Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to work?

• 18-06-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Hi all,

I've seen some very old threads on commuting to work on a bike but I have a few questions that didn't come up.
    I don't drive a bike myself and would be starting from scratch if this is a realistic option.
    So I wear a shirt in work everyday and I'm wondering:
    Could drive with a shirt on under bike gear?
    Would you be sweating after a 30min bike ride?
    Would you need a shower after a bike ride?

So this probably wouldn't be viable if I had to shower after a bike ride to work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I used to do an hour or so. You wouldn't need a shower no, unless it was a day like today with the heat or you got wet.

Bike gear itself can get a bit whiffy so keeping it clean would be important. And I wouldn't count on a dress shirt staying neat under gear, but you might be grand.

Personally I'd tend to wear a tshirt on the bike and have a proper shirt in a bag if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd be similar. Ride the bike in a t-shirt under the gear, and then change clothes when I get to the office. I keep a bag of clothes in work, or bring a fresh change on the bike with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

It seems like it could be an option so.
    I'm traveling through the tunnel in Cork everyday and it's only going to get worse. Seems like a bike could be a lot more stress free.
    You wouldn't smell like fumes I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you wear the gear you shouldn't smell of fumes.

My workplace is more casual so i wear a polo shirt and chinos/ jeans for work, they go under my gear. I wouldn't wear a shirt in under the gear though.

Man it was hot today! :eek:

I might have to consider training now to see if I can handle a bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wear a shirt to work every day under my bike jacket, I wear leather bike trousers and keep normal trousers in work and change into them when I get in.

No heat or sweating. We don't live in the south of France. The winter lining zips out when it's not needed, and my textile jacket has zip-open vents so no overheating. Even if it's really hot, as long as you're moving you'll get a cooling breeze, and on a bike you can keep moving a good proportion of the time.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wear and shirt, jumper and trousers under my bike gear daily (have left off the jumper the last few days). Only thing I don't wear is a suit jacket,if I need it I'll loosely fold it into a backpack.
    Don't smell or be sweaty arriving into work.

Slightly different opinion here, I wear sport boots and trousers which are fine if not waterproof, but if I wore a shirt under my jacket, which is a light summer jacket and not remotely waterproof (full of vent holes) the shirt would be destroyed , soaked in sweat and unwearable.

No way the shirt can be worn under gear imo, I suppose it depends on how well it needs to look

Il be driving in full time in a few months and il be bringing in 5 shirts in a rucksack and putting them in a locker once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm also in the "non sweaty" camp, don't have any problems wearing a shirt under a fairly heavy Revit leather jacket with thick back protector.

And would you all recommend it as a commuting to work option when compared to a car?

• Advertisement

accap1f8 wrote: »
    And would you all recommend it as a commuting to work option when compared to a car?
    Seriously? :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Seriously? :pac:

Yes, it's a serious question.
    Some people may prefer to be in their car but don't have the time to be sitting in traffic.
    I don't have a bike so this is why I'm asking questions.
    People might hate it but just do it to save a few hours in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Realistically, if it's purely for commuting to work, then it's great, especially if you live in a city.

I grabbed my licence a few weeks ago and have been driving to work on the bike for the last week and a half.

For a bit of context, I live in Ballincollig, Cork and work in Mahon in Cork. In my car I have to leave my house at 8am to make sure I'm in work for 9am due to traffic due to traffic jams and all that. On my bike which a friend is allowing me to drive until I buy my own, I do it in 15 minutes without speeding.

