Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floyd Mayweather - The best ever boxing career

• 19-06-2017 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Just hear me out .

The key in the boxing game is to make as much money as you can and get out with your health in order . The tragedies of the last few months reinforce this.

So lets look at his career

1. Has made an absolutely obscene amount of money . HIs fight with McGregor will add an extra 100 million on this this

2. He has taken virtually no punishement . In 49 fights i can count on one hand the amount of times he was caught flush.

3. He will also have a 50-0 record

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just hear me out .

The key in the boxing game is to make as much money as you can and get out with your health in order . The tragedies of the last few months reinforce this.

So lets look at his career

1. Has made an absolutely obscene amount of money . HIs fight with McGregor will add an extra 100 million on this this

2. He has taken virtually no punishement . In 49 fights i can count on one hand the amount of times he was caught flush.

3. He will also have a 50-0 record

He will only ever have a 50-0 record if he fights a legitimate professional boxer. I am not giving him 50-0 for beating an MMA fighter in a boxing contest.

Earnings wise and health wise his career is the best ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

His 8 defeats as an amateur count against him. Rocky Marciano only lost 4 times as an amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

His 8 defeats as an amateur count against him. Rocky Marciano only lost 4 times as an amateur.

Dont think that changes anything all things considered.

Rocky fought all comers. Floyd does not..

End of.

walshb wrote: »
    Rocky fought all comers. Floyd does not..

End of.

Not really the point i was making.

• Advertisement

Not really the point i was making.

I wasn't replying to your point. I was simply stating a fact.

I wasn't replying to your point. I was simply stating a fact.

I wasnt around during Rockys era so cant comment

I wasnt around during Rockys era so cant comment

I don't think one needs to have been around to make an informed and researched analysis.

I don't think one needs to have been around to make an informed and researched analysis.

Who did mayweather avoid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

49 professional victories against multiple world champions in multiple weight classes, but losing in the amateurs...yeah, that's a deal breaker.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that he avoided anyone.

I said Rocky had to face all comers, being a HW!

Gintonious wrote: »
    49 professional victories against multiple world champions in multiple weight classes, but losing in the amateurs...yeah, that's a deal breaker.

I wonder if there is any sport as corrupt as amateur boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Marciano has a poor resume. Has 4 ATGs on his list in Moore, Charles, Louis and Jersey Joe (arguable) but all were crocked and shot to sh*t. Moore lesser than the rest but he was a LHW and still past prime. Similar enough to Calzaghe who on paper has some fine names but the reality isn't too great. Floyd's resume trumps him handily enough. The whole 49-0 thing is a bit stupid tbh...more so a coincidence than anything else considering Chavez got to like 80 something and 0 before they gave him a draw against Sweet Pea, a fight he clearly lost..

Burial. wrote: »
    Marciano has a poor resume. Has 4 ATGs on his list in Moore, Charles, Louis and Jersey Joe (arguable) but all were crocked and shot to sh*t. Moore lesser than the rest but he was a LHW and still past prime. Similar enough to Calzaghe who on paper has some fine names but the reality isn't too great. Floyd's resume trumps him handily enough. The whole 49-0 thing is a bit stupid tbh...more so a coincidence than anything else considering Chavez got to like 80 something and 0 before they gave him a draw against Sweet Pea, a fight he clearly lost..

Time is very good to boxers . People forget the ins and outs of what happened in their career .

In 30 years time a lot of people will forget Roy Jones was shot when fighting Galzaghe as an example

People also tend to forget Ray Leonard not agreeing to fight Pryor and also the Hagler stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Time is very good to boxers . People forget the ins and outs of what happened in their career .

In 30 years time a lot of people will forget Roy Jones was shot when fighting Galzaghe as an example

People also tend to forget Ray Leonard not agreeing to fight Pryor and also the Hagler stuff

In 30 years people will still not forget the controversy between Ward and Kovalev though and still not give Ward his props :P

I loved watching Calzaghe though...his record is padded, as his KO rate which is hilarious...but a damn brilliant fighter all the same. If only him and Ward were born a few years closer...a fight I've imagined in my head a few times. Also we probably would have seen him embarrass Froch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Do explain please.....

megadodge wrote: »
    Do explain please.....

Really ?

The Aaorn Pryor call and Hagler stuff?

I am a bit unsure what you mean here as well.

Ray Leonard did not duck Pryor.

As for Hagler stuff? What is that, the ring size?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Paul Williams
    Prime Pacquiao
    Antonio Margarito
    Prime Shane Mosley
    Arguably Sergio Martinez
    Arguably Kosta Tzuyu

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Paul Williams
    Prime Pacquiao
    Antonio Margarito
    Prime Shane Mosley
    Arguably Sergio Martinez
    Arguably Kosta Tzuyu

Prime Pacquiao - Manny was afraid of needles - Bob Arum didnt help the situation either but i agree it will be debated
    Antonio Margarito - Well he was justified here wasnt he ?
    Prime Shane Mosley - Beat him to a pulp after Shane came off one of his career best performances
    Arguably Sergio Martinez - Wont be remembered in 30 years
    Arguably Kosta Tzuyu - People will forget him too

• Advertisement

The Aaorn Pryor call and Hagler stuff?

