading your log. Best of luck going into 2019. You’ve had a great year.

Loads of variety in the running there over the last little while! Makes for good reading :) I'm very impressed/jealous you got out on Christmas morning! Hope you had a lovely Christmas, running aside.
    And yes to the round up/goals post please!

Since you asked nicely, I made two posts :) Looking forward to reading yours.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’ve noticed your runs on Strava so was looking forward to reading your log. Best of luck going into 2019. You’ve had a great year.

Your log is super helpful to me too. Reading about the sessions really helps put Strava into context. Nice shiny new paces for you now too.

My goal next year all links in with marathon training. I’m happy to take the focus away from PB-hunting for 2018 and concentrate on running consistently and getting the miles in. One thing that is pretty obvious to me is that I’m lacking substantially in the endurance department. While I’ll never be speedy, endurance is something I can improve and marathon training will hopefully help in this regard. If there is to be any secondary goal to running a marathon in 2018, it will be that my PBs start to line up a bit better and that the drop off from 5k to 10k, and so on, is not as significant.

Sometimes a bit of context is required. I was feeling more than a bit deflated after a great year of running came to an end earlier than planned end with a foot injury and recovery from the marathon taking longer than I’d expected. The above post, which I was reticent to write at the time, reminds me that the goals for 2018 were:
    1. to run a marathon; and
    2. to improve my endurance to bring my PBs in line with each other.

I think I realised that has I embarked upon my fourth year of running, PBs were going to become more difficult to come by, which is why I was, at the time, happy to focus on the marathon goal for 2018, hoping that my PBs would take a good hammering in 2019. That seems a bit less likely now but 2019 is for another post.

I ultimately achieved my main goal of 2018, which was to run a marathon being privileged enough to participate in the 45th Berlin marathon. The experience was one I wouldn’t change for the world. I loved every minute and, except for extreme nausea in the last 5k, felt strong for the entire race. It is an achievement that seemed far beyond me for much of my life and to actually feel as good as I did was beyond my wildest dreams and expectations.

My marathon experience was partly down to good fortune, some hard work and in no small part to the advice and encouragement I got from the folks here. I had found MurphD’s log invaluable when following the Faster Road Runner plans in 2017 and it was through his log that I found the Hanson plans. Using the half plan, I ran my best half ever, not only PBing but managing to remain strong throughout the race and not blow up as I’d done in every half I’ve raced previously. I still believe that HMM was the perfect choice for marathon training for me - the workouts not being as aggressive as some equivalent plans and the mileage being enough to stretch me and give me confidence without being so much as to result in overtraining. I’ll never forget the feeling at mile 21 or so of my legs picking up the pace and clicking into an almost autopilot of the pace I’d put in during miles and miles of long runs and tempo runs.

Another highlight of 2018 was running a four-minute PB at the Wexford half. I feel like I finally put my half marathon demons to bed, although it might be a distance that I’ll always have a fear of.

The rest of my races, albeit not too many, were less than stellar, starting with a disastrous attempt at a 10k PB in February and culminating in a hugely disappointing result at the Jingle Bells 5k, which was more than two minutes slower than last year. I also had a disappointing run at the Docklands 5k. Results are below:

Distance|2015|2016|2017||2018|
    5k|- |28:26|25:01|27:05|
    5 Mile|58:57|53:15|46:40|-|
    10k|1:08:58|59:53|56:42|57:26|
    10 mile|- |1:43|1:42|1:48|
    Half mara|- |2:18:08|2:12:58| 2:08|

Mileage increased by a sustainable amount in 2018, with 2,528 kms being run vs 2,150 kilometers in 2017 and 1371 kilometers in 2016. The increase in miles is largely down to improved consistency and I missed very few runs when on plan. I believe the only increase to mileage in 2019 will come from more consistent running when not on plan and hopefully staying injury free, but that’s for 2019’s post!

Boardsies, thanks to all for the help, support and camaraderie throughout the year - it’s been a great journey. You guys help me feel normal when I’m obsessing about which plan to choose, not being able to run when I’m injured and squeezing in a run when the weather is apocalyptic. Have a very happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's been a great year for you. The PBs over shorter distances will come. Happy New Year to you.

• Advertisement

Boardsies, thanks to all for the help, support and camaraderie throughout the year - it’s been a great journey. You guys help me feel normal when I’m obsessing about which plan to choose, not being able to run when I’m injured and squeezing in a run when the weather is apocalyptic. Have a very happy new year!

