Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I log about when I log about running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

juke wrote: »
    Just looking back over your tables, is your 'easy' slower than your 'LSR' time?

Saw this mentioned on the novices thread - first time I realised different (and more advanced) plans can be structure so differently.

Yep - well, there's some crossover, but LRs are treated as a session (SOS) and are run at easy to moderate pace.

My easy range is: 7:15 - 7:52/km
    Long is: 6:38 - 7:34/km

One of the reasons, I believe, is to practice running on legs that are tired. There are other reasons, too: https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20815737/long-runs-0/

This article explains the rationale for the differentiation between pacing of LRs according to level well: https://hansonscoachingservices.com/the-marathon-long-run-part-two/ I'm used to pacing my LRs quicker than easy runs, but I'm going to reign in the LR pace over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hanson's Hobble.. so that's what it is! I don't start the plan until Christmas but simulating the routine as a test at the moment. The first mile sure does suck but at least now I'll get a giggle out of it :)

Solid week put down there Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a really great week there Huzzah. This comment in particular says it all for me:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I got a bit carried away and did about 5k at PMP, without realising, near the end.
    If you can speed up to PMP without even realising you're doing it (i.e. without exerting any effort to do so), at the end of your longest run ever, you're clearly flying. That should give you lots of confidence.

Hanson's Hobble.. so that's what it is! I don't start the plan until Christmas but simulating the routine as a test at the moment.

Give the half plan a spin. It's very similar to the full plan, just with spicier paces.

Day |Plan|Actual |Avg Pace| HR|Comments|
    Monday, 16 July |Easy 11km|Easy 11km|7:39/km | 136(149) | I tried to slow this down as I promised myself I would. First km was super slow. Second too fast. All the rest about right. |
    Tuesday, 17 July |6x800@5-10k| 6x800@5-10k | Per plan: 4:06; 4:04; 3:59; 4:07; 4:06; and 4:07 | 156(178) | Some amount of talking to myself to get this done. Slower than last time I did this session, too. I allowed myself drift off 5k pace towards 10k pace, which is no harm, I think|
    Wednesday, 18 July |Rest|Rest|- | - | - |
    Thursday, 19 July |Tempo 13k plus w/up +c/d | 16.6km incl 13@pmp | 6:21; 6:06; 6:28; 6:07; 6:19; 6:09; 6:21; 6:22; 6:15; 6:15; 6:17; 6:16; and 6:30 | 166(179) |A run that confirms what I’ve always known to be true. I actually hate running.* I was starving an hour before I headed out on this, so I had the idea to try some Tailwind. It was sitting on my desk; would’ve been rude not to. I don’t know if it was the TW or something else, but I felt like puking for much of this run. So much so that I just wanted to be home as quickly as possible, so I set off towards home, hills be damned. I actually stopped three minutes into it to question whether or not to continue. I have this set up as mile repeats on my watch, so I think the splits looked even enough to those whose Strave is in miles. they’re all over the gaff in KMs as you can see. I also kept getting flies in my eyes. It was just unpleasant. I found the pace to be okay on the hills but hard to run evenly and, tbf, the runmute is punctuated with lots of traffic lights and mini rests. I did include a little loop around Kilmacud so that I wouldn’t be running the last KM up the worst part of the hills. I saved that joy for the cooldown. At one point, I ended up falling in behind a guy as he ran up the Clonskeagh Road towards the Goat. I’ve literally no shame. I just stuck in behind him and let him pace me up the hill. If roles were reversed, he might have been arrested! At least I got it done, right? |
    Friday, 20 July | Easy 8km | 8km |7:07/km | 132(167) | Motivation at an all time low, I took to the treadmill. I just couldn’t face a “real” run. I used the lure of an uninterrupted hour of Netflix to coax myself into getting it done at all. First 20 minutes were grim, then I got into it. Max HR is false as it spiked at the beginning. This run was truly easy in every sense.|
    Saturday, 21 July| Easy 13km | Easy 13km | 7:34/km | 142(162) | Yuck run spent trying to extend a 10k route to 13k without adding too many hills.|
    Sunday, 22 July| Long 16km | Long 16km |7:21/km | 146(168) | The type of weather I was dreading hit: the double whammy of heat AND humidity. I have never sweated so much in all my life. Ground this one out. I deliberately kept it to the slower end of the range, but upped the pace ever so slightly in the second half. |
    Week 10 Total |77.7km (natch) ||Week 10 Comments| I got it done. And that’s all I have to say about that.

