Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day @ Royal Hospital Kilmainham - 29 June 2017

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Spot on about the sound at the start lads. When a good bit away from the stage the sound just evaporated into the air and you couldn't get a buzz off it.

Gig was brilliant all the same - wouldn't know anything really since 21 Guns but used unknown songs as a piss break.

Kilmainham was a nice location for a gig - Short walk from Heuston and when in there, there's a lot of space to move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Great gig last night, they really give your moneys worth. Could have done with a little less of the chanting and Bono like rants but overall they never let you down. Set list fab as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Green Day always give good value for their audience, I was there with my 14yr old daughter for her first open air concert and I told her that she was spoiled - not every band works as hard on stage as Green Day.

I agree with the comments about the sound however, vocals were very low and overall it sounded flat and lacked sparkle... not a patch on the sound at Marlay the last time they played here. The stage setup was also scaled back, no run wings or stage screens this time.

The sheer energy and showmanship of the band made up for it though. They have been on the go for decades and still look and sound like they enjoy it every time.

An honourable mention for Rancid too - they did the job in warming up the audience nicely, a good job done on what started out as a miserable weather night. Thankfully it cleared up later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

My second Green Day gig this year. I think Manchester was a little bit better. Maybe because of the sound. Anyway really enjoyed last night. 21 Guns was a super nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

I enjoyed the gig. Sound was pretty dreadful once you left the main body of the crowd (to go to toilets/ get a beer) .. once you moved beyond the big screen. Can't say I noticed a huge amount of people with their phones out. Took a few pictures myself (three to be precise).

Not a huge fan of outdoor gigs in general, but thought there was a good atmosphere and where I was the crowd certainly seemed to be well into it. First time seeing Green Day, and thought they did very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

D3V!L wrote: »

Two things that were very apparent is the crowd just weren't into it, they seemed very bored or sedated. Also the sheer amount of people filming it on phones and blocking the line of site to the stage was unreal.

It was a bit mixed in Dublin - pockets of people who were really into the music and other groups who clearly just got tickets to drink with lads cause it was an outdoor gig. There were two guys who may as well have been a wall in front of me, not moving, not singing... and another group beside us who kept talking right through it, including over the acoustic songs :mad:

I think outdoor gigs are often like that though. People go for the day out and the pints and the Snapchat posts... Marlay Park in 2010 was a better crowd, but GD were huuuge at the time and most people knew all the new stuff. The singles from 21CB were a lot more popular than the RevRad ones, and I think a lot of people laat night just switched off if they didn't know the song. I couldn't really fault the band though*, just wish I'd been surrounded by more enthuastic people!

*Apart from ending the main set with Forever Now. It's not a good closer. (I don't really know it myself tbf but it didn't send them out with a bang - if they switched the order of that and Still Breathing around, it would work better).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Forever Now was a strange one alright. Even on the album it's not a standout track. Never mind all the other strong songs they could have closed with.

I found that the medley after King for a Day really killed the audience. It drags on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Went for Rancid. They sounded great and a largely good set.

Haven't really ever been in to Green Day but thought they might put on a good show. I was wrong. Mortified for whatever that ridiculous cabaret show was supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

PraxisPete wrote: »
    Went for Rancid. They sounded great and a largely good set.

Haven't really ever been in to Green Day but thought they might put on a good show. I was wrong. Mortified for whatever that ridiculous cabaret show was supposed to be.

I was there too and glad someone finally called it out.

The big difference though is that GD have got some great songs and Rancid don't really...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thought the second girl getting up on stage was absolutely fab, she really gave it socks. Way cool also was when Billy threw the mic out into the crowd, but when he gave the kid his guitar.....that was pure class

We were on the path, just left and back slightly from the big screen, I thought the sound was ok.

For a sellout show, I thought the place was pretty empty, there was thousands more at it when I went to see Blur there a few years back. I reckon plenty cried off with the weather, but in fairness, it didn't turn out all that bad.

Played all the classics:) ....except September :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seve OB wrote: »
    For a sellout show,
    It didn't sell out, you could buy tickets for several days before and I think right up to the end. I wonder how many went unsold. There were plenty selling them cheap on toutless too, likely stuck with them.

rubadub wrote: »
    It didn't sell out, you could buy tickets for several days before and I think right up to the end. I wonder how many went unsold. There were plenty selling them cheap on toutless too, likely stuck with them.

Well it was sold out. They obviously released production tickets late

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well it was sold out.
    are you saying that they did eventually sell out? if not I do not consider it sold out.
    They obviously released production tickets late
    They obviously released production tickets after they had previously stopped the sale of tickets and declared it "sold out". It is not obvious why they were withheld, this "production" excuse is very convenient. Since the rise of seatwave there appears to be more of these so called "production tickets" being released, and I do not think it is any coincidence.

If you look at posts from the start of the sale of kings of leon tickets it is very clear to me that they are calculatedly withholding tickets, they were initially offering people terrible seats, as standing was reportedly sold out, people were panic buying, you could get far better seats days later and standing tickets days and weeks later, then months later. This was 3arena, not some outdoor unknown setup. I do not go as far as some consipracy theorists and think ticketmaster are selling the tickets on seatwave themselves, but they are certainly generating huge profit from seatwave fees with this underhanded hype & panic.

The average price of greenday tickets sold on seatwave was €94 (I noted this yesterday when tickets selling below face). The buyers were paying more than that with the seatwave fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

*Apart from ending the main set with Forever Now. It's not a good closer. (I don't really know it myself tbf but it didn't send them out with a bang - if they switched the order of that and Still Breathing around, it would work better).

