Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orchid ID

Options
  • 18-06-2017 10:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

was at the garden centre today, and commented on the orchids growing around the pond they have there, and before you could say boo, they'd lifted a plant and stuck it in a pot for me.
    they reckon it arrived in on another plant, and has seeded itself around, so i guess it's possibly/probably not native; reason i'm posting here is that i've checked my usual flower field guide (the zoe devlin one) and it's not quite a match for anything there, mainly due to the leaves - this one is spotted all the way down the inside of the leaf, on the inside, but the ones which are native seem to be spotted at the top, or on both sides?

420196.jpg

420197.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kinda looks as though you may have two different orchids there? They are very appealing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they are - the petals are different; this is the chap who gave me them - skip to 1:50 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQus2P9p6M

i'm guessing it's the common spotted orchid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My first thoughts are common spotted orchid. Can be a bitch to grow. An old gardener I know tried for years and ended up with loads of if but not where he'd planted the seed but instead it popped up in with all the pots of shrubs he was growing. I believe there is a symbiotic fungus that grows on its roots and if you have the right conditions for the fungus then you are far more likely to get good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I does look like the common spotted orchid based on the leaves. I have seen the flower color go from a deep shade like the above photo to much lighter almost pink shade (in the wild)

I had one come up as a surprise in peat I put in a large pot. It remained as a solitary plant for 5-6 years and then last year 4 more popped up and this year there are loads of plants.

Advertisement