Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City centre

Options
  • 19-06-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Are the quarters on the site corkcitycentre.ie official and are they talked about? What is the small quarter bordering north main street/The Marsh with no name? Is the website even official? Just curious as I was not really aware of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The only one I can think of is the area down by French church street with the hugenout cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

No, not really official.

It seems everyone is trying to 'brand' their areas now. You have Washington Village (Washington St., Hanover St. and parts of South/North Main St.). The Victorian Quarter (McCurtain St. area). You have buildings which are 'quarters' (Trinity Quarter on Sullivan's Quay, City Quarter on Lapp's Quay). New developments which create new quarters, including Atlantic Quarter (probably now dead). I think there were proposed "Port" and "Marina" quarters too.

We really aren't an imaginative lot! In any case; no, they're not official names.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can a city have more than 4 quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those modern day 'quarters' were dreamt up by developers and/or business associations and not official. Like the Wild Atlantic Way just a form of branding and marketing.

Huguenot Quarter is historic, but again not really an 'official' area with boundaries to be found on a map.

The city is divided into Wards, which are official areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I've also seen the 'University Quarter' mentioned and of course in my own neck of the woods :)

2yvngbm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement