Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Thailand, Cambodia and similar with a disability

Options
  • 19-06-2017 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

A bit of background first:

Ive a form of Cerebral Palsy where I can still get around fairly independently. I can walk and do a lot of day to day stuff. Im just back from 2 months working abroad and it's given me a taste for more solo travel.

I've always wanted to see more of the world - Thailand is especially on the list. The thing is most friends are either married up, not interested in going there or don't have the cash. So I was thinking to just do a few places solo every year, beginning in January as that's when Thailand is meant to be at it's best.

So two questions really:

Has anyone here with a disability found solo travel particularly difficult in any countries?

And

If you don't have a disability, what do you think might be tricky in places like this? Obviously I wont be going hill climbing or conquering mountains ;), but what else might be a no no?

One colleague advised in booking hotels in advance in wherever I plan to go in Thailand and then doing whatever excursions I can from them. Thoughts on this?

All advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

If you are going solo then depending on age I'd be looking at hostels just to increase the potential to meet people. Even private rooms in hostels as the common area can make it easy to meet people and also usually cheaper to book trips in hostels as opposed to hotels

It really depends on how your cerebral palsy affects you on a daily basis. Both countries are relatively easy to get around, particularly Thailand, so it would be good to start there. The people are friendly and there is good independent travelling scene there. I haven't got a disability however I have meet people on my travels who have had minor disabilities and it hasn't stopped them so I'd go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

If you don't have a disability, what do you think might be tricky in places like this? Obviously I wont be going hill climbing or conquering mountains , but what else might be a no no?

Just be mindful that traversing the pavements can be a real chore in SE Asia.

Not only is the path surface often jagged, uneven, pot-holed and in some cases entirely missing, it's also chock full of vendors carts, plastic seating, oil/water/grease, domestic animals and rubbish. Not insurmountable by any means, but just requires a little extra care and attention as to where you're placing your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Crossing the road in that part of the world can be fairly challenging with mopeds flying at you from all angles (Cambodia/Vietnam moreso than Thailand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

Great feedback so far and all points brought up I'm pretty sure are, thankfully, surmountable.

Re: "pavements can be a real chore in SE Asia" - are they similar to the cobblestone madness around the Quays bar area of Temple Bar for example? The cobblestones around that area seem to be very unpredictable so I always look down.

More thoughts welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Crossing the road can be a bit hairy at first especially in Vietnam and Cambodia.The best advice I was given was just to walk out into the road and the motorbikes will go around you.it's like a hawk flying through a flock of starling's.

Re. the foothpaths.You will be constantly made to walk on the road as the paths are full of trees,lamp posts,vendors,guys asleep on their motorbikes,businesses overflowing onto the road etc.

Transport wise it's very easy get around,all the hostels and hotels will organise this for you.The bus/mini bus will collect you at your door and and drop you at the door of your next destination.A couple of euro will work wonders if they dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

The footpaths are usually quite small, badly maintained and people setup shop on them. Also public transport is not very disabled friendly, there can be lots of steps at train stations etc. It's worse in Cambodia due to lack of funds more than anything else. Sounds like you are reasonably mobile, there is good public transport in Thailand and taxis are cheap. I have seen tourists in wheelchairs there and a lot of expats are elderly so they are used to dealing with people with mobility issues, the people will be fine it's just the infrastructure may not be.

If you've anything specific in mind pm me, I've been to both Thailand and Cambodia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The footpaths in Thailand are a challenge for an able bodied person never mind anyone with a disability or weaknesses. There is often a huge step drop off and I damn nearly broke my ankle when I accidentally stood into a storm drain in Bangkok before. I'd say go for it just be careful, life is too short for maybes and what ifs.

Advertisement