*I don’t really hate running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kudos getting the week done with such a low motivation. 10 weeks in, moving on the strength portion this week? What has hit the motivation? Fatigue, enough sleep, hydrated enough etc..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh God. Sounds like a tough week and well done for doing as much as you did. The weather the last couple of days is really off putting anyway. What’s on the cards for this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think you're at the hardest part of the plan if it's any help. You've a lot of work done but still a lot to do and no sign of a race on the horizon at all yet. These are the tough weeks that you just have to grind out. But another 2 weeks and then you'll be on a 3 week count down to taper and before you know then you'll be tapering and then the excitement will really start to build. The weather really hasn't been helpful at all either, it's been so muggy for so long now, it's draining. Even my energetic kids are slowing down in this weather, they come in from 20 mins of kicking a ball around and they're dripping in sweat - it's a bit gross actually :cool: Make sure you're drinking plenty, eating well and sleep/rest is important too. You're doing great so hang tough, mind yourself ;)

You're so consistent Huzzah!
    Yesterday was horrific for running, I had a very similar experience to you myself. I was out for a lunchtime run just now and it was possibly even worse! The sooner this humidity passes the better.

Kudos getting the week done with such a low motivation. 10 weeks in, moving on the strength portion this week? What has hit the motivation? Fatigue, enough sleep, hydrated enough etc..?

I just didn't have an enjoyable or even okay run all week, but I think Ariana' has hit the nail on the head. I'm just getting into the meat of the plan now and the end seems a long way off. It just seems a bit daunting. I love the strength workouts but I also know they'll make the fatigue worse for a few weeks until the body adjusts again.
    ariana` wrote: »
    I think you're at the hardest part of the plan if it's any help. You've a lot of work done but still a lot to do and no sign of a race on the horizon at all yet. These are the tough weeks that you just have to grind out. But another 2 weeks and then you'll be on a 3 week count down to taper and before you know then you'll be tapering and then the excitement will really start to build. The weather really hasn't been helpful at all either, it's been so muggy for so long now, it's draining. Even my energetic kids are slowing down in this weather, they come in from 20 mins of kicking a ball around and they're dripping in sweat - it's a bit gross actually :cool: Make sure you're drinking plenty, eating well and sleep/rest is important too. You're doing great so hang tough, mind yourself ;)

Nail on the head, I think. You're very astute. You should be a mentor ;) Unfortunately, there isn't a three-week taper in the plan, but hopefully, once I get the first few strength weeks out of the way, I'll settle back into it.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh God. Sounds like a tough week and well done for doing as much as you did. The weather the last couple of days is really off putting anyway. What’s on the cards for this week?

More torture ;) No, actually, doing your 6x1mile but at a far more leisurely PMP - 10 seconds.
    eyrie wrote: »
    You're so consistent Huzzah!
    Yesterday was horrific for running, I had a very similar experience to you myself. I was out for a lunchtime run just now and it was possibly even worse! The sooner this humidity passes the better.

I shall look forward to this evening's run, so. Ah well, the day itself could well be humid. No harm getting used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Can't help but be impressed at your consistency - I struggle so hard with humidity. Keep at it - that race is getting closer every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Your mileage is amazing, Huzzah, even before marathon training. If anyone could be excused a bit of slacking off, you could. Probably better keeping it going till the taper though!

