Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to work?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Welfare office has nothing to with driving licences anymore.
    It's all done through NDLS.
    You need to do the bike theory test first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Welfare office has nothing to with driving licences anymore.
    It's all done through NDLS.
    You need to do the bike theory test first though.

And to do a theory test you must have some new ID.
    No other ID is allowed apparently.
    Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Unbelievable.

And to get the ID you can use your driving licence!

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Public-Services-Card_holder.aspx

And would you all recommend it as a commuting to work option when compared to a car?

Not a chance. I drive in now and I wouldn't care if it took me an hour longer I'd prefer to be in a car listening to the radio in the warmth than pissing about on my bike in the morning. (I'm.not a morning person)

Unfortunately have no choice with work move, it's actually nearly quicker cycling so prob end up doing that.
    Bushmanpm wrote: »
    I don't think Lumen was being rude, if that's how you interpreted it, I think he was eluding to just how much fun two wheels are. I mean, we all know the risks and dangers yet still do it! Why? Because its one of those "...the most fun you can have with your clothes on!" aspects of life.
    You'll get the bike, quickly do the licence because 1, you already have a fair amount of roadcraft and 2, you'll be eager to shorten your commute and I'm pretty sure in that small space of time you'll LOVE the fun aspect. Or scare yourself shítless and never ride again!
    Good luck with it, you won't look back!

I have fun going out on the weekend acting like a lunatic , not weaving through traffic at 10 mph mostly in the wet with 20 mins of locking up bike, prep and additional shower , How anyone finds that fun is beyond me. I'd imagine 99% do it because it's quicker.

Op depends how long the commute is, If it was 30 mins on bike to an hour in car I'd pick car. It would have to be going from 1 hour v 2 hours before I would bike in.

Unless its a day like today then obviously take the bike.

I love riding my bike but not commuting on it, it takes the fun out of it for me. I'm pretty strict about wearing gear and conscious about locks/security so that adds a ridiculous amount of time to my commute if I bike.

I would think twice about getting a bike if it's solely for commuting. If you have no genuine interest in motorbikes themselves and view them purely as a mode of transport, then don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would think twice about getting a bike if it's solely for commuting. If you have no genuine interest in motorbikes themselves and view them purely as a mode of transport, then don't bother.

WHY???

I bought a bike, solely for commute. But, once I had it, I did a lot more. I do commute on the bike, but also go for spins in the evening and on weekends. I never had an interest in bikes. For me, it was a case of buying a 2nd car for the house, or else I get a bike. I definitely don't regret getting a bike.

My commute is 15 min by bike. I have somewhere to park it, at work. But, if I was in the car, it would take 45 min, and I would have nowhere to park. I could take public transport, but that would be about 50 min. But, the bike means I get a little extra time in bed in the morning, and I get home quicker too. I save an hour a day on commute. That might not be much to some people, but it means a lot to me.

Yes, there is the hassle of changing gear, the rain, lack of fun during a commute, etc. Life is always about compromises. Would I take the car if I could?? Not a chance. I will always take the bike first, and car as the second option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's also been said many times on this forum too that it is addictive. We are all at different stages and levels of this "addiction". Some of us have expensive bikes and others cheap. Some of us don't bother locking up the bikes and others weld it to the earths core each day.

I think buying a cheap bike and using it for commuting is a great idea. But definitely the daily rat race can be tiresome and take the fun out of biking. Every weekend my little club goes out for a spin and sometimes I just can't be arsed after riding the bike all week.

I would even suggest a scooter for the convenience *hides* or at least get a top box for the bike. This is when ya start going from "ah sure its just a bike for commuting" to "but I do want something cool looking and fun".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What a load of boll*x. They are a mode of transport that many people you probably pass on the road only use for commuting. I'd be of the opinion the more bikes on the road and less cars the better. Do you consider yourself a "proper" biker who goes on spins and doesn't want too many bikes on the road?? What difference does it make if the OP is commuting as you are hardly gonna cross paths :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have fun going out on the weekend acting like a lunatic , not weaving through traffic at 10 mph mostly in the wet with 20 mins of locking up bike, prep and additional shower
    That just demonstrates how different people's experiences are.