I love this - very very true!

Enjoyed reading your comments about Berlin again - your training was so steady and consistent and then you ran it in exactly the same way. The pbs will come for the other distances too. I’ve no doubt about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've thought about going back to podcasts for Sundays. Haven't done it in three years now and am little wary of the safety aspect due to some of the roads around here. We'll see.

Well done on the year. :)

Meant to tell you I got the Run Fast book as a Christmas present - haven’t opened it yet. Have you put it to use?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's been a great year for you. The PBs over shorter distances will come. Happy New Year to you.

Thanks and thanks for your help/comments throughout the year. It's appreciated. Happy 2019.
    I love this - very very true!

Enjoyed reading your comments about Berlin again - your training was so steady and consistent and then you ran it in exactly the same way. The pbs will come for the other distances too. I’ve no doubt about it.

Nothing else to write about :o
    I've thought about going back to podcasts for Sundays. Haven't done it in three years now and am little wary of the safety aspect due to some of the roads around here. We'll see.

Well done on the year. :)

It's rare that I listen to anything and it's pretty safe to do so where I run but I realised how much more vulnerable it makes you when crossing roads etc.
    Meant to tell you I got the Run Fast book as a Christmas present - haven’t opened it yet. Have you put it to use?

That's another goal to add to 2019's list!

I've always admired your steady approach Huzzah. You show amazing dedication to whatever training plan you follow and it's paid off, well done on a super year. I'm sorry the end of the year was a disappointment, i can empathise (as you know), but well done on pulling it back once you were able. Happy new year :)

A great update Huzzah I think you have done great over the last year and your PB in shorter distances will come.
    I am enjoying your log as we have similar paces so it will be interesting watching you this year

I love Raven wood on the little trails you have reminded me I must get down for a run there soon :D

Happy New year and Happy running

I almost forgot, now we can plan that trail run :) I think an easy one to start us off :)

I've always admired your steady approach Huzzah. You show amazing dedication to whatever training plan you follow and it's paid off, well done on a super year. I'm sorry the end of the year was a disappointment, i can empathise (as you know), but well done on pulling it back once you were able. Happy new year :)

Thanks - funnily enough, adding the sixth day really helped me with my consistency. I was a fright for doing four out of five runs before that!
    A great update Huzzah I think you have done great over the last year and your PB in shorter distances will come.
    I am enjoying your log as we have similar paces so it will be interesting watching you this year

I love Raven wood on the little trails you have reminded me I must get down for a run there soon :D

Happy New year and Happy running

I enjoy your log for the same reasons. Really have my fingers crossed for your for your plans this year. The Raven really is a beautiful spot.
    I almost forgot, now we can plan that trail run :) I think an easy one to start us off :)

The easier the better!

Congratulations on a super year. Your marathon in particular was amazing - perfectly approached and executed, and a testament to all the training.
    Boardsies, thanks to all for the help, support and camaraderie throughout the year - it’s been a great journey. You guys help me feel normal when I’m obsessing about which plan to choose, not being able to run when I’m injured and squeezing in a run when the weather is apocalyptic.
    Just imagine if there was no Boards! I dread to think what would happen if I didn't have an outlet for all the obsessing :eek: Everyone in my personal life would be sick to death of me, that's for sure :pac:

Happy 2019! Looking forward to cheering you on in October ;)

• Advertisement

If I listen to anything while running I only ever use one earphone and keep the other ear free. You can still hear everything on the road. Might be worth a try!

If I listen to anything while running I only ever use one earphone and keep the other ear free. You can still hear everything on the road. Might be worth a try!

Some earphones allow you to still hear what's going on around you as well, a pair I have now do so, I am still able to hear cars and people but I am always checking behind me for bikes or faster runners when moving across a path or road.

I'm listening to east coast trail runners podcast, very tongue in cheek but very funny I love it as they interview people from elites to the middle of the pack to DFL and all have great stories to tell

Have ye any suggestions for small mp3 type players. I'm not keen on carrying a phone with me.

Have ye any suggestions for small mp3 type players. I'm not keen on carrying a phone with me.

iPod touch maybe or mp3 players & some new watches allow you to download music to them and connect via Bluetooth earphones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've done that in the past. Have a clip that I could use on the cable so the bit that's not in use can be on my shirt and not flailing around. I've gotten so used to running without anything audio related it would be weird to back to it, and a little dodgy on long runs out the back roads which have some blind spots (I run against traffic). I've a volume and pause button on the cable (but no skip unless you press the screen which is fidgety when running - I hate ads). Don't really want to go to bluetooth as it'll be yet another thing to charge and current ones are more than acceptable. /ramble.

There we are now:week 5 already.

I was going to do a 2019 goals post, which elaborated on my post in the 2019 Goals thread but I think it’s unnecessary. I’d like to run some PBs and keep running consistently. I’m aiming for a seven-hour weekly running average to encourage consistency. Hopefully, I’ll build enough of a base to really target a sub-2 half in 2020.

Tuesday, 1 January
    Total: 1:09 hour easy Avg pace: Bushy parkrun@7:01/km Tymon parkrun@6:46 Avg HR: 149 Max HR 169

I took the opportunity of doing a double parkrun combining Bushy and Tymon. I took it handy tootling around at an easy enough pace. Tymon was a bit quicker because the pace increased without my realising after the hill on both laps. A fitter me would’ve run between the two but ho hum. A lot of fun and both nice enough parkruns that I’d like to revisit.

Wednesday, 2 January
    Plan: 6 x 2 minute AP (5:07-5:13) (3 min rec) Total: 10km incorporating session
    Interval splits: 5:10; 5:04; 5:07; 5:02; 5:06; and 5:08
    Avg HR: 154 Max HR 176

I was expecting this to be tougher but it turned out to be grand until the warm down, when I really felt the session in my legs - a tiredness that carried over to the next couple of runs.

Thursday, 3 January
    Total: 1 hour very easy (8:02km@7:40/km)
    Avg HR: 138 Max HR 181 Stupid cadence lock.

A very heavy legged and tired run. Kept this as easy as possible to help recovery. I also kept it to the hour - it was still a couple of seconds too fast for very easy but I’m getting there. The effort/HR was spot on, though.

Friday, 4 January
    Plan: 1 hour very easy or off
    Total: 45 minutes
    Avg pace: 7:43/km
    Avg HR: 136 Max HR 171

I was determined to keep this very easy and I managed it very well, still feeling the remnants of Wednesday’s session in my legs. Couldn’t manage the full hour due to a protesting tummy.

Saturday, 5 January
    Plan: 4x6 min @ Threshold (5:35 - 5:43) w/ 2 min rec Total: 8.5km, incl session
    Splits: 5:43; 5:47; 5:37; and 5:37
    Avg HR: 152 Max HR: 173

One of the appealing aspects of the plan was the ability to combine the Saturday sessions with a parkrun. I hadn’t managed this yet because I need to eat before a session and I’ve been too lazy to get up in time. ReeReeG suggested meeting up at Marlay and it was the added incentive I needed when my alarm went off at 7am. I love running in cold weather but it took my breathing a while to adjust to the frosty weather. I was glad of parkrun because I wasn’t in a session mood when warming up. The first interval was tricky enough with 670 people participating, it was hard to hit the required pace in the first kilometre. I started the lap late, too, to allow the worst of the congestion pass, which resulted in me running out of space at the end. The second kilometre is annoying me that it’s out because it was the easiest one as it was mostly downhill and I just eased off on the gas too much. The final two were comfortably hard. I should’ve just run past the funnel to finish the last one but I didn’t think of it until I was in the funnel to get my number. A nice cuppa and chats with V after.

Sunday, 6 January
    Plan: 70 easy Total: 90 easy (14.76km)
    The last opportunity to get a trail run in for a while, so I decided to try the Bog of Frogs and oooffff, it was tough! I enjoyed it well enough but ran out of steam for the last climb. I’ll give it another go when I don’t have a session in my legs from the previous day and also at a much earlier time - it’s very narrow and there were a lot of hikers who weren’t that easy to pass. I stopped my watch at the 70-minute mark per plan but then wasn’t bothered walking back to the car, so I ran the end of the route.

Weekly totals: 54.5km and 6:34 hours. Happy enough with that week. The plan for next week is to tootle down to Crusaders to see if joining is feasible.

• Advertisement

Great week Huzzah and love the goal sub 2-hour marathon is one of mine although like you I will be aiming for next year:D

Brilliant. Love seeing your sessions come up on strava now. Good luck with Crusaders.

