Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map images

Options
  • 19-06-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Does anyone know when the images of Galway in either Google or Bing maps were taken?

I want to see what year something was in place in Salthill - I can see it on the maps, but I dont know what year those images were captured.

I have a feeling I heard before that the google images are 2009, and bing are 2007, but Im not sure if thats right - anyone know, or know how to figure out when I am looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you mean the streetview images then it's on the image itself.

Bottom right corner and also in the pic
    Screenshot_from_2017-06-19_15-10-57.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Does anyone know when the images of Galway in either Google or Bing maps were taken?

I want to see what year something was in place in Salthill - I can see it on the maps, but I dont know what year those images were captured.

I have a feeling I heard before that the google images are 2009, and bing are 2007, but Im not sure if thats right - anyone know, or know how to figure out when I am looking at?

If you look at the left side of Google maps it will show you the date when the picture you are looking at was taken, move the map to the place you want and see what date it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Thanks, I can see 'Image Capture: Jun 2009' in Street view alright, but its the satellite view I am looking for.
    In Satellite Image, the bottom (right hand) of the screen says
    Imagery @2017 Google. Map data @2017 Google
    In Map Image, the bottom (right hand) of the screen says
    Map data @2017 Google

But those images definitely aren't from 2017

Bing also just seems to say @2017 on the bottom right, but it isn't a 2017 image

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Google Maps street view car was in Newcastle on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm pretty sure Google maps used to have the year watermarked onto the image tiles but that seems to be gone now.

If you fire up Google Earth you'll be able to get the dates as well as being able to flick back through a history of satelite images. The current Galway City images seem to be 2012.
    https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148094?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

You could use the historical imagery tool in Google Earth to try and figure out when the satellite imagery was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

That historical imagery on Google earth is the perfect solution. You guys are pure geniuses! Ta very much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement