Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Bush Issue

Options
  • 19-06-2017 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi lads...

Have a situation. Basically our next door neighbour had a bush growing from their garden into ours (almost the entire bush was growing into our garden - just the roots were in theirs).

They recently cut the roots of the bush and now the bush is dead and in our garden...

Who is generally responsible for removing it?

FWIW tried to contact Treecouncil using all numbers and email and couldnt get them...

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Ha...ha...ha

I had a green covering the whole concrete wall between our houses.
    Removed the full plant(s) even the ones fallen in to my neighbour back garden,jumped over the wall and clean the wall and brushed the ground.
    On the other side of the wall,i had a tree that i prunned a while ago.Well...that neighbour had a small branch that falled in to its garden,they throw back in to my garden rather than putting in to his brown bin.

Your call...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why is it a problem. If you want to risk an upset just detach it from the fence and leave it into their garden. Or more peacefully cut it into bits and put it in the brown bin. The Tree Council isn't likely to be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

looksee wrote: »
    Why is it a problem. If you want to risk an upset just detach it from the fence and leave it into their garden. Or more peacefully cut it into bits and put it in the brown bin. The Tree Council isn't likely to be interested!

I agree, this is only an issue if you make it into one. I would just cut it up and put it in the brown bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's theirs, just pop it back across the boundary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Be careful about trimming the neighbour's bush without their consent, for some reason this really vexes some people. You may ask your neighbour to trim it and you'll inspect it once they're done, or you may offer them help, some people prefer to trim their bush with the help of someone else.
    Always be careful, make sure not to remove too much or cut too deeply, or you will be leaving ugly marks and risk upsetting the neighbour.
    You could film the whole process and post it on the internet, there seem to be a lot of people very interested in bush-trimming videos, I can't for the life of me understand why...
    Be aware that after a good trim, a lot of stubble will grow back, be careful when coming into contact with that as it may cause itching and skin irritation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

You could always pop in and explain and say your gonna cut it down cause it on your land.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

powly wrote: »
    Basically our next door neighbour had a bush growing from their garden into ours (almost the entire bush was growing into our garden - just the roots were in theirs).

They recently cut the roots of the bush and now the bush is dead and in our garden...
    Push it back into their garden, as that's where the roots came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Legally the overgrowth arises from roots in their garden and so belong to your neighbour. You are entitled to cut the overgrowth on your side but you must return it to your neighbour, alternatively is might cause less hassle if you just asked them to come onto your property and cut it back themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Maybe ask them to supervise you cutting it on your side rather than asking them to cut it on your property. In this crazy culture of claims and judges making out big payments for silly claim, I would be wary asking them to do work on your property in case of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

A few more points to note - the bush is very large and would require multiple trips through our house to dispose of. Theres defo a bit of work here.

We dont have a brown bin (only one bin company services our road).

So we'd have to pay someone to take it away or do multiple runs to a recycling centre nearby.

Its not as simple as 'ah ye just collect it and put in bin'. Obviously not gonna make a fuss for something small like that...

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well in that case you lob it over the fence and say politely, I see you cut the roots off the bush, so I have left the rest of it in for you in case you want it for firewood or something.

Advertisement