Great week, best of luck with the goals and the new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How are you now after the Bog of Frogs? I found it very tough, felt bruised after it along my ribcage. Good for you for doing it after a session.

We can't make Crusaders tomorrow night but all the very best.

Brilliant. Love seeing your sessions come up on strava now. Good luck with Crusaders.
    Great week, best of luck with the goals and the new club.
    aquinn wrote: »
    We can't make Crusaders tomorrow night but all the very best.

Thanks - I'm actually not feeling my usual shyness, so I should be grand to head down on my own. I'm just going to try it and see for the two-week trial period as it might not work out with getting home after.
    How are you now after the Bog of Frogs? I found it very tough, felt bruised after it along my ribcage. Good for you for doing it after a session.

It was so much tougher than Bray-Greystones and I'm surprisingly sore along my shoulders. I guess I wasn't as relaxed as you need to be for flinging yourself down those hills :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully, I’ll build enough of a base to really target a sub-2 half in 2020.
    Delighted to see this as a goal. Come 2020, something tells me it'll be no bother to you, and more besides ;)

Delighted to see this as a goal. Come 2020, something tells me it'll be no bother to you, and more besides ;)

My very own breaking-2 project :p

Well, what news? How was it?

Well, what news? How was it?

I enjoyed it, thanks! There were 15 other new starters, so I wasn't a fish out of water, except maybe a little bit during the warmup. I'll try a couple of more nights before committing fully, but it seems like it could work out well. I just have to keep an eye on the time, so that I don't miss my one-an-hour bus home.

I enjoyed it, thanks! There were 15 other new starters, so I wasn't a fish out of water, except maybe a little bit during the warmup. I'll try a couple of more nights before committing fully, but it seems like it could work out well. I just have to keep an eye on the time, so that I don't miss my one-an-hour bus home.

Wow, that's a big group. Glad you enjoyed it and hopefully get to meet you next week.

I don't understand half of that warm-up so don't worry about it. Some of it I refuse to do. We do tend to miss it as we run down so normally make the strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote:

The worst thing about this book is the bloody American measurements

My very own breaking-2 project :p
    :P
    15!! Wow. I'd say there were that many people altogether at the one I went to.

Tuesday, 8 January
    Plan: 8x1 min hills (2-3 min rec)
    Actual: Pyramid session: 300, 400, 600, 800, 600, 400, 300 Avg pace: 5:12/km Avg HR: 167 Max HR 181

I finally went to a Crusaders training session to see what it’s all about. Cru train really close to work but nowhere near home. I think, on balance, it’s the best option for me because I’d struggle to make a club training session on time that’s closer to home and it has a huge Fit for Life group, so I can train at the appropriate level for me. There were 15 other new starters/fellow new years resolutioners. All abilities warm up together doing drills and then strides and then we split off into our various groups. My group did the session outlined above. I headed out near the front of the group accidentally for the first couple of reps before learning some self preservation and placing myself more appropriately. Lots to learn in terms of how to pace these sessions, etc. I thought I’d used my watch well, lapping after each faster segment but it’s all over the place in reality. It was a tough session and at times, I was transported to my primary school self on school sports days trying my hardest to get around a running track in one piece - usually miles behind everyone else :o At least I was able to hold my own on Tuesday. My legs were like jelly as I skipped out of the warm down and onto my bus home. A lot to learn, as I said, but I can see the benefits of group training.

Wednesday, 9 January
    Plan: 1 hour very easy Total: 90 minutes@7:25/km
    Avg HR: 143 Max HR 160

I’d forgotten I wouldn’t be able to run on Thursday and I’d have run on Monday if I’d remembered, so I added 30 minutes to the run. Works out well as I need to change my day off next week, so the enforced day off on Thursday will allow me to run tomorrow, although I'm not sure what day to have as my day off...

Friday, 11 January
    Plan: 1 hour very easy or off Total: 1 hour@7:35/km
    Avg HR: 139 Max HR 157

I thought I’d run the full runmute but my legs were very tired, so I popped my sensible hat on and capped this run at an hour.