I do about 30km each way in to Dublin and it takes me an average of 40 minutes (45 in bad traffic, under 35 over the summer). Whilst there's a bit of inner city bumbling which is slightly annoying, I can still listen to the radio just as I would in a car on on a bicycle.

It takes me about a minute longer to get dressed than if I was using the car, mostly due to faffing with headphones, and at the other end I just have to take off my jacket and change my trousers.

I don't use any additional locks, I just park on the footpath outside my office, take the key out and walk in. If I was using a car I'd be spending 10 mins just getting in to the multi-storey and walking to the office.

I really don't understand the showering thing. How do you get sweaty just sitting on your arse operating a couple of levers? Are you pumping your guns during your commute or what? :pac:

You're not a real biker unless you've got at least three tattoos, do four track days a year and listen to death metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unbelievable.

got one of these last week as they wrote out to me saying its to be changed.

I was in there approx 7 minutes.

And done. place was empty.

Its not the welfare office btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't agree with that at all: motorcycles are a perfectly good choice as transport. It is actually what they started out as after all, even before cars. When I started biking in the 80s I did so specifically as transport, car insurance being too expensive. 30+ years later that argument is even stronger when you add in modern traffic levels....

And even though I have bikes, modern scooters are a very good commuting choice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't agree with that at all: motorcycles are a perfectly good choice as transport. It is actually what they started out as after all, even before cars. When I started biking in the 80s I did specifically as transport, car insurance being to expensive. 30+ years later that argument is even stronger when you add in modern traffic levels....

I'm in Galway myself. I commuted solely on a bike for 2 years. My journey was longer taking the bike. You've got the pain of changing and storing your gear 4 times day. Not fun when you're tired and just want to get home, worse when it's pissing rain (something quite frequent in the west). Bikes aren't that much cheaper as a transport if you're doing high mileage. Tires are more expensive than cars and have a shorter lifespan. Service intervals are more frequent.

I'm a fair weather biker now, and being on a bike is much more of an occasion. If there was no need for PPE I'd take the bike to work everyday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You're not a real biker unless you've got at least three tattoos, do four track days a year and listen to death metal.

Thats me out, track racing is scary :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm in Galway myself. I commuted solely on a bike for 2 years. My journey was longer taking the bike. You've got the pain of changing and storing your gear 4 times day. Not fun when you're tired and just want to get home, worse when it's pissing rain (something quite frequent in the west). Bikes aren't that much cheaper as a transport if you're doing high mileage. Tires are more expensive than cars and have a shorter lifespan. Service intervals are more frequent.

I'm a fair weather biker now, and being on a bike is much more of an occasion. If there was no need for PPE I'd take the bike to work everyday though.

Well, the SO works in Eyre Square. Traffic home on a Thursday or Friday can be 1.5 hrs...to Craughwell.

25 mins on the bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

If there was no need for PPE I'd take the bike to work everyday though.

I believe you only need to wear a helmet according to the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There's a difference between the law and the need. :p

I wouldn't ride without full gear - boots, gloves, helmet and textile suit. I do have lighter summer gear, and heavier winter gear.

But, over the last few days I've seen people with helmets, shorts, t-shirts and runners. Might help them keep cool, but even a slow speed they would be ruined for life. To each their own, but that wouldn't be for me. :eek:

schaffer wrote: »
    I believe you only need to wear a helmet according to the law.

Yeah, but I never get on the bike without full gear regardless of distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But definitely the daily rat race can be tiresome and take the fun out of biking.

It's not as much fun as riding purely for, well, fun, but it's a f**-ton more fun than sitting stuck in a cage or standing at a bus stop.
    Most days M-F it's by far the most fun thing I get to do. Even if it's p*ssing rain.