I am a bit unsure what you mean here as well.

Ray Leonard did not duck Pryor.

As for Hagler stuff? What is that, the ring size?

People say he purposely went into retirement instead of fighting Hagler . Then 3 years later he came out of retirement and waited another year before fighting him . People say he waited until Hagler slowed down etc . Quite simialre to peoples argument re Floyd and Manny

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Prime Pacquiao - Manny was afraid of needles - Bob Arum didnt help the situation either but i agree it will be debated
    Antonio Margarito - Well he was justified here wasnt he ?
    Prime Shane Mosley - Beat him to a pulp after Shane came off one of his career best performances
    Arguably Sergio Martinez - Wont be remembered in 30 years
    Arguably Kosta Tzuyu - People will forget him too

Pacquiao Avoidance, there was **** for years so you can swing either side on that one but the fight got done after Pacquiao had lost twice. I dont think thats a coincedince.

Margarito loaded gloves, fair enough, point taken.

Mosley yeah had just beat up Margarito, but wasnt a prime Margarito and you cant say Mosley was anywhere near his best.

Tzuyu & Martinez... what does being remembered have to do with it? Both were very dangerous opponents for Floyd talked about at 140 and 154 respectively, but he chose to fight Judah and a washed up, Pac Beaten Cotto at those weights instead.

Whatever about Floyd and I won't go through all his career, the whole demanding drugs tests for Manny was absolute nonsense and ridiculous. Floyd must have saw something he didn't like and wanted to stall.

Personally I thought he would have beaten any version of Manny. And even IF Floyd genuinely believe that Manny was juicing, so what. Floyd is at least a weight naturally bigger.

JMM and Bradley and others got in the ring, and Bradley and JMM got wins.

What exactly was Floyd unsure of here?

He stalled the fight for several years. The calling for Olympic style drugs testing was his tactic...

People say he purposely went into retirement instead of fighting Hagler . Then 3 years later he came out of retirement and waited another year before fighting him . People say he waited until Hagler slowed down etc . Quite simialre to peoples argument re Floyd and Manny

And how does this look bad on Ray? He was the WW moving up, the inactive WW moving up to meet one of boxing's most feared men. If anything the fight the fight looked terrible for Marvin in losing to an inactive blown up WW.

I thought Hagler looked awful in the fight and not all to do with Ray's talent either.

And how does this look bad on Ray? He was the WW moving up, the inactive WW moving up to meet one of boxing's most feared men. If anything the fight the fight looked terrible for Marvin in losing to an inactive blown up WW.

I thought Hagler looked awful in the fight and not all to do with Ray's talent either.

I agree with you . Just playing Devils advocate here

Whatever about Floyd and I won't go through all his career, the whole demanding drugs tests for Manny was absolute nonsense and ridiculous. Floyd must have saw something he didn't like and wanted to stall.

Personally I thought he would have beaten any version of Manny. And even IF Floyd genuinely believe that Manny was juicing, so what. Floyd is at least a weight naturally bigger.

JMM and Bradley and others got in the ring, and Bradley and JMM got wins.

What exactly was Floyd unsure of here?

He stalled the fight for several years. The calling for Olympic style drugs testing was his tactic...

Would you not agree for 80 million dollars ?

Would you not agree for 80 million dollars ?

To OSDT?

That's not the issue. I am not talking about Manny. I am talking about Floyd and his bringing in this obstacle. For me it was out of the blue and had never been done before as far as I know. Why exactly did he do it? Did he really fear a man a weight or two smaller? Did he not see how JMM handled Manny, how Bradley handled Manny?

I agree with you . Just playing Devils advocate here

I like that...a man after my own heart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I didn't say that he avoided anyone.

I said Rocky had to face all comers, being a HW!

I know this thread is about Mayweather but i read an article about Marciano a couple of years ago and he did avoid some of the top contenders of his day, his management steered him away from the bigger heavies who were operating at the time. There was a notable No.1 contender called Nino Valdez who was 6ft 4 with a 79 inch reach who the rock avoided.
    Being a white Italian champ he was also under pressure to stay champ so a few fleet footed fast slick black fighters never got a chance either. Saying that at 5ft 10 and 185 pounds he was one hardy b*****d :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think no modern fighter will ever equal the careers of the old timers anyway, men like Sugar Ray Robinson who only lost 6 times in his first 150 fights and was a world champion when you actually were a world champion!
    Or Willy Pep- 241 fights with 229 wins or Henry Armstrong who held 3 titles in 3 different weights at the same time.

Advertisement