Link to the route I drive each day, which can take about an hour in a car.
    https://goo.gl/maps/14oGKZjAQLy

Thanks sonics. It would for commuting.
    I'm coming from the opposite direction through the tunnel.
    Would love to be able cruise all the way up the motorway and straight to the top of the lights. I'm going to the airport business park everyday and it's taking me an hour most of the time.
    I'd say I could do it on 20mins on a bike

I bought my bike initially for Sunday spins but started riding it to work about 3 years ago. I ride all year round now and save at least 5 hours a week. Yes, there are winter days when i wish i was listening to spotify and drinking a coffee but when I arrive 40 minutes earlier than I would in a car I get over it quickly. That said, year round riding is not for everyone, i'm just fooking awesome!:cool:

Yes, it's a serious question.
    Some people may prefer to be in their car but don't have the time to be sitting in traffic.
    I don't have a bike so this is why I'm asking questions.
    People might hate it but just do it to save a few hours in a week.
    I know a couple of people who stopped motorcycle commuting (in London) because they got fed up with being knocked off, but not because the experience was normally unpleasant. Irish drivers are much less aggressive, like big dopey whales that are easy to swim around.

Weather in Dublin is mild enough for ice to be a problem only rarely (few days a year), the rest of it can be dealt with my some combination of clothing and motorcycle choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Absolutely, especially if your route involves congestion or tolls, both of which are reduced by being on the bike. Will you get rid of your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I got a bike because I just wanted one.. not just to commute ... but commuting on it is very handy. You wont regret it.

One thing is to make sure when getting insured that commuting is included in the policy. I know of some people who renewed their policies only to find it had been removed. Ask when getting a quote and make sure its definitely on it when you take the policy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks sonics. It would for commuting.
    I'm coming from the opposite direction through the tunnel.
    Would love to be able cruise all the way up the motorway and straight to the top of the lights. I'm going to the airport business park everyday and it's taking me an hour most of the time.
    I'd say I could do it on 20mins on a bike

You won't be able to use the motorway on the bike till you pass your test and then you won't want to use the motorway ;)

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't be able to legally use the motorway on the bike till you pass your test and then you won't want to use the motorway ;)

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Absolutely, especially if your route involves congestion or tolls, both of which are reduced by being on the bike. Will you get rid of your car?

No I would definitely hang onto the car.
    Couldn't get rid of that!

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't be able to use the motorway on the bike till you pass your test and then you won't want to use the motorway ;)

And I just looked at my full driving licence. The bike one is not there and I've had my licence over 8 years.
    This means back to scratch and doing the driver theory test for which I need some ridiculous ID. Ah Christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

your previous theory test will be on file and may be suitable for the bike.. ring the ndls and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

accap1f8 wrote:
    Yes, it's a serious question. Some people may prefer to be in their car but don't have the time to be sitting in traffic. I don't have a bike so this is why I'm asking questions. People might hate it but just do it to save a few hours in a week.

I don't think Lumen was being rude, if that's how you interpreted it, I think he was eluding to just how much fun two wheels are. I mean, we all know the risks and dangers yet still do it! Why? Because its one of those "...the most fun you can have with your clothes on!" aspects of life.
    You'll get the bike, quickly do the licence because 1, you already have a fair amount of roadcraft and 2, you'll be eager to shorten your commute and I'm pretty sure in that small space of time you'll LOVE the fun aspect. Or scare yourself shítless and never ride again!
    Good luck with it, you won't look back!

Licence expired in 2009 so have to start at the beginning.
    Even this first hurdle is a balls. Going to welfare office with all my details to get this card.
    They don't make things easy.

Just follow the usual steps as normal (all listed ion the sticky's) and the red tape doesn't feel so excessive once you're on a bike and doing the IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I wear whatever I plan on wearing under my gear. Im 30min spin to work and have no issues. I do have a spare shirt here at the office though.. just incase. And I have a shower in a can in my drawer. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I commuted with shirt and tie under my textiles. Only stopped using the bike because the commuting time was too short for it to be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Just do it. One of the best decisions of your life.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your input.
    The only thing putting me off is the process.
    1.Go to a welfare off during work hours to get the ID
    2. Get the theory test
    3. Renew my licence to get the bike included during work hours

Only then I get to start the IBT training.

Advertisement