Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Exams

Options
  • 19-06-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wanted to check are these ever on weekends, and what dates did they run from/to last year? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

Just wanted to check are these ever on weekends, and what dates did they run from/to last year? Thanks

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Can anyone help?

They aren't held on weekends. Last year iirc were from 15th to 26th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    They aren't held on weekends. Last year iirc were from 15th to 26th of August.

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 johndoe97

Have ye any experience of the repeat exams, specifically how do they compare to the initial summer ones? I've failed 3 accounting and finance exams and I'm starting to wonder should I be considering my options. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

johndoe97 wrote: »
    Have ye any experience of the repeat exams, specifically how do they compare to the initial summer ones? I've failed 3 accounting and finance exams and I'm starting to wonder should I be considering my options. Thanks in advance!

What course are you doing?

Failing 3 isn't good. From personal experience I sort of think some of the repeats are that little bit easier however from a career prospective if you are looking to become an accountant any exemptions require above 50% and that's the standard pass rate for Cap 2 and FAE outside college as well.

You need to email those individal lectures asking them for some guidance if they have not put it on web courses.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What course are you doing?

Failing 3 isn't good. From personal experience I sort of think some of the repeats are that little bit easier however from a career prospective if you are looking to become an accountant any exemptions require above 50% and that's the standard pass rate for Cap 2 and FAE outside college as well.

You need to email those individal lectures asking them for some guidance if they have not put it on web courses.

I'm doing accounting and finance. Yeah I got less than 50% in Business Law which means no exemption from the CAP1 exam for that module, is it possible to repeat this module in Year 3 I wonder or is that it done with?

I'm doing accounting and finance. Yeah I got less than 50% in Business Law which means no exemption from the CAP1 exam for that module, is it possible to repeat this module in Year 3 I wonder or is that it done with?

You can't repeat it in DIT but can with CAI outside college. Know a lot of people who just about scrap the 50%. Since they changed the Companies Act (first exams May 2016) it's much harder to learn.

You can't repeat it in DIT but can with CAI outside college. Know a lot of people who just about scrap the 50%. Since they changed the Companies Act (first exams May 2016) it's much harder to learn.

Couldn't get over how many of my class got below 50% tbh, exam seemed relatively ok and we all had good percentages going into it from group work...............are you in the accountancy profession yourself if you don't mind me asking Jamie2k9?

Couldn't get over how many of my class got below 50% tbh, exam seemed relatively ok and we all had good percentages going into it from group work...............are you in the accountancy profession yourself if you don't mind me asking Jamie2k9?

Qualified but not currently doing it. My brother just graduated from this course. this second year results were bad (2:2 average) but he managed to get a (2:1) this year. Much better results.

Wouldn't worry to much about the Law result, it tends to be 50/50 for those who get the 50%.

If you specialize in accounting side net year you can do well but it will require a lot of extra work but I also feel there is less pressure in terms of assignments which helps.

Qualified but not currently doing it. My brother just graduated from this course. this second year results were bad (2:2 average) but he managed to get a (2:1) this year. Much better results.

Wouldn't worry to much about the Law result, it tends to be 50/50 for those who get the 50%.

If you specialize in accounting side net year you can do well but it will require a lot of extra work but I also feel there is less pressure in terms of assignments which helps.

That's encouraging I'll be needing a massive year next year to drag results up.

• Advertisement

That's encouraging I'll be needing a massive year next year to drag results up.

Tax, Auditing, Finance are ones you can do really well in, particularly with Tax and Audit (70%+ is doable). Critical Analysis is a pain but it's with various lectures and most get between 60-70%.

M Accounting and Adv Fin Reporting involve a lot more study as they don't exactly narrow down what will be on the exam but one important thing is do not miss Adv Fin Reporting lectures. She dons't put things on webcourses until sections are covered in class and even at that unless you were there it will be hard to follow.

Tax, Auditing, Finance are ones you can do really well in, particularly with Tax and Audit (70%+ is doable). Critical Analysis is a pain but it's with various lectures and most get between 60-70%.

M Accounting and Adv Fin Reporting involve a lot more study as they don't exactly narrow down what will be on the exam but one important thing is do not miss Adv Fin Reporting lectures. She dons't put things on webcourses until sections are covered in class and even at that unless you were there it will be hard to follow.

Any idea of what Fin Serv and Fin Institutions is like? or how students generally get on with it?

Any idea of what Fin Serv and Fin Institutions is like? or how students generally get on with it?

Not really sure, the majority will pick Audit, Tax, M Acc and Fin Reporting (all those require 50% to get exemptions).

Most of my mates never picked the other which are more finance based.

Not really sure, the majority will pick Audit, Tax, M Acc and Fin Reporting (all those require 50% to get exemptions).

Most of my mates never picked the other which are more finance based.

Ah ok I'm in the same boat most of mine are looking down the accountancy route too. Did you or your mates apply for big4 or have any luck with them?

Ah ok I'm in the same boat most of mine are looking down the accountancy route too. Did you or your mates apply for big4 or have any luck with them?

You can spend the first week or two going to others as well before making a final module decision. Even if they don't mention it to you, just go along and see as you have time before you must register for modules.

I trained with a big 4 but it's not all what it's cracked up to be. Smaller firms are just as good if not better from a learning prospective.

You can spend the first week or two going to others as well before making a final module decision. Even if they don't mention it to you, just go along and see as you have time before you must register for modules.

I trained with a big 4 but it's not all what it's cracked up to be. Smaller firms are just as good if not better from a learning prospective.

I find the college is so vague in what they tell you its unbelievable, asking people like yourself or others is the only way to find out what is ahead of you. Yeah have heard people start training with them and quickly regret it, its just a name on a CV for a lot of people I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

nunu123 wrote: »
    Anyone know if i will get accepted in a masters programme in DIT if I have two repeats from my final year undergraduate course? After the repeats I'll get a 2.1 and thats my requirement.

Which masters programme for example the Accounting masters requires a 2:1 and all Cap 1 exemptions (50%+ on some key modules).

If its another masters and 2:1 is the requirement I don't see why they would refuse you.

Hi does anyone have any experience of repeating a year externally in DIT or know of anyone who has? Just wondering is the result still capped? i.e. know matter how well you do in exam result is capped at 40%.....and would anyone have any ideas of the fees involved for repeating externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andreas gross

Due to financial issues, I just payed all my fees for my last years in college now(yesterday).
    Today I opened DIT student online services to see which subjects I have to repeat. I realized that 9 of my modules are marked as differed, why that? I did defer 2 of them, so I was expecting to repeat only 7(I have chosen to repeat dude to personal circumstances, working, and looking after family while in college at the same time).

The worse part of the story is, my current job in a tech company wants me to handle all my final year results as a pass, before January 2019. So now, if I can't fix this mistake, do you think that DIT will let me get all the possible marks(with exams, assessments, assignments) before January 2019?

I can go to DIT next Wednesday only, I will let you know how things are going...

• Advertisement
Advertisement