Monday, 23 July |Easy 8km|Easy 8km| 7:28/km | 137(149) | Delighted this was only 8km. Delighted. It was a nice enough run, despite my earlier whinging here, along the seafront :o|
    Tuesday, 24 July |6x1mile@PMP - 10| per plan | Per plan: 6:11; 6:12; 6:11; 6:12; 6:13; and 6:13 | 153(172) | I enjoyed these sessions the last time. I mistakenly thought they’d be a bit easier this time given the slightly slower paces, but it wasn’t to be - a nicely tough session. The only downside is it takes half the night to get it done at my pace. First intermediate Pilates in the morning - tbh, the only thing intermediate about it was the lack of direction.|
    Wednesday, 25 July |Rest|Rest|- | - | - |
    Thursday, 26 July |Tempo 13k plus w/up +c/d | 17ishkm incl 13@pmp | 6:13; 6:20; 6:15; 6:17; 6:19; 6:16; 6:15; 6:21; 6:20; 6:17; 6:18; 6:11; and 6:29 | 163(178) |I need to stop doing these on the hills! It was tough a run as I’ve ever done but I never felt like I wouldn’t get it done at the same time. Going to do next week’s on the seafront. |
    Friday, 27 July | Easy 8km |6km |7:07/km |129(144) | Interrupted run, half outside, half on the dreadmill and cut short by a need to be somewhere.|
    Saturday, 28 July| Easy 13km | Easy 13km | 7:20/km | 137(161) | Much more enjoyable than last week’s iteration of this run. I felt like I was tootling along at quite an easy pace/effort.|
    Sunday, 29 July| Long 26km | Long 26km |7:06/km | 153(184) | A cold and wet run, not that I’m complaining. I broke this down into 10k+10k+6k and it really helped psychologically. Not as easy or enjoyable as the 15miler two weeks ago but happy to run my longest run ever without ever feeling like I wasn’t going to complete it. Had a mix of gels and Shot Bloks on this and they went down okay - the Shots a bit better than the gel|
    Week 11 Total |87km ||Week 11 Comments| Just tipping away as best I can. Apologies for my grumbles last week. I think I was expecting it to be an easier week than it was and was feeling a bit overfaced heading into this week, but it's done now! Huzzah! for that.

Longest run ever - congrats! The thoughts of those kind of distances still intimidate me like mad!
    Another really impressive week Huzzah, you're just churning them out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Wow Huzzah your doing some mileage well done on the last two weeks they look tough and congrats on completing your longest distance :)

Really ...
    Interrupted run, half outside, half on the dreadmill and cut short by a need to be somewhere.

I'm sensing a lack of commitment :eek::pac:

Well done, another great week.

eyrie wrote: »
    Longest run ever - congrats! The thoughts of those kind of distances still intimidate me like mad!

Me too, hence the 10k+10k+6k.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Wow Huzzah your doing some mileage well done on the last two weeks they look tough and congrats on completing your longest distance :)

Thanks - last week was easier than the week before, strangely enough.
    Really ...

I'm sensing a lack of commitment :eek::pac:

I blame Dublin Bus ;)

Did I miss a week? :p

Did I miss a week? :p

The dog ate my homework :o

Hallo there, log, it’s been a while!

I’ve been keeping a log of my training but just haven’t posted for a while because I’ve been having an interesting time of it on the “injury” front.
    It all started on an easy run a few weeks ago, when my right knee started making the loudest cracking noise every time I used my right leg. My knees are fairly crackly, anyway, and I know it’s nothing generally to be concerned about, but this was loud enough to cause embarrassment and it was every single step for about 3k. A quick google (:o) told me not to worry if it wasn’t painful, so I kept going. It stopped cracking and a short time later, I felt a sharp pain in my knee and then nothing. I laughed it off as a weird incident but it happened again the following morning when I was walking down the steps to Pilates. I also had the tiniest bit of pain doing certain movements in Pilates, so I thought I’d be super cautious and move a planned physio visit forward – a decision I’m now regretting. My usual physio has gone to a new job, so I went to a different one.

