Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off to France/Spain - what do i need

Options
  • 19-06-2017 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

so I am off to France and Spain in the bongo soon, and want to do a checklist of things i need to make sure I am legal in both SPain and France.

I have the following:
    • French Breathalysers
    • Bulbs
    • Warning Triangles
    • Hi Viz Jackets for all
    • Licence
    • insurance cert
    • Log book
    • Room for lots of wine on the way back!

Is there anything else I should bring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Spare glasses for anyone with a prescription.

IIRC breathalyzers aren't required in France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

EHIC card - something we regretted not having when one of the kids needed to visit the doctor in France.
    European two pin plug adapter for your power cable - less common than they used to be on sites but you could be caught out all the same.
    Depending on how long you're going for, either bring enough gas to last the full trip or plan to change your regulator/connection when you run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

In France one needs Plastic Lenses Stuck on over Headlights . This adjusts beams for driving on R Hand Side of Road.AA Shops were supplying them when I drove in France.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Large scale map/book of maps to supplement the sat nav is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Not necessarily something you bring but have you got breakdown insurance through Mondial or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

thanks for the advice guys. Never thought of the EHIC - applied for them. I have the headlight stickers, and an IRL sticker. Also have some large maps.

In terms of breakdown, I have ADAC membership, which should get me and van home if required. Couldnt find anyone in Ireland to cover me (it's over 20 yrs old)

really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lennymc wrote: »
    thanks for the advice guys. Never thought of the EHIC - applied for them. I have the headlight stickers, and an IRL sticker. Also have some large maps.

In terms of breakdown, I have ADAC membership, which should get me and van home if required. Couldnt find anyone in Ireland to cover me (it's over 20 yrs old)

really looking forward to it!

Unless you are going into Switzerland the IRL flag on your numbet plate is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC breathalyzers aren't required in France

Strictly speaking, they are (well, to have one, just one) ... but there is no penalty for not complying with the law! :pac:

If your route is likely to take you through Lille, Paris, Lyon or Grenoble, you'll need a Crit'Air vignette to drive within the pollution-contol zones. Foreign reg vehicles are not exempt.

There may be similar restrictions/obligations for the parts of Spain you'll be visiting, but I'm not familiar with the situation there at the moment (have been enjoying the frustration of no-go areas in Belgium and Germany recently instead :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Strictly speaking, they are (well, to have one, just one) ... but there is no penalty for not complying with the law! :pac:

If your route is likely to take you through Lille, Paris, Lyon or Grenoble, you'll need a Crit'Air vignette to drive within the pollution-contol zones. Foreign reg vehicles are not exempt.

I've driven all over Europe many times as far away as Romania and Greece, being from Ireland I have no choice but to go via France, what is Crit'Air vignette ? I dont know what that is, could you explain it in plain english please ?

I've driven all over Europe many times as far away as Romania and Greece, being from Ireland I have no choice but to go via France, what is Crit'Air vignette ? I dont know what that is, could you explain it in plain english please ?

Your permission (or not) to enter a "Low Emission Zone" - see this thread, post #42 onwards for some discussion on the topic.

I've come up against the rules three times recently - Paris, Antwerp & Frankfurt, but only Antwerp is/will be a real problem for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Wont be going near those cities so wont need the Crit'Air vignette. Did read up on it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Your permission (or not) to enter a "Low Emission Zone" - see this thread, post #42 onwards for some discussion on the topic.

I've come up against the rules three times recently - Paris, Antwerp & Frankfurt, but only Antwerp is/will be a real problem for me.

Thanks for the link and info.
    The only problem I have with Antwerp is that darn spaghetti junction, I end up going round and round half a dozen times before I can get off it lol So I do my best to avoid having to go that way :)

Of all the times I've driven through Europe, I never once knew about that rule and no one ever stopped me to ask me, I just keep on driving :D

My sister lives in Frankfurt and didn't know about the rule either, until I told her I couldn't park in her street because I didn't have a green sticker!

Ooohhhh, that's what that is?!!

FWIW, before going to see her recently, and based on her comment that there was an industrial estate beside her with lots of HGVs passing through,I e-mailed Frankfurt tourism and asked if the LEZ applied to a particular road through the middle of the estate (based on the map, it did). The response was "yes, get a sticker or get fined". I decided to trust my sister's instinct instead, and sure enough, the LEZ doesn't include the industrial estate.

Moral of the story: the rules are fluid! But do your research for each country, and know what roadsigns to look out for.

Advertisement