Saturday, 12 January
    Plan: 15 min tempo, 4 min rec, 10 min Threshold
    Splits: 15 minutes@ 6:02/km 10 minutes threshold: 5:36
    Avg HR: 150 Max HR: 175

I did this session as part of Shanganagh parkrun. My legs were not feeling session ready during the warm up but as is usual, once I started the tempo, I felt okay. The tempo pace was comfortable. I found it hard to ratchet it up a gear to threshold pace but it was nicely testing once I hit the required pace. It was spot on for most of the segment but someone tried to undercut me near the end, so I picked up the pace again to finish ahead of her. I’m can be an awful a-hole at times :o

Sunday, 13 January
    Plan: 1.45 easy Total: 1.45@7:20 Avg HR: 151 Max HR: 187 (my hat)

I keep forgetting to mention an ongoing issue I’m having with my feet. They’ve been very niggly. It’s hard to describe. They almost feel bruised or like they’re about to cramp or something. I don’t think it’s plantar fasciitis as it’s not really in my heel or sore when I wake up. I’ve a feeling it’s tight calfs that’s causing the issue. ANYWAY, I had to change my runners about 20 minutes into this as both my feet were sore enough to make me consider canning the run. The change of runners did the trick and I didn’t have any issues apart from a touch of soreness when I finished. This was a real mid-plan run - tough as it was being done on legs that are flanged. It always feels beneficial to get these types of long run in. I managed to run it in the proper pace range too, so Huzzah!

Weekly totals: 51km and 6:00 hours - quite a bit short of target but not too bad given I only ran on five days. I’ll do a longer warm up before club training on Tuesday. More Some rolling required to see if that helps my wee footsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good week, fair play for taking the club session plunge. The Cru FFL coach is excellent. First session is always the hardest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I keep forgetting to mention an ongoing issue I’m having with my feet. They’ve been very niggly. It’s hard to describe. They almost feel bruised or like they’re about to cramp or something. I don’t think it’s plantar fasciitis as it’s not really in my heel or sore when I wake up. I’ve a feeling it’s tight calfs that’s causing the issue. ANYWAY, I had to change my runners about 20 minutes into this as both my feet were sore enough to make me consider canning the run. The change of runners did the trick and I didn’t have any issues apart from a touch of soreness when I finished.

I have a similar sensation sometimes in my feet and find that as well as trying to loosen my calves a bit, it helps to alternate massaging feet with a tennis ball and a bottle of frozen water (coca-cola 500ml a good shape). There are a few stretches that I do in pilates class as well but not sure how to explain them properly, but maybe google/youtube could help?

• Advertisement

Well done again on the Cru session. I joined that group when I was starting back in the club and it was great. Some of them are shy leading and starting at the front, well done for having the confidence anyway to start out front.

Hopefully meet you tomorrow.

spaceylou wrote: »
    I have a similar sensation sometimes in my feet and find that as well as trying to loosen my calves a bit, it helps to alternate massaging feet with a tennis ball and a bottle of frozen water (coca-cola 500ml a good shape). There are a few stretches that I do in pilates class as well but not sure how to explain them properly, but maybe google/youtube could help?

I actually have a frozen bottle of water for this purpose but haven't used it - thanks for reminding me.

I was meant to welcome you back earlier. I'm not sure what shiny thing distracted me, so welcome back :) It looks like you're following the Grads plan, in which case, you should join us over on the Grads thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057932425
    Well done again on the Cru session. I joined that group when I was starting back in the club and it was great. Some of them are shy leading and starting at the front, well done for having the confidence anyway to start out front.

Hopefully meet you tomorrow.

Yes, fingers crossed.

Monday, 14 January
    Plan: Very easy hour. Actual: 1:17 very easy Avg pace: 7:29/km Avg HR: 144 Max HR 158 (ignoring the purported 197 at the beginning)
    Very enjoyable runmute, if a touch too quick.

Tuesday, 15 January
    Club session: 3x300 w/200r + 3xlaps with Fartlek + 2x400 w/200r + 1x800
    Avg HR: 170 Max HR 184
    |Lap|Time|
    |300|91s|
    |300|86s|
    |300|83s|
    |Fartlek|5:35|
    |400|1:51|
    |400|1:51|
    |800|3:57|

Pilates in the am and the fifth run on the trot, so my legs were nicely fatigued before I’d even started. It was easy enough to pop along to the club in the first week but I was more nervous this week knowing there’d be a tough workout ahead and there was. I met aquinn and Strawberry Swan, which was really nice. I kind of tucked myself a few people back from Strawberry Swan, which worked out well. Took the foot off the pedal too much for the first lap of the 800. These sessions, I believe, are all aimed at a monthly 3k time trial. I guess the ultimate aim is to graduate into the next group, although that seems impossible to me at the moment, so I’ll just use it as a monthly benchmark. Had some indigestion during the session, so I need to eat something different before. My legs were nicely bunched after. I found the Fartlek the toughest.

