Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to work?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well I wouldn't listen to the radio because I think it's probably the single most stupid thing you can do on a motorbike, one of your senses gone and then bang.

You commute is far longer than mine but takes half the time? In fact less I'd say mine in 14 km so I dunno how you commute that quick.

If I parked my bike outside with no locks in Dublin city it would be gone without a doubt by the time I came back.

I just like to smell fresh, yeah I do sweat. Most men do and sitting in either heat or rain with full non breathable waterproofs on will do that. Also my bike is basically a cooker on wheels

Helmet, back protector, jacket,gloves, trousers, 2 locks. All adds up. I could walk out in jeans but I'm not a clown

I don't want this to seem like an argument but am happy to continue the thread because I think it's interesting to get different perspectives and useful for people thinking of taking up motorcycling for the commute. I think you're much more experienced on the bike than me and I'm possibly doing some stuff wrong. Anyway....

I think your statement that listening to the radio is the "single most stupid thing you can do on a motorbike" is hyperbolic to say the least. If that were the case then nobody should be wearing ear plugs.

The radio thing has been done to death on the cycling forum, but I don't think that listening to talk radio prevents hearing things going on around. When I'm cycling I keep my right earbud out on dodgy stretches as it's useful to hear the tyre noise of an approaching vehicle and I sometimes need to react to a potential dodgy overtake. On the motorbike I'm riding in the middle of the road, wearing a full face helmet with hearing protection, and have mirrors, so the same factors don't apply.

My commute is up the M11 and N11 so until the last stretch in D4 I'm doing 100-120kph, 80kph and then 60kph (bus lane).

The security thing is barely excusable, and maybe if I'd had my bike nicked I'd have a different approach. Perhaps I've a lower risk because scummers/professional thieves are looking for sports bikes, or maybe I've just been lucky.

I don't wear full waterproofs. They haven't been necessary in the 12 months of commuting I've done, including the short stretch at motorway speeds.

I wear kevlar jeans* which get wet but not uncomfortable, and in winter I put a ski jacket or breathable cycling jacket on under my leather jacket (which has back, shoulder, elbow protection), so basically all my gear is fully breathable and there's plenty of airflow for cooling. I don't get uncomfortably cold, apart from the hands in winter.

The kevlar jeans may be the most questionable thing about my approach as I've only got knee protectors on them and I doubt denim slides well, but I've lost a lot of skin in cycling crashes and it's always grown back. If I was going to add more protection I'd start with taller boots.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You ironically hear better with good earlugs. They cut out a lot of the wind noise. Easier to hear the engine and traffic sounds. If you don't use ear plugs, you'll eventually hear nothing due to hearing loss from the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pugzilla wrote:
    You ironically hear better with good earlugs. They cut out a lot of the wind noise. Easier to hear the engine and traffic sounds. If you don't use ear plugs, you'll eventually hear nothing due to hearing loss from the wind.

High frequency noise damping 😎

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

lennymc wrote: »
    it takes me 46 seconds to put on my gloves, 20 seconds to zip my jacket to my trousers and 5 seconds to put on my jocks.
    You put your jocks on after your trousers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You put your jocks on after your trousers?

Didn't Superman do that too?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I used to listen to music too, it's easy enough to pause when you need to which I regularly did if I was filtering and wanted to focus more. I recently found music on the bike a bit grating though and just use ear plugs daily now. Still, I don't think it's that dangerous, you can hear f all on the bike anyway.

I'm not saying you're all doing it wrong but waterproof textiles over my clothes works for me across 4 seasons, I cant think of an easier way to do it. That said, I don't wear a shirt in work but there's an easy solution for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I listen to music occasionally while on the bike. I don't find it distracting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I timed myself yesterday. Less than 1 minute to put on trousers, jacket, scarf, and boots.
    Then outside: less than 90 seconds to put on helmet, zip up jacket, unlock chain and brake locks, remove cover, put on gloves and start bike.

I was a lot slower until I realised that if I put my helmet on my head while locking/unlocking I didn't have to worry about where to leave it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Cian_ok wrote: »
    I timed myself yesterday. Less than 1 minute to put on trousers, jacket, scarf, and boots.
    Then outside: less than 90 seconds to put on helmet, zip up jacket, unlock chain and brake locks, remove cover, put on gloves and start bike.

But but but p-o-w-d-e-r check? 😀

micknail wrote: »
    But but but p-o-w-d-e-r check?

No. I don't check these each day. Probably less frequently than I should

Serious question for fellow commuters: how often do you do the POWDER checks on your bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

No. I don't check these each day. Probably less frequently than I should

Serious question for fellow commuters: how often do you do the POWDER checks on your bikes?
    I know what the petrol level is like as I like to keep her topped up. Damage and Rubber I would check each time I'm on the bike while unlocking the bike, etc. The Oil, Water and Electrics I check whenever I think of them. I should probably do that more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

how often do you do the POWDER checks on your bikes?

Not often enough.:(

Petrol gauge is clear, so I know how much I have. Once the warning comes on, I refill.
    Oil -monthly or so
    Water - none on my bike, aside from the rain and a wash
    Damage - I do keep an eye on it
    Electrics - every time it starts.
    Rubber - I need a new set soon.I have a look over the full tyres every so often.

In general, I don't do these checks frequently enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Every month I do a detailed check of all lights, fluids, chain and tyres and give the bike a quick clean while checking everywhere for damage. Before riding each day I just check the tyres by hand and check there's no puddle under the bike and off I go but I'd obviously notice if any lights or anything weren't working as I have to reverse out of my garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Paulw wrote: »
    Not often enough.:(

Petrol gauge is clear, so I know how much I have. Once the warning comes on, I refill.
    Oil -monthly or so
    Water - none on my bike, aside from the rain and a wash
    Damage - I do keep an eye on it
    Electrics - every time it starts.
    Rubber - I need a new set soon.I have a look over the full tyres every so often.

In general, I don't do these checks frequently enough.
    is your bike air cooled?

Paulw wrote: »
    Water - none on my bike, aside from the rain and a wash.

When I did the IBT I was told "W" was "water and other liquids". It also included brake fluids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

P - ower
    O - vertaking
    W - heeeeeeelies!!!
    D - owning of the knee
    E - ndo
    R - ide it like you stole it!

:)

(And I most certainly do not condone any of that behaviour etc etc)

Advertisement