Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optional Vaccines

Options
  • 19-06-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in Spain and we have a boy of age 6 weeks. His 2 month check up is in 2 weeks and the doctors will give him some shots.

They are all free apart from the Rotavirus one (rotateq) and Meningitus B (bexsero).

The doctor says these are optional, some parents get them some do not.

They are really expensive (bexsero at over ?100 for the one shot) and rotateq is around ?70 but you need 3.

Is this the case in Ireland? Are these shots extra / optional and what have people here done?

Obviously I want to err on the side of caution and just get the extras for peace of mind even if there's little chance of infection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Men b is free here for babies born after 1st October 2016, but can be paid for privately for those born before that. It's €110 per shot (2-3 needed), plus €30 for it to be administered each time.
    I think rotavirus has also been put on the schedule, but not sure about the cost of getting it privately.
    Chicken pox vaccine is also optional, but I'm not sure how much it costs.
    I've gotten my two boys vaccinated for men b, but not the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Rotavirus is included in the new schedule in Ireland. It's given as oral drops at 2 and 4 months, and will not be administered after 8 months (I'm not sure why).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My wee boy was born at the end of January 2017, and getsboth of these vaccines free of charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Chicken pox cost varies by pharmacy. It was 125 for us 3 years ago.

Delighted to hear rotavirus is on the schedule now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We paid €175 per shot for men b but that including the administration, my son needed 2 shots. We got half back from our health insurance. I am also going to get the chicken pox one.....it's €100 per shot and my son needs 2!

• Advertisement
Advertisement