I continued running and did my session that evening with no ill effects. I’d the tiniest bit of stiffness/discomfort when I’d stand up after sitting for a long time, but nothing of note. The physio, however, carried out some tests and thought I’d torn my meniscus. He told me not to run, but I was lucky enough to schedule an MRI at very short notice, so I decided to keep running so long as the pain stayed away, reasoning to myself that the results of the MRI would only be a few days away and sure, I couldn’t do much damage in a short amount of time, right?

The results of the MRI ended up taking a good bit longer than expected. There was a tantrum when I quit running for a day (log to follow), but then I felt stupid not running when I’d no pain. The results of the MRI turned out to be relatively good – no injury to cartilage or ligaments, but it did show a tiny bit of swelling. Again, the physio told me not to run but that he was confident I’d get to Berlin. I wasn’t sure how, as if I’d listened, I would’ve missed more than a month of training. There was no plan as to how I was going to get there and I got more and more frustrated. The physio was pretty sure the swelling was the result of a “trauma” and not an overuse injury.

I started considering listening to the physio and maybe trying to aim for Dublin, instead. I cheated on Boards and asked for advice on the Hansons Facebook page on how to redirect from a goal race. I didn’t get much assistance other than to quit my moaning and keep running, basically. Sorry, Boards friends, it won’t happen again. All the while I was running pain free. The only real niggle I had was in my calf and I blame Knockmaroon for that I have been getting the very odd knee “wobble”, so while I may have seemd gung ho, I wasn’t supremely confident in my life’s choices.

The physio, a swimmer, had in the initial consultation recommended that I get a second opinion from the head physio, a runner. Eventually, I came around to thinking that this might be a good idea. Apart from anything, I was told I’d need a couple of visits to rehab the knee. I’ve also taken a pretty big knock to my confidence and decided that whatever physio number 2 said would make the decision for me. I saw him last night and he said, after initial tests: “that knee is grand!” He then said I’d managed the injury well (:cool:), to keep up the exercises and do some more he added and that it was very unusual to train for a marathon and not get some kind of a knock. He said not to re-direct to Dublin, but he did say not to chase a time – more to do with it being my first than anything.

To be 100% truthfully honest, and hopefully without jinxing myself, this is the most niggle free I’ve been in a training cycle for some time. I’d say my leg would need to be hanging off me to go to a physio again, so fingers crossed that I get through the next three and a bit weeks with no more incidents. Well, I do have to go back to him 10 days out from D Day.

Apologies for the long post – I considered not bothering, but I really do want to keep a log of my training :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ya could have just said you were ok and saved us the drama!!!! Glad there is nothing untoward up with the knee and Berlin is still a goer.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ya could have just said you were ok and saved us the drama!!!! Glad there is nothing untoward up with the knee and Berlin is still a goer.

#dramalama

Sorry - I forget not everyone is on Strava!

Lol - glad the knee was ok after all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yikes! Glad all is ok... I never would have guessed something was up though from your incredibly steady runs on Strava!
    Not sure where that physio is, and sounds like the head one was better, but there's a guy a lot of ppl in my club use who is excellent, feel free to DM me for details. He's in Dundrum area.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yikes! Glad all is ok... I never would have guessed something was up though from your incredibly steady runs on Strava!
    Not sure where that physio is, and sounds like the head one was better, but there's a guy a lot of ppl in my club use who is excellent, feel free to DM me for details. He's in Dundrum area.

Thanks! I'm okay for now but I might hit you up for the details in future (when I'm over the trauma).

The wheels begin to come off...

