Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill Your Babies - N64 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

1080 Snowboarding
    Banjo-Kazooie And/or Banjo-Tooie
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

So long Cruis'n USA, you will not be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Kill: Yoshi's Story

Nowhere near as good as Yoshi's Island. Very disappointing followup.

I either didn't know Yoshis Story existed, or I forgot. Was it just marketed terribly? End of console life title? Non-Euro release? (that happened with Mario RPG right?)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I either didn't know Yoshis Story existed, or I forgot. Was it just marketed terribly? End of console life title? Non-Euro release? (that happened with Mario RPG right?)

Retronauts had an episode on it. It was a very ugly game using the horrible donkey Kong country rendering technique so managed to look even worse than the first game on SNES. Also if you played it as a straight platformer it was very easy and could be beaten in 2 hours. It never clicked with me.

However the person on Retronauts said there was tonnes of hidden stuff in it. It wasn't about finishing levels but exploring them which would unlock lots more hidden stuff. The mechanics to do this however were kind of obtuse and you needed the manual to figure it out.

I'd like to try it again and play it properly but I doubt it will match the original.

It definitely got a euro release but reviewed poorly. Most reviewers didn't realise how to play it properly and said it was a game for babies. After hearing how to play it properly I can't really blame them for thinking that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CatInABox wrote: »
    I can see its flaws, but name a console FPS released around the same time that's still fun to play?

Disruptor on Playstation. Great campy sci-fi FMV sequences and a really fun, if basic, shooter which still holds up because it focused on the Doom template for the most part and played to the limitations of the system.

Think it was one of Insomniac Games first releases too, and it still looks half-decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't like Disruptor. Looked gorgeous at the time but it was really basic even by doom clone standards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Doom or exhumed on the Saturn. Also on N64 the Turok games are still a lot of fun. They get a lot of stick now undeservedly. The only issue I'd have is the ****ty platforming sections in the first game. The recent rereleaes by nightdive have been great as well.

Wasn't Doom on the Saturn the worst version going? With terrible music and framerate?

And Turok was terrible, even ignoring the motion sickness it gave me, you could only see about ten feet in front of you.

I don't know anything about Exhumed.

Personally, I'd go back to Goldeneye in a heartbeat, but I'd hesitate before going back to Turok or a bad version of Doom.

Doom on the Saturn was indeed disgraceful but the plays ration port was great and doom 64 was really good.

I played turk on pc and n64 recently and was surprised it was quite a lot of fun.

Goldeneye on the other hand I find it hard to go back to. The framers is criminal and there's a few really badly designed levels. The tank level on particular is a total stinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If there was a way to play Goldeneye properly (aka with an N64 controller) and a decent framerate, I'd still be playing it. Loved it. But on the N64 itself, it really is hard to go back to such a terrible framerate.

With regards to Turok, wouldn't bother with the first one, but the second fixed a lot of the bad points of the first, and gave us one of the most gruesome game weapons ever, the Cerebral Bore, which I loved.

The first one is still a lot of fun but the platformer is horrendous. The developer even admitted to putting them in to extend the length of the game because of the rental industry :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The first one is still a lot of fun but the platformer is horrendous. The developer even admitted to putting them in to extend the length of the game because of the rental industry :)

Haha, he's a cheeky s**t.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Haha, he's a cheeky s**t.

It was at the bequest of the publisher. At least they fixed it in the second game!

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Another Star Wars games killed, this time Episode 1: Racer. For me, this was just pure hype and marketing, but also suffers from the fact that it's based on that steaming pile that is Episode 1.

Episode 1 Racer was probably the only good thing to come from Episode 1 :( It was no F-zero but I really liked it.

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Scrapping Jet Force Gemini. It wasn't an awful game at all and it looked pretty good but you were always fighting the awful controls. In the Rare Replay package on the Xbox One, they actually updated the control scheme and it's a much better game for it, but the N64 version just suffers.

The Golden Era of Couch 4-player Casual Competitive fun :o

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, The Mario Parties, Mario Golf and Tennis.
    Racing Games like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X and Wave Race 64.
    The Multiplayer modes of Conkers Bad Fur day and Bomberman 64.
    The fighting of WWF No Mercy and Super Smash Bros.....

God what an amazing time to have 3 mates over

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Episode 1 Racer was probably the only good thing to come from Episode 1 :( It was no F-zero but I really liked it.

Was actually saying recently, the best Episode 1 based game was probably the arcade "Pod Racer" game, with the dual thruster controls.

The Golden Era of Couch 4-player Casual Competitive fun :o

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, The Mario Parties, Mario Golf and Tennis.
    Racing Games like Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero X and Wave Race 64.
    The Multiplayer modes of Conkers Bad Fur day and Bomberman 64.
    The fighting of WWF No Mercy and Super Smash Bros.....

God what an amazing time to have 3 mates over

I was dumbfounded the PS2 kept the 2 controller port design after how well the N64 did. Meant the PS2 was never really used for multiplayer while the Xbox and especially the Gamecube was dragged out to every party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was dumbfounded the PS2 kept the 2 controller port design after how well the N64 did. Meant the PS2 was never really used for multiplayer while the Xbox and especially the Gamecube was dragged out to every party.

16-player Halo LAN parties were my introduction to the concept of multiplayer :cool:

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Bomberman 64. A decent bomberman game. Lousy single player but who the hell plays that. the main issue is it's only 4 player. not a patch on 10 player Saturn bomberman or even 5 player bomberman '93 on the PC Engine/Turbografx 16.

• Advertisement

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

I don't recall playing Exciteabike much, but I'm gonna kill it anyway, it doesn't deserve to be on a list with F-Zero and Diddy Kong Racing.
    I guess you could say.... i was not excited

Damn, Excitebike was amazing on N64. Pretty sure it was the last published game by Nintendo on the system so plenty of people missed out but it was a brilliant racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

I'm going to kill glover, for the simple fact it's the one game I haven't played on the list. I've never actually cane across the game for sale either

What? Never heard of it? But you've got to love the glove!

Glover was one of the best and criminally ignored platforms on the n64. I'd take it over any of the rare games.

Also rocket on wheels was amazing. The team went on to make the sly racoon series.

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

It may be controversial, but I'm going to rule out Diddy Kong Racing. I'd poured hours and hours into Mario Kart 64 by the time this came out, and this just never caught on with my group.

I've also crossed out Glover, DaGamers choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    Bomberman 64
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Cruis'n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Excitebike 64
    F-Zero X
    Glover
    Jet Force Gemini
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party 1, 2 & 3
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64
    Yoshi's Story

Goodnight to Rogue Squadron. Decent game, but can't stand in the company of others on this list, so has to go some time.

1080 Snowboarding
    Blast Corps
    F-Zero X
    Mario Golf
    Mario Tennis
    Paper Mario
    Pilotwings 64
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    Wave Race 64

Kirby 64. There's two types of Kirby game. When Kirby is tandard Kirby you get good games. When Kirby is weird Kirby you get exceptional games. Kirby 64 is unfortunately the former.

1080 snowboarding would be my choice to go. I always felt cool boarders in ps1 was a better snowboarding game.

• Advertisement

What? Never heard of it? But you've got to love the glove!

I've heard of it alright, I have just never played it.

Advertisement