Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary fence idea's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Those white fence posts won't do your job, the spur is light and only 4-5 inches long, just designed to hold single strand of fence wire.

You could get 4 wooden posts in a farm co op, light ones, we call them "tooth picks" here, handy for a temporary fence like your after, couple euro each.

Knock them into the ground 6-8 inches, nail chicken wire to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

_Brian wrote: »
    Those white fence posts won't do your job, the spur is light and only 4-5 inches long, just designed to hold single strand of fence wire.

You could get 4 wooden posts in a farm co op, light ones, we call them "tooth picks" here, handy for a temporary fence like your after, couple euro each.

Knock them into the ground 6-8 inches, nail chicken wire to them.

Something like these or smaller? http://www.woodford.ie/fencing/fence-posts/round-post.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chicken wire is thin and sharp.

PVC coated chainlink would be better.

e.g. http://wireandfencedepot.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_5

Or a couple of sheets of weldmesh.

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/apollo-25mm-galvanised-welded-mesh-panel-0-6-x-0-9m-pack-of-10.html

Weldmesh is stiffer so may not need posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If it is only 4M would 2 6feet x 3feet panels and 3 4ft posts do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Yea the smallest ones.

I'd go with the chicken wire rather than spending money on weldnesh or similar.

Cheap n cheery, but safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And rather than annoying yourself trying to knock nails into a post, use cable ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

And if it's only a temporary fence to keep small kids in, I would suggest stretching wire top and bottom and putting on cheap garden netting, the type used for keeping the pigeons off the cabbage.. You would be better off to attach the wire to the walls both sides, so as to be able to apply sufficient tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

And if it's only a temporary fence to keep small kids in, I would suggest stretching wire top and bottom and putting on cheap garden netting, the type used for keeping the pigeons off the cabbage.. You would be better off to attach the wire to the walls both sides, so as to be able to apply sufficient tension.

That might be idea and then I could use the standard wire posts, I am thinking I don't really want to bang posts into middle of lawn for a few weeks

Advertisement