Have to disagree here, it was a bit of a grower for me on the album but I think it works really well live. The ending has a great sing-along feel, if only more people knew the words.

Overall a really good gig though, setlist was really strong, only thing different I would've liked would be 2000 Light Years Away which Belfast got, but a solid performance regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

Brilliant gig, the girl who got onstage during Longview was an absolute legend! I really hope they come back to Ireland again in the next few years

Did anyone go to the after party in fibbers? We stuck with old reliable Coppers and they played a few green day songs, met a few there who had been at the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Binky Bricktop

I was at the gig last night with my 15 year old Daughter - hence being sober!

I agree with a lot of the comments, but find some of them amusing. Firstly, the weather didn't help at the start - we arrived halfway through Rancid's set which was really good. They seemed to have the crowd on their side, it was good to see a lot of the people around us knew their stuff - first time hearing them for us, but we enjoyed them all the same.

We were standing in front of the lighting rig about 3/4 quarters back, so close enough. It was my Daughter's first outside gig - we had seen Green Day in Manchester and she was desperate to see them again. In my humble opinion, Manchester was better. I'm so glad she got to see them there as her first gig.

Just a few points, was really fed up with the constant phone use around us - taking selfies, phoning people, twitter, instagraming and even two idiots doing a facebook live session whilst running past us at one point! Billie even advised people to put their phones away and enjoy the gig. Some people seemed to be there just for a sesh (don't have a problem with that) but it kinda ruined the atmosphere for us.

Sound was OK, not great, but we were outside and it was windy. His vocals seemed lethargic. And I can totally agree with the band losing the crowd during the gig - wished they had cracked on with 'Teenage Kicks' that would have been great. Overall, the venue was great, but a few things didn't click - geat to see the band again though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

What kind of crowd was there, about 50-60k or less? I would really love to see them again and I think, in spite of the weather, an outdoor gig suits them a lot better than somewhere like the 3 arena would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

julyjane wrote: »
    What kind of crowd was there, about 50-60k or less? I would really love to see them again and I think, in spite of the weather, an outdoor gig suits them a lot better than somewhere like the 3 arena would

I'd say more like 12-15k but I've never been good at counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did they basically just leave the main stage up from the Forbidden fruit festival or was it a completely different set up.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Did they basically just leave the main stage up from the Forbidden fruit festival or was it a completely different set up.

Different setup - stage backs onto the hospital/main entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

was really fed up with the constant phone use around us - taking selfies, phoning people, twitter, instagraming and even two idiots doing a facebook live session whilst running past us at one point!

Only went to see Rancid, was surprised to see a girl, with a rancid tattoo, spent most of the set with her back to the stage and her phone in the air taking selfies with the band in the background :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

julyjane wrote: »

The venue doesnt hold anything near that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What were Rancid like?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Rancid were great, Green Day were a bit of a circus act. Just play the fecking songs Billie Joe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

jadie wrote: »
    Rancid were great, Green Day were a bit of a circus act. Just play the fecking songs Billie Joe:rolleyes:

Rancid were okay imo.. rain didn't help the crowd with them.. were much better night before Ib Belfast

With regards to Green Day, they put on a 2.5 half hour show.. 25 song setlist, you certainly get your money worth and a damn fun show with it,
    There's a lot of crowd interaction alright, but I think it keeps people engaged, and this time it was toned down and a lot more on point..

Billie is a front man, a very good one at that..
    A bit of pantomime isnt necessarily a bad thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

ah there was far too much bull coming out of his mouth. I think he lost the crowd tbh half-way. I was nearish the front left side and the circular mosh-pit was more entertaining at one stage. Rancid were excellent

pics

More pics

hot press review
    Live Report: Green Day at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham

Armstrong & Co. storm the RHK.

Armed with enough pyrotechnics and explosives to blow the roof (and back wall, and the bloody doors!) off the average indoor venue, Green Day lit up a grey day at the RHK with a performance that was equal parts earnest charm, infectious energy and concussive bombast.

Indeed, it’s still unclear as to whether the rain cleared up of its own accord, or if the clouds were actually evaporated by the heat from the pillars of flame that arched behind the band, dancing like some hellish version of the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas.

Arena veterans at this stage, the Bay Area punks know exactly how to thrill an audience. The setlist was tastefully sprinkled with offerings from their latest platter, Revolution Radio; and it was impressive to see that songs like the epic ‘Still Breathing’ and the delicate ‘Ordinary World’ already stand toe–to–toe with fan favourites like ‘Basket Case’, ‘Hitching A Ride’, ‘Know Your Enemy’, and ‘Boulevard Of Broken Dreams’ in the singalong stakes.

Audience interaction has always been an important aspect of the band’s live experience and tonight is no exception. Kids are dragged up onstage early doors and the microphone is passed around generously throughout. One lucky fan goes home with a guitar, and special mention must be made of the young fan brought up to sing the final verse and chorus of the band’s breakthrough 1994 hit, ‘Longview’.

Not only did she nail the vocal, but she did it while commandeering the stage like a pro; initiating call and response chants with the crowd, jumping off drum risers, and generally rocking out like she owned the place. We can only hope that she’s gone home to start her own band and to make some serious plans for her next attempt to take the throne.

“King for a day, princess by dawn,” indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Millenials! All confident and sheeeeeeeeet! :)

Advertisement