Monday, 30 July |Easy 8km|Easy 8km| 7:19/km | 143(159) | Pottering home without a care in the world when I could feel a rubbing in my hip. I paid next to no attention to it and then my knee started cracking and it was loud. So loud, it was embarrassing. So loud, I recorded it. I had zero pain but didn’t know whether to run on or stop. I consulted Dr Google and as there was no pain, I decided to press on, finding the noise amusing. After about 2k, it stopped. Shortly afterwards, I felt a sharp pain just below my knee. It was painful enough to cause me to jump up in the air but it went away as quickly as it arrived. I didn’t for a second think any of this was a big issue and even had the thought that this was the first niggle I’d had in what has been a relatively niggle-free training cycle. |
    Tuesday, 31 July |4x1.5mile@PMP - 10| per plan | 6:13; 6:12; 6:12; and 6:11 | Forget monitor | Had pilates in the morning and a couple of twinges in my knee made me decide to bring my tune-up physio session forward a week. Felt great on the run. Ran these on the 800m loop which meant I could judge the effort quite well without too much watch watching. |
    Wednesday, 1 August |Rest|Rest|- | - | Emergency physio session that I may forever regret. Diagnosis and prognosis were not good. Query torn meniscus. Told not to run and to forget about Berlin and to stop asking about marathons and even if I had an entry for Dublin, I wouldn’t be able to run it. Boo. Hiss.|
    Thursday, 2 August |Tempo 14.4k plus w/up +c/d | 17ishkm incl 14.4@pmp | 6:17avg | 169(186) |Doctor’s appointment in the morning. He seemed perplexed by me: “So, you don’t do any other sport? And you’ve only been running for three years?” I thought he might have decided there was nothing wrong with me as his tests only proved to be mildly uncomfortable but he was happy to make the MRI referral. He then told me that I’m not really built for running - too knock-kneed, apparently. Anyway, onto my SOS. Somewhat in denial and anticipating my results from the MRI by Tuesday, I decided to press on for a few more days. Don’t tell me off. I had zero discomfort in my knee. I did this on a relatively flat route, unlike the last few weeks’ sessions, and I was expecting this to be easier as a consequence. I can confirm that it was not easy. The humidity didn’t help but I’m concerned at how high my HR was for the run. I possible could’ve done another kilometer at pace but not a step more. Back to the drawing board on PMP, methinks. (Still talking like there’s an M to P)|
    Friday, 3 August | Easy 8km | 5km |7:32/km | - | MRI in the morning. Like, the sheer mortification that I got an MRI within 24 hours of referral when there are people with actual illnesses on waiting lists for months. We have a terrible system, but I’ll just give out about it and contribute to the problem. In an awful grump. Tempted not to run at all, which is obviously what I should have done, but not willing to give up just yet, I split the difference.|
    Saturday, 4 August| Easy 13km | Easy 13km | 7:17/km | 151(165) | My legs were starting to feel nicely recovered and I listened to the instructions and ran this one at the quicker end of the pace range - tis allowed of a Saturday, but I’m not usually brave enough. I was very tempted to just do the extra three and box off the long run for the week, but I’d a small feeling that I wouldn’t be hugely motivated to get the 13 done on Sunday if it wasn’t a “key” run.|
    Sunday, 5 August| Long 16km | Long 16km |6:53/km | 150(164) |Followed the same out and back as the previous day. Just ran along paying zero attention to the watch. Pace/effort felt a bit quick/high at the start but I soon settled into it and enjoyed it. 10 miles is the perfect run distance for me. |
    Week 12 Total |75.2km ||Week 12 Comments| Apart from meniscusgate, the week was grand. It felt like more of a stepback week than previously.

I'd never have known from your strava miles! Good to see all is still on schedule.

The think that shocks me most is not that your ran against advice (that's ok, you listened to your body), rather that you cheated :eek:

LOL on the not built for running, GP's are gas when it comes anything they aren't familiar with.

Oy oy oy sounds like a stressful few days/weeks! Like the others have said I would never have known, your running looked as consistent as ever on Strava! Really glad to hear the knee is ok though, and glad to have you back logging too! That physio though... :rolleyes:

Knock Kneed? What exactly did you say back to the GP?

• Advertisement

The think that shocks me most is not that your ran against advice (that's ok, you listened to your body), rather that you cheated :eek:

I danced with the devil... Never again. Back home for good.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Knock Kneed? What exactly did you say back to the GP?

I was really mature and said something like, "NOOO, you're knock kneed" and stuck my tongue out at him.

In reality, I sort of whimpered something along the lines of, "but can I do shorter distances? *sniffle*"

Advertisement