When it's NOT fun - frost or storm force winds - then I take the bus.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

It really doesn't take that long to put on or take off gear. Especially if you factor it in to your getting ready time. It takes me maybe 10 mins to put the gear on and get the bike ready out front of the house. 10 minutes is nothing. Add 5 for putting on rain gear. Less than 10 mins to take the gear off in work. No worries.

Yes, it's going to rain and yes it sucks to ride in it but good quality rain gear makes a helluva difference. My bike is all I have and have had it for 11 years. I hope I get another 11 out of her! I still enjoy the commute even when tired or it's raining or whatever. It's my time when I'm on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Blondie919 wrote: »
    It really doesn't take that long to put on or take off gear. Especially if you factor it in to your getting ready time. It takes me maybe 10 mins to put the gear on and get the bike ready out front of the house. 10 minutes is nothing. Add 5 for putting on rain gear. Less than 10 mins to take the gear off in work. No worries.
    Up to 25 minutes faffing each way when it's raining! That's getting on for an hour a day!

I reckon it takes me about 2 minutes at each end, regardless of weather. Which is less time than it would take to walk from the nearest car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lumen wrote: »
    Up to 25 minutes faffing each way when it's raining! That's getting on for an hour a day!

I reckon it takes me about 2 minutes at each end, regardless of weather. Which is less time than it would take to walk from the nearest car park.

Ditto, if you're spending 25 minutes you're doing it wrong. Also, I make up some time spent getting changed by parking right beside the door in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't see any problem with a shirt under the bike jacket.
    Today is probably one of the worst days for commuting on the bike imho. It's warm and humid. But it might rain. So you gear up for rain and it doesn't actually rain, so you get warm under your gear. The rain will at least cool you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

shoot me when I get to the stage where getting to and from work includes timing myself putting on gear vs walking to a car park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I bought my bike for commuting and would very rarely go for a leisure ride (dont have the time) although I do about 2 hrs a day commute all year round. Sometimes I will go home via the twisties :). For me, it makes sense cos i just couldn't do my current commute in a car what with traffic and parking etc.

I will be starting a new job soon tho and will probably use the car sometimes. Sometimes it's nice to have your cup of coffee and listen to rubbish on the radio. The new commute wont involve heavy traffic and will have free parking. When it is nice out I will take the bike. I guess it will be nice to have the choice.

For info, it takes me 46 seconds to put on my gloves, 20 seconds to zip my jacket to my trousers and 5 seconds to put on my jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

46 seconds to put on gloves, what are you an octopus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

salesskills-2017-Mar03.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They can't hit the stop button on the stopwatch with their gloves on:D

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    That just demonstrates how different people's experiences are.

I do about 30km each way in to Dublin and it takes me an average of 40 minutes (45 in bad traffic, under 35 over the summer). Whilst there's a bit of inner city bumbling which is slightly annoying, I can still listen to the radio just as I would in a car on on a bicycle.

It takes me about a minute longer to get dressed than if I was using the car, mostly due to faffing with headphones, and at the other end I just have to take off my jacket and change my trousers.

I don't use any additional locks, I just park on the footpath outside my office, take the key out and walk in. If I was using a car I'd be spending 10 mins just getting in to the multi-storey and walking to the office.

I really don't understand the showering thing. How do you get sweaty just sitting on your arse operating a couple of levers? Are you pumping your guns during your commute or what? :pac:

Well I wouldn't listen to the radio because I think it's probably the single most stupid thing you can do on a motorbike, one of your senses gone and then bang.

You commute is far longer than mine but takes half the time? In fact less I'd say mine in 14 km so I dunno how you commute that quick.

If I parked my bike outside with no locks in Dublin city it would be gone without a doubt by the time I came back.

I just like to smell fresh, yeah I do sweat. Most men do and sitting in either heat or rain with full non breathable waterproofs on will do that. Also my bike is basically a cooker on wheels

Helmet, back protector, jacket,gloves, trousers, 2 locks. All adds up. I could walk out in jeans but I'm not a clown

Advertisement