Thursday, 16 January
    Plan: 1 hour very easy Total: 1 hour@7:17/km
    Avg HR: 148 Max HR 170

The FFL coach suggested if I was going to get the most out of the club, I should try and attend Thursday sessions, so I made an effort to pop along, knowing in my heart of hearts it would be too quick for me. Sure enough, the first km clicked in at 7/km and the next was edging in at around 6.15/km. I was able to chat and would’ve stuck with them but I really wanted to do the planned session the following evening, so I bailed. Tbh, it wouldn’t suit me to go frequently and it was after 9 when I got home, but I can always keep it in the back pocket for weeks when I’m not on plan or motivation is low.

Friday, 17 January
    Plan: 3x8@Threshold (5:41-5:50) Total: 30 minutes@7:38
    Avg HR: 133 Max HR 147
    And then I didn’t even do the session. I was knackered, in no mood and knew we were going to Wexford. None of which are particularly great reasons for sacking it off but sack it off I did.

Saturday, 18 January
    Plan: 1.45 easy but did 3X8 instead.
    Splits: 5:46; 5:46; and 5:37 (Avg pace; should I use avg moving pace for these?)
    Avg HR: 158 Max HR: 189

I did this session at the race course and it worked out perfectly; the lap is in and around a mile, I think, and nicely undulating. I got some encouragement from ladies out walking their dogs as I huffed my way around. I grew this session into something more difficult in my mind and was properly dreading it, to the point where I asked myself if I was still enjoying running and if I thought this mental anguish was worth it. Dramalama. Of course, the session got the endorphins flowing and I loved running again by the end.

Sunday, 19 January
    Plan: 1.45 easy Total: 1.45@7:20

HRM in the wash. Loved the first 2/3rds of this but my legs were cooked for the last ⅓. Exact same pace as last week but I had to make a conscious effort to keep it slow. Glad I did given how I felt at the end.

Weekly totals: 55.4km and 6:35 hours - still a bit short of target and it’ll be even shorter this week as I taper for Raheny. Planning on doing 45 easy on Monday and Wednesday, club session on Tuesday and off on Friday. Debating whether to do 45 easy on Thursday or not. I’ve also signed up for Enniscorthy 10k just before they changed the route. Still looks rahten hilly but no excuses; I’ll just have to plan for the hills and pace accordingly. Not to get too far ahead of myself when I’ve no idea what to aim for in Raheny. I’m thinking a touch quicker than threshold?

Those club sessions look complicated! Looks like you handled it very nicely though, great pacing. You're reminding me that I need to drag myself back to pilates too, sigh. They cancelled my usual class and I haven't been back, but I should probably stop making excuses :o
    Not to get too far ahead of myself when I’ve no idea what to aim for in Raheny. I’m thinking a touch quicker than threshold?
    I was wondering about that too, and thinking the same myself. I think threshold pace is sort of around 10k pace isn't it? So slightly quicker for a 5 mile seems right.

Those club sessions look complicated! Looks like you handled it very nicely though, great pacing. You're reminding me that I need to drag myself back to pilates too, sigh. They cancelled my usual class and I haven't been back, but I should probably stop making excuses :o

I was wondering about that too, and thinking the same myself. I think threshold pace is sort of around 10k pace isn't it? So slightly quicker for a 5 mile seems right.

I think it's maybe the pace you could hold for an hour, so not too far off my 10k pace, no.

For what it's worth and if it's any help to you both in deciding on a target pace I ran it last year at 6:50 per mile. At the time my threshold pace was 7:05-15 and my CV pace was 6:46-6:56.

For what it's worth and if it's any help to you both in deciding on a target pace I ran it last year at 6:50 per mile. At the time my threshold pace was 7:05-15 and my CV pace was 6:46-6:56.

Super helpful, thanks. I noticed that CV pace was more in line with the predicted 5-mile pace alright. Now, whether I can actually convert my 5k time to the predicted result remains to be seen.

Suddenly I have The Fear. The thoughts of having to run at that kind of pace... :eek: Remind me again why we race?

Suddenly I have The Fear. The thoughts of having to run at that kind of pace... :eek: Remind me again why we race?

Because of the reason.

• Advertisement

Because of the reason.